As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halkun's surgery - Lab tests for my llver came back "funny". [Info pg 6]

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    When they bill your insurance and then you summarily get fucked call the hospital's financial office and they should hook you up with forms to prove your income so that they can write off a certain percent of the facilities cost! Anyway depending on what you are getting done a week should be fine unless you have a manual labor job or something. And sometimes doctors and the anesthesiologists will allow you to make payments/reduce the rates slightly because they know any getting paid > not getting paid at all.

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    If it's outpatient, talk to the nurses about getting a number to call if you have any questions, and make sure they teach you and somebody close to you how to examine and change the dressings. And like I said, make sure that you keep hydrated, stay on top of any dietary restrictions the docs might give you, and let your body work itself out.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    I think my first general anesthetic was when I was 15, maybe 14.
    I had a tooth taken out of my top jaw, I cannot remember left or right. Then it got put in my bottom right. Basically so I didn't need to lose another tooth.
    My mum was freaking about the anesthetic but I was pretty fine.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I had to be put out to have my wisdom teeth taken out

I woke up not being able to shut up

just yap yap ow yap yap ow

other than that, my body is an indestructible fortress fortified by beer, fried foods, and dubious sex

also lotsa jerkin' it

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    I had my tonsils and adenoids out like 5 years ago. Which sucks because it supposedly hurts a hell of a lot more when you're older. I can confirm that it hurt like hell. It felt like I gave a lightsaber a sloppy deep throat BJ.

Also, last Friday I got tripped up walking the dog and fell on the concrete stairs leading up to the front door of my house. Smacked my head off one of the steps, blacked out for most likely a minute or two tops, and had a giant golf ball sized lump above my right eye.

Few hours later I was at an emergency center for a concussion test. I aced that bad boy...which apparently isn't good because I had bruised my brain by cracking my skull off concrete stairs. Yay for dizziness, vomiting, having to be woken up every 2 hours, and feeling like I'm drunk without the joy of drinking which I can't do because I'm head-fucked.

• Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Because its a FAQ, I have an umbilical hernia that decided "You know this abdominal cavity bullshit. Fuck that noise. Outside is where its at!" And then my navel betrayed me.

halkun on
  • Options
    My brother in law's mother went through that last year, she said it was the easiest surgery and recovery she's ever had, so don't sweat it too much. Hell I just had my gallbladder removed and with a desk job I could easily have gone back after two days off much less a week.

• Options
    That's what I'm hoping. I'm a very low mobility desk job.
    Goddamnit I'm hungry!

• Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Hunter wrote:
    I had my tonsils and adenoids out like 5 years ago. Which sucks because it supposedly hurts a hell of a lot more when you're older. I can confirm that it hurt like hell. It felt like I gave a lightsaber a sloppy deep throat BJ.

Also, last Friday I got tripped up walking the dog and fell on the concrete stairs leading up to the front door of my house. Smacked my head off one of the steps, blacked out for most likely a minute or two tops, and had a giant golf ball sized lump above my right eye.

Few hours later I was at an emergency center for a concussion test. I aced that bad boy...which apparently isn't good because I had bruised my brain by cracking my skull off concrete stairs. Yay for dizziness, vomiting, having to be woken up every 2 hours, and feeling like I'm drunk without the joy of drinking which I can't do because I'm head-fucked.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. D:

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Apparently the forum agrees with my assessment.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    my dad had brain surgery for his parkinsons

they cut his head open and put an electrode in his brain and a wire running down through his neck to a battery pack in his chest. you can feel the wire under his skin

he is literally a cyborg

• Options
    dang hunter that is some bullshit

when your brain stops being a little bitch, drink like ten whiskeys in a row then down a box of wine because you stone cold don't give a fuck gimme that adult juice box

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I had surgery for a severed extensor tendon in my right index index finger almost two months ago. I showed up, got into a gown, they did my IV in, anaswhatchmacallit came in and got me high after they hooked me up to a monitor and took my bp. They wheeled me into the operating room, I fell asleep, anx woke up half an hour later and we were all done.

Shit like that does not make md nervous, but it was only a finger.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    When I woke up after my arm was repaired, I couldn't breathe without conscious effort. The nurse kept having to walk by in the post-op room and says "Breathe, dude!" (Seriously, that's what he said.) But I didn't want to breathe, I just wanted to go back to sleep, goddammit.

Of course then a couple hours later I was awake and breathing fine, but then I was puking my guts out and my pee had turned brown. Apparently it's normal to have minor (minor?! WTF???) kidney failure after general anesthesia.

I hate anesthesia.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    Surgery is scary

I never want to have one

• Options
    sheri I am a doctor and you need all the surgeries

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    I remain extremely grateful that the worst thing I experienced coming out of surgery was a bit of itchiness due to a mild reaction to the morphine I was given.

Dealing with the dressings was a bigger pain in the ass.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular

Nope

I'll just die

It's cool

• Options
    Sheri, surgery is only scary until they give you drugs.

Then it's still scary, but fuck it, you know this really great joke that everybody in the OR is going to absolutely lozzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Eye surgery three times and it was crap, I don't recommend it. I've never experienced anything more maddening than my eyes itching and knowing that I couldn't rub them or I'd disturb the stitches.

• Options
    Sheri wrote:

Nope

I'll just die

It's cool

no see if you don't get them you will never be able to die

you will be a puddle of nerve endings sloshing around

knowing only pain

for eternity

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    When I woke up after my arm was repaired, I couldn't breathe without conscious effort. The nurse kept having to walk by in the post-op room and says "Breathe, dude!" (Seriously, that's what he said.) But I didn't want to breathe, I just wanted to go back to sleep, goddammit.

Of course then a couple hours later I was awake and breathing fine, but then I was puking my guts out and my pee had turned brown. Apparently it's normal to have minor (minor?! WTF???) kidney failure after general anesthesia.

I hate anesthesia.

The breathing thing was awesome, I was obstinate and didn't want to go back to sleep in recovery plus I was super nauseous so all told I got fentanyl, dilaudid, phenergan, and zofran which all cause drowsiness so by the time I did finally start feeling tired every time I would nod off my blood oxygen would drop rapidly and they kept waking me up to breathe. But I was really, really high so I didn't especially care! And then I went home and paced around the living room and nibbled doritos, a sound recovery plan.

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    fortunate enough that the only time i went under was for wisdom teeth

come to hours later, insisting i dont need a wheelchair to get to the car

hork up the litre of blood that drained down my throat while they did the procedure

• Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    when I was really little, like 1st grade, I had to get put under to have surgery to correct my lazy eye. I just remember waking up and everything blurry as hell for awhile, all I could see was white shapes and I was so confused I couldn't stop sobbing.

Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Good luck Halkun! You'll be all right

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I've never had surgery or broken a major enough bone to require a cast (I've had to splint my toe and thumb a few times)

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    Umaro wrote:
    when I was really little, like 1st grade, I had to get put under to have surgery to correct my lazy eye. I just remember waking up and everything blurry as hell for awhile, all I could see was white shapes and I was so confused I couldn't stop sobbing.

my dad had this surgery when he was a lad

got home from the hospital to loudly proclaim to his mother how much better he looked

they operated on the wrong eye

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    surgeries suck!

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    oh I did crack my skull when I was like 3

that required stitches and I have a small scar I think

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I had a bunch of operations done when I was in grades 1-3 to get tubes put in my ears, and I got put under to get my wisdom teeth taken out before I went into college

Really, the worst part was puking when I got home due to the nausea from the gas (when I started getting the anesthetic through an IV this stopped)

Also I puked after the wisdom teeth operation because I had swallowed a lot of blood while I was under

You'll be fine, aside from maybe puking if the anesthetic doesn't agree with you

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    UmaroUmaro Registered User regular
    When I got all four of my wisdom teeth removed in boot camp they didn't put me under, just applied some topical numbing and then injected more numbing stuff around each tooth. The first three went fine, could feel the force of them cracking and tugging but no pain. The last one wasn't done as well, hurt like hell until shortly after. So much blood.

Dogs.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Volunteer just came out. Surgery was just pushed to 12:30. they are going to retreave me in an hour for preop. My tablet is at 75% power so its all good.

halkun on
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    When I got my wisdom teeth out I made a thread about it while I was on a lot of painkillers and then the thread got hijacked by the Australians among us

• Options
    Masturbate furiously.

I mean, you have an hour, they're not going to say anything.

[IMG][/img]
  • Options
    Masturbate furiously.

Just imagine how many times you can knock it out in an hour, too

Then you won't have to be scared about poppin wood while you're under

• Options
    Masturbate furiously.

Naa, I got that in last night. I know I'm not going to want to stress the abs for a while.

• Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    Most I did was have my wisdom teeth removed. They were pretty impacted.

Wait, there was also this time where they had to dig into my spine to retrieve some bone marrow to see if I had cancer. That was so much fun, I still remember the sensation to this day. It feels exactly like someone putting an object and scraping materials from your bone. They can't anesthetizeeither.

• Options
    Meiz wrote:
    Most I did was have my wisdom teeth removed. They were pretty impacted.

Wait, there was also this time where they had to dig into my spine to retrieve some bone marrow to see if I had cancer. That was so much fun, I still remember the sensation to this day. It feels exactly like someone putting an object and scraping materials from your bone. They can't anesthetizeeither.

My mom used to have to do that for little kids

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I'm in the bed I have the IV in.I'm super nervous

halkun on
  • Options
    halkun wrote:
    I'm in the bed I have the IV in

Surgery posts
    Welcome to the future