As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Android Games!

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    The moral is that I'm still playing Gems of War and it's the best android mobile game. It has no energy bars, is possible to play without paying (but I throw them a few quid every so often) and has some strategic depth (particularly with the recent update that encourages constantly changing teams)

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I don't think it being gacha or energy based really has anything to do with that problem.

Were it a one time purchase that they just updated regularly and still had upgrading and such you'd slot it into your day just as much.

Really sounds more like a problem with how you play these games and less a problem of the game itself.

Then again I've never obsessively picked them up to spend every point of energy and generally just toss a few bucks at them here or there to smooth things over. Because in the end an hour or two of my time is literally worth $30+ so if I spend $20 on occasion I'm still coming out on top.

I think he's saying that those kinds of games are rather pointless to play.

They're always moving the goal posts, so "victory" is never truly attainable. There's very little point to playing, since there's no real skill to develope or hone, and you can never truly win without spending $Texas.

That's kind of how I look at those games, anyway.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »
    That's not the real cost. The real cost of these games is the time and energy involved, slotting playtime into your daily routine, etc. Even if I don't spend a penny on the game I can't really afford to play another gatcha / energy based game.

God this is true too. My buddy just recently got me into this DBZ game this is basically a gacha. FFBE and this game means I have 0 time to do anything else.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    That's not the real cost. The real cost of these games is the time and energy involved, slotting playtime into your daily routine, etc. Even if I don't spend a penny on the game I can't really afford to play another gatcha / energy based game.

I'm trying to take these back out of my life. There's been an addictive/compulsive thing lately where I HAVE to spend 30 minutes every morning playing star wars heroes. I don't even think I'm taking standard enjoyment/satisfaction out of it, it's just become a compulsion.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I'm trying to take these back out of my life. There's been an addictive/compulsive thing lately where I HAVE to spend 30 minutes every morning playing star wars heroes. I don't even think I'm taking standard enjoyment/satisfaction out of it, it's just become a compulsion.

This is why I had to quit FFRK. I wasn't even having fun with it any more... Just going through the motions. I'll do the same with FFBE and I'll do the same with this game.

• Options
    Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »

This is why I had to quit FFRK. I wasn't even having fun with it any more... Just going through the motions. I'll do the same with FFBE and I'll do the same with this game.

I'm probably the only person but I've been doing a similar thing with Pokemon Go on my daily bus ride. And it's dumb because I have way better or more fun things to do, but for the first 10 minutes of my ride, I'm trying to grab pokestops so that I have enough pokeballs, you know, just in case. I don't really want to uninstall it either because looking at my pokemon collection is basically one of the things my kids like to do and I can distract them for a little bit with it.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • Options
    urahonky wrote: »

I'm probably the only person but I've been doing a similar thing with Pokemon Go on my daily bus ride. And it's dumb because I have way better or more fun things to do, but for the first 10 minutes of my ride, I'm trying to grab pokestops so that I have enough pokeballs, you know, just in case. I don't really want to uninstall it either because looking at my pokemon collection is basically one of the things my kids like to do and I can distract them for a little bit with it.

Right there with you on the kids front. My daughter loves to swipe through the Pokedex and ask me each of their names.

• Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    Freemium gaming is kind of a mixed bag for me, especially in the mobile market. I try not to get too attached to most of the games, but when I end up starting one I play it pretty hardcore. But the novelty usually wears off especially since a lot of these games have no real skill or strategy to them. At that point I'll just uninstall or just login daily to pull every so often.

After a few years of this I'd say the only mobile game I've played that actually demands you play and plan well is Marvel Future Fight(maybe a liiittle bit BlazBlue). Which is the one I've played the longest by a large margin. But even that game is mostly autoplay and only requires good play in the newest/hardest mode.

Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I think that there is absolutely a problem in that they are often designed to exploit people with poor impulse control in the same way gambling is

At the same time, I personally have fun with some of them and manage my expenditures so on a personal level I have difficulty finding fault with them

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I like the collectible nature of gachas, so I don't have a problem with them as a concept, outside of balance/pricing issues/how often you can actually pull if you have no money you want to spend.

But the energy design can be a problem for me, depending on how it's setup. FFRK and Mobius were both problems in that regard because there was too much energy. In Mobius I could literally not deplete my energy pots faster than I accumulated them, which makes me want to keep playing, which turns into a grind, which is just like, whoa, no, stop I'm getting burned out on this. Brave Exvius, meanwhile, I can run the current event or Trial half a dozen times and be done with my energy for the good portion of my day. Same thing with PAD.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    I like gacha systems because they're fun. But if I'm being honest, they're fun the same way slot machines are fun. And because I have impulse control it doesn't harm me too much, but I'm certain it's harmful to other people. So overall I think it's a net negative system.

I'm playing the star wars tower defense/clash game still. On the one hand, I like that it doesn't demand I play too often. It encourages me not to play more than a few times a day. The downside of that, though, is it only ALLOWS me to play a few times a day, and it heavily punishes me if I DON'T play at my assigned play times. If I don't win four matches a day, interspaced at a reasonable rate, I don't see progress. I can't, for example, play a whole bunch every three days. This instills more compulsive behavior in the player, and I suspect it's psychologically tied to priming me to participate in the slots/gacha system as a result.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    The only freemium gacha game I still play is still Love Live School Idol Festival. Because, at it's core it's still just a competitive rhythm game.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    The only freemium gacha game I still play is still Love Live School Idol Festival. Because, at it's core it's still just a competitive rhythm game.

I've been getting my daily cards and idolizing for like 2 years now but I never play it.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    I'm still angry at Card Wars being a freemium app that you had to pay money for. Kind of missing the point of the free in freemium.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    I like gacha systems because they're fun. But if I'm being honest, they're fun the same way slot machines are fun. And because I have impulse control it doesn't harm me too much, but I'm certain it's harmful to other people. So overall I think it's a net negative system.

I'm playing the star wars tower defense/clash game still. On the one hand, I like that it doesn't demand I play too often. It encourages me not to play more than a few times a day. The downside of that, though, is it only ALLOWS me to play a few times a day, and it heavily punishes me if I DON'T play at my assigned play times. If I don't win four matches a day, interspaced at a reasonable rate, I don't see progress. I can't, for example, play a whole bunch every three days. This instills more compulsive behavior in the player, and I suspect it's psychologically tied to priming me to participate in the slots/gacha system as a result.

To be fair, the only progression it is gating is the Play packs. You can play as much as you want and progress through missions, tiers, etc. I get that play packs are the biggest way to upgrade cards for the F2P player, but it's still pretty generous compared to almost every other game I can think of, especially with these missions that provide legendaries and card selectors.

As an aside, I'm getting a lot better at playing the Empire. It's quite a bit harder than playing Rebels, as it requires a much more reactive playstyle, but it's fun when you get to smash a suicide Luke who just assumed his victory.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Speaking of gacha games, the sword art online one launched yesterday.

Low rates! No energy system! Tons of upgrading! Action combat with dodge/parry/switch and skills.

Multiplayer of some sort, I guess? I dunno.

So far it seems aggressively okay. Least the combat itself is fun enough.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I haven't actually tried it but Pokemon Duel launched yesterday too.
    Pokémon Duel is a strategy board game that uses Pokémon figures. Build a deck with your favorite figures and then leap into a League Match! Compete with players from around the world for a chance to enter the top League rankings in League Matches. You'll fight your rivals in real time! Win duels, get all kinds of cool figures and items, and make your deck stronger!

I had to download it because my kids are firmly entrenched in a Pokemon phase right now.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Speaking of gacha games, the sword art online one launched yesterday.

Low rates! No energy system! Tons of upgrading! Action combat with dodge/parry/switch and skills.

Multiplayer of some sort, I guess? I dunno.

So far it seems aggressively okay. Least the combat itself is fun enough.

Do you have a link? I can't find it on Google Play.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    It's probably this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bandainamcoent.saomdna

Oddly, the search function in the play store is actually pretty garbage. I remember looking for Leap of Fate using the exact title and it was like the 30th option. I was convinced it wasn't there at all because it I didn't see it anywhere near the top.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    It's probably this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bandainamcoent.saomdna

Oddly, the search function in the play store is actually pretty garbage. I remember looking for Leap of Fate using the exact title and it was like the 30th option. I was convinced it wasn't there at all because it I didn't see it anywhere near the top.

Yeah I think it's auto-sorted by popularity before exact name.

• Options
    I guess that would explain why brand new games might show up way down the list. Leap of Fate shows up as the first option when I search now.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Cool, just got a Pixel and I'm excited to give Sword Art Online a spin. The only other games I've had the chance to really play are Puzzles & Dragons, Marvel Future Fight, Contest of Champions, FF Record Keeper and FF Brave Exvius.

• Options
    Did you get the daydream headset thingy too? I'm curious about that and if it's any good. All I've ever used so far is Cardboard

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Did you get the daydream headset thingy too? I'm curious about that and if it's any good. All I've ever used so far is Cardboard

Not yet, didn't even know it was a thing until yesterday. Phone is pretty snappy/responsive and combined with an OtterBox defender case I think I could give someone a concussion if I threw it at their head and the phone wouldn't be any worse for wear.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Pokémon Duel is a strategy board game.....Build a deck with your favorite figures.....make your deck stronger!

So is it a strategy game or a board game? Or is it trying to be Duelyst?

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Pokémon Duel is a strategy board game.....Build a deck with your favorite figures.....make your deck stronger!

So is it a strategy game or a board game? Or is it trying to be Duelyst?

It's based on the Trading Figure Game they released like 10 years ago or so. It failed in the real world for reasons it will probably succeed in the digital world. It's a strategic game with haevy chance elements that plays out on a board-game-like mat. Nothing like Duelyst, imo.

• Options
    edited January 2017
    So far the strategy seems like it might have potential, but I haven't gotten enough games to really tell. The random spinning plus not having a tuned deck makes it a little tough to tell. It's either like checkers, and therefore way too simple once you understand the strategy, or a dumbed down go that might actually be good? So far I really can't tell. It's not Duelyst because you know exactly what pieces everyone has and there's no drawing/randomization of what's available, the decisions are just what's being played where and when.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Then why is it called a deck, if you can see what they have? Is it because the monsters and/or abilities "live" on cards?

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Then why is it called a deck, if you can see what they have? Is it because the monsters and/or abilities "live" on cards?

nope

They are purely just figures

I think its a called a deck because its a self-defined set of collectible stuff you bring to a battle. "Deck" seems to be the common term for that regardless of if its cards or not.

• Options
    Yeah. I think it's called that because the board game was made as something people might naturally buy into as a result of being into the pokemon CCG and it just stuck because there ARE cards and collectible things.

But you bring six minis and six cards and you lay them all face up in front of you. You have access to all of them at all times (unless one has been knocked out in combat.)

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Is it real time multiplayer?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    It is

Both players have a 4min chess clock. If you run out of time, you lose.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    So far I'm winning a bunch because other people don't really get the rules yet, I think. Some pieces having movement 2 and some 3 really throws things for a loop.

It's a game that favors defensive play, but if you only turtle you're not going to get far. So you play defensively but exploit any failure to defend properly by the opponent so that you can force them into a cycle of having to respond to your aggressive moves, rather than being able to pursue their planned moves.

I've got a Flareon piece that I really like for opening aggressively in the middle. The middle is much more vulnerable for being double blocked on each side and removed, but it gives you a good spot to threaten the victory target. So I'll usually open with a Flareon to the middle, my opponent will defend one spawn, I'll defend one spawn, then if my opponent makes another defensive placement on the other side of the board I can force them to shift to defending the center with my flareon. If they do that, I'll move a defensive piece toward whichever side they left unprotected in an attempt to cut off one of their spawns. I'm curious what it'll look like as people can synergize decks better.

• Options
    So far I'm winning a bunch because other people don't really get the rules yet, I think. Some pieces having movement 2 and some 3 really throws things for a loop.

It's a game that favors defensive play, but if you only turtle you're not going to get far. So you play defensively but exploit any failure to defend properly by the opponent so that you can force them into a cycle of having to respond to your aggressive moves, rather than being able to pursue their planned moves.

I've got a Flareon piece that I really like for opening aggressively in the middle. The middle is much more vulnerable for being double blocked on each side and removed, but it gives you a good spot to threaten the victory target. So I'll usually open with a Flareon to the middle, my opponent will defend one spawn, I'll defend one spawn, then if my opponent makes another defensive placement on the other side of the board I can force them to shift to defending the center with my flareon. If they do that, I'll move a defensive piece toward whichever side they left unprotected in an attempt to cut off one of their spawns. I'm curious what it'll look like as people can synergize decks better.

You might also be (probably are) playing AI

If the matchmaking takes a while then you'll be matched with AI (there are English and Japanese names for AI) and the AI is really really bad. Like leaving you open to grab their home almost every time.

• Options
    This is sounding less and less like something I'm going to want to show my 5 and 3 year olds. Mostly because they will probably try to get me to show them how to play or play for them or something. How is the interaction with other players? Kind of like hearthstone with canned responses?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited January 2017
    This is sounding less and less like something I'm going to want to show my 5 and 3 year olds. Mostly because they will probably try to get me to show them how to play or play for them or something. How is the interaction with other players? Kind of like hearthstone with canned responses?

I don't think there is literally any interaction with other players. I haven't seen any way to emote at players.

There is a also a pretty heavy questline (I'm like 20 missions in and haven't even really made a dent in it yet) that is against AI and rewards figures, so if you don't want your 3 and 5 year olds playing against people, just point them at the quest missions.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    edited January 2017
    I completely overlooked the missions until about an hour ago. They were sort of hard to find, not being where the other two "play" buttons are.

Edit: The game runs like a drunken goat. Reddit says it's just the servers getting hammered, but man it's terrible atm.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I'm still angry at Card Wars being a freemium app that you had to pay money for. Kind of missing the point of the free in freemium.
    They made a sequel called card wars kingdom that is actually free.

• Options
    Bedlam wrote: »
    They made a sequel called card wars kingdom that is actually free.

"free" in that in order to get any semblence of a good deck you pretty much have to spend money

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    So, Sword Art Online. I've spent the last hour or so slowly re-rolling, because I have to, its just a thing. Its actually pretty fun, even just doing the tutorial through the first mission over and over again.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain