As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Everyone is Fabulous [makeup and skincare] ONLY COOL BOYS ALLOWED

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    you do also get a lot of people getting a new product, using it for a little bit (like twice or three times) and then immediately chucking it out because it's caused a breakout

really it is more useful to think of your skin in "trauma", where it is adjusting to the introduction of a new thing

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    agreed!

sad we only have ten more pages of this thread :(

• Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    I don't really believe that purging can cleanse so deeply that you are still purging for more than like, a week or so. It might draw some stuff to the surface a bit faster but that was gonna come to in a few days regardless. Generally I think your skin just needs to get used to the new ingredients.

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    don't worry bits, I'm pretty sure Muse was going to remake this thread once we hit 100

there is enough content going on to warrant it

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    So can anyone suggest a good brand of nail polish? Preferably non-animal tested and it also probably needs to be rather tough.

Hmm. I hadn't really given the animal testing the thought I probably should have, but some cursory googling says that Sinful Colors, wet n wild, and Revlon don't test on animals. Also MAC, I think, but I've never used their nail polish. Revlon and wet n wild are decent, and Sinful Colors is hard wearing but, in my experience, very thin--it usually takes a minimum of three coats to achieve opacity with their polishes.

More important than the brand, really, is to make sure your nails are clean (swipe them with some polish remover and let it dry before you start painting), use a base and top coat, and make sure you let each layer dry thoroughly before you put on the next. Also, don't put it on too thickly. That makes it chip more easily.

im surprised that you found sinful colors so thin, its one of my favorite brands and ive found that id only ever needed one coat

unless youre talking about the very glittery paints, you'd definitely want some kind of base color for those

also of note is that you can go into a wal-greens and get a bottle for about 3 dollars each

anyway, ive recently bought biore's "hard day's night" overnight moisturizer and it made my face feel SO SMOOTH in the morning, am i allowed to use it for my morning rituals as well or is that overkill?

edited February 2012
    if it's for overnight use, keep it for overnight use; it's probably quite a bit thicker

during the day your skin is more active and generating more oil than it does at night, so you really don't want to use a very thick cream for the day; you are very likely to end up with your face feeling super oily/goopy during the day

Vivixenne on
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    So can anyone suggest a good brand of nail polish? Preferably non-animal tested and it also probably needs to be rather tough.

Hmm. I hadn't really given the animal testing the thought I probably should have, but some cursory googling says that Sinful Colors, wet n wild, and Revlon don't test on animals. Also MAC, I think, but I've never used their nail polish. Revlon and wet n wild are decent, and Sinful Colors is hard wearing but, in my experience, very thin--it usually takes a minimum of three coats to achieve opacity with their polishes.

More important than the brand, really, is to make sure your nails are clean (swipe them with some polish remover and let it dry before you start painting), use a base and top coat, and make sure you let each layer dry thoroughly before you put on the next. Also, don't put it on too thickly. That makes it chip more easily.

im surprised that you found sinful colors so thin, its one of my favorite brands and ive found that id only ever needed one coat

unless youre talking about the very glittery paints, you'd definitely want some kind of base color for those

also of note is that you can go into a wal-greens and get a bottle for about 3 dollars each

Well, I've only used two of their colors. One was a turquoise, and the other was a yellow and yellows are often kind of troublesome, anyway. I was really impressed by how long they lasted, though.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
    edited February 2012
    re: the blog that I write

right now I am writing as eclectic a collection of beauty-based articles as I can come up with (so trying not to focus too much on any one category between eyes, face, and skincare)

mixing in stuff I am learning with stuff that I feel confident giving insight about, etc

but I guess my question to those of you who read it is: what do you find most helpful about the blog? is there any kind of article you'd like to see more of?

I've got an exfoliation 2-part post queued up for the next couple of days and a few random drafts that I can post if I can't come up with anything more substantive, but apart from that... thoughts?

Vivixenne on
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    neutrogena-blackhead-eliminating-daily-scrub.jpg

about four days ago I started using the neutrogena blackhead eliminating scrub, and last night I used it with my olay pro-x scrubber (a very acceptable clarisonic knockoff, if anybody's interested)

this stuff is amazing. my skin is baby-butt smooth today and the blackheads I had started to notice on my chin are already vanishing.

someone was asking about blackhead stuff earlier, I suggest giving this a whirl

kQwcZLJ.png
    yeah I linked to it a few pages ago I think

awesome to hear some good feedback about it!

how rough/harsh is it? would it be safe for sensitive skin? I know it has salicylic acid in it so for me it'd be a one-off use to treat a very ACUTE blackhead breakout, yeah... is it gentle enough for someone like me?

• World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    I consider my skin to be very sensitive - I have little patches of dermatitis/eczema breakouts if I'm not careful - but I have used pretty rough acne prescriptions in the past, so it's probably not quite as sensitive as yours to the medicinal aspect of it

as an exfoliant, I think it's really mild. the beads are large and sparse.

kQwcZLJ.png
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I noticed several people here have eczema. Is it not as rare as I thought?

JtgVX0H.png
    @world as myth thanks for the rec! I have the pro-x too. how often do you use it? I use it probably twice a week and am wondering if I should up that.

@vivixenne for me, the most useful posts on your blog are about makeup because I'm totally unaware of that world. I never realized until this thread/reading your blog that brushes for eye/face makeup are essential things to have! I always just used the crappy little wand-things that came with my cheap makeup. as far as skincare, I consider myself fairly educated after doing considerable research when I was having a lot of skin issues in my early 20s, but I always like seeing product recommendations.

thanks @bowtiedseal that is super useful feedback and I'll keep it in mind :)

• SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    I pretty much put a warm wash cloth on my face and then gob on the moisturizer but yeah, probably not the best. I just got burnt out on cleansers that make my skin dried out AND blemishy. Blerg. So, going without at least had my skin calm, if on the dry side. I need to figure out which ingredients are good for me and go to there. I will look into toners and for the things you listed, Sheri. Thanks guys! Have any of you tried the oil cleansing? You mix a concoction particular to your skin type and put it on your face and then just wipe it off. I have heard good things but haven't tried it.

I've not tried it either, but those who do use it regularly love it (then again, they wouldn't be using it regularly if it worked for them, so). It is particularly good for dry skin, so maybe it's worth checking out for you?

I would recommend giving the activated charcoal soap a try, though to be fair I don't know how suitable it would be for skin that is both dry AND sensitive (and I don't know what skintype @Sheri has). If you really do struggle to find something neat that works, check out Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser. Non-irritating and effective and totally safe for sensitive skin.

also additional info can be found here (totally shameless plug): http://vivixenne.tumblr.com/post/17066285048/cleaning-my-mug

Just for reference:

Face - normal/dry
    Body - dry/sensitive

Also lots of eczema websites suggest showering/bathing before bed (as your skin is doing less and tends to retain moisture better). I would totally switch to showering at night if it weren't for the fact that my hair is a DISASTER after I've slept on it.

• EricsErics Charming to the last Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    New acne prescriptions I have been using appear to be helping me clear up. BUT WILL IT CONTINUE?

History says no. I'm secretly hoping yes though.

fabulousFantastic.png
    Twitter | Steam | Twitch.tv ~♪
    edited February 2012
    Erics

Here is my fool-proof acne prevention suggestion

Ready?

Here it comes
    Birth control

You're welcome.

Sheri on
    I don't know how THAT happened

The quote button looks nothing like the spoiler button!

Sheri wrote: »
    Erics

Here is my fool-proof acne prevention suggestion

Ready?

Here it comes
    Birth control

You're welcome.

Hahaha. Dude, seriously, I wish that were an option cause it seems like one of the best ways to clear it up.

I'm not a lady though!

fabulousFantastic.png
    thanks for the tip, guys, ill use a thinner lotion during the day

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Sometimes I shower at night and then just wash my hair in the sink in the mornings to save time, because I am not at all a morning person. Maybe that would work?

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • StareosarusStareosarus Mrs. Lady Smart Hero FloridaRegistered User regular
    While Zoya is not animal tested, I found their formula to be awful. It was streaky, I couldn't get decent coverage with it.

If you really want to try their stuff, follow them on twitter and facebook. They do deals quite frequently, which is how I picked up several colors.

I will probably be trying to get rid of the ones I've picked up sometime soon, too. They're just taking up space right now.

• tastypastrytastypastry Can somebody please remove these cutleries from my knees?Registered User regular
    Sometimes I shower at night and then just wash my hair in the sink in the mornings to save time, because I am not at all a morning person. Maybe that would work?

Or! Be like me and don't wash your hair except like every 4 days. I am a night showerer because it weirds me out to climb into bed without washing off first and it has the benefit of making my morning routine much quicker!

I do this every once in a while, but I can't do it in the sink cuz our sink is really shallow so I have to like kneel over the tub and it is just

It's bad

Really bad

I hate doing it

I should just invest in a spray bottle full of water, wet down my hair in the AM and then style

Or! Be like me and don't wash your hair except like every 4 days. I am a night showerer because it weirds me out to climb into bed without washing off first and it has the benefit of making my morning routine much quicker!

No no you don't understand

When I sleep on my hair, washed or unwashed, I wake up looking like I've been in a drunken brawl

Hair all askew

Sticking straight up

Oh it's hilarious

A quick thing to do would be to wet your hair with a spray bottle and then run a dry product through it, like a dry shampoo or conditioner. Then add a heat protectant (like a oil or spray) and THEN style.

• tastypastrytastypastry Can somebody please remove these cutleries from my knees?Registered User regular
    @lostwords, thanks friend!! <3 Just a nib of that would be awesome.

Viv, I have used Cetaphil in the past but anything more than twice a week broke me out. I swear I have the weirdest skin. :( Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking into the oil stuff, pretty interesting.

Muse, thanks for the jojoba tip, I am glad you liked the oils, crossing fingers they are a go for me as well! So, did you just use straight olive oil?

Sheri, birth control never gave me nice skin. Oh how I hope y'all who are smiled upon by the pill appreciate it, what luck!

washing my hair more than once, maybe twice a week is actually very bad for it so i dont have to worry about THAT haha

my problem is that i get sleep in my eyes really easily, and then have to be wary of the water leaving a kind of streak on my cheeks (the water isnt dirty, it just dries me out so thoroughly the drier parts are VISIBLY DIFFERENT)

When I sleep on my hair, washed or unwashed, I wake up looking like I've been in a drunken brawl

Hair all askew

Sticking straight up

Oh it's hilarious

I love sleep-hair. I bet yours is adorable.

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Accutane worked miracles on my acne, but it's essentially the scorched earth approach. And I don't think you can get it in the US anymore. Years later, I get occasional acne, but nothing like middle school. One of the best things that ever happened to me.

edited February 2012
    Viv, I have used Cetaphil in the past but anything more than twice a week broke me out. I swear I have the weirdest skin. :( Thanks for the suggestions. I am looking into the oil stuff, pretty interesting.

It's very unusual that a daily cleanser (even a harsh and bad one) would break you out, especially if you are using moisturizer too... generally you'd find that overcleansing makes your skin red and gives you a rash or other kind of irritation. It could be that it's not strong enough to do the job on its own so it wasn't cleaning your skin enough?

Are you sure your skintype is dry? Sensitive skin can look like dry skin but there are sensitive-oily types too, and these will need way stronger cleansers than the Cetaphil gentle one.

Oil cleansing is a nice idea, but you have to go into it with a very clear understanding of your skintype. If your skin is kinda "weird," like you say, you might need to figure out what precisely that weirdness is before you try to do the oil stuff.

Vivixenne on
    edited February 2012

It's very unusual that a daily cleanser (even a harsh and bad one) would break you out, especially if you are using moisturizer too... generally you'd find that it makes your skin red and gives you a rash or other kind of irritation. It could be that it's not strong enough to do the job on its own so it wasn't cleaning your skin enough?

Are you sure your skintype is dry? Sensitive skin can look like dry skin but there are sensitive-oily types too, and these will need way stronger cleansers than the Cetaphil gentle one.

Oil cleansing is a nice idea, but you have to go into it with a very clear understanding of your skintype. If your skin is kinda "weird," like you say, you might need to figure out what precisely that weirdness is before you try to do the oil stuff.

Yeah, went from just dry skin to dry with acne -but like lots of little bumps, maybe a rash. It was a couple of years ago. You are definitely dead on about me getting to know my skin before I try more stuff. If I moisturize and that is it, it is mostly fine but kind of dull. Specific acne-targeting cleansers completely dry my skin out. I will keep researching. I used to try new products fairly regularly but it hasn't been a priority for awhile. Back on my mind now, though! Thanks for all the help.

tastypastry on

Hair all askew

Sticking straight up

Oh it's hilarious

@Javen likes it, but I suspect it's cuz I look funny

edited February 2012
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Accutane worked miracles on my acne, but it's essentially the scorched earth approach. And I don't think you can get it in the US anymore. Years later, I get occasional acne, but nothing like middle school. One of the best things that ever happened to me.

You still can, just not actual "Accutane." From my understanding it's just all generics now (not that it matters).

And yeah, I've been trying to avoid using Accutane since my acne was becoming a serious problem (10 years ago?), and at this point it's looking like it might be the only option I have left to ever have clear skin.

Erics on
    fabulousFantastic.png
  • SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Sheri wrote:

Hair all askew

Sticking straight up

Oh it's hilarious

@Javen likes it, but I suspect it's cuz I look funny

Some of my coworkers surprised me on my birthday to take me to breakfast and I got teased for my morning bedhead. It's gets crazy curly while I sleep so I tend to look like a brunette Shirley Temple...

A quick thing to do would be to wet your hair with a spray bottle and then run a dry product through it, like a dry shampoo or conditioner. Then add a heat protectant (like a oil or spray) and THEN style.

wet hair + dry shampoo sounds like a terrible pasty mixture! does this actually work well?

kQwcZLJ.png
    edited February 2012

wet hair + dry shampoo sounds like a terrible pasty mixture! does this actually work well?

well you don't wet your hair until it's damp; it's just a light spritz here and there

mostly I find it helps me get the shampoo in there so much easier, but hey it could just be the texture of my hair... that powder seriously just falls out, my hair is so silky

(OOO LOOKITME MY HAIR TOOOOO SILKYYYYYY MY LIFE IS SOOOO HAAAAARD well it's a genuine pain so :()

I've given up on dry shampoos after using them a few times, because unless your hair has some kind of grip to it (and the light spritz of water helped me with that), man, that shit just went EVERYWHERE

plus I did suggest it thinking about how to prep hair for styling without actually washing it... wetting hair alone and then styling it is generally a quick way to damage your hair; it's far better to wet you hair and then run a heat protectant or oil treatment through it, THEN style

but I mean that's just me and I don't use curling or straightening irons so

Vivixenne on
    how I style slept-on hair:

hair that was soaking wet when I went to sleep - there's no hope. ponytail.

hair that was damp, combed, and had a bit of product in it - I get manageable waves/curls and I don't have to do anything.

hair that was dry - sometimes I don't have to do anything. other times I spray it with water and try to tame the crazier frizz by guiding curls with my fingers, followed by a small amount of spray-gel.

I'm lucky since my hair is messy normally, so sleeping on it doesn't wreak too much more havoc than just wearing it down during the day. I hardly ever style with heat, but when I do straighten my hair I wash it with shampoo the day/night before I plan on straightening, and don't co-wash or get it wet the day of.

I've never tried dry shampoo. do they have sulfates?

This discussion has been closed.