The brand [GNU/Linux / Alternate OS] thread: Steam finally confirmed

1252627282931»

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited April 14
    No lie, it's a really nice piece of hardware. I'm now sorely tempted to buy my own Surface and put Linux on it if that's possible. And when they inevitably take it back, I just might.

Although I think I'd want something with more than 256Gb drive space. I wonder if there's going to be a Zen2 core edition?

EDIT: Apparently it's a right pain in the arse to put Linux on them. Oh well, just an idle thought.

V1m on
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Seidkona wrote: »
    Also the mystical all Linux all the time jobs do exist.

I haven't touched windows in 3 jobs.

In theory I can do my entire job in Linux, but they issue Windows laptops for email anyway. They only support Oracle Linux 7 for internal use on our workstations, which is annoying because the RHEL/CentOS/OL family suuuuuuuuuucks as a Desktop.

Left to my own devices, I'd probably load up Solus or Xubuntu 20.04.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Seidkona wrote: »
    Also the mystical all Linux all the time jobs do exist.

I haven't touched windows in 3 jobs.

In theory I can do my entire job in Linux, but they issue Windows laptops for email anyway. They only support Oracle Linux 7 for internal use on our workstations, which is annoying because the RHEL/CentOS/OL family suuuuuuuuuucks as a Desktop.

Left to my own devices, I'd probably load up Solus or Xubuntu 20.04.

I am running Manjaro XFCE with I3 replacing the standard WM on my work box. It is really good.

They also give me full control of my work machine which is increasingly rare it seems.

Last job did make me use a Mac. It was a horrible experience but I didn't run much locally on it. I sit almost all of my work on a bastion I set up for myself.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    Zilla360
    Also @august

Check out the Linux foundations certs. Whole the Linux cert is not quite as good as the Redhat one they do have some other tracks that have some good certs.

Like Kubernettes admin.

Zilla360
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Surreal. Immersive. Earth.Registered User regular
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited April 19
    WSL 1 is generally snappier than VirtualBox, but has some pretty big compatibility gaps. In particular, I wasn’t able to get Flatpak working on it (a year ago), and it definitely doesn’t support Docker at all. File system access is also pretty slow for lots of small files; npm install is glacial. But it is pretty cool to be able to run GTK applications seamlessly next to native Windows apps.

WSL 2 is an optimized VM using HyperV. I’d expect it to feel more snappy than VirtualBox, and it’ll have much better compatibility and file system access performance than WSL1, but I’m not counting on it being significantly better than VirtualBox in raw CPU benchmarks.

(Also, X410 is a great bit of software, so much nicer than the free alternatives on Windows.)

Frem on
    Zilla360
    edited May 2
    Is this process current & correct? I've done 4 release upgrades without any serious issues so far, but I feel like I'm pushing my luck a bit, so I want some insurance.

EDIT:
    It doesn't make explicit is whether there is any issue with having the Home partition on a logical partition on the same physical drive. Is it OK to make a new logical partition in the empty space in the current boot drive and use that? On windows it would be fine, but I don't want to trust to that assumption.

If possible I would like to keep Home on the 500Gb EVO 970 boot drive (which currently has ~250Gb free and will have ~430Gb free when the 2Tb SATA SSD I ordered for holding media arrives.) because it's by far the fasted drive in my PC.

Lastly, because I don't want to be constantly fiddling about with gparted, what's a sensible size for a Home directory? would 50Gb be ludicrously oversized or optimistically tiny?

V1m on
  • ThawmusThawmus Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Is this process current & correct? I've done 4 release upgrades without any serious issues so far, but I feel like I'm pushing my luck a bit, so I want some insurance.

EDIT:
    It doesn't make explicit is whether there is any issue with having the Home partition on a logical partition on the same physical drive. Is it OK to make a new logical partition in the empty space in the current boot drive and use that? On windows it would be fine, but I don't want to trust to that assumption.

If possible I would like to keep Home on the 500Gb EVO 970 boot drive (which currently has ~250Gb free and will have ~430Gb free when the 2Tb SATA SSD I ordered for holding media arrives.) because it's by far the fasted drive in my PC.

Lastly, because I don't want to be constantly fiddling about with gparted, what's a sensible size for a Home directory? would 50Gb be ludicrously oversized or optimistically tiny?

It kinda depends on what you do with your PC, honestly.

My current gaming rig has / mounted to a 250 GB SSD, and my /home mounted to a 1.5 TB drive. This was mostly because I wanted to be able to have a lot of games installed simultaneously, and also I store my music and photos there, and then I just back up /home on another drive weekly.

It was beneficial at times as I kept trying out different distros, as I'd be able to install a new distro, and not lose anything or have to move anything.

However.

There are a lot of things I will do differently on my next machine (hopefully to be built in late Fall). Steam likes to run its library out of your /home by default, but you can set up steam libraries anywhere (and have multiple libraries, at that), and on my SSD is where I should have done it (I've been migrating them slowly as I play them). I thought it was nice to not have to re-install them when I was installing a new OS, but that didn't always pan out anyways, each distro seemed to handle the steam installation differently, which I thought was frustrating and nonsensical. And ultimately I just ended up using Ubuntu and stopped playing OS roulette. I liked Budgie quite a bit but I need full access to wine and installing stupid amounts of packages and their approach cut me off at the knees.

I also set up a separate box to be my Plex server, and I don't really need music/video storage on my machine anymore as a result.

So ultimately, when I set up my next box, I'll probably just get the biggest SSD I can and call it good. If I'm thinking about playing OS roulette some more I'll grab a 128 GB SSD and use that for /

steam_sig.png
    Zilla360
    edited May 4
    I have a 1Tb NVME set up as a Steam drive - it's not quite as fancy as it sounds because this x470 motherboard doesn't have enough PCIE lanes for a full strength second NVME M2 slot, so it's effectively half speed. That did take a bit of fiddling about (see V1mposts passim) but it's perfect now. However the actual Steam client isn't on it, just the game files. Steam itself is easy to install, and if I have to redownload half a Tb of games, well, I'm on an unlimited plan on Fibre; so be it.

Anyway, a bit of investigation leads me to believe that a 100Gb / partition and a ~400Gb Home would be more sensible. Linux itself is very small compared to Windows. 100Gb is likely to be big enough for the effective lifespan of the drive.

V1m on
    Zilla360
    Update: Apparently shrinking the root partition is Bad Times, so I'm not doing it until such time as I do a complete OS reinstall

edited May 11
    The new Gnome3 tiling plug in that system 76 developed for Pop_OS is really good.

Seidkona on
    Thawmus
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Just sitting here thinking about how my desire to set up any of my family or friends with a Linux desktop went directly in the shitter the minute I found out neither Firefox or Chrom/ium allow hardware accelerated video, and probably never will.

I know the situation is no one person's responsibility, but how the fuck am I supposed to feel good setting my Mom up with Ubuntu when she's going to be nuking her battery into oblivion by watching Netflix.

Obviously the answer is get a Chromebook which we've already done, but man.

Pac Man's character is difficult to explain even to the Japanese -- he is an innocent character. He hasn't been educated to discern between good and evil. He acts more like a small child than a grown-up person. Think of him as a child learning in the course of his daily activities. If someone tells him guns are evil, he would be the type to rush out and eat guns. But he would most probably eat any gun, even the pistols of policemen who need them.
    august wrote: »
    Just sitting here thinking about how my desire to set up any of my family or friends with a Linux desktop went directly in the shitter the minute I found out neither Firefox or Chrom/ium allow hardware accelerated video, and probably never will.

I know the situation is no one person's responsibility, but how the fuck am I supposed to feel good setting my Mom up with Ubuntu when she's going to be nuking her battery into oblivion by watching Netflix.

Another answer is to use Pop!_OS and Chromium. They have VAAPI hardware decoding enabled by default.

Upon learning this today, I'm probably going to make that the next distro I try.

steam_sig.png
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    august wrote: »

Another answer is to use Pop!_OS and Chromium. They have VAAPI hardware decoding enabled by default.

Upon learning this today, I'm probably going to make that the next distro I try.

That's kinda cool. Although I gave up on chromium-vaapi when it just broke on nvidia drivers for at least a few months with no sign of it being fixed. Looks like it works now I guess.

Pac Man's character is difficult to explain even to the Japanese -- he is an innocent character. He hasn't been educated to discern between good and evil. He acts more like a small child than a grown-up person. Think of him as a child learning in the course of his daily activities. If someone tells him guns are evil, he would be the type to rush out and eat guns. But he would most probably eat any gun, even the pistols of policemen who need them.
    Pop_OS 20.04 is actually really good.

V1mThawmusZilla360
    edited July 9
    Seeing some pretty encouraging comments from the WINE team:. They've gotten EAC working for a number of games, including Rust, Apex Legends and Halo MCC

https://mobile.twitter.com/0xdt0/status/1281265922154672129

V1m on
    FremThawmus
    This could be kind of a big deal btw; if someone could jingle a bunch of keys in front of Tim Sweeney and distract him from his reflexive urge to shit on Linux gaming, then that would be great...

So I've been using Pop!OS 20.04 for a few months now, pretty much ever since I started WFH.

I'm in love with window tiling. I enabled it right away, was absolutely furious trying to adjust to it for like 3 weeks, and now I'm just in heaven. Couple keystrokes and I have a twitch stream, two terminals, a doc, and PA all on my screen simultaneously, and it's incredibly easy and fast to switch and adjust, I like it a lot.

steam_sig.png
    SeidkonaV1m
    I love the Pop!OS style of tiling. at the end of the day I still feel like i3+xfce gets me more of what I want but the gnome3 plugin that System76 made is really good.

Thawmus