As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Android Games!

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    YggiDee wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Kylindra wrote: »
    (you can remove ads for like a dollar)
    You can also do it with 1mil of in-game gold, which I did last night (given that my team is earning almost a million gold on a single automated level 1-400 run, it seemed pretty worthwhile).

I'm having a hard time figuring out the optimal party composition, though, and - surprisingly - the subreddit for the game doesn't have an outright "here, just use these five heroes with this equipment" guide.

The "Optimal Party" seems to vary based on what you're trying to do (go deeper in the dungeon, get essence, GET CA$H MONEY) and how much progress you've made, and also yesterday's update finally nerfed the most broken early-game strategies (forks) so there may be some scrambling.

The first rule is that any party should have a knight at the end because ambushes and traps are BS, and also you stumble onto healing fountains that way. Also, Assassin Dagger should be your weapon of choice for most characters. It's not difficult to reach near 100% critical hit chance with it, and it gives the highest crit damage multiplier of all the regular weapons (This used to be forks, they had +600% damage, which made every other weapon completely worthless)

"General-Purpose" Adventuring
    My go-to party is Healer, Healer, Thief, DarkMage, Knight, in that order. With the way turn order works you want the healers going first (and you need two to keep up or you will start getting your ass kicked), and the Knight needs to stay in the back because while you need that trap/ambush protection for long runs but also the Knight is not very smart and is prone to wasting their turn on the worthless multitarget skill if too many monsters are still alive by then. The Darkmage is because Darkmages kick ass, and the Thief because +20% itemfind is great, and their relic gives a bonus to crit chance and damage. A Conscript also replaces the Thief rather well because while they have one less trinket slot, they get +50% crit damage and that adds up.

Really the third and fourth slots have a fair bit of leeway. You might be able to get away with one Healer but you have to watch them like a hawk because the Healer also isn't very smart and will never ever use his perfectly viable multiheals.

After you unlock Ragezerkers
    Ragezerker, 3x Thief/Conscript, Knight. On their first turn in every fight, a Ragezerker gives one random party member a buff to their attack. This bonus stacks, and persists until you leave the dungeon. Your damage gradually ramps from "decent" to "Holy Shit" and you basically one-shot everything in some sort of hideous violence escalation until the enemies finally outlevel your damage. You don't need a Healer because if the enemy gets a turn, you aren't killing hard enough.

Then you get the Darkmage Relic
    Four Darkmages, one Knight. The Darkmage relic gives them Necroblast, an ungodly powerful single-target attack spell. Basically four Darkmages will completely melt whatever you're fighting. Also, Necroblast derives from the Darkmage's attack and MP and Magic Damage% so relics honk it up way faster than most other skills. Can you stick a Ragezerker in front of this team? Maybe????

Anyway to be clear I generally stick to the first team because I don't know how absurdly high my stats have to get before the other two are viable.

Thanks for all of this! It was very helpful. I actually had the funds to unlock Ragezerkers, but hadn't done it yet. I tried it last night, and it certainly made a difference. Then I remembered that I was still on Dimension 2, and that it would probably be more sensible to just move up a few dimensions to get some new relics. Fortunately, I had amassed enough money in D2 that the essence I bought with it let me max out the +crit relic immediately upon moving into D3. I'm going at D4 now. I read that lots of people would grind gold in D4 and not move on because a boss in D5 had to be killed with healing, and Healers wouldn't do it automatically, so you couldn't AFK-grind past a certain point. Is that still the case? I thought I saw somewhere that the recent patch changed this.

Also: I'm enjoying this game, but I'm not enjoying how having the screen on all the time is draining my phone battery and making the phone (Nexus 6P) get quite warm.

• YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    You still need healers to beat the level 500 boss, until you hit D11. Then you can trash her the same way as any other boss. However, the 700 boss has a weird gimmick as well, and this one isn't disabled (and may or may not be in the future?)
    This boss will give you one free round, and then instantly KO anyone who isn't a Fighter. You have to kill him with Fighters! Do you know the last time I used a Fighter?
    If you're really crazy you can (apparently) kill him in the single free round before he attacks. I am not yet that crazy
    Right now I'm running Ragezerker/3 Merchants/Knight and they can get from 1-700 without any trouble.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Do Ragezerkers upgrade at one point to buff and attack in the same round? Because for me they spend their first round casting which causes a lot of hits taken. I'm on D8, and run T/T/T/H/K because of the crit bonuses and loot bonuses on the thieves. Also because they have no castable abilities they don't waste time, they'll always melee.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    Ragezerkers don't get an upgrade, I won't use one unless my team can one-shot whatever I'm fighting already.

• Aktn BstrdAktn Bstrd Registered User regular
    Well, I just wanted to let everyone know that you guys are jerks. Now I am totally hooked on Soda Dungeon. What a dumb awesome addictive game. Its perfect for screwing around with while I work. I spend most of my time on the phone so I can start a dungeon and then pay attention to the call.

• LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    KOTOR is currently free on Amazon Underground.

Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I now have Neko Atsume on both my phone and tablet. It is a delight. More a toy than a game, I suppose, but I still like it.

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    So, Fallout Shelter. I've gotten 80-something guns and I don't remember how many costumes, and over 2 or 3 weeks of having 10-20 guys w/15 Luck in the wasteland nothing new's popped up other than a Thanksgiving-themed costume. Is everything else locked behind lunchboxes? If so I guess I'm done.

On a side note, between this and Star Wars: Uprising I feel like it's a thing for mobile developers not to play their own games. Otherwise I just don't understand how Fallout Shelter doesn't highlight people finished with training or have a "sell all commons" button for wasteland returnees despite people asking for it for months, or how Uprising doesn't highlight items/crew that you have the materials to upgrade. A lot more play time than necessary is forcibly spent on tedious crap.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    So, Fallout Shelter. I've gotten 80-something guns and I don't remember how many costumes, and over 2 or 3 weeks of having 10-20 guys w/15 Luck in the wasteland nothing new's popped up other than a Thanksgiving-themed costume. Is everything else locked behind lunchboxes? If so I guess I'm done.

On a side note, between this and Star Wars: Uprising I feel like it's a thing for mobile developers not to play their own games. Otherwise I just don't understand how Fallout Shelter doesn't highlight people finished with training or have a "sell all commons" button for wasteland returnees despite people asking for it for months, or how Uprising doesn't highlight items/crew that you have the materials to upgrade. A lot more play time than necessary is forcibly spent on tedious crap.

Did Uprising ever develop a plot, or is it just shoot guys and droids "to beat the Empire" the whole time?

• KylindraKylindra Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »

I've heard that while Luck increases the number of drops you get, it's actually Perception that increases the rarity. You may be doing this already, I don't know, but if not maybe try that?

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Been playing a bunch of Mabinogi Duel. It's pretty good.

It's a TCG thing, but pretty well done. Sort of like Solforge but faster, which works better for the mobile device. The campaign is really just a slow tutorial, so if you try the game, don't judge it based on the first chapter of the campaign. Wait till you get into deck building and tournaments and stuff.

What is this I don't even.
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    My friend keeps trying to get me to play that, but if I'm gonna play a mobile CCG, it's hard for me to want to play anything besides Hearthstone.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Hearthstone is better, but Mabingo is shorter games, so better for bathroom breaks or whatever.

What is this I don't even.
    Finally made it to Warriors Dimension on Soda Dungeon. Why can't I stop playing it? I don't understand. Help!

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I actually found that as soon as I got there, my motivation to play (aka let the phone play itself) kind of vanished. With no goal of higher dimensions to get to, I feel like all I have left is an infinite climb, which doesn't really excite me.

However, I haven't yet tried to look into the kind of items that are available at higher levels. The highest dungeon level I've gotten to so far has been in the neighborhood of 1500, and the items I was seeing were basically "stuff you've already seen +1". If any new items get introduced either at higher dungeon levels or at higher +item find ratings than I am now, then that might get me back to pushing through, just to check them out.

Just did a quick search online, and it looks like I've already seen every item variant. Ah well, I enjoyed it while it lasted.

Aktn Bstrd wrote: »
    Finally made it to Warriors Dimension on Soda Dungeon. Why can't I stop playing it? I don't understand. Help!

I finally quit when I left it on too long and the heat crashed my phone...so you could try that. :P

Aktn Bstrd wrote: »

I finally quit when I left it on too long and the heat crashed my phone...so you could try that. :P

Lol, I am pretty sure that I have gotten close to that point already. I didn't know my phone would get that hot on its own. Although, now that I am in warrior dimension, my urge to play has dropped a lot.

I need a new game. I got KOTOR, and its awesome, but I want something a little less involved.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    So I started playing Soda Dungeon because I hate myself. One thing that I should NOT have done was get the Warrior Relic upgrade that gives them Piledrive or whatever. It basically doubled the amount of time it took to run from 1-200 since they piledrive every single god damn thing even if a normal hit kills it.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So, not really a game but.. anyone know what happened to Google Sky? I've been trying to find it, but it up and disappeared sometime in the past year or two.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I think that's the one. Google spun it out around the time I still had an Android device a couple years back.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    FYI minecraft story mode is 9910¢ on the play store

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    You sure? On my store page it says 10 cents.

Ah, I see. You buy the other episodes from within the app.

ContentContext on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    oh yea, 10 cents.

camo_sig.png
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Wooo!

Pocket Mortys, coming Jan 14th! Pokemon but 100's of different Mortys. WOO!

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    Just got Pocket Mortys , seems pretty fun so far

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Reviews are not terribly kind. Still curious

steam_sig.png
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Just found out they've made PuzzleCraft 2, and its out. It's good. Exactly what I wanted. More of the original. Probably my favorite version of match games

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    Just found out they've made PuzzleCraft 2, and its out. It's good. Exactly what I wanted. More of the original. Probably my favorite version of match games

Oh no... Oh no no no... You shouldn't have said that.

Does it still involve needing to tap on really tiny areas on the map to collect stuff, and sometimes those areas aren't quite where they seem to be and you click on the wrong one that does something you don't really want to do and you get really annoyed with it after awhile and eventually ragequit?

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Iron Maiden is going to put out a free to play mobile RPG this summer.

No matter what, I'll check this out just for Iron Maiden.
    BE PART OF THE LEGACY

Introducing IRON MAIDEN: LEGACY OF THE BEAST.
    An epic free-to-play mobile role playing game,
    set in the expansive Iron Maiden universe.

COMING SUMMER 2016
    Battle as Eddie in his many guises across worlds inspired by the rich lore and music of Iron Maiden - one of the most iconic and influential bands of all time.

A mysterious force has shattered Eddie’s soul and scattered the shards. Travel through time and space collecting the pieces as you encounter a cast of dramatic and engaging characters.

A powerful soundtrack enhances gameplay, using songs spanning Iron Maiden’s entire career, including previously unheard live recordings adapted for the game by engineer Tony Newton under the close scrutiny of Steve Harris.

http://ironmaidenlegacy.com/

EH28YFo.jpg
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Run to the app store.
    Run for your life.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular

Does it still involve needing to tap on really tiny areas on the map to collect stuff, and sometimes those areas aren't quite where they seem to be and you click on the wrong one that does something you don't really want to do and you get really annoyed with it after awhile and eventually ragequit?

It's even worse than that. They have some serious issues with their saves/Cloud syncs. At first I was just getting progress rolled back. The last straw as losing all my villages and all my buildings but my level, runes, gold, and workers were still what they were. And they have the gall to charge people for IAP when there's this very real risk that it might go poof because of the bugs in the game.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Does anyone still play Marvel Puzzle Quest on Android, and has room in their alliance?

I don't suppose it's not too late to say to run, run away as far and as fast as you can?

steam_sig.png
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So Humble Bundle has a mobile bundle again.

Namco-Bandai games.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • ContentContextContentContext Registered User regular
    Someone on the Spacechem subreddit made a post about The Sequence. Picked it up for a buck and have been having a really good time with it. It's not as open-ended as Spacechem, but it has a similar feel, since you're placing specified nodes and setting the order of operations. 20 or so levels in and the difficulty has ramped up quite a bit. Highly recommended.

• Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    I am REALLY digging Clash Royale. F2P model doesn't seem too awful either, at least so far. Definitely at least worth taking a look at.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Been looking at getting myself a little tablet so I can game decently, since my phone can't really deal with some of these games very well. Looking at a Shield tablet, since it seems to have decent specs for a reasonable price.

Just kinda worried about the fact that said tablet would do most of its gamig not connected to the internet, seeing how games like Terra Battle kept insisting me to log in into places and stuff. How common is absolutely necessitating (or making it a huge pain to not be) that you be online for games, generally?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    All the gacha games absolutely rely on it. Like Terra Battle or FF Record Keeper, or Star Wars Heroes.

Many of the more casual games (Threes, Alphabear etcet.) and the Square-Enix library, or stuff like the Kairosoft games, do just fine offline.

I will say that in my opinion Android gaming is mostly on the "distraction" level. I feel like there's not a lot innovation and interesting things to play.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited March 2016
    Android gaming is is a far better place than it was five years ago, but it's still a few ticks less than wonderful. I've found myself leaning more on my iPhone and 3DS for mobile entertainment; my Nexus 7 is all but dead, and I don't think I'll be replacing it with another Android tablet. When there's a new mobile release I really want to play (see Baldur's Gate: EE, Hearthstone, Desktop Dungons, Vainglory), it's inevitably exclusively on iOS for months (or a year and a half) before the developers finish the Android port, if they even make an Android port (see Dungeon of the Endless, Juck Jack X, FTL: Faster than Light).

E: not that I'm thrilled about iOS gaming either, you understand. Every new iOS version randomly breaks some game. :-/

Frem on