As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Everyone is Fabulous [makeup and skincare] ONLY COOL BOYS ALLOWED

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Hey @Janson and anyone else who wanted to read a review of the activated charcoal I've been using!

http://soapthishelps.com/

• tastypastrytastypastry Can somebody please remove these cutleries from my knees?Registered User regular
    The charcoal is cool! My skin is really dry and sensitive so I don't think it would be a good bet for me but I do need to find a good soap for my face. I tend to exfoliate once a week and just wash my face with water and moisturize twice daily. This is just barely working for me but I think I need a good, nourishing soap to get it into better condition. Do you have any recs? I am now poking around your blog to see what you've tried. Thanks for linking it!

edited February 2012
    I'll do a little looking for you, tasty! But it's true, lots of charcoal soaps have extra moisturizers added to them to balance out the drying. Maybe see if you can get a sample from somewhere.

Sheri on
  • bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    has anyone ordered anything from eshakti before? I like that you can customize the fit, and they have some cute dresses (not that I can afford impulse purchases now, but maybe in the future sometime!)

http://www.eshakti.com/Product/CL0023233/China-tea-dress
    http://www.eshakti.com/Product/CL0023215/Ruffle-front-cotton-poplin-dress
    http://www.eshakti.com/Product/CL0023011/Ruffled-surplice-dress

oops, linked the same dress twice!

this is awesome! thank you for sharing

sure thing! I want someone to buy a dress and tell me how it works out.

@madeddy your eye makeup is pretty, as are you!

thanks for the soap review sheri, I think I will look into getting that when my facewash runs out!

bowtiedseal on
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Oh, man, that charcoal soap just looks badass. And I love really lathery soaps. It is going on the list.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The charcoal is cool! My skin is really dry and sensitive so I don't think it would be a good bet for me but I do need to find a good soap for my face. I tend to exfoliate once a week and just wash my face with water and moisturize twice daily. This is just barely working for me but I think I need a good, nourishing soap to get it into better condition. Do you have any recs? I am now poking around your blog to see what you've tried. Thanks for linking it!

washing with water is probably not helping with the dryness, because water alone dries the heck out of your skin

so yeah, definitely look at a facial soap or cleanser of some description

that said, consider using a Rosewater or Tea Tree toner as well... it will help your moisturizer go a bit further by balancing your skin's pH levels and prepping it for moisturizing, and Rosewater is definitely suitable for sensitive skin; not sure about Tea Tree (it's safe on my sensitive skin at least)

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    @Sheri

today I started on Inner Earth's more popular soap: the Pomengranate one

I don't think my skin likes it, I'm itchy as hell today and I think it's because this one has fragrance in it

also your review on the charcoal soap is A+, it makes me want to look into finding some to use a few times a week!

Vivixenne on
    edited February 2012
    e: also, since shipping is cheaper for me if I buy from Inner Earth, does this ingredient list look similar to the one that you just reviewed from Anderson Soap Co?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/92256216/charcoal-complexion-facial-soap-handmade

Vivixenne on
    I am signing up for tumblr so I can follow your blogs, but man I am so bad at thinking up a url

I only have this name because I was watching arrested development when I signed up!

edited February 2012
    the wonderful thing about tumblr is that you can change your URL whenever you want

so just pick something and change it later!

Vivixenne on
    oh neat!

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    @MadEddy, love the copper! Subtle, but very effective - lovely sheen to it.

@Vivixenne - yay, purple and silver! It looks really good on you, but I agree that it would be even better if the colors 'popped' more.

@Sheri - great review! I want that soap! My charcoal soap is great on my body but I think it's bit too harsh on my face, so I'm on the lookout for more.

• cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »

washing with water is probably not helping with the dryness, because water alone dries the heck out of your skin

so yeah, definitely look at a facial soap or cleanser of some description

that said, consider using a Rosewater or Tea Tree toner as well... it will help your moisturizer go a bit further by balancing your skin's pH levels and prepping it for moisturizing, and Rosewater is definitely suitable for sensitive skin; not sure about Tea Tree (it's safe on my sensitive skin at least)

Tea tree oil can be very drying though so if you have dry skin it may not be the best idea!

Does anybody have a good recommendation for eye makeup removers that aren't drying but also aren't necessarily oil-based like olive oil? I wear contacts so things that are thick or oily can be a no go because they can stain my contact permanently, but if you've got a suggestion for something totally killer that is oil-based I will certainly give it a try.

edited February 2012
    @cabsy - I wear contacts too and this is what I use

http://www.neutrogena.com/product/oil-free+eye+makeup+remover.do

it's cheap, it works, and it's oil-free

I loves it

the only thing that I've found that works better than this that is also justified by the price is Clinique's Take The Day Off Makeup Remover For Lids, Lashes & Lips

Vivixenne on
    Yeah, the Neutrogena oil-free makeup remover is what I use and I love it, but I can't imagine using it with my contacts still in. I don't know about staining, but it can get in your eyes and I don't know what kind of effect it would have on contacts. It's painless and harmless if you get it in your eye, but still.

@casby, can you take your contacts out before you remove your eye makeup? (Assuming you can see well enough to take your makeup off with them out, of course.)

ruby-red-sig.jpg
    Thanks everyone! I used it again this morning and spent, like, five minutes just making as much fluffy lather as possible.

@tastypastry - @Vivixenne is right, straight water washing is worse for dry skin. Look for a facial soap with lots of olive and cocoa butter, or Shea butter. They help put the moisture back in your skin (and keep it there). Like I said, I'll make up a list.

Also Viv I'm sorry you don't like the pomegranate! I always give soaps at least 2 showers, though, because my skin always freaks out at least a little the first time I try a new bar. The itchy may just be that. But if it's really bad, it might not be worth t (in which case, keep it in a cool dry place and I'll take it off your hands at PAX ;) ).

edited February 2012
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    e: also, since shipping is cheaper for me if I buy from Inner Earth, does this ingredient list look similar to the one that you just reviewed from Anderson Soap Co?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/92256216/charcoal-complexion-facial-soap-handmade
    Ingredients: olive oil, sustainable palm oil, coconut oil, water, sodium hydroxide, castor oil, lavender essential oil, tea tree essential oil, activated charcoal powder, white oxide.

I believe mine doesn't have castor, lavender essential or tee tree oils (doesn't have a scent), or white oxide. Do you know if your skin reacts as badly to essential oils as it does to fragrance oils?

(uuuuh what happened there)

Sheri on
    Lavender and tea tree are both fine for my skin and they should be okay.

Yeah I'd give it a go then!

I also like Gabby of Simply Soap, though her blog is a little drama-heavy sometimes. No activated charcoal, but I want to try, like, all of her soaps.

http://www.simplysoap.com.au/

• tastypastrytastypastry Can somebody please remove these cutleries from my knees?Registered User regular
    I pretty much put a warm wash cloth on my face and then gob on the moisturizer but yeah, probably not the best. I just got burnt out on cleansers that make my skin dried out AND blemishy. Blerg. So, going without at least had my skin calm, if on the dry side. I need to figure out which ingredients are good for me and go to there. I will look into toners and for the things you listed, Sheri. Thanks guys! Have any of you tried the oil cleansing? You mix a concoction particular to your skin type and put it on your face and then just wipe it off. I have heard good things but haven't tried it.

• EricsErics Charming to the last Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I pretty much put a warm wash cloth on my face and then gob on the moisturizer but yeah, probably not the best. I just got burnt out on cleansers that make my skin dried out AND blemishy. Blerg. So, going without at least had my skin calm, if on the dry side. I need to figure out which ingredients are good for me and go to there. I will look into toners and for the things you listed, Sheri. Thanks guys! Have any of you tried the oil cleansing? You mix a concoction particular to your skin type and put it on your face and then just wipe it off. I have heard good things but haven't tried it.

I never tried it myself either, but a lady on another forum I post on loves it. It works really well for her and has been doing it for some time. It's kind of time consuming though and I really don't my skin type very well, so I've never really looked into it.

Erics on
    fabulousFantastic.png
    Twitter | Steam | Twitch.tv ~♪
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Hey @tastypastry meant to say this earlier, but I actually also ordered the soap end sampler from rocky top soap shop, that includes a sample of the charcoal activated soap, I think, which you mentioned you wanted to try. You can have that particular soap end when it's delivered to me!

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • StareosarusStareosarus Mrs. Lady Smart Hero FloridaRegistered User regular
    cabsy wrote: »
    Does anybody have a good recommendation for eye makeup removers that aren't drying but also aren't necessarily oil-based like olive oil? I wear contacts so things that are thick or oily can be a no go because they can stain my contact permanently, but if you've got a suggestion for something totally killer that is oil-based I will certainly give it a try.

http://www.blissworld.com/bliss-lid-lash-makeup-remover/

It's different from most other removers I've used. Never had it go into my eyes ever.

• WarbleWarble Registered User regular
    So i bought some rosewater toner via the suggestions on Viv's blog and it's worked remarkably well so far, i'm really impressed! It feels great and it's seems like my acne scars are less noticeable. The best part is my hormonal pimples are much reduced in size, baby pimples are much easier to deal with than monstrous huge ones! I've also been using a night cream and making sure to steam my pores open before cleaning and i basically have no blackheads now, don't really need to exfoliate 8-)

(Basically all credit goes to Viv and her beauty blog)

Dear fabulous thread,

I need a way to get rid of dead skin without irritating my eczema

Ready go

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    So can anyone suggest a good brand of nail polish? Preferably non-animal tested and it also probably needs to be rather tough.

@muse among men my skin has been flipping out a bit lately for seemingly no reason, so I picked up that AHA lotion you recommended. I'll let you know how I like it! how often and when do you use it? morning/night?

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Since we both have darker skin we could use it day and night and it probably wouldn't burn or damage our skin. I would start off only wearing it at night for like a week though, just so your skin can become accustomed to it.

Note: when you first put it on your face doesn't feel that great . . . give it 5-10 minutes and touch your skin and by then it should feel soft.

Really keep note of how it may affect clogged pores/acne. I personally noticed a little bit of purging (in the form of clogged pores and like, two pimples) the first week but it evened out after that.

Warble wrote: »
    So i bought some rosewater toner via the suggestions on Viv's blog and it's worked remarkably well so far, i'm really impressed! It feels great and it's seems like my acne scars are less noticeable. The best part is my hormonal pimples are much reduced in size, baby pimples are much easier to deal with than monstrous huge ones! I've also been using a night cream and making sure to steam my pores open before cleaning and i basically have no blackheads now, don't really need to exfoliate 8-)

(Basically all credit goes to Viv and her beauty blog)

:o :oops:

I'm so glad you found that advice useful! hooray!

Sheri wrote: »
    Dear fabulous thread,

I need a way to get rid of dead skin without irritating my eczema

Ready go

I have been wanting a solution to this one ever since I found out I have eczema :\

let me know if you find anything!

edited February 2012
    So can anyone suggest a good brand of nail polish? Preferably non-animal tested and it also probably needs to be rather tough.

I will always recommend OPI because I am a horrific OPI addict

but other good brands are Zoya, Essie, and China Glaze

Revlon makes good ones, too

not sure on the non-animal testing for all of those brands, but I'm pretty sure OPI and Zoya at least do not test on animals

Vivixenne on

I've not tried it either, but those who do use it regularly love it (then again, they wouldn't be using it regularly if it worked for them, so). It is particularly good for dry skin, so maybe it's worth checking out for you?

I would recommend giving the activated charcoal soap a try, though to be fair I don't know how suitable it would be for skin that is both dry AND sensitive (and I don't know what skintype @Sheri has). If you really do struggle to find something neat that works, check out Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. Non-irritating and effective and totally safe for sensitive skin.

also additional info can be found here (totally shameless plug): http://vivixenne.tumblr.com/post/17066285048/cleaning-my-mug

Hmm. I hadn't really given the animal testing the thought I probably should have, but some cursory googling says that Sinful Colors, wet n wild, and Revlon don't test on animals. Also MAC, I think, but I've never used their nail polish. Revlon and wet n wild are decent, and Sinful Colors is hard wearing but, in my experience, very thin--it usually takes a minimum of three coats to achieve opacity with their polishes.

More important than the brand, really, is to make sure your nails are clean (swipe them with some polish remover and let it dry before you start painting), use a base and top coat, and make sure you let each layer dry thoroughly before you put on the next. Also, don't put it on too thickly. That makes it chip more easily.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
    yeah I'm of the mind that if it takes more than 2 coats, don't bother

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    @Tastypastry: oils might do you good. Olive oil worked for me, but you might like jojoba better. It is fairly popular and sounds a bit classier than rubbing olive oil over your skin (it really does work though).

Oil cleansing works too, it is just time consuming so I don't do it much.

I wear a lot of sinful colors nail polish, and I've only noticed the opacity issue with the light yellow color I have from them. I favor the darker colors anyway so it works for me (I wear a sparkly dark grey almost all the time in the winter, I can't remember what it's called)
    Since we both have darker skin we could use it day and night and it probably wouldn't burn or damage our skin. I would start off only wearing it at night for like a week though, just so your skin can become accustomed to it.

Note: when you first put it on your face doesn't feel that great . . . give it 5-10 minutes and touch your skin and by then it should feel soft.

Really keep note of how it may affect clogged pores/acne. I personally noticed a little bit of purging (in the form of clogged pores and like, two pimples) the first week but it evened out after that.

thanks! I'm going to try to ease into using it and hopefully avoid the purging, I hate that part of trying new stuff :/

edited February 2012
    well the purging is a necessary thing, really

since it's bringing up stuff trapped in your pores out more quickly

Vivixenne on
    I'm generally a skeptic of the purging thing though

http://www.beautylish.com/a/vmiii/beauty-myth-does-your-skin-purge-impurities

ah, cool, that's fair enough

but at the same time that doc is recommending hydrocortisone on your face, which generally causes way more problems than it cures (and I know this being an eczema sufferer who uses it to treat rashes)

so I dunno, I'm sure she's got a very good point, because getting stuff caught in your pores should be causing pimples/breakouts ANYWAY, not after it's been "drawn out"

yeah, I think there are things to be said for both sides! in my experience I've found that introducing new products/face washes slowly works well for me in avoiding initial breakouts from new things. but sometimes I get impatient!

This discussion has been closed.