As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Amanda [CHAT]mer

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    do they ever deliberately engineer teleporter mishaps

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Mim wrote:
    Here's a link: http://paiwings.blogspot.com/2010/03/wtf-amanda-palmer.html

but this is what she tweeted:
    ironic product placement is only ok if you take no money & beyond that give all the income to something ironic. like the Klan

it just made me do this O_o

I'm regretting reading everything on this blog post.

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    It is kind of shitty to joke about giving money to the KKK. Not racist based on intent, I guess, but still thoughtless and insensitive.

I mean, I wouldn't joke about giving money to Nazis either.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    you know what they needed

like 45 more evil rikers

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Look, let's just say Sisko and Kirk are awesome and should have a good cop bad cop thing going on.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    what stops transporters in star trek

what stops people from transporting thermonuclear bombs onto the bridge of the enemy ship, exactly

Energy shields, for one thing. Also anything that prevents you scanning the area to target precisely.

They actually do the "beam a bomb aboard a ship" trick once or twice. Not enough.

a nuclear weapon doesn't really need to arrive more precisely than "inside"

although, on the bridge, with a little note saying "Hi there!" would be preferable

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    evilbob wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

what stops people from transporting thermonuclear bombs onto the bridge of the enemy ship, exactly

can't transport through sheilds.

so ship to ship combat is all about bringing the enemy shield down, I hope
    after shields go down they generally keep just shooting until consoles explode

• Options
    Elendil wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    evilbob wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

or teleport over and have fist fights

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    evilbob wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

Basically standard ship combat is:

1. Break their shields
    2. Throw explosives at them/cut their ship up with phasers

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Quid wrote:
    Mim wrote:
    Here's a link: http://paiwings.blogspot.com/2010/03/wtf-amanda-palmer.html

but this is what she tweeted:
    ironic product placement is only ok if you take no money & beyond that give all the income to something ironic. like the Klan

it just made me do this O_o

I'm regretting reading everything on this blog post.

Hmm, I only posted the blog because I thought it had a link to the screen cap to prove that it was real.

Apparently the photo is of a man on a statue looking goofy.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    what's so great about riker

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Elendil wrote:

Blow up the ship? Nah, just shoot it until everyone on the bridge is dead due to their consoles exploding.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    I want to give Data the benefit of the doubt, but I think he would make typical unintentionally humorous deadpan comments and then the terminators would respond by beating his traitor ass sideways for betraying the race and working for humans.

• Options
    Elendil wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    evilbob wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

Sigh.

And people wonder why I don't like star trek.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Ah the "everything explodes because it's connected, vaguely, to something else" thing Star Trek has.

Swear to God I just want to run through the writer's office with a bat demanding of every person if they know what a fail safe actually is.

• Options
    It is kind of shitty to joke about giving money to the KKK. Not racist based on intent, I guess, but still thoughtless and insensitive.

I mean, I wouldn't joke about giving money to Nazis either.

Yeah, I didn't go into a red face rage and beat on my keyboard with the anger of a thousand bulls or anything. I was just like "What."

• Options
    God, I want it to be Friday already.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    evilbob wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

Basically standard ship combat is:

1. Break their shields
    2. Throw explosives at them/cut their ship up with phasers

why?

it's over once the shields are gone

all that's left to do is hope to hell the enemy is going to be a gracious victor

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

Energy shields, for one thing. Also anything that prevents you scanning the area to target precisely.

They actually do the "beam a bomb aboard a ship" trick once or twice. Not enough.

although, on the bridge, with a little note saying "Hi there!" would be preferable

Photon Torpedoes are said to be more powerful than nukes, without the radiation. However the few times we see planetary bombardment this doesn't seem to be the case.

• Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Oh hey, I just got an email from Carl Levin. The guy I'm never voting for. It says....... the PROTECT IP Act wasn't really *that* bad, but there are concerns... yadda yadda Harry Reid postponed the vote blah blah.... he thinks that's great.

Wonderful.

What a waste of time.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote:

he's the best at space

• Options
    Quid wrote:
    Ah the "everything explodes because it's connected, vaguely, to something else" thing Star Trek has.

Swear to God I just want to run through the writer's office with a bat demanding of every person if they know what a fail safe actually is.

its basically an extension of the old "spill water on keyboard, entire computer lights on fire" meme

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Echo wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

Blow up the ship? Nah, just shoot it until everyone on the bridge is dead due to their consoles exploding.

How about them not running high voltage through their futurecomputers?

My processor runs at what, 1,5volts? Or am I getting that wrong. It's unlikely to kill me by exploding, which of course is a feature that was mentioned on the box.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    I miss TOS where ship combat was either awesome ww2 submarines or lying your ass off about having a huge imaginary bomb on your ship.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Nerdgasmic wrote:

DAT BEARD

Also he was pretty awesome in "Best of Both Worlds".

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

Photon Torpedoes are said to be more powerful than nukes, without the radiation. However the few times we see planetary bombardment this doesn't seem to be the case.

anything more than a nuke would just be showing off. It's inside.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Quid wrote:

Or breakers.

• Options
    Elendil wrote:
    Nerdgasmic wrote:

he's the best at space

tumblr_l04kf3MFyX1qazyfko1_500.jpg

• Options
    evilbob wrote:
    I miss TOS where ship combat was either awesome ww2 submarines or lying your ass off about having a huge imaginary bomb on your ship.

Corbomite is the best.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Okay, now I've weighed in on both robot conversations and can sip coffee.

What did you guys think about the state of the union? I seemed pretty campaign-y but I sort of expected that. The parts like where he seemed to be describing magic body armor for soldiers seemed kinda moonbeams and fairy dust although that is also a SotU tradition

• Options
    Favorite Levar Burton clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UajEx7iU9-M

• Options
    evilbob wrote:

Corbomite is the best.

Bitches don't know about my tricobalt devices

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Also why not lock onto incoming projectiles with the transporter / tractor beam to evade or redirect them?

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I don't get why the bloggers act so mystified by the post, though. She's just saying that examples of ironic product placement (like this scene from Wayne's World) are only truly ironic if the money that the writers/directors/whomever received was spent on something loathsome. Otherwise they benefit from the product placement, which would make the seemingly ironic gesture into a completely mundane financial arrangement.

But she could've just as easily replaced KKK with Poison Toad Petting Zoo or something insane like that and achieved the same effect.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    YOU CAN'T DISAPPOINT A PICTURE.

• Options
    Echo wrote:
    evilbob wrote:

Corbomite is the best.

Bitches don't know about my tricobalt devices

According to assorted wikis, those were the only two Voyager brought with them. Would phasering the array have taken so long, rather than wasting a resource you have no means of replenishing, Janeway?

• Options
    TL DR wrote:
    Also why not lock onto incoming projectiles with the transporter / tractor beam to evade or redirect them?

They're made of untransportanium.

• Options
    mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

Supposedly they're armed with '1.5kg of matter and 1.5kg of antimatter' which somehow has been worked out to be approx 64.4 megatons of explosive power.

• Options
    "YOU CAN'T DISAPPOINT A PICTURE!"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    TL DR wrote:

It generally seems to take about two seconds to get a transporter lock on any given object.

And if they did, then you could get around it just by having shields on the missiles.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
This discussion has been closed.