As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

80s music [chat]

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    it was
    the ending to men in black
    guys.

thanks for nothing.

well, you did it sorta messy
    we're not on the cat's collar, but we are a marble. In a bag of other marbles.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I have a hard time believeing that nothing spontaneously became something, but that's probably just because my concept of reality is a crazy invented imprepretation of inaccurate readings taken by flawed sensors.

What about the notion that there's not really anything before the big bang because really time and space just infinitely tend towards zero in that direction?

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Life is a million pizzas, slowly being mashed together

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    it was
    guys.

thanks for nothing.

Did you know they're making a third one?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote:

This reminds me that I need to keep reading Snow Crash, even if the first chapter almost made me fling the book across the room in disgust. It is after all, only the first chapter.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    No describing a nothing would be opening a sketchbook and not even raising your pen.

There is nothing next to the nothing, because the nothing has no dimensions and therefore can not possibly have borders.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    emnmnme wrote:
    it was
    guys.

thanks for nothing.

is tommy lee jones and will smith gonna be in it?

because more of it, MIB is fun

Yep.

• Options
    Honk wrote: »
    No describing a nothing would be opening a sketchbook and not even raising your pen.

There is nothing next to the nothing, because the nothing has no dimensions and therefore can not possibly have borders.

nothing = everything

??!?!11

• Options
    emnmnme wrote:
    it was
    guys.

thanks for nothing.

is tommy lee jones and will smith gonna be in it?

because more of it, MIB is fun

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    if you can describe it with any other words than "nothing" then it's not nothing

I can say "5 cm of emptiness" and that's not nothing, that's empty space

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Eddy wrote:

This reminds me that I need to keep reading Snow Crash, even if the first chapter almost made me fling the book across the room in disgust. It is after all, only the first chapter.

It is a goofy book all the way through.

And there is at least one future incident in which you will fling the book across the room in disgust.

It is really, truly, a nerd's book.

• Options
    Empty space = nothing.

• Options
    although, I'll say, MIB 1 was by far the best.

The "really unpractical chair" gag was grand.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Amazon.ca doesn't have MiB on Blu-ray. :(

• Options
    Life is just continual fulgurations of the Divinity

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote:
    Empty space = nothing.

nope. It's space. Which has dimensions, curvatures, all kinds of crazy shit to tell about empty space.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Winky wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Eddy wrote:

And there is at least one future incident in which you will fling the book across the room in disgust.

What? What? What's wrong with the first chapter? Admittedly, I haven't read Snow Crash in a while, but that's where you learn just how ridiculous the whole thing is and that's awesome.

• Options
    Turtles all the way down.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    although, I'll say, MIB 1 was by far the best.

The "really unpractical chair" gag was grand.

Oh, for sure, that was a great gag and MIB 1 was a lot better than MIB 2... But i'm still looking forward to MIB 3.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote:

Hofstadter has been making me believe it is really turtles all the way down, just ever smaller turtles.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Eddy wrote:

no no, persevere and read

for all the silliness there are a lot of cool little touches and "!" moments that are absolutely worth reading

edit: no wait, i'm thinking of diamond age which was dorky but had cool moments

snow crash is kind of dorky but hmm

desc on
  • Options
    In other words we are forever pushed along by the deep, rhythmic thrusts of God

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    emnmnme wrote:
    Empty space = nothing.

nope. It's space. Which has dimensions, curvatures, all kinds of crazy shit to tell about empty space.

Once again, your dimensions are based on what's around the empty space, not the space itself.

Here's you: "If you start at the center of an empty space and proceed 5 meters in any direction, you will still encounter empty space but the fact that you can measure distance means empty space is not nothing."

Here's me: "Center?"

• Options
    Winky wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

Hofstadter has been making me believe it is really turtles all the way down, just ever smaller turtles.

what possible reason do you have to believe that?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Eddy wrote:

the big bang and heat death of the universe are just shiva and shakti fuckin', huh

• Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    wait

the best part about that trailer

"you wan't me to jump?"

"time jump."

• Options
    desc wrote: »
    Eddy wrote:

the big bang and heat death of the universe are just shiva and shakti fuckin', huh

I think we may have something here...

• Options
    Nova_C wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Eddy wrote:

What? What? What's wrong with the first chapter? Admittedly, I haven't read Snow Crash in a while, but that's where you learn just how ridiculous the whole thing is and that's awesome.

The sentence "That is good, that means high turnover for him, fast action, keep moving that 'za." (With 'za being short for pizza) almost caused me just to drop the book into the bathtub I was soaking in because no, bad, BAD.

But as I said its the first chapter and I plan to continue reading it, don't worry.

• Options
    emnmnme wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    emnmnme wrote:
    Empty space = nothing.

Once again, your dimensions are based on what's around the empty space, not the space itself.

Here's you: "If you start at the center of an empty space and proceed 5 meters in any direction, you will still encounter empty space but the fact that you can measure distance means empty space is not nothing."

You... realize that your made up statement having "center" is the only thing wrong with it, and there is no reason to add center but to make it seem wrong?

So... yeah, defeat your own argument.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    deadlyrhetoricdeadlyrhetoric "We could be two straight lines in a crooked world."__BANNED USERS regular
    "time jump"

• Options
    Eddy wrote:
    desc wrote: »
    Eddy wrote:

I think we may have something here...

nonono, see, we're the orgasm.

the big bang was the beginning of it, then the rush peters out into what we interpret as the heat death.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    When the dude is all "Take this" I thought he was going to say "It's dangerous to go alone."

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    emnmnme wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    emnmnme wrote:
    Empty space = nothing.

You... realize that your made up statement having "center" is the only thing wrong with it, and there is no reason to add center but to make it seem wrong?

So... yeah, defeat your own argument.

no, u

• Options
    having my arguments made for me is a little disconcerting, but it's kinda nice. I could get used to this kind of debate.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    In my tractatus pizza napoletana, this is all easily handwaved away

• Options
    One thing I will give Snow Crash is that it describes a universe with highly reliable pizza delivery.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Is there an easy/cheap way for me to install Mac OSX on my PC solely for testing Mac app/software installations? What is the bare minimum I would need for that? Do I need a separate partition?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Ugh I could be at home playing Super MNC or LoL on MBACC but noooo I am stuck at a coffee shop.

Stupid swapping shifts.

Which means I also don't get to go to the chinese new years parade today.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This discussion has been closed.