As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The brand [GNU/Linux / Alternate OS] thread: Steam finally confirmed

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    There is an easy way to install Steam after all: just install & use the Ubuntu software center.

The real challenge I tackled was getting java working... mind you I was successful, it just took a while.

Also I retract my previous statement about Kmail: it seems I prefer Thunderbird.

• templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    I just started using Gnome3 (instead of Unity), and I like it generally. However, the launchers that come up on the meta-key search screen are completely impenetrable to me.

I.e., I have no idea where it's getting them. For example, I have Rubymine installed, and I created a launcher in /usr/share/applications. That works as expected. However, there's a second launcher from somewhere, and I have no clue how to find out where it is or how to remove it from search results.

Any ideas?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    I believe you can have both system launchers and user launchers. The second launcher might be inside your home directory somewhere.

Frem wrote: »
    I believe you can have both system launchers and user launchers. The second launcher might be inside your home directory somewhere.
    Ahaha, it turns out that running Rubymine 7 for the first time somehow created a launcher for me. It was just under jetbrains-rubymine.desktop instead of my own rubymine.desktop. I found it by grepping for the launcher script (bin/rubymine.sh).

Long story short, grep really is the answer for everything.

Greg is great. I'm also a fan of ag (the silver searcher) and ffind (friendly-find), just because remembering grep, find, and ack arguments is a pain (and because differences between gnu and bsd commands are awful).

Greg is great. I'm also a fan of ag (the silver searcher) and ffind (friendly-find), just because remembering grep, find, and ack arguments is a pain (and because differences between gnu and bsd commands are awful).

I was going to link to some image of Good Guy Greg, but that ffind actually sounds super useful. Thanks for the tip!

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Just updated my home server to systemd. That was about the most painless upgrade I've ever done. God damn do I like writing unit files over init scripts.

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Ubuntu MATE is my new jam.

• CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    Just got settled into ubuntu. I tried linux a few times in previous years, including previous shots at ubuntu. This is the first time that it seriously looks like i'll be sticking with it. TF2 runs like crap, but I use my computer more for learning python now than I do gaming. Overall things are way more user friendly than they were 3 years ago.

• Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    edited April 2015
    I am adoring Kubuntu right now, now that I ditched Kmail for Thunderbird. Sure I can't do anything more intensive than point-and-click games but it's fun to use and really just neat. I noticed Kubunutu often -but not always- remembers which applications I had open when I last turned off the computer, and brings them back up during the next successful boot. But I, for the life of me, can't figure out why it only seems to do it sometimes... any insight, folks?

Also, is there a convenient chart showing the hard drive footprint of various distros out there somewhere?

Curly_Brace on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    That's odd. When I was last running Linux on my gaming box, I would consistently get about 10fps more than in Windows on the same hardware.

You might want to check that you're running the right (accelerated) driver for your video card.

Yeah, I forgot to update the drivers from the default ones ubuntu has.

but now when I launch steam I get "OpenGL GLX context is not using direct rendering, which may cause performance problems.

For more information visit https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9938-EYZB-7457."

and tf2 runs just as bad

Aparrently the libs that steam uses are outdated or something? Im still fairly ignorant of the gritty details of how linux functions. I just barely have a passing understanding of packages.

The common fix seems to be a string of 6 command lines to remove some lib files from the steam folder, but that didn't work. Neither did the other 100 things I spend the last 2 hours attempting.

I added my user to the video group, im using Ubuntu 14.04 64bit,
    Intel Core i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz x 4,
    Geforce GTS 450/PCIe/SSE2

any suggestions gentlemen?

• yotesyotes Registered User regular
    Last week Windows 7 decided to just misplace its own partition so I took that as an opportunity to just ditch Windows altogether and get on board that Mint bandwagon. Gaming performance isn't as good as on Windows for me either, but I can run TF2 and XCOM at 1920x1080 with the details at medium, so I'm happy enough. I seem to only have 32-bit GL libraries, but Steam isn't even complaining about that, glxinfo says direct rendering is on.

Core i3-2100T
    GTX750 SC

On a related note: What's the best way to restore backups generated by the Windows backup tool in Linux?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Where are you guys getting your video drivers from?

august wrote: »
    Where are you guys getting your video drivers from?

Straight out of the Ubuntu repos. Maybe I should install more current ones than the 331 version, but it's usually 50-50 that a driver upgrade breaks, like, everything.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    same.

Installed the 346 drivers from the Xorg-edgers PPA, which by some miracle didn't break everything, TF2 runs well now, but turning on MSAA still kinda kills my framerate.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    New Archlinux VM: http://digitalarcanum.net/stuff/archvm_2015-05-08.png

i3-gaps-next-git
    urxvt
    ncmpcpp + mpd
    irssi

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    That is very pretty. How can I make my desktop look as pretty?

• Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Ok, so bash command line expansion question

I have a lot of files that I need to zip up, there are sets in a bunch of different directories that correspond to different parts of the logging environment.

When I try
    for d in $(ls -d */ | sed 's/\/$//' *);
    do zip -mrT $d $d;
    done

zip complains about the expanded directory names if they have spaces. I've tried putting the $d's in double quotes, double quotes around single quotes and whatever else I can think of. I am pretty sure I have forgotten a basic rule here. How can I make this work?

Apothe0sis on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    "$d" seems like it'd be right to me

are you sure there isn't a problem with the splitting coming out of the for loop though? that always trips me up and often the point where I start reaching for using something else to do it anyway

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    Apothe0sis wrote: »
    That is very pretty. How can I make my desktop look as pretty?

Spend all your time tweaking your desktop instead of doing anything productive.

End wrote: »
    "$d" seems like it'd be right to me

are you sure there isn't a problem with the splitting coming out of the for loop though? that always trips me up and often the point where I start reaching for using something else to do it anyway
    Unfortunately not.

Here is me jamming as many "'s in as possible. If I remember correctly there's something odd about zip files.
    nihil@nihil:~/test$ for d in $(ls -d */ | sed 's/\/$//' | sed 's/\(.*\)/\"\1\"/') ; do zip -mTr "$d.zip" "$d" ; done
            zip warning: name not matched: "Directory

zip error: Nothing to do! (try: zip -mTr "Directory.zip . -i "Directory)
            zip warning: name not matched: 1"

zip error: Nothing to do! (try: zip -mTr 1".zip . -i 1")
            zip warning: name not matched: "Directory

zip error: Nothing to do! (try: zip -mTr "Directory.zip . -i "Directory)
            zip warning: name not matched: 2"

zip error: Nothing to do! (try: zip -mTr 2".zip . -i 2")

Blah, I just python'd it.

Which is a pity because a 1 liner seems much more elegant

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Matching with sed is pretty much the least elegant-looking thing ever. Readability ftw.

Matching with sed is pretty much the least elegant-looking thing ever. Readability ftw.

tbf one of those seds is extraneous because i was tyring to add in more quotes to the original list

and on the other hand if you don't speak basic regex fluently then what do you even

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Houn wrote: »

What do you think of Arch after using it for a bit?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)

I've been an Arch "fan" for years. I enjoy being on the edge of a rolling release with new software constantly, and the AUR is great for anything else you might need.

I HAVE been burned in the past by some of the big updates (like the switch to systemd) completely breaking my system.

Basically, it's great for a daily use PC if you don't mind getting your hands dirty once in a while, but I'd never put it on a mission critical server or the like.

What's the window system you're using?

I have never moved beyond kdm/unity/gnome because I am a lazy shit

Apothe0sis wrote: »
    What's the window system you're using?

I have never moved beyond kdm/unity/gnome because I am a lazy shit

It's i3, patched to put gaps between the windows. i3-next-gaps-git in the AUR, iirc.

Also, what is the music player?

I use mpd (music player daemon), that front-end is ncmpcpp (ncurses music player client plus plus). Mpd is cool because it's a daemon, you can control it with multiple clients. You can also automatically have it output to an http stream, so you can play cool tricks like connecting to the stream to listen to your music wherever, and sshing in to change the playlist quickly.

• UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular

I've been an Arch "fan" for years. I enjoy being on the edge of a rolling release with new software constantly, and the AUR is great for anything else you might need.

I HAVE been burned in the past by some of the big updates (like the switch to systemd) completely breaking my system.

Basically, it's great for a daily use PC if you don't mind getting your hands dirty once in a while, but I'd never put it on a mission critical server or the like.

How much time do you put into maintenance? I used to run Gentoo but I think those days are over for me as I don't have a lot of time to put into fiddling, so now a days I just use Ubuntu, which I like but I get the itch to try out something new once and awhile.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)

How much time do you put into maintenance? I used to run Gentoo but I think those days are over for me as I don't have a lot of time to put into fiddling, so now a days I just use Ubuntu, which I like but I get the itch to try out something new once and awhile.

I spend an unhealthy amount of time tweaking my desktop, but for actual maintenance, I just run "pacman -Syu" once a week or so. Not really any more onerous than any other distro's update process. The thing to remember about Arch is that they don't save the big changes for a new release: there is no new release, you're always rolling up to the current stable state. It pays to read the news before updating just to make sure you're not about to update yourself into a corner.

For example, when they moved from init scripts to systemd. Most recently, the update to ncurses6 caused some issues for various packages in the AUR until their maintainers updated them. Rather than update right away, I just waited a week for the stuff I use from AUR to get updated before I upgraded.

edited October 2015
    Are Android phones easily manageable with Linux? I have this iPhone 5 my boss gave me but someday I'd like to get out of the Apple ecosystem. Mostly because iTunes sucks in general and I have to keep a crappy Windows laptop to run it on.

august on
    august wrote: »
    Are Android phones easily manageable with Linux? I have this iPhone 5 my boss gave me but someday I'd like to get out of the Apple ecosystem. Mostly because iTunes sucks in general and I have to keep a crappy Windows laptop to run it on.

Define "Manageable". I don't "manage" my phone with my computer, so I'm not sure what you mean.

Yes. If you plug the phone in and set the correct USB mode, it'll just show up as removable media and you can copy files on and off it.

Fwiw, I just used Dropbox and Google Play Music to get photos off and music on my tablet. ES File Manager also has samba compatibiltiy, so that's another way to transfer files back and forth.

If you have the Android dev tools installed, you can even telnet into your phone.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Yes. If you plug the phone in and set the correct USB mode, it'll just show up as removable media and you can copy files on and off it.

Fwiw, I just used Dropbox and Google Play Music to get photos off and music on my tablet. ES File Manager also has samba compatibiltiy, so that's another way to transfer files back and forth.

If you have the Android dev tools installed, you can even telnet into your phone.

+1 for Dropbox and ES File Manager. I've not plugged my phone into my PC for a long long time thanks to Dropbox.

Twitch: Thawmus83
    edited October 2015
    Relatedly, I had some point I in the past convinced myself that newer idevices were unmanageable in Linux, but libmobiledevice seems to promise otherwise. Does anyone have any experience with it? I don't have time to fiddle with it right now and it seems like it was removed from the Ubuntu repositories at some point so it will have to be built from source.

august on