As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good Introductory Books about Zen Buddhism

KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
edited January 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Anyone know of any good books that could teach me, a guy who knows incredibly little, about Zen Buddhism? Not necessarily the history of it, but the teachings of the philosophy (religion?) itself.

mrsatansig.png
KrunkMcGrunk on

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    I've found the works of Chih Chung Tsai (or Tsai Chih Chung or Cai Zhizhong) to be very accessible. It's more like illustrated Koans than a text that tries to teach you something in the way of the Western academic tradition.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Big Suzuki (DT Suzuki):

Zen_Buddhism_%28book%29.jpg

Little Suzuki (Shunryu Suzuki):

Zen_Mind%2C_Beginner%27s_Mind.jpg

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Cage1Cage1 Registered User new member
    Feral's got it. Especially Beginners mind, in my opinion. "Everyday Zen" by Jocko Bek is supposed to be sweet and great, too.

• Options
    Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    I read a book by a writer named Osho about zen that was very interesting, not just informative, but helpful in internalizing some the more ineffable ideas. I can't figure out which one it was because he has written hundreds of books, but the most popular seems to be called Zen: path of paradox.

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

mrsatansig.png