As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The brand [GNU/Linux / Alternate OS] thread: Steam finally confirmed

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Again, I am not using ATI.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Again, I am not using ATI.

Intel or Nvidia?

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    nvidia

• Options
    SeeksSeeks Registered User regular
    Alright, so install the proprietary Nvidia driver.

I've had nothing but good results with their proprietary installers, personally.

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I thought I did while I was able to start in recovery mode, but now that I am stuck with command line how do verify that?

Edit: Should I just plop the disk back in and try to install over again?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    I thought I did while I was able to start in recovery mode, but now that I am stuck with command line how do verify that?

Edit: Should I just plop the disk back in and try to install over again?

For Nvidia cards I've had good results using the Ubuntu X-Swat archives.

Get into some type of terminal and do:
    $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    $ sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

That should install some up-to-date Nvidia drivers for your system (I use them on 3 PCs around my house for XBMC).

After that you should be able to reboot and get X started. If that doesn't work, then get back into a terminal and run
    $ sudo nvidia-xconfig

Which is Nvidia's utility to install xorg.conf

I know it sucks that Linux Mint does this too you right after you decide to install it, but it really is a good distro - Linux has just gotten screwed around on graphics drivers for years (though in Mint's case I suspect the installer is not particularly conservative in choice of driver, which is entirely the wrong thing to be).

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    Maybe he's got a corrupt .iso?

• Options
    the xconfig thing fixed it, thanks.

• Options
    august wrote: »
    Maybe he's got a corrupt .iso?

No Linux Mint 13 for some reason seems to have atrocious default X configuration when you actually install it. It's terrible, since you can boot up the Live CD and be very impressed, then when you install that happens. I don't know how they've managed it, since I would've thought just dropping the exact LiveCD system onto the hard disk would be what should be done.

• Options
    Yeah, I've been having a bit of trouble with some of the 'big distros' ever since about early 2011. Newer laptop has integrated intel video, and I think it chokes on these 'newer' kernels.

I have developed a sudden fondness for FreeBSD and older, stabler distros like Debian, at least for that machine.

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    Seeks wrote: »
    Yeah, I've been having a bit of trouble with some of the 'big distros' ever since about early 2011. Newer laptop has integrated intel video, and I think it chokes on these 'newer' kernels.

I have developed a sudden fondness for FreeBSD and older, stabler distros like Debian, at least for that machine.

Integrated video now has all this multiplexing business installed, for which precisely zero Linux support is intended.

• Options
    sigh

I hate having to act like a responsible consumer. Guess I'll have to start.

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    So does anyone know how virt-manager handles HVM virtualization? My assumption is that it must be working because I've booted Windows with Xen successfully, but I can't seem to verify this fact.

I'm trying to get PCI passthrough/VGA passthrough going for a slick Win 7 with 3D acceleration experience. I figure even with virtualization overhead I won't notice it.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    well

you're either using HVM, or a modified pv windows you probably don't have access to

I'd say it's HVM.

So far as I know, for HVM Xen uses the QEMU device emulation alongside the virtualization CPU instruction sets. Looking around, it even can support VT-d if you have a processor and recentish Xen, and this is what you want for PCI passthrough.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Krummith wrote: »
    I've been running Ubuntu 12.4 for the past couple of weeks, and I find it a vast improvement over my old Win 7 setup. I'm thinking of staying with a linux distro, but my only problem is gaming. I've been trying to use Wine and Playonlinux, but I can't seem to get either to work well. Is there any site that you could recommend that would have newbie friendly step by step for setting up different games?

The WineHQ AppDB is more or less the definitive source for info on individual games.

You may also want to use the main Wine PPA, which gets the latest and greatest releases significantly more frequently than the normal wine package. New versions occasionally make some games suddenly work, and every now and than a regression with break something.

Running VirtualBox with 3D acceleration might also be an option for some games, although Wine and VirtualBox share a lot of the DirectX to OpenGL translation code iirc, so what breaks in one won't necessarily work in the other.

Frem on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Alright, for people having integrated intel video problems (blank screen at boot), I made a post over at the Arch forums about it. I ended up writing a script that checks to see if the screen is the proper brightness, and if it's not, fixing it. The tarball includes directions on daemonizing said script so that it's always running, if you're on Arch.

Edit: S'pose I should link it the post. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=146206

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i installed ubuntu. it's my first time toying with linux. i'm using virtualbox on my mba, and everything went pretty smoothly.

however, even though i'm getting messages saying everything's good, mouse something detection, we're all fine, no error diagnostics... mouse control is slow and jittery. i didn't know if maybe it was something to do with trackpad drivers so i plugged in a usb mouse. it's just kind of jittery and the mouse sort of blinks erratically as i move it.

virtualbox (or ubuntu, whichever) suggested that i allocate 512mb of RAM. i ended up giving it like 650 to be safe. is that the cause? it seems like a small quantity of RAM for an OS. i have 8gb and could probably spare 2-2.5 without much of a problem. would that help?

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Allocating more would probably help, but it's most likely that it is an issue with video memory, bump that up for the guest machine under its settings and it should behave nicer.

I'd say 2GB with 128meg of VRAM would be the target.

• Options
    hmmm. ok.

and not to belabor what is probably the obvious, but: i'd get best performance by making a partition and installing it directly without a VM, right? or would that make finding drivers and shit tedious?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    No more tedious than a VM, really. You might try sticking it on a CD/Thumbdrive and booting that directly to test performance first, however. The performance you get from that (other than ridiculously slow read times from the CD) will probably be more indicative of what you can expect from an on-disk install.

Seeks on
    userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    man this stuff is tricky. hmmmmmmmm.

i basically installed this so i could get more comfortable with a unix-y terminal and command line work (and i know in os x i will get lazy and use finder, whereas i don't really know ubuntu hotkeys and shit to circumvent the learning process)

so much to learn

Organichu on
  • Options
    Have you tried installing the 'guest additions' thing in the VM? I'm not terribly well-versed in Virtualbox stuff, but that might help you out a little bit with video driver... things. Helped me with Windows XP in a VM.

userbar.jpg
    desura_Userbar.png
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I've got an Eee PC 1000HA that's held up pretty well build-wise, but XP's obviously not an option anymore and it's slow as hell on Win7/Win8.

I used to run EasyPeasy a few years ago, but it was pretty flaky at the time and I ended up ditching it.

Any thoughts on a good modern Linux distro that's netbook-friendly? Quick googling shows that Ubuntu 12.04 might actually be the best choice. I'm really out of the loop on any non-RH distros.

• Options
    mr_mich wrote: »
    I've got an Eee PC 1000HA that's held up pretty well build-wise, but XP's obviously not an option anymore and it's slow as hell on Win7/Win8.

I used to run EasyPeasy a few years ago, but it was pretty flaky at the time and I ended up ditching it.

Any thoughts on a good modern Linux distro that's netbook-friendly? Quick googling shows that Ubuntu 12.04 might actually be the best choice. I'm really out of the loop on any non-RH distros.

Lubuntu if you want something light.

• Options
    New version of #! is out.

It's pretty fly!

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    august wrote: »

Lubuntu if you want something light.

Or Xubuntu. I have it on my nearly 2 year old netbook and it's great. I initially put Ubuntu on it but performance was seriously lacking. Stick with one of the lighter distros.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Good to know; I just picked up Lubuntu and I'll flash this puppy now. We'll see where we land.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Seeks wrote: »
    Have you tried installing the 'guest additions' thing in the VM? I'm not terribly well-versed in Virtualbox stuff, but that might help you out a little bit with video driver... things. Helped me with Windows XP in a VM.
    Obvious solution is obvious.

I am stupid for not suggesting this first, it's pretty much required to make any guest usable via the vm suite's native console. I've set up 10 VMs in VB in the past month, it's second nature. How could I overlook this?

I tip my hat to you Seeks.

'chu do what Seeks said.

• Options
    Good to know; I just picked up Lubuntu and I'll flash this puppy now. We'll see where we land.
    S'awesome.

• Options
    So I guess I kind of get the idea behind Wayland - exploit the fact that the Linux kernel can do like 90% of the stuff X currently does...but I don't get why abandoning network transparency makes a lick of sense in the current climate.

And it's not just network transparency - it seems like any ability to efficiently get primitives and screen updates from a client to a server is just going to be gone, yet this is happening right as everyone's gearing up for high DPI screens and so vector graphics are making a comeback, not to mention the fact that all the remote desktoping people do has been steadily on the upswing.

Reading up on the concept, I do like it, but all my visions of the future of computing tend to involve being able to seamlessly and bandwidth efficiently move and share applications, so not having a path for doing that right out the gate feels like a really bad omission for something that's going to end up being vital.

• Options
    I'm attempting to build AlephOne from source for crunchbang (basically debian wheezy) but the error I'm getting for make is over my head:
    make[3]: Entering directory `/home/anton/downloads/AlephOne-20120514/Source_Files/Lua'
    g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../.. -I../../Source_Files/CSeries -I../../Source_Files/Files -I../../Source_Files/GameWorld -I../../Source_Files/Input -I../../Source_Files/Misc -I../../Source_Files/ModelView -I../../Source_Files/Network -I../../Source_Files/Pfhortran -I../../Source_Files/RenderMain -I../../Source_Files/RenderOther -I../../Source_Files/Sound -I../../Source_Files/XML -I../../Source_Files -I/usr/include/libpng12 -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -DSDL -g -O2 -MT lua_map.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/lua_map.Tpo -c -o lua_map.o lua_map.cpp
    In file included from lua_map.h:39:0,
    from lua_map.cpp:24:
    lua_templates.h: In instantiation of ‘static index_t L_LazyEnum<name, index_t>::ToIndex(lua_State*, int) [with char* name = ((char*)(& Lua_Sound_Name)); index_t = short int; lua_State = lua_State]’:
    lua_map.cpp:1204:33: required from here
    lua_templates.h:499:8: error: ‘_lookup’ was not declared in this scope, and no declarations were found by argument-dependent lookup at the point of instantiation [-fpermissive]
    lua_templates.h:499:8: note: declarations in dependent base ‘L_Enum<((char*)(& Lua_Sound_Name)), short int>’ are not found by unqualified lookup
    lua_templates.h:499:8: note: use ‘L_LazyEnum::_lookup’ instead
    make[3]: *** [lua_map.o] Error 1
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/anton/downloads/AlephOne-20120514/Source_Files/Lua'
    make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/anton/downloads/AlephOne-20120514/Source_Files'
    make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/anton/downloads/AlephOne-20120514'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

any ideas?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    If you're not looking to fix the source, your best bet is to try to find out which version was used to compile it in the past. Newer versions of g++ tend to be a bit more picky (partially since they adhere to the standard better). You're probably using 4.5 or 4.6 so I'd try 4.4 or older if you can.

edit: figuring out a proper -std= flag to pass to g++ might fix your problem as well

End on
  • Options
    End wrote: »
    If you're not looking to fix the source, your best bet is to try to find out which version was used to compile it in the past. Newer versions of g++ tend to be a bit more picky (partially since they adhere to the standard better). You're probably using 4.5 or 4.6 so I'd try 4.4 or older if you can.

edit: figuring out a proper -std= flag to pass to g++ might fix your problem as well

I managed to install the 4.4 package in addition the 4.7 package from synaptic but I don't know how to use 4.4 when building.

• Options
    It probably uses a configure script, right? I believe you can tell it which compiler via environment flag. Try this:
    env CXX=g++-4.4 ./configure

• Options
    End wrote: »
    It probably uses a configure script, right? I believe you can tell it which compiler via environment flag. Try this:
    env CXX=g++-4.4 ./configure

That worked, thank you!

• Options
    Crunchbang keeps setting my Windows 8 clock forward 4 hours. How do I prevent this?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    double post

august on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Sounds like crunchbang is set to treat your hardware clock as UTC. Try editing /etc/default/rcS and changing UTC=yes to UTC=no

End on
  • Options
    Hmm, it's already set to UTC=no.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Odd. What timezone are you in?

I'm bad at timezones, but unless I guessed your timezone wrong, my expectation of your issue was that your problem would have been the other way around (and windows usually isn't set to treat the hw clock as utc). I guess you could try flipping UTC to yes and seeing if it helps.

Alternately, you could disable setting the hardware clock on shutdown completely. Assuming it's doing it as an upstart task, you just need to change the hwclock-save task filename like so:
    mv /etc/init/hwclock-save.conf /etc/init/hwclock-save.conf.disabled

End on