As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] FemShep Trailer Released. USE SPOILER TAGS

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the very first thing I thought of Sovereign on Eden Prime was that he looked a lot different from the other geth

PNk1Ml4.png
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote:
    Lemming wrote:
    Tell me again, since you keep dodging the question: how do you propose the Council races and humanity are supposed to fight against the Reapers, considering there are thousands of them and it took a large part of the Council fleet and the majority of the Alliance fleet to barely kill a single Reaper? 8->

I just wanted to comment on this part since I just finished replaying 1 to make a canon run on my PC and a lot of people keep saying it. It took a lot of the FIFTH fleet to defeat the Reapers. This implies that there are at least four other fleets. We can't even really say that it took a majority of that fleet, since we know the names of the ships that fell, but we have no idea of the sizes of those ships or the number of ships in the fifth fleet.

There's also the fact that the Turians have a stronger naval presence than humans, and their intervention (aside from a very small force on site) wasn't necessary to bring down Sovereign. "We didn't want to cramp your style!" Yeah, right. They are interested in round two, though, given their initiative to develop the Thanix weapon and other technology.

And another Saren or two (or engineering academy or three) lost would just spice things up.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Did they ever explain how the Virmire survivor got better from the Collector sting on Horizon?

best thing we can do is give the base to the geth, since they won't be indoctrinated and they are good at developing new tech (thermal clips)

PNk1Ml4.png
    Did they ever explain how the Virmire survivor got better from the Collector sting on Horizon?

nope, my guess is s/he's secretly an evil clone

PNk1Ml4.png
    edited February 2012
    -Tal wrote:
    best thing we can do is give the base to the geth, since they won't be indoctrinated and they are good at developing new tech (thermal clips)

The trick would be getting them to accept it.

Well, technically, the trick would be getting them to show up. One platform does not a investigative team make.

And then you'd have to get them to actually do something beneficial, instead of stand perfectly still until you left and then converting the whole thing into a stealth space station the Reapers wouldn't even notice. Think about it: past the Omega Relay, completely isolated from organic life, Geth resistance to the dangerous radiation--it's literally the perfect spot for their exile dyson sphere.

There's also a (slim) chance you'd get another heretical "oopsies!" and we'd go do the whole human kidnapping/killing song and dance again, but that's fairly unlikely, compared to the other two, which are pretty much guaranteed to happen, at least for a while (by Geth standards).

Synthesis on
    edited February 2012
    the geth can't possibly still be interested in sticking their heads in the sand, not when the reapers are here for real

like, they understand the reapers won't let them live, right? at best they'll be reprogrammed into keeper replacements.

there's nowhere they can hide, even beyond the Omega relay, because the reapers will be extra careful this time after how much trouble Ilos caused them

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote:
    the geth can't possibly still be interested in sticking their heads in the sand, not when the reapers are here for real

like, they understand the reapers won't let them live, right? at best they'll be reprogrammed into keeper replacements.

Couldn't they theoretically just power down and take naps and wait for them to leave?

edited February 2012
    Only if they vote on it enough times.

I mean, they had direct knowledge of the Reapers this whole time--thanks to FTL communication and acceptance of their heretic population--and did nothing. Then they sent out one dancing platform with a little bit of a crush on Shepard, and kept doing nothing.

It's obvious they're better prepared than any organic space-faring species--what with the whole traveling and exploring and not hiding forever--to basically up and vanish, which is their final objective. Would it fool the Reapers? Maybe. Does it matter? It might not. And ultimately, their own rationalizing of the situation of the situation thusfar suggests they're pretty confident and can justify their behavior. Or they're really stupid, which seems unlikely.

EDIT: Or what ChaosHat said. The Reapers are looking for space-faring life, after all.

Synthesis on
    Shepard just needs to talk to them. They can't resist her charm.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • DarisDaris Registered User regular
    I'm not positive, but I think Legion went to Illos. Which means the Geth realize the reapers CAN be waited out. They are far better equipped to do so than we are as well. On the flip side, now the Reapers know this shit went down, and it cost them big time. It would be a gamble assuming they wouldn't be more thorough. It ends up being a question of which unknown is more risky. Fighting them and maybe losing to get wiped out/enslaved, or trying to hide and failing.

...building consensus.

Eh, Legion certainly does have that crush.

Maybe Legion is actually the second heretical movement: Geth who give a shit. Their mathematical equation giving them a love for the Shepard must be respected, but they cannot remain with the mainstream. So, send them out on one platform and be done with it.

The reapers will find the geth, even if they have to spread out and look by sight. Ilos was a mistake born of overconfidence, not lack of ability.

PNk1Ml4.png
    edited February 2012
    -Tal wrote:
    The reapers will find the geth, even if they have to spread out and look by sight. Ilos was a mistake born of overconfidence, not lack of ability.

Ilos was different though. They lived in buildings and ruins and there was power going to all those cells and there's all kinds of things you could actually look for.

What if the Geth just go to some big icy world somewhere and just load everyone into a server, turn it off and set out some solar panels to keep a couple geth occasionally active so they can see if the Reapers are still around? I mean, they wouldn't be scannable as an anomaly since the Geth wouldn't emit heat or be moving or do ANYTHING to the environment while they're sleeping.

If I'm the Geth, doing this instead of getting entangled in the whole war is probably a really appealing idea. You could hide literally anywhere. On a random asteroid or you could clump tons of Geth bodies together and make them look like some kind of KBO. From a distance all it's going to scan as is metal.

There is just way too much galaxy to spread out and look by sight. I'm pretty sure 50,000 years wouldn't be enough time to literally turn over every stone.

ChaosHat on
    The ultimate level of Geth existence is, after all, a single giant network somewhere that does the absolute minimal amount of interaction with the rest of the universe.

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    krogan and rachni, quarian flotilla and geth.

aside from the 'metagame ret-con' that rachni are not the zergs we thought they were. It was mentioned by an asari avatar (lack of a better word) that something soured the song of the mothers and that is why the rachni wars occured. (there's speculation that it was reaper indoctrination, but Im not going there)

Im not aware of how much time it takes the rachni to bred an army, but I'd assume you'd have a sizable chunk, given how ants and bees lay hundreds of eggs per day, so I'd say "Alot of bugs are ready for the meat grinder"

The krogan genophage isnt a sterlization retro virus, according to Dr. Solus. It merely returns their population growth levels to pre-stellar travel levels. The krogan are a scarey thing. they reproduce like rabbits yet they live for a thousand years. I dont know how they created nukes if the local fauna and clan war of Tuchanka keeped krogan birth rates in check, but they did, and that is scarey. It was even stated that krogan, the intelligent species of Tuchanka are decended from prey species (hence the gait in their eyes for 270-320 degree vision. predator/omnivore species have forward eyes for depth perception in zeroing in on food). These guys for all intents and purposes are spes orks. rock 'ard and shooty.

for the moment, what's left of the krogan are divided in clan warfare, but I'd bet if you gave wrex even a partially completed cure (solus' loyalty mission), the rest of the krogan would rally behind him and give you another wave of meat for the grinder.

Now to the geth... these guys should be just as scarey as krogan, but luckily the AI runtimes are 'naive and benign' like Legion save a few variences like the heretics. What is preventing the geth from propagating like grey goo? synthetics dont need to shoot DNA at each other or process a sizable chunk of calories/resources into creating 1 new lifeform like organics need to do. You can produce geth with Ford's assembly line and copy/paste the AI code into new blue boxes.

The quarian flotilla is the largest available fleet of ships available in the galaxy, even if they are ramshackle and 3rd hand tech. Im already rivaling stalin for warcrimes against sentient life, but lets throw more wreckage into the reaper guns and clog em up.

Looking at the reapers, they are horribly inefficient at reproducing more of their kind. Yes, sovreign wrecked everyone's shit at the citadel, but truly we do not know exactly how many ships it took to bring down sovreign. the only kill count actually verified 30 turian cruisiers and (1 asari dreadnaught -or- 8 alliance cruisers depending on ME1 actions.)

It's mentioned or heavily implied that Reaper invasion methods rely on the Citidel and Mass Relays. Organics use these relays and tend to huddle near hubs of Relays for convenience which just plays into the reapers hand. Shut down the Relays and you divide the armies of *BILLIONS* of organics into nice easy to subjecate/eradicate/harvest over the next few thousand years as the reapers make their rounds.

Keep the relays open, like shepard has been able to, and you can drown the reapers in the bodies of the dead. Like a swarm of bees attacking a human, ships using mass cannons will eventually kill a reaper with shear numbers. While indoctrination is a weapon of the reapers, it has not been stated how/when it takes effect. I'd assume longer than a few hours of combat, which will decide the fight one way or the other long before indoctrination would be useful in said fight. Given the reapers' hard-on for repurposing things, the fight for the current organics to win must be in the opening fights of the war, or the reapers will just indoctrinate the survivors and use them as front-line fodder and will eventually crush the resistance with such fighting.

Shepard sending all these organics to fight will be the most horrific crime against sentience unlike anything witnessed and recorded, but still minor to reapers' cycle of eonic galaxy killings.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    If the reapers can capture a platform or hack into the geth's network they can find out where they are going, the heretics will be a useful asset here. Even if they can't find them by the end of this harvest, they're eventually going to wake up and start working on the Dyson Sphere again. The reaper vanguard will be instructed to look for them, maybe they'll even leave a couple behind for that express purpose.

PNk1Ml4.png
    -Tal wrote:
    If the reapers can capture a platform or hack into the geth's network they can find out where they are going, the heretics will be a useful asset here. Even if they can't find them by the end of this harvest, they're eventually going to wake up and start working on the Dyson Sphere again. The reaper vanguard will be instructed to look for them, maybe they'll even leave a couple behind for that express purpose.

Yes but then it's a question of how many Geth are left, how well could they fight the reapers, etc. You have to admit those odds are probably much better than the straight up fight.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Now you guys got me wanting to watch Crest of the Stars again.

Notorious, you're basically somewhere between Zap Brannigan Big Book of War and Hitler's genocide of the Slavs.

But yes, a species consisting entirely of warships--even super-dreadnoughts, especially super-dreadnoughts--that still wants to interact with multiple different species is going to have some huge problems (and their own complex thought processes don't let them just run around bombarding planets from orbit). Hence their reliance on huge numbers of sentient agents and auxiliaries, which causes its own problems when it comes to delegating responsibility for their increasingly elaborate schemes.

And then there's the matter of reproduction. Ever read about military procurement? A Reaper is basically a trillion small parts, each built by lowest bidder (slaves).

edited February 2012
    ChaosHat wrote:
    -Tal wrote:

Yes but then it's a question of how many Geth are left, how well could they fight the reapers, etc. You have to admit those odds are probably much better than the straight up fight.

Let's remember that the reapers have a pretty huge motivation for eliminating the geth. The geth could at any time come to the next set of aliens and tell them all about the reapers and give them some cool new weapons to fight them, because they don't want to deal with this crap every 50k years. The reapers are going to give everything they have to avoid that situation. The third option for the geth here is to just join the heretics because the reapers are too powerful to fight or hide from, I think at least half of the good geth are going to choose that.

I mean it's not like we need every geth on our side anyway. Just enough to study the base and make some guns for us. Some will be traitors, some will be pussies, and some will be heroes.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    How do I know there are Reapers of different sizes? I believe Casey mentioned it on a Twitter feed.

Plus, see the one Shepard fights on Tuchunka? That is not a mile long.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    As for Cerberus springing on the base if you keep it regardless of your intentions, I agree -- TIM had ships just waiting for the opportunity, and they'd fight for it tooth and nail, but Shepard should have had the option to contact the Alliance immediately after escaping the base and have them make a play for it or at the very least explain their reluctance if they wouldn't.

I think it would be cool if Shep were immune to indoctrination via the prothean beacon exposure or something, but Overlord reminds just how easily post-rez Shep's mind can be fucked with. Also, I don't think she's spent enough time around reaper tech to be a candidate -- with the exception of Object Rho, which was two or three days under anesthesia, Shep's only been in reaper structures or near artifacts a handful of times at intervals and for like an hour each time. All the researchers we've seen succumb had been working at it for at least, like, a week. If Shep's exposures were closer together or more frequent than the bare handful (Sovereign, derelict, base, Rho, ME1 sidequest artifacts -- what else?), I'd be more willing to hazard it, but I don't think the rezzing would have given any resistance (the opposite, if theories are accurate), and the protheans obviously weren't immune and didn't seem to discover a countermeasure so I don't expect the beacon would help.
    Yeah, and they get that tech regardless if you blow up the base or not.

The damage has been done. Yes, Cerberus are tools, but keeping the base gives you options. And as many others have said, it's not like Shepard can't just blow up the base again. It has no point defenses, no mega death beams. It's dreadnought is wasted, it's crew is dead. And the only 'husks' you'll be fighting are made from Cerberus personel which is a double win.

That's part of the point -- they made contagious husks even from the scraps of the base, since there isn't a canon position on whether the base was preserved or not but either way there's a research base (named after the gate to hell, appropriate for Cerberus in so many ways) beyond the Omega-4 relay where they're working on these nightmares. If they got that from the debris, what horrible crippling trauma could they unleash on us right before the reapers come with unfettered access to Pandora's box?

But I take the point about metaknowledge and my argument isn't based on this particular case so much as it once again confirms the already well-evidenced fact that Cerberus's research department couldn't sharpen a pencil without a few mass graves.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
    I can imagine Shepard being more resistant to it since she's a cyborg. Of course she can still be hacked like Overlord, but good old fashioned indoctrination is made for organics.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Unless the tech used to resurrect Shepard is reaper-origin, at which point who knows? And if it targets the brain and Shepard's brain is (supposedly) as nearly replicated from ME1 as possible...

Speaking of which, I don't recall Kai Leng being described as quite as weird looking as he is in the presumed ME3 pic. Saren/Grayson style "upgrades?" Or just pre-reaper tech cyborg bits?

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
    edited February 2012
    Isn't Kai Leng injured in Deception? I can see him getting upgrades to compensate. Almost certainly reaper tech considering Cerberus' alliances.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote:
    (Tal's not wrong about everything--controlling the IFF themselves, Cerberus would never willingly let anyone else into the Collector Base, and would fight them to the death to get it back. Or really anything, this is Cerberus. They probably fight people to the death for the nicer booths at fast food restaurants.)

I'd fight Cerberus for the base.

By myself.

I'd enjoy the hell out of it, too. I can't wait to murder those short-sighted space-racist pricks in ME3 8->

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    Kainy wrote:
    Synthesis wrote:
    (Tal's not wrong about everything--controlling the IFF themselves, Cerberus would never willingly let anyone else into the Collector Base, and would fight them to the death to get it back. Or really anything, this is Cerberus. They probably fight people to the death for the nicer booths at fast food restaurants.)

I'd fight Cerberus for the base.

By myself.

I'd enjoy the hell out of it, too. I can't wait to murder those short-sighted space-racist pricks in ME3 8->

You already get to kill a space-racist in ME1, though.

• LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    The only regret I have for killing Ashley in ME1 is that there is no longer a chance for me to kill her in ME3.

• evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Lemming wrote:
    The only regret I have for killing Ashley in ME1 is that there is no longer a chance for me to kill her in ME3.

Pressly was waaaaay more racist than Ash (who wasn't racist anyway) and you killed him two!
    gogo you serial murderer!

edit:
    after reading bits on the previous page, if they do a yoda with kai leng i'm throwing something out of a window.
    perhaps my roommate.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    Is there still a way to buy Pinnacle Station for ME1 on PC? Can't seem to find a store page of any kind.

camo_sig2.png
  • RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    Why would you want to buy Pinnacle Station?

blondeshep.jpg
  • Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    Razia wrote:

Cause I've never played it, and would like to do a completionist ME1 run for reasons that are unclear even to me (I'm certainly not looking forward to getting those writings and crap).

camo_sig2.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I think the end decision of ME2 will come to play in how screwed we are if it comes down to dealing with a major Cerberus battle that involves tech derived from what they scavenged. If all they got were pieces, then maybe just Adjutants. If they have more though...

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Razia wrote:

Cause I've never played it, and would like to do a completionist ME1 run for reasons that are unclear even to me (I'm certainly not looking forward to getting those writings and crap).
    The final mission on that is insane, just a heads up.

sig.gif
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Razia wrote:

you can thank me in asari prostitutes.
    >> clock <<

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • AchireAchire Isn't life disappointing? Yes, it is. Registered User regular
    Is there still a way to buy Pinnacle Station for ME1 on PC? Can't seem to find a store page of any kind.

It's on Origin. Installs just fine on the Steam version of ME1, too. Unfortunately Pinnacle Station is not worth the money, and it's not really worth playing either.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote:
    Razia wrote:

The final mission on that is insane, just a heads up.

Not when you set the game to easy.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    You know all the people talking about the Thannix are ignoring the fact we don't actually know what happened to the Turians who developed it. Like, if you were looking at Shepard's mission to get the Reaper IFF it just goes "Shepard acquired the unique Reaper IFF signature for mass relays by investigating a dead Reaper discovered by Cerberus".

Glossing over "the whole team got indoctrinated, sacrificed themselves to the machine god, and those who didn't got turned into husks to join the army lying in dormancy on the supposedly 'dead' machine".

For all we know the team developing the Thannix "mysteriously" disappeared, and then the Turians zipped in and grabbed the prototype they completed after they were done.

Well. I mean...with the Thanix you had a very dead and very non-functional Reaper.

The derelict Reaper was still together for the most part and its core was undamaged.