As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[MISC] Things have been learned: Pre-PAX East Montreal Meetup at Foonzo March 9th!

FrugusFrugus PhotographerMontrealRegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in PAX Archive
Where: Foonzo - 1245 Drummond Street, Montreal, QC H3G 1V8.
When: March 9th at 8 pm
Reservation name: Frugus
Venue is 18+

I've arranged for a meet and greet with people from the area who plan on going to PAX East 2012. I extend the invitation to anyone who is game to make the trip (this goes for you, people of Plattsburgh, Burlington and Ottawa!).

Yes, there are enough of us already to make this worthwhile!

Foonzo is a parlour for Geeks. It’s a bar, a bubble tea house, a board game lounge and video game salon. It will be the perfect place to chat about the upcoming event, swap stories and answer questions to those who never went there. Pics can be found here.

I’ve already made a reservation to my name (Frugus) based on the number of people who showed interested. If you wish to attend, please respond to this post so I can add you as well.

Attending:
Frugus
Kiki_Lou + 1
Chocojosh
KikiItemri
Mathrym
spacemansean

Maybe Attending:
testsubject23
cwood154
LoonyEclipse
PhoenixP3K

Where is it exactly? : Foonzo is located down town near the Bell Center, it can be easily reached via the public transportation system.
Is there food?: Pub entrees like nachos, sandwiches and dumplings mostly, but nothing for an actual meal. All kinds of other drinks can be found (obviously), including but not limited to Bubble Tea. Alcohol is served, thus the place is 18+,

Frugus Eggbeater
ufCl1ui.png
Frugus on

• testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    Depending on how the chips fall, I may be into this. I'd have to drive in from Ottawa, but it ain't that far. It'd mostly be a matter of extricating myself from the wife & kids for an evening. :)

camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Ŷou would be most welcomed!

There are about 5 of us interested already but I did not want to push their names in the thread :)

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • cwood154cwood154 Registered User regular
    If time permits, I would be interested in swinging on by. I feel ashamed that I live in montreal and have never heard of this nerd bar before.

• Kiki_louKiki_lou Registered User regular
    Fiance and I are in for sure! Might be bringing a friend who is coming to PAX with us this year. Will be great to talk about past experiences! BTW, pictures need to be updated...couches have changed!! I went to check it out the other day as a possible D&D haunt, group is trying it out tomorrow night!

Kiki_lou wrote:
    Fiance and I are in for sure! Might be bringing a friend who is coming to PAX with us this year. Will be great to talk about past experiences! BTW, pictures need to be updated...couches have changed!! I went to check it out the other day as a possible D&D haunt, group is trying it out tomorrow night!

Curious to hear what you think. I see they have MTG events and have some kind of deal where you can buy a Bubble Tea that comes with a booster pack. I've heard great things about the place but I'm restraining myself in case I start sounding like I'm intentionally hyping the place up :)

Updated OP.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • spacemanseanspacemansean Registered User regular
    Did it cost you any money to reserve? I think the general etiquette rule is it's free, but in turn you should probably buy something to eat/drink. I've yet to go, but I think it's where the arcade fighter communities like to meet up.

• chocojoshchocojosh Registered User regular
    Just got confirmation that KikiItemri and I will be there. We expect to show up around 9-9:30 PM. BTW, how will we find each other? Can we have a PAX meetup mascot?

I went the other night to try for a D&D night and man was it noisy. May have had to do with the 30 people that reserved a section (we didnt know this ahead of time). Other than that its a great place to hang out! When reserving, it's usually the couch area that is reserved (right away on the left when you walk in - red couches, you can't miss them). it's free to reserve as long as some are consuming (ie: drinks/food...yes they have food). Any they do have bubble tea which one of my players said was good. Great idea about having a flag or something. I'll think about it....Frugus you think too! lol

Good thinking :)

I'll arrive in advance and will be wearing my PAX East shirt so it should be easy to spot me. I may also wear my PAX Community Lanyard / badge of office from last year. It may be overkill but I won't look too much like a clown either (at most I'll look like an HMV employee). That, and there's an actual reservation to the name of Frugus :)

I did not have to put in any money for a reservation, though I do need to have a ball park number 24 hours before the meet. I set up a place for 10 people for now and they know that could change in either direction.

OP updated with Chocojosh and KikiItemri's names :)

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • LoonyEclipseLoonyEclipse WWHRD? Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    Consider me a tentative in for this.

My pin lanyard
    PSN: L00nyEclip
    Steam: Loony Eclipse
    Twitter: @Loonyeclipse

8hQBw4O.png
    Added!
    Consider me a tentative in for this.

Added!

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • StraderStrader Registered User regular
    Id like to come but sadly i work the evening shift so 8 pm dosen't work for me :(

• MathrymMathrym Montreal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'll come!

OP Updated, welcome Mathrym!

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    Asked for the night off so I should be good to go, if you want to take me off of maybe and put me as attending.

• CyantCyant Registered User regular
    I wish I could go but I live 600KM north in Abitibi so I guess we will see in Boston... or not. Gonna be a busy weekend, PAX + Anime Boston. Look for the Cobra Crimson Guards or Herlock/Albator ;)

Asked for the night off so I should be good to go, if you want to take me off of maybe and put me as attending.

Quite the dedication! Looking forward to see you there!
    Cyant wrote:
    I wish I could go but I live 600KM north in Abitibi so I guess we will see in Boston... or not. Gonna be a busy weekend, PAX + Anime Boston. Look for the Cobra Crimson Guards or Herlock/Albator ;)

Too bad, but please feel free to PM me about any questions you may have about the event and I will answer them to the best of my knowledge. I went there twice up to now so I'm not expert, but it's better then 0 too :)

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • CyantCyant Registered User regular
    Oh that's not a problem, me and my friends drove to both previous PAX East too :)

• PhoenixP3KPhoenixP3K CanadaRegistered User regular
    Please put me at maybe attending. I'd love to meet fellow PAX attendees. For my shame I've never been to Foonzo.

Hello everyone!

I got a nice bunch of confirmations for this evening, can't wait to see you!

FYI, some people asked how they would be able to recognize me and I said that I would be wearing my PAX East shirt... I just realized this morning it's in the laundry! So I had to improvise, I'll be wearing this + my PAX East badge from last year.

Anyone had plans for a game of something while we are there?

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    Had a great time tonight!! Looking forward to possibly seeing you all again at PAX!
    Vickie

yeah! hopefully i'll see you guys around PAX. thanks for the words of wisdom, you grizzled veterans.

Thanks for the great evening! I'm very happy to have met you all and it was great to see that I'm not the only person who feels about PAX the same way! And yes, I'm looking at my DS right now !

Here are some links for some of the things we talked about:

PAX East collaborative map. I believe this is from the last PAX East and it has not surfaced on the forums since, so don't expect this to be 100% accurate. Not to say that it won't give you an idea of what to expect :)

The stuff you should know thread. This thread is aimed at new comers and I think the first few posts are a great place to start. The rest of the thread is optional.
    If you still crave more information, the first "Stuff you should know" thread is here, but the above covers everything you need. Last but not least, this thread by Sary is also very interesting to know.

Also, this will point you to a nice blog post about the event

Discussion on the International Food Exchange.

There, I can't think of anything else people wanted, but please PM me if you have any questions!

Again it was really nice seeing you all and I hope we cross paths again!

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    Here's the twitter thread as some were asking which twitters to follow

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/150620/east-a-twittering-song-twitter-at-pax-east-2012/p1

• chocojoshchocojosh Registered User regular
    Very glad to have met all of you! We really did have a great time and we're very much looking forward to the pub crawl, Saturday night concert, and everything else! 25 days left... just three fewer days than that Zombie movie a few years back...

So after we discussed Pokemon for a bit I started playing Black.

I'm at work, now all I can think about is getting more Pokmemon.

PRE-PAX MONTREAL MEETUP GROUP WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?!?

Also, your friend codes would be nice :)

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • MathrymMathrym Montreal, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    OMG! I had posted a super thanks to Frugus for organizing the meeting at Foonzo. I was saying that I appreciated all the cool advices for PAX from everyone :) But I guess I did not submit correctly

And also : PAX of REED EXHIBITIONS sent Francys Sauvageau of Francys Sauvageau 1 FedEx International Ground package(s).

YAY!!

Hope to see you there! I'll probably go to the Pre-Pax game night instead of the crawl. Not much of a drinker haha.

Mathrym on