As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MLP: FiM: For the New Lunar Old Republic

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    MrDapper wrote: »

Lip sync and mouth movement in animation is something I've always been pretty particular about. I get kinda irritated if it's done poorly but also really take note and appreciate when it's done well.

When I was at Valve, there was a screen in the lobby that played a constant loop of promo videos from the games, most notably the Meet the Team shorts. So that it wouldn't drive the receptionist insane, it was usually on mute. But even then, I could not help but stop and watch a Meet the Team bit whenever I walked by and one was on. They're just so well done, the lip sync and mouth movement in particular. The animators there are just ridiculously talented and I had a chance to talk to them here and there. I had an idea about mouth animation that I wasn't sure was an original thought or not, so I talked to one of the people there at lunch. I was thinking that as a way to test how well their mouth animation is done, they could play a video for a deaf person who is adept at lip reading and see how well they can understand it. Turns out, it is something that is not uncommon in high-end animation and he said it's something Disney has done for years and years.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    CMC episode tomorrow, yay!

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Episode tomorrow, next week, then a break before the finale?

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    And then....the long sleep.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    We can just strand ourselves on the moon until it's back on.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    We did it before, we can do it again. The real panic will be if it turns out we are only getting another 13 episodes.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Damnit wolf I don't wanna hear those words! They can end it at season four or something, just not now!

NOT NOW!!

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    April 21. Man, it's going to be a long time between that and Max Payne 3. Thank God I'll have Community to keep me company through that darkest of timelines.

Maybe I'll win the lottery and hire Tara Strong to call me once per week to give me a friendship report over the phone.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    spoiled for long
    3d7.jpg

• Options
    Bad KittyBad Kitty Registered User regular
    I really need something else to distract me during the break. I cannot start reading fanfiction again.

• Options
    OkamiOkami On the internet nobody knows you're a dog. Nobody. Land of Ports, OreganoRegistered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Okami wrote: »
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Knight_ wrote: »
    I have a secret hatred for people who are talented at drawing and making art in general. I tried so hard for many years to be competent, but it's just not something I am capable of doing. :(

The thing is, in most of these cases when you ask, it turns out they've been drawing incessantly since they were 4 years old. And I'm thinking, "Well, hurrah. I'm 31. I could sketch up a page of lumpy circles, if you want."

If I could hyperfocus on my drawing tablet the way I can spend all-night MMO leveling grinds, I could probably come up with something. But so far that's not happening. Just setting aside time doesn't help, because as soon as I switch to that, I suddenly realize I'm really really tired and can't finish more than a couple doodles before getting bored.

That's pretty much where my little smattering of drawing talent comes from. I've just always been drawing so I've just naturally progressed over time by almost constantly drawing for at least two decades of my life.

Lets see, I haven't really touched drawing for reals until I was in my final year of High School. Stuck with it all the way through college, but I still don't think I am at that level of making great art. If anything its true when people say practice a bunch.

It pretty much is. I'm by no means great, there's still a lot I don't understand and I make plenty of anatomy flaws if I can't vividly picture a pose in my head or have some form of reference still, I'm not about to achieve any great art either. Then there's people like my boyfriend's sister whose five years younger than I am but has far surpassed my art talent, I can pretty much call the things I've seen her draw great art.

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    So this is what a western itasha looks like.

N9pro.png

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well he has a website and its about......?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Bad Kitty wrote: »
    I really need something else to distract me during the break. I cannot start reading fanfiction again.
    Isn't korra starting right then?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Game of Thrones returns.

The majority of Transformers Prime's season remains.

Young Justice just came back a couple weeks ago.

And yes, Korra.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    And I'll just hope that I get my Pandaren beta sometime soon.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Has there been any other fandom in which fans of the show create stuff in between episodes and share it throughout the whole weekday?

Cause I hardly feel any downtime from ponies since so many fans make so much stuff and I love it.

Homestuck's fandom seems to operate like this too.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Has there been any other fandom in which fans of the show create stuff in between episodes and share it throughout the whole weekday?

Cause I hardly feel any downtime from ponies since so many fans make so much stuff and I love it.

I asked some Homestuck cosplayers at Momocon what exactly the show was about. Big mistake on my part.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »

I asked some Homestuck cosplayers at Momocon what exactly the show was about. Big mistake on my part.

hahahah
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »

hahahah
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I've seen the trailer:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TsEpDS7-Mw

I read up to Act 1, not sure if I would want to continue. Its just that they have so many terms its hard to keep track of whats what.

• Options
    Eh. It keeps people busy.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Some people don't like act 1 because it's mostly just John dicking around with his sylladex and stuff (though other people really like it because it's just funny without all the complex plotlines and millions of characters).

But once it takes off, it really takes off and becomes something else entirely. I'd probably recommend sticking around to the end of act 2 before deciding whether or not to continue.

broken image link
  • Options
    But yeah, the homestuck 'fandom' is one of the few ones that I find...sillier than some of the excesses of bronies

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Homestuck needs a lot of patience to get though. I read the entire thing a couple months ago and realised I barely understood anything about the plot, and didn't really care enough to figure it all out. That and I found nearly all the characters annoying as fuck.

There is a copycat thing called Prequel, set in the elder scrolls games, which I'm liking a lot though.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    And I'll just hope that I get my Pandaren beta sometime soon.

I got in today

it's pretty neat

• Options
    There's always woonastuck.

JNgLX.png

1q5OF.gif

PwiBh.gif

• Options
    Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Game of Thrones returns.

The majority of Transformers Prime's season remains.

Young Justice just came back a couple weeks ago.

And yes, Korra.

I... you know, it's times like this I realize my tastes are depressingly geek-mainstream.

Save me, Obi-Wan Obscure Animu Series, you're my only hope for media consumption individualism!

I remember getting through Problem Sleuth could be a bit choreish with keeping track of all the ontological weirdness; Homestuck seems like a whole 'nother level of fucked. Personally it'll probably have to wait until I'm unemployed or on a long break. It is interesting that prior to FIM Homestuck probably was the best western example of semi-fan-driven franchises like Touhou and Vocaloid, no doubt partly due to MS Paint Adventures having an explicit mechanism for incorporating fan input into the official work. I wonder what a completely democratically-driven franchise would be like, where the creator's only role is to act as a creative conduit for the community. Probably terrible, no doubt.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    MSPA... Probably terrible, no doubt.
    :winky:

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Correct.

Moonstuck is pretty awesome, though. After just reading it all.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I read
    Some people don't like act 1 because it's mostly just John dicking around with his sylladex and stuff (though other people really like it because it's just funny without all the complex plotlines and millions of characters).

But once it takes off, it really takes off and becomes something else entirely. I'd probably recommend sticking around to the end of act 2 before deciding whether or not to continue.

Yeah, I'm one of those other people - I enjoyed the "Sims in-real-life" bit at the start, but quickly tuned out once it started to move away from that and into serious stuff.

Quake Matt on
  • Options
    Almost episode time! Looks like Bronystate is down again.

• Options
    Baby Apple Bloom!

• Options
    Scootaloo attempted to fly, so that's a start.

• Options
    rc_techrc_tech Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Blendtec wrote: »
    Scootaloo attempted to fly, so that's a start.
    and failed miserably..

rc_tech on
    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis
  • Options
    I like how no one cared about Pinkies Problem.

• Options
    Pinkie: "It's true! I do have a problem!"
    All of this gossip is hilarious.

• Options
    Was Twilight getting her tail dyed? Maybe it isn't really those colors.

This discussion has been closed.