300 Movie thread (Also we talk about our hate for Keith)

12346»

Posts

  • matthias00matthias00 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cheeto wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Cheeto wrote: »
    Bloods End wrote: »
    What I don't get is why he complains about a character being different then the comic, then he goes and says that they should change the ending of the movie, which was the ending in the comic.

    Well because the ending sucked in the comic and the movie.

    But... but thats how it actually happened.

    I think he's referring to showing the big badass army at the end instead of just ending with leonidas dying.

    Which is stupid because that was one of the most awesome moments of the movie.


    So awesome.

    Yeah, the story would have been incomplete without the last bit.

    If leonidas just died, there would be no real conclusion. I suppose the narrator could have just said "oh, but then more greeks came and kicked their asses" but that is so weak. I don't think it could have ended better.

    Showing that huge CG army was so lame it's laughable. The story was supposed to be about their sacrifice it should have ended with that ultimate sacrifice not with the happy ending that was just basically, "a year later we got some more guys and then we all yelled and went to war and won, now leave the theater smiling because we copped out the ending for ya"

    Who says the story was "supposed" to be about their sacrifice? Did you never realize that the entire story was narrated by the messenger guy, relating the story to the soldiers at the battle of plataea to rally them? You can't just decide that the story is about something completely different when the comic, movie, and the real historical outcome of the persian war are saying you're wrong.

    The story ends with a "happy" ending because that's what happened. Leonidas' sacrifice is still the focus of the movie, but instead of saying "well that was pointless of him" we now know that it inspired the rest of Greece to get its act together and face the Persians. This actually happened. This wasn't some hollywood ending. Wow. For someone arguing about an actor not "looking the right age", you don't really seem to care much about the details of the story.

    matthias00 on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    The story is about Leonidas's sacrifice and the inspiration it gave Greece. The army uniting at the end was a symbol of why the 300 did what they did, and to show how powerful Greece can be when guided by a legendary leader. Stop being stupid, Cheeto.

    Urian on
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    goddamn cheeto, do you have a concept of closure? simply dying doesn't make for a meaningful sacrifice. If the Greeks didn't unite, his "sacrifice" wouldn't have meant a goddamn thing. granted, it's in the history books, but that movie would have felt incomplete if they didn't show that his sacrifice worked.

    Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • CheetoCheeto Registered User
    edited March 2007
    jeepguy wrote: »
    Algertman wrote: »
    Cheeto wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Cheeto wrote: »
    Bloods End wrote: »
    What I don't get is why he complains about a character being different then the comic, then he goes and says that they should change the ending of the movie, which was the ending in the comic.

    Well because the ending sucked in the comic and the movie.

    But... but thats how it actually happened.

    I think he's referring to showing the big badass army at the end instead of just ending with leonidas dying.

    Which is stupid because that was one of the most awesome moments of the movie.


    So awesome.

    Yeah, the story would have been incomplete without the last bit.

    If leonidas just died, there would be no real conclusion. I suppose the narrator could have just said "oh, but then more greeks came and kicked their asses" but that is so weak. I don't think it could have ended better.

    Showing that huge CG army was so lame it's laughable. The story was supposed to be about their sacrifice it should have ended with that ultimate sacrifice not with the happy ending that was just basically, "a year later we got some more guys and then we all yelled and went to war and won, now leave the theater smiling because we copped out the ending for ya"

    Uh, they didn't "cop out" on that ending. The Greeks beat the Persians, took around 20years but they beat them. There are these things called history books, maybe you should open one every once in a while


    There's no point in arguing with him. These are the same people who bitched about the ending to Return of the King and wanted a special new retcon ending where Frodo and Sam died in a fucking lava flow because it would have been better pacing, or they needed to pee, or because pie.

    Whatever. Idiots.

    Actually I loved LoTR both books and movies no complaints. To the guy who told me to pick up a history book, why would I do that when this is based on a comic you dumb fuck. This is a fantasy movie about a fantasy comic book. Why the fuck would I read a history book about it? I don't care about the actual events just what happened in the comic/movie and in the comic/movie the ending blew.

    Cheeto on
    Geebs is a dick and made me change my sig.
    Batman_Sig_by_Merit13.jpg
  • CheetoCheeto Registered User
    edited March 2007
    The big ass army at the end was not cool or exciting it was lame and a romanticized piece of shit.(kinda like the godfather) The ending sucked plain and simple in the comic and the movie. History has nothing to do with either.

    Cheeto on
    Geebs is a dick and made me change my sig.
    Batman_Sig_by_Merit13.jpg
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'm not even sure i know what you are complaining about. You say Gerard Butler was too young in the movie, and should have been more like the comic. Yet you say they should have changed the ending b/c the comic ending sucks? (i think somebody else pointed this out earlier) but either way you are a retard because you just compared 300 to the godfather....WTF?

    Dr. Frenchenstein on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cheeto wrote: »
    The big ass army at the end was not cool or exciting it was lame and a romanticized piece of shit.(kinda like the godfather) The ending sucked plain and simple in the comic and the movie. History has nothing to do with either.

    You

    cannot

    complain about the ending being "romanticized."

    It is a comic book movie. Not a single second of footage was not "romanticized." Barring even that point of your inane argument, as everyone else has said, the true value of the 300 was shown via the narration and final shots of the army. The movie would've been a huge waste of time without all of that. Is this something you are not processing, or are you just choosing to ignore that?

    Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • HalleysComicHalleysComic Registered User
    edited March 2007
    I LOOOOOVED the comic... but made the mistake of reading it before I saw the movie.
    With every comic book movie, if I've read the comic beforehand I can't watch the movie (except for Sin City)

    I KNOW it was a good movie, but the whole time I was like "...but they aren't explaining "Hubris" right! are they going to do it later? Huh?" and yeah... I was thinking that about a million other things too. I'm going to have to see it again, and hopefully I'll be able to enjoy it more when I already realize it's just not going to be the same experience.

    We'll see though... but seriously, if you haven't read the comic, READ IT!! you'll be missing a lot if you don't.

    HalleysComic on
    1761-1171138911.png
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cheeto wrote: »
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Cheeto wrote: »
    Bloods End wrote: »
    What I don't get is why he complains about a character being different then the comic, then he goes and says that they should change the ending of the movie, which was the ending in the comic.

    Well because the ending sucked in the comic and the movie.

    But... but thats how it actually happened.

    I think he's referring to showing the big badass army at the end instead of just ending with leonidas dying.

    Which is stupid because that was one of the most awesome moments of the movie.


    So awesome.

    Yeah, the story would have been incomplete without the last bit.

    If leonidas just died, there would be no real conclusion. I suppose the narrator could have just said "oh, but then more greeks came and kicked their asses" but that is so weak. I don't think it could have ended better.

    Showing that huge CG army was so lame it's laughable. The story was supposed to be about their sacrifice it should have ended with that ultimate sacrifice not with the happy ending that was just basically, "a year later we got some more guys and then we all yelled and went to war and won, now leave the theater smiling because we copped out the ending for ya"

    That was a run-on sentence. I think you should rephrase that so the rest of us find it more aesthetically pleasing. Also, you are switching tenses like crazy. Might want to fix that.

    Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User
    edited March 2007
    I think the only thing that bothered me about the comic book to movie transition was that the hunchback just threw his spear and shield of the cliff in the movie rather than throwing himself over the cliff. I just dont get why it was cut.

    Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I also did not like how they cut the part where he thows himself over the cliff.

    Igpx407 on
  • edited March 2007
    Yeah, I thought it was a vital reason as to why the character betrays the Spartans.

    As they have it in the movie, it's not quite as dramatic.

    Menace on
    Don't try to talk to me like you're somebody.

    You aren't shit to me.

    Got that?
  • CheetoCheeto Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Cheeto wrote: »
    The big ass army at the end was not cool or exciting it was lame and a romanticized piece of shit.(kinda like the godfather) The ending sucked plain and simple in the comic and the movie. History has nothing to do with either.

    You

    cannot

    complain about the ending being "romanticized."

    It is a comic book movie. Not a single second of footage was not "romanticized." Barring even that point of your inane argument, as everyone else has said, the true value of the 300 was shown via the narration and final shots of the army. The movie would've been a huge waste of time without all of that. Is this something you are not processing, or are you just choosing to ignore that?

    No I get it but it was stupid and a terrible ending for the comic and the movie. It was pointless and the whole big ass army thing wasn't cool it was fucking terrible. Honestly were they trying to be Xtreme!!!!! or something? Zack Snyder needs to direct movies like an adult instead of a 13 year old in the late 90's.

    Cheeto on
    Geebs is a dick and made me change my sig.
    Batman_Sig_by_Merit13.jpg
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You do realize that you sound like a 13 year old in the late 90s, right?

    I'm planning on seeing it tomorrow.

    Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Cheeto wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Cheeto wrote: »
    The big ass army at the end was not cool or exciting it was lame and a romanticized piece of shit.(kinda like the godfather) The ending sucked plain and simple in the comic and the movie. History has nothing to do with either.

    You

    cannot

    complain about the ending being "romanticized."

    It is a comic book movie. Not a single second of footage was not "romanticized." Barring even that point of your inane argument, as everyone else has said, the true value of the 300 was shown via the narration and final shots of the army. The movie would've been a huge waste of time without all of that. Is this something you are not processing, or are you just choosing to ignore that?

    No I get it but it was stupid and a terrible ending for the comic and the movie. It was pointless and the whole big ass army thing wasn't cool it was fucking terrible. Honestly were they trying to be Xtreme!!!!! or something? Zack Snyder needs to direct movies like an adult instead of a 13 year old in the late 90's.

    Guys, I think it is time to just give up on him. Now I think he is just disagreeing for the sake of having a dissenting opinion.

    Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cheeto wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Cheeto wrote: »
    The big ass army at the end was not cool or exciting it was lame and a romanticized piece of shit.(kinda like the godfather) The ending sucked plain and simple in the comic and the movie. History has nothing to do with either.

    You

    cannot

    complain about the ending being "romanticized."

    It is a comic book movie. Not a single second of footage was not "romanticized." Barring even that point of your inane argument, as everyone else has said, the true value of the 300 was shown via the narration and final shots of the army. The movie would've been a huge waste of time without all of that. Is this something you are not processing, or are you just choosing to ignore that?

    No I get it but it was stupid and a terrible ending for the comic and the movie. It was pointless and the whole big ass army thing wasn't cool it was fucking terrible. Honestly were they trying to be Xtreme!!!!! or something? Zack Snyder needs to direct movies like an adult instead of a 13 year old in the late 90's.

    Cheeto, I don't even know you. I don't come to Graphic Violence, but I like talking 300. You're pretty confused dude. On the one hand you seem angry that the ending is the way it is - reflective of the comic book ending. On the other, you're upset that Gerard doesn't look 40 or 50, or however you wanted it to be.

    So - in one sense - you want things to be changed from the comic book (the ending with the 10,000 Spartans) on the other, you want things exactly the same (Gerard's age)?

    Personally, I think that Gerard did a pretty bang up job. Similarly, I don't really care if someone of a different race plays a pivotal character (such as Michael Clark Douglas and Kingpin). It's very difficult to hold oneself to the exacting nature of a comic book. You can't recreate everything faithfully, so you've gotta make some exceptions. I don't think Gerard having black instead of gray hair and missing some wrinkles is really pivotal to the story.

    As far as the ending, well - I don't think they could have changed that, because that's how it went down. 300 Spartans + Arcadians + whoever else was at that battle died. That story pushed the rest of the Greek city states into war with the Persians for the second time. Then, that led to the final scene. You can't just edit that out, if you did then you'd have just as many people saying that it was lame how the 300 died without any real connection. For example, instead of you pissing and moaning about the ending being "romanticized" you'd be bitching and moaning saying it wasn't true to historical events.

    Also, let us remember. This is a movie. Based on a comic. Based on an event thousands of years ago that may, or may not, have gone down at all how the historians wrote it. You've got to give them some credit.

    Cheeto, honestly, you're being a douche. It's like you're going out of your way to disagree with people. I get the impression you just really don't like the movie, but you're grabbing at straws as to why you don't. It's cool man, you don't have to like the movie - you get to have your own opinion. However, you do not get to periodically shit all over the thread.

    MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • CheetoCheeto Registered User
    edited March 2007
    Actually I loved the movie dumbass.

    Cheeto on
    Geebs is a dick and made me change my sig.
    Batman_Sig_by_Merit13.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Just not the ending.

    Or Leonidas.

    Or any scenes involving Gorgo.

    Other than that, it's all love.
    :roll:

    wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Cheeto wrote: »
    Actually I loved the movie dumbass.



    My head just blew the fuck up

    Algertman on
  • Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Cheeto, honestly, you're being a douche. It's like you're going out of your way to disagree with people. I get the impression you just really don't like the movie, but you're grabbing at straws as to why you don't. It's cool man, you don't have to like the movie - you get to have your own opinion. However, you do not get to periodically shit all over the thread.
    Cheeto wrote: »
    Actually I loved the movie dumbass.

    Am I the only one who sees the comic value of this exchange?

    Dex Dynamo on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Cheeto, honestly, you're being a douche. It's like you're going out of your way to disagree with people. I get the impression you just really don't like the movie, but you're grabbing at straws as to why you don't. It's cool man, you don't have to like the movie - you get to have your own opinion. However, you do not get to periodically shit all over the thread.
    Cheeto wrote: »
    Actually I loved the movie dumbass.

    Am I the only one who sees the comic value of this exchange?

    Not anymore. :P

    wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • CheetoCheeto Registered User
    edited March 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Just not the ending.

    Or Leonidas.

    Or any scenes involving Gorgo.

    Other than that, it's all love.
    :roll:

    No the scenes with Gorgo were okay.

    Cheeto on
    Geebs is a dick and made me change my sig.
    Batman_Sig_by_Merit13.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.