As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect: Stabby Memorial Thread

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Melding wrote:
    what if, they were: batarians.

a1jvvc.jpg

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    now i double hate them.

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    -Tal wrote:
    I wouldn't call the hatred "irrational"

being that apparently every single batarian in the galaxy is a slaver or a murderer or a terrorist

and when they were introduced they were literally called "The Vile Batarians"

The vast majority of batarians are restricted to their own space.

After the conflict with the humans went badly for them, and the citadel refused to support their desire to boot the humans out of territory they wanted all for themselves, they gave the council the finger and withdrew their people to their own corner of the galaxy.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    wait why does the council want to get rid of our slavery? are they racist or something?

PNk1Ml4.png
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    My future bandmate and website PIC, Sara (aka Gem) recorded a new song tonight, called Tears of a Turian Saint.

I was linked to a Google doc about Mass Effect: Deception today. I don't read the novels, but the whole situation had me and my good friend (and future bandmate!) @JordynNolz in a fit of lulz for a good 20 minutes tonight.

During which time we composed this song. We like to think of it as an ill-conceived love song from the author of Deception to some Mass Effect fan. Enjoy.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    That is way too pretty a song to be a proper parody

EDIT: Not to say it's not awesome, just... It's so soothing!

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Jordyn wrote:
    My future bandmate and website PIC, Sara (aka Gem) recorded a new song tonight, called Tears of a Turian Saint.

I was linked to a Google doc about Mass Effect: Deception today. I don't read the novels, but the whole situation had me and my good friend (and future bandmate!) @JordynNolz in a fit of lulz for a good 20 minutes tonight.

During which time we composed this song. We like to think of it as an ill-conceived love song from the author of Deception to some Mass Effect fan. Enjoy.

That's pretty fantastic

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    are all of those references from the novel?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • takyristakyris Registered User regular
    Doesn't that idiot know that to properly burn a book, you light the fucker in the middle and let it burn all through the pages before spreading to the glossy outer cover? What the hell kind of idiot is this?

I may have to make a complaint to the batarian embassy.

• chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    takyris wrote:
    Doesn't that idiot know that to properly burn a book, you light the fucker in the middle and let it burn all through the pages before spreading to the glossy outer cover? What the hell kind of idiot is this?

I may have to make a complaint to the batarian embassy.

How would you burn the Book of Sand, then? Because if I, hypothetically, had a copy, I might, hypothetically, have a bet about that.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    Melding wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    batarian companion for ME4

no, Staring in ME4.

Since it won't be shepard.

like EA would allow a non-human starring character

even if you get to pick your race a human will be on the box front and center
    This isn't just an EA thing!

It is hard to sell anything that doesn't star a human as the main character. A lot of people have a hard time relating to characters that aren't human or at least very human looking. Same reason you would never see an Elsweyr/Black Marsh Elder Scrolls game.

morrowind

• Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote:
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    Melding wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:

no, Staring in ME4.

It is hard to sell anything that doesn't star a human as the main character. A lot of people have a hard time relating to characters that aren't human or at least very human looking. Same reason you would never see an Elsweyr/Black Marsh Elder Scrolls game.

morrowind

Elves are basically humans

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote:
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    Melding wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:

no, Staring in ME4.

morrowind

nah.

seriously though what is the deal with that hoodie

the regular N7 is so classy and then they make that

PNk1Ml4.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote:
    Shorty wrote:
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    Melding wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:

no, Staring in ME4.

morrowind

nah.
    darkelf_Morrowind2.jpg
    yah.

CYpGAPn.png
    the empathy barrier in Morrowind is not so much the elves as it is everyone being lifeless

PNk1Ml4.png
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Big difference in that comparison is that Bethesda is not EA

• Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    You know what's more old than batarians being nothing but dudes for everyone to hate?

EA being a company for everyone to hate

at least give that honor to a company that still more or less deserves it, like Activision.

EA still has customer services issues and is still a business in the business of keeping afloat, but they're not the company they used to be anymore.

• tayvaantayvaan I always like to savor the last shot before popping the heat sinkRegistered User regular
    You know what's more old than batarians being nothing but dudes for everyone to hate?

at least give that honor to a company that still more or less deserves it, like Activision.

EA still has customer services issues and is still a business in the business of keeping afloat, but they're not the company they used to be anymore.

It is hard for me to forgive EA for destroying command and conquer.

Generally though they aren't that bad, particularly compared to activision.

• TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012

of course they're not

they fired all their QA guys and outsourced it to the lowest bidder

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    tayvaan wrote:

Command and Conquer Generals 2.

But yeah, EA isn't that bad of a company nowadays at all.

They have funded Dead Space, Syndicate, Mirror's Edge, Kingdoms of Amalur and Rock Band. On top of Bioware's ventures and longtime stand-bys like Battlefield.

The only negative things I can recently think of are the rebranding of that C&C studio to Bioware and the rushing of Dragon Age II.

CYpGAPn.png
  • tayvaantayvaan I always like to savor the last shot before popping the heat sinkRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    tayvaan wrote:

Command and Conquer Generals 2.

But yeah, EA isn't that bad of a company nowadays at all.

They have funded Dead Space, Syndicate, Mirror's Edge, Kingdoms of Amalur and Rock Band. On top of Bioware's ventures and longtime stand-bys like Battlefield.

The only negative things I can recently think of are the rebranding of that C&C studio to Bioware and the rushing of Dragon Age II.

Generals is cool and all but the tiberium games were my favorite and C&C4 took a massive dump over that whole franchise.

Tossrock wrote:

of course they're not

In what, 2009? And it doesn't even look like it was all their QA guys, unless I'm looking at the wrong news reports. Mostly just Redwood and Mythic stuff. And yeah, it still really sucks, but you've still got stuff like the Partners project ensuring new, and in many cases risky, games are getting out there with the developers retaining the IP. That's a really good thing! But nah, let's ignore any good things a company does and soley focus on the bad.

The Bioware thing I can definitely agree with, but that just seems more like a stupid business move that's sure to backfire if mishandled any further rather than anything malicious.

Apparently no one fact-checked the new Mass Effect book. Here's a massive document detailing every canonical error.

• Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Thetheroo wrote: »
    Apparently no one fact-checked the new Mass Effect book. Here's a massive document detailing every canonical error.

yeah this was big thing near the end of the last thread, but I still need to read the rest of the list anyway

jnij103vqi2i.png
    edited February 2012
    I'm genuinely curious if there has ever been a novel tie-in for a game which isn't littered with continuity errors

though some of these, like the citadel not being star shaped, seem needlessly picky

Cilla Black on
    oh wait, that's slightly different list? huh.

well, I got nothing I'm doing for the next while

jnij103vqi2i.png
    Some of those errors are nitpicky

Some of them are so blatant it's pretty obvious the author had only a vague knowledge of the games.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I'm genuinely curious if there has ever been a novel tie-in for a game which isn't littered with continuity errors

though some of these, like the citadel not being star shaped, seem needlessly picky

The list that Thetheroo linked classifies the errors by significance

some of those mistakes are irreconcilable

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    seriously, why were any of these books made

and, good lord, I hope they don't have a bearing on the video game's story

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    Tossrock wrote:

of course they're not

In what, 2009? And it doesn't even look like it was all their QA guys, unless I'm looking at the wrong news reports. Mostly just Redwood and Mythic stuff. And yeah, it still really sucks, but you've still got stuff like the Partners project ensuring new, and in many cases risky, games are getting out there with the developers retaining the IP. That's a really good thing! But nah, let's ignore any good things a company does and soley focus on the bad.

The Bioware thing I can definitely agree with, but that just seems more like a stupid business move that's sure to backfire if mishandled any further rather than anything malicious.

yeah in 2009

I had a several friends lose their jobs

EA is, and always shall be, a shitty company

they've been trying to improve their image since someone up the chain realized it was literally costing them money, but that doesn't make them any less of a shit company

which isn't to say Activision isn't also a shit company and indeed probably worse

sig.png
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I've played games almost my entire life. I was in the 3rd grade in West Germany when the NES came out. And something I've never done, because of how useless and dumb it is; is get angry at a development studio or publisher.

um clearly you haven't seen my online petition with 572 signatures

sig.png
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Thetheroo wrote:

If you were to scroll slightly up the page, you would see a song my friend and I wrote about this.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
    Question about the digital deluxe edition that's going for $80 on the origin store
    Exclusive 4x6 Lithographic print.

Is that supposed to still be a physical thing they ship to you? Or do you just get a worthless .jpg and get told to go to a print shop?

• PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote:
    Question about the digital deluxe edition that's going for $80 on the origin store
    Exclusive 4x6 Lithographic print.

Is that supposed to still be a physical thing they ship to you? Or do you just get a worthless .jpg and get told to go to a print shop?

The latter.

jkZziGc.png
    Welp. Since I have prime, looks like I can order it on Amazon, get both physical and digital stuff, and free release date delivery.

And that's the last time I blow almost a hundo on a game.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote:
    wait why does the council want to get rid of our slavery? are they racist or something?

The Batarians actually think this. No wonder everyone hates them.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Karl wrote:
    -Tal wrote:

The Batarians actually think this. No wonder everyone hates them.

wait why does the council want to ban the institution of marriage? Are they racist or something?

Of course they 'actually' think that. It's part of their 'cultural heritage' and when have you ever known people to get over other people not liking stupid parts of their culture easily?

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
This discussion has been closed.