As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] FemShep Trailer Released. USE SPOILER TAGS

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I think we all know that Ashley isn't human.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I just did. He said he doesn't care.

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:

wasn't he undead anyway

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:

wasn't he undead anyway

You're thinking of Resident Evil, Curly...which is way before Mass Effect.

...wait...wait a minute...

...What if the Umbrella corporation founded Cerberus! It all makes sense.

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote:

wasn't he undead anyway

no no i mean in the little news snippets didn't they have something about how the president of the alliance was brain-dead and VI-assisted or some cyborg thing?

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote:

wasn't he undead anyway

Isn't this the plot of Mass Effect: Deception?

jackisreal on
    edited February 2012
    I have no idea. I have a high tolerance for stuff but even I could talk myself into buying that book.

@Curly: I thought he was a clone or something...can't remember.

Dragkonias on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Basil wrote:
    http://5.asset.soup.io/asset/2548/1765_a809_500.jpeg

I guess she thinned her eyebrows? Did something to make her lower eyelids droop. Got her chin done. Had the lower lip plumped out with some larger venom sacs.

part of the reason ME3-ashley looks super creepy in that photo is the hard lighting, which makes her skin look pale and plastic-y; it's the same reason photos taken with cheap digitals or webcams tend to make people look weird. ME3ashley also has an angry/upset expression there, as opposed to the benign smile from ME2ashley, and the ME3 shot is face-up while the ME2 shot is a little more of a profile.

Those cheesy ads for weight loss programs use all the same tricks to make their models' 'after' shots more appealing than their 'before' shots.

The only thing that's really strange in the ME3 shot is ashley's eyebrows; in the ME2 shot they look fairly normal, in the ME3 shot they extend practically to the bridge of her nose and are bent at an angle normally reserved for comically-infuriated cartoon characters

her ME3 haircut is also kind of unfortunate, but nobody accused her of having great fashion sense

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    it's like that shot was taken from a private beta where the models and lighting were obviously unfinished

PNk1Ml4.png
    -Tal wrote:
    it's like that shot was taken from a private beta where the models and lighting were obviously unfinished

Excuse me, -Tal. This is the Mass Effect thread. We don't like common sense 'round these parts.

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    LMAO LOOK AT THIS SHIT WAY TO SELL OUT TO EA RIGHT

uKWaf.png

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    -Tal wrote:

True, for example, she looks a lot more like herself in this official screenshot were she is dressed in her armor.
    ME3_Ashley_Spectre_Armor.png

I still hate the hair down in her face, and whatever the hell they've done to her eyebrows, but it's better than that other picture.

Ad astra on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    what am I even looking at there

NREqxl5.jpg
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    -Tal wrote:
    ChaosHat wrote:
    -Tal wrote:
    If the reapers can capture a platform or hack into the geth's network they can find out where they are going, the heretics will be a useful asset here. Even if they can't find them by the end of this harvest, they're eventually going to wake up and start working on the Dyson Sphere again. The reaper vanguard will be instructed to look for them, maybe they'll even leave a couple behind for that express purpose.

Yes but then it's a question of how many Geth are left, how well could they fight the reapers, etc. You have to admit those odds are probably much better than the straight up fight.

Let's remember that the reapers have a pretty huge motivation for eliminating the geth. The geth could at any time come to the next set of aliens and tell them all about the reapers and give them some cool new weapons to fight them, because they don't want to deal with this crap every 50k years. The reapers are going to give everything they have to avoid that situation. The third option for the geth here is to just join the heretics because the reapers are too powerful to fight or hide from, I think at least half of the good geth are going to choose that.

I mean it's not like we need every geth on our side anyway. Just enough to study the base and make some guns for us. Some will be traitors, some will be pussies, and some will be heroes.

The rate at which the Geth could reproduce and build ships is probably a pretty big threat.

If the geth clustered themselves up into a hundred different colony ships, warped off in different directions (not using mass relays) deleting any mention of where they were going, so no group knows where any other group is going, grabbed the first resource rich rock they found and build an armada with instructions to return in 200 years?

The reapers would still be floating about harvesting worlds, and in for one hell of a problem. I'd think the Reapers would make the Geth priority #2 after defeating the alliance and council navies

override367 on
  • DarisDaris Registered User regular
    The funny thing is it's the same face, just from a similar angle this time.

• MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    Choo Choo! All aboard the achievement spoiler train!

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/mass-effect-3/achievements/
    They're all vague enough that they don't outright spoil any specific plot points. Nice to see that some can be earned through either multiplayer or single player. I like the second to last one, confirms that after you level up your multiplayer characters you import them back to single player to increase your Galactic Readiness score. I think that's a really innovative and cool feature.

achievement:
    Untouchable:
    Escape a Reaper in the galaxy map.

SPACE MINIGAME SPACE MINIGAME

NREqxl5.jpg
    edited February 2012
    Oohh...so tech combos are called Tech bursts.

Oh man...so awesome.

It'd be cool if there was something like AI Hacking + Overload = ME's version of Walking Bomb.

Dragkonias on
    Also for people who didn't want to play multiplayer, but still wanted all the cheevos, it looks like there are achievements that can be achieved through MP or SP.

So, there you go.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Everybody wins. I love it.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    So, haven't been following ME3 in any way shape or form, and the OP doesn't seem to have overmuch information.

Is EA doing anything terrible like making the PC version Origin-exclusive?

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    speaking of terrible things i went and bought 1600 mass points, i bought shadow broker leaving me 800.... any recommendations on arrival, overlord, kasumi as most bang for the buck, or should i go with skins and weapon packs?

yes im late to the party but i thought for sure there would be some goty edition or some such and i loathe point systems

I like Kasumi the most out of those, because it's a fun mission and she's a great companion to have. Plus Locust.

I wouldn't bother with skin and weapon packs until all the story DLC is in your hot little hands.

edited February 2012
    kasumi's mission is fun; not as good as shadow broker, but it's good. She's also a pretty entertaining squad member (and her loyalty power is fun to play around with on shepard.)

ed: also yeah the locust is ridiculous

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Basil wrote:
    http://5.asset.soup.io/asset/2548/1765_a809_500.jpeg

I guess she thinned her eyebrows? Did something to make her lower eyelids droop. Got her chin done. Had the lower lip plumped out with some larger venom sacs.

its the make up. (its probably the angles and the new lighting but still)

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I don't think Arrival is any shorter than Kasumi's mission, although that obviously nets you an awesome squadmate and pistol. 800 points is like, $10, right? I'd grab Kasumi and then the Firepower pack, assuming you're doing more than one run before ME3 comes. Overlord and Arrival have cool moments but I don't replay the former and only do the latter for the opportunity to reduce the batarian population and revel in Shepard's badassery. I think you could watch both on YT without much loss.

Also I'm not sure on what the final word is, but I was under the impression your weapons imported into ME3, so getting the weapons DLC also means starting with those earlier in ME3 -- if weapons import.
    NEO|Phyte wrote:
    Is EA doing anything terrible like making the PC version Origin-exclusive?

Yes. As in, it requires an Origin account to authenticate online once for single player and obviously persistent for multiplayer. You might not need Origin running to play it, but you can't get it on Steam or anything.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    While we're still in hilarious people bitching mode, i post on another forum where me3 is pretty much the creepy old guy who raped them when they were younger. The amount of hatred and bile over it all results in some pretty hilarious posts.
    Note the only info they have on the game is 1: its running on origin only (surprise surprise its a pc elitist joint)
    2: the jersey shore photo of chobot and vega
    3: the ashley comparison picture above
    4: the info about the 3 gameplay modes
    5: ea's facebook marketing campaign for items.
    5: their unreasonable dislike of me2 because it wasn't me1.

it results in classic "reviews" such as this that i thought i would share with you classy gents.
    What theyre doing to the franchise !?!?

My GOD ! This one do not like.

*Regrettably* this one is very sad to the recent changes in the franchise.

Seriously, ME1 was a trully RPG, it was technically problematic. But its core and fundamentals were great.

Then came ME2, Gears of Effect 2. You didnt need to know about the world´s or political´s problems, JUST GATHER MOARRRR PEOPLE. Also, the weapon system was revolutionized , suddenly all weapons had clips AGAIN. The weapons ammo was dumbed down and simplified (dont make me even remember about omnigel). The history was flawed, the main mission was ok, but the means to do it was very very immature.

and now we have ME3, My Effect 3. With all the latest all coolest ppl in the galaxy (95% humans or human alike). Seriosuly, this is becoming ANOTHER Sim like game.

YEs im mad, my score for the games so far :

- ME1 - 92%
    - ME2 - 90% (it could be 100%, but noooooo)
    - ME3 - 89% (its just like the matrix)

8-> 

I don't know who i love more, these guys or the talimancers.

Deaderinred on
    Someone misses omnigel?

The 3% scale is hilarious though.

s7Imn5J.png
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    11% off perfect really doesn't seem like grounds for that much capslock.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    89%. WORST...GAME...EVER.

• farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    Orca wrote:
    89%. WORST...GAME...EVER.

how? what? when? time-machine?

does he have a score for me4 yet?

edited February 2012
    farbekrieg wrote:
    does he have a score for me4 yet?

88.5%. Removing all non-human species from the canon and bringing Shepard back as a retconned professional football player caught up in a terrorist attack is a new low.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
    edited February 2012
    If the trend holds true . . . 88.5%

You heard it here first, people.

-From SoundsPlush. Who is worse than Hitler. Possibly a double Hitler. This one is undecided.

Hanoi.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    Whoever that is, needs to learn how to use the English language in a better capacity, before they are qualified to criticize anything.

Thing I love about it is that he spends the majority of his "review" bitching about the game and still gives it like a 9 out of 10.

Heck, he could be a professional game reviewer one day.

Basil wrote:
    -From SoundsPlush. Who is worse than Hitler. Possibly a double Hitler. This one is undecided.

Hanoi.

At the very least a 94% on the 85-95 Hitler scale.

s7Imn5J.png
  • MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    One thing I'll never understand is why some people are borderline obsessive about playing as aliens. The Mass Effect series gets heat for "hurr durr, humanz are teh special and unique" storyline - but that's pretty standard for sci-fi opera. I guess it would be neat to play a sci-fi game where humans were literally nothing special, but it's hard to make the human protagonist the savior of the galaxy when humanity is the underclass. Maybe that's where some of the disappointment comes from, as some players seem to be much more interested in playing something low key - like being some C-Sec beat cop rather than the center point of a millennial old galactic conflict. Different strokes I suppose, but ultimately that's not Shepard's story.

The thing is, though, that in order for the player to relate in any way to the characters at all, they have to be anthropomorphized. Something that is truly alien would be unknowable, and hence, unrelatable. So, when your alien races break down to "militaristic race that prioritizes structure," "savage warrior race," or "sexy blue race of females" - what's the difference between making them aliens as opposed to some splinter tribe of humanity? Is it just that they look cool?

Why should I give a shit if I get a drell in my party if he's just a human with a skin condition and is allergic to moisture? It should be about the characters themselves - maybe being part of some alien race is part of their identity, but I'll take a crew of 5 interesting and varied humans over 5 unique looking aliens that all serve as 2 dimensional caricatures of what their races are supposed to represent.

• OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    ME4 scores 93% Hitlers, on the back of the elcor beach volleyball minigame.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    MetalMagus wrote:
    One thing I'll never understand is why some people are borderline obsessive about playing as aliens. The Mass Effect series gets heat for "hurr durr, humanz are teh special and unique" storyline - but that's pretty standard for sci-fi opera. I guess it would be neat to play a sci-fi game where humans were literally nothing special, but it's hard to make the human protagonist the savior of the galaxy when humanity is the underclass. Maybe that's where some of the disappointment comes from, as some players seem to be much more interested in playing something low key - like being some C-Sec beat cop rather than the center point of a millennial old galactic conflict. Different strokes I suppose, but ultimately that's not Shepard's story.

The thing is, though, that in order for the player to relate in any way to the characters at all, they have to be anthropomorphized. Something that is truly alien would be unknowable, and hence, unrelatable. So, when your alien races break down to "militaristic race that prioritizes structure," "savage warrior race," or "sexy blue race of females" - what's the difference between making them aliens as opposed to some splinter tribe of humanity? Is it just that they look cool?

Why should I give a shit if I get a drell in my party if he's just a human with a skin condition and is allergic to moisture? It should be about the characters themselves - maybe being part of some alien race is part of their identity, but I'll take a crew of 5 interesting and varied humans over 5 unique looking aliens that all serve as 2 dimensional caricatures of what their races are supposed to represent.

You're overthinking it.

People want to play as aliens because it would be cool.

edited February 2012
    And because they're species traitors.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg