As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Rhythm Heaven Fever] This game is okay, I suppose.

• FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Never played any of these games before, but I'm totally in love with "wubadubadub is that true?"

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    Kupi wrote:
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA, oh god. I was wondering if there was some kind of fail-out mechanism, but I guess they just rate you for quality? I swear I'm going to try to find the most hilarious ways to screw up the actual timing for every game.

That poor reporter...

She knew the risks when she signed up. It comes with the territory.

WOAH! You go big guys!!!

This really does look like something my little cousins would enjoy playing.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Rhythm Rally can really suck it. I hate the second one so fucking much, but earlier this morning I got the chance to attempt a perfect run at the first, and I choked big time. Fuck me. >.<

Edit - Clarification: This is the ping-pong song in Rhythm Heaven DS.

Henroid on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Ha, I was just thinking of making this thread.

Here's an Iwata Asks for it.
    Editor's note: The game Manzai is not available on versions outside of Japan due to the Japanese-dialogue focused nature of the game. It has been replaced with the game Mr. Upbeat for versions outside of Japan.

Here's what we aren't getting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpEpAN0Wnc4&amp;feature=related

I wish I knew what kind of things they were saying that just isn't translatable.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Manzai is a stand-up comedy routine where a straight man (tsukkomi) and a funny man (boke) fire off jokes in rapid succession. From my limited Japanese knowledge, it seems they're using puns in the game where the straight man responds with なんでやねん (nande yanen or what the hell/what are you talking about?) and a hand slap. This works since Japanese words can have different meanings even though they sound the same. In English, puns are universally awful, because words aren't easy to be interpreted differently, so you can hear the pun from a mile away. Again, I'm no master of linguistics, but this seems to be the primary reason.

Double entendres work in English (that's what she said), but their joke delivery usually depend on the context of a sentence rather than different meanings of a single word, which is necessary for the rapid joke routine of a manzai act.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    I wish they would allow Japanese audio options or something, but I know that isn't going to happen, so I just hope English Vocals for songs are good (That bit from remix 3 sounds ok) but I wasn't happy with the DS ones.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
  • JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    Oh no. No no no no. Games I want need to stopping coming out.

Rhythm Heaven is fucking awesome. I hated it. Then I learned that it wasn't going to tolerate fucking around and sloppiness. Now whenever I play it I feel like a Zen master.

..but I still don't have all the medals. And rhythm games are the only games I care about 100%ing.

sig.gif
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    The GBA game was absolute sex. Got every perfect medal in the game and then deleted my save so I could start over.

DS also very good but a real or perceived lack of accuracy with touch input meant I finished it but never got around to getting all those medals.

Wii looks fantastic and very glad they're back to button input. I do feel that this kind of game fits much better into my life on handheld though.

Going to have the kimono clapping song in my head all day now.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited January 2012
    I wish I could get Rhythm Tengoku at this point. WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME TO DO THIS FIVE YEARS AGO

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I've been thinking about picking this up and playing it with a friend of mine. It seems like one of those games that would make you laugh hysterically in good company.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
    Zephiran wrote:
    I've been thinking about picking this up and playing it with a friend of mine. It seems like one of those games that would make you laugh hysterically in good company.

The first time my friend played the DS version he couldn't stop laughing at this part, pissing off the other glee club members:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgYdcLOF2_M

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    Chen wrote:
    I wish I could get Rhythm Tengoku at this point. WHY DID NO ONE TELL ME TO DO THIS FIVE YEARS AGO

We so did!

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/884110#Comment_884110

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    HAHAHAHA, that's awesome.

I wish I had bought the GBA release when I had the chance =( I love the Dondon panpan song from Bon Odori. I know the samurai minigame is there, but I was told the Bon Odori isn't. Sad face.

• Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    Welp, guess I'm adding another game on the massive backlog pile :P

Tengoku I kinda just got stuck to and didn't stop for like a day, Rhythm Heaven was possibly the most fun DS game I've touched, This one's going to be pure sex.

And the U.S. version of the wrestler game is gonna be even more ripe for memes than the Japanese one.

"wubadubadub is that true?" *Mario from Hotel Mario turns around* NO.

"Whoa! you go big guys!" "SPAGHETTI"

edited February 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM6FkmkHzIs

It's amazing how well the lyrics sync up with the game. I'm going to be so cross if it's butchered in the localized version. Ah, who am I kidding, I'll complain either way. I'm a complainer.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    Just checked and the game is of course not even dated yet for Europe. Ho hum.

At least it has a localised name (Beat the Beat: Rhythm Paradise) and hence is vaguely confrimed to be coming at some point. This is better news than I had feared I might find.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    There's also a DS Rhythm Heaven game you could pick up in the meantime if you can find it and haven't got it already.

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I spent a good amount of the evening going through Rhythm Tengoku (GBA) in a single session. I suppose I'm just about ready for Rhythm Heaven Fever now... though given that it's still some time before its release, I should go through Rhythm Heaven (DS) again. Looks like I've got five perfects left to achieve...

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Chen wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM6FkmkHzIs

It's amazing how well the lyrics sync up with the game. I'm going to be so cross if it's butchered in the localized version. Ah, who am I kidding, I'll complain either way. I'm a complainer.

... I need this game, now. That mix was so rad.

edited February 2012
    Two more stages that look really neat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYRUSWA6tN8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U88jbIUORAE

Edit - By the way, actual spoilers, but
    Some GBA levels have been remade and put into the game. Dunno if that's carrying over.

Henroid on
    edited February 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaNzUDaWSrI

they done goofed

(Okay, it's not that bad. Although I kind of miss the Engrish "Okay don't mind!" and "Hey! You can do!", and "Crazy into you!" doesn't sound very natural.)

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    Yeah actually it's just as good as the Japanese version, other than the "crazy into you" which doesn't verbally flow very well. "Crazy" has too many consonants to use it quickly like they do.

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm super excited for this. I full perfected the DS game (Moai 2 was a bitch) so I'm ready to devour this game until it's a withered husk.

Opty on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The game itself said it best,

"Eh. Good enough."

I was curious how they were going to handle the rap. I guess "Crazy into you" sounds a lot better in its own game. Or at least I hope so.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited February 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPoqXu6QLl4

Another English song. Not bad besides the obnoxious badminton cat. I also miss the intense screaming of the samurai when he spins his sword. Did they really had to redub some of these voices when it's just grunting and yelling? He's a samurai!

/likes to complain

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    The real lesson here is that RH games are much better if the console they come out on is DEAD.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    Actually I cannot imagine liking this one's music as much as the DS one, just from what I've seen so far. But then I thought the same thing about Katamari 1 vs. 2 and boy did the second one grow on me.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I would love a crazy Nintendo RPG/ADV game drawn in the RH/Warioware style. I love how they draw people and animals.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • RubycatRubycat Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I couldn't Gold (and so couldn't Perfect Remix 1 on the DS) the robot fills seem impossible or something, because I miss it every time.
    but I have the standalone robot fills golded.. its an enigma really.

the badminton cat sounds louder than the Japanese one

Rubycat on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN: Rubycat3 / NintentdoID: Rubycat
    edited February 2012
    I would love a crazy Nintendo RPG/ADV game drawn in the RH/Warioware style. I love how they draw people and animals.

It really is a distinct style that would avoid the pitfall of being too conventionally anime-esque, like most other JRPG's. Now don't get me wrong, I've certainly gamed my fair share of that style of RPG to not be bothered by all the common visual tropes anymore, but a RPG or RPG "Light" manufactured in this particular style? Man oh man, that'd be something. It'd be kind of like inventing Paper Mario all over again.

EDIT:

Also, the Reporter is smokin'. I'd pick her over any of the other famous RPG chicks any day of the week, baby.

Zephiran on

I liked her better when she was delivering pizza.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Chen wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLLJwDYXFvI

I love this remix. Hope it's as catchy in English. The music enhances the gameplay so much. Building robots was never so funky.

Considering they took out a game for being too Japanese to localize(seriously), I hope this one stays intact.

wVEsyIc.png
    They took it out for the linguistics being too difficult to write equivalent phrases for, not the style. They said as much in Iwata Asks.

If Japanese culture shock was a problem then I wouldn't expect Americans to get luchadores either.

If Japanese culture shock was a problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u6zvbrAl7I

V0Gug2h.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I
    suppose!

wVEsyIc.png
    Chen wrote:
    If Japanese culture shock was a problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u6zvbrAl7I

I, aaaahhh... Uuuuhhhmmm...

What am I watching?

>_>

<_<

*bookmarks*

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Nuts to you, Chen! The cat is great, although I will concede that it doesn't work for that remix. BA BUM BUM BUM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6bCLBlclMk

YL9WnCY.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    God damnit Nintendo! Why do you have to be just that little bit different than everybody else? I thought this came out tomorrow.

It's out right now.

Time to expose myself to the elements and head down to the store.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I'm loving this game. My TV has a very slight lag (even with Game mode it's still a little bit off) but I'm able to work past it.