As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MLP: FiM: For the New Lunar Old Republic

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Mmm

• Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    Woooo, episode has begun!
    Looks like this will be a murder (manslaugher?) mystery, as Mr. Cake will have a heart attack and die when he hears about this.

Love the French griffon holding his wing like a cape.

• Options
    Holy crap, the silent film / James Bond / ninja references were the best thing ever! The silent film was my fave. (Wonder how many kids will "get" that, ha ha!)

Did anyone catch what Pony Joe's James Bond name was?

• Options
    "Pinkie! There is no laser beam security system!"
    Cute episode so far. I noticed that Rarity always has her hair glamorously covering one of her eyes, which is a nice touch.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I simply love the hat swapping Pinkie and Twilight are doing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Such an amazing episode, but there's one little touch about Twilight that I really liked...
    Twilight's OCD manifesting itself slightly when she wiped down Pinkie's bubble pipe.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    "How's that for a lesson, Princess?"

"GET OUT OF MY WAY, I SEE CAKE."

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Oh god, this episode.
    The parodies. The style parodies.

Between Community's PBS Documentary and Pinkie's Dramatic Reenactments, oh man.

I can't believe we live in a world where both Community and My Little Pony are doing such amazing style parodies in the same week. Even if the scale is different (whole episode vs snippets), they both pulled it off wonderfully
    LadyM wrote: »
    "How's that for a lesson, Princess?"

"GET OUT OF MY WAY, I SEE CAKE."

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    "Pinkie! There is no laser beam security system!"
    Cute episode so far. I noticed that Rarity always has her hair glamorously covering one of her eyes, which is a nice touch.
    Not only a callback to Hearth's Warming Eve (with the fake eyelashes), but also an awesome plot twist. Such a great episode.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    All the wordplay and alliteration this episode was fantastic.
    "He has mousse in his mousstache!"

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    About halfway though the make a strip panel someone did ask for an annual MLP reference, but Mike put his footdown and it's not annual.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    hahahaha yes

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Would have preferred they not ask at all, but this is the next thing, I guess. Hope they weren't carrying a drawing reference all ready to show Mike like last time.

• Options
    well i don't see what's wrong with that. the first time he had to google it himself and ended up with g1, so they brought a reference so it'd be g4.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    But the more preparation one does for something like that, the more you've got to sit there the rest of the panel carrying something a thousand people just watched Mike say "No" to.

• Options
    Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Fun episode. It almost seemed like an intentional answer to the more controversial interpretations of Feeling Pinkie Keen, with the emphasis on evidence-based reasoning, and taking the side of Twilight's rationality over Pinkie's intuition. Pinkie's dialogue about the desserts was the type of repetitive writing that sometimes annoys me on the show, but unlike the constant talk about "special someponies" in Hearts and Hooves Day, it was actually important to the plot, so I didn't mind too much. The silent film sequence was great- on a side note, it's interesting how that type of thing sticks around in the culture and we all get the reference despite many of us never having actually watched one. I wonder about the show's target demographic, though. I suppose they can get the idea from context, like I did as a kid watching Bugs Bunny cartoons with 1950's cultural references. It would probably be the first introduction to the idea of silent movies for a lot of them, which makes me feel old.

I was pleased the answer to the mystery wasn't that Pinkie ate the cake in her sleep, which was the most obvious ending. Someone on Reddit had the theory that Twilight was the real culprit, and used her memory spell to implant the guilt in the others after faking all her "evidence". The perfect crime!

I actually think Rarity looks way better with her hair covering one eye, I wish they'd keep that. It's the first time she hasn't looked vaguely bald to me.

Blendtec wrote: »
    Why didn't Twilight just teleport the cake to Canterlot?

Even assuming a teleport that distance is possible (it's not certain how far the one in Dragon Quest was), Twilight's teleports have been shown as somewhat unstable in the past, leaving her dizzy and/or singed coming out of them in the early instances. It's likely trying to do one that difficult could damage the cake somehow. Maybe at that distance the destination targeting components could be thrown off, and the cake would appear a few feet in the air, and then drop.

...Also, then there wouldn't have been an episode. ANSWER'D!

Wandering Idiot on
  • Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    Oh, wow, never thought I'd see them do a call out to Fawlty Towers!
    I actually expected Twilight to have eaten the cakes at the end, then gave the hat back to Pinkie thinking that she wouldn't have figured it out.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    oh man, that might be the single funniest ep of the series.
    random thoughts:
    Big Mac can drag a house, surely a cake can't be that hard.
    ...which doesn't matter anyway - why wasn't Twi just levitating it around?
    new griffon!
    Donut Joe is a boss
    Rarity x Donut Joe - new OTP
    Donut Chrysler Building!
    the style parodies!
    the wordplay!
    ALL PONIES SHOULD WEAR BOWLERS
    [Celestia loves cake] is the new [Celestia is an oppressive despot]

• Options
    Holy crap, the silent film / James Bond / ninja references were the best thing ever! The silent film was my fave. (Wonder how many kids will "get" that, ha ha!)

Did anyone catch what Pony Joe's James Bond name was?
    Mane. Con Mane.

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Just now got to watch the rest of the episode. Poor AJ and Twilight didn't get any cake. Solid episode though, I love mystery spoofs like that.

• Options
    So someone asked who is best pony to Jerry and Mike.
    There was a bit of silence and then some cheers from a third of the crowd.
    Mike said "Fluttershy? Is that a pony?"
    Jerry tries to think of a name and eventually settles on sluthorse.
    Clearly Jerry's favorite should be Twilight and Mike's should be Rarity.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    lol i watched that on the stream. That guy was embarrassing to watch.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Not that big a fan of this episode, it felt like it never really settled into a groove. The fact that it's only two weeks since Hurricane Fluttershy might be biasing me, though.

• Options
    Is Con Mane's name based on con man or is there something else to the pun/reference that I'm not getting?

Fanfic related question:

What time of year do you think it is when the Grand Galloping Gala takes place? Initially I was thinking mid- to late summer, because it seemed fairly warm out even at night, but now I'm thinking maybe spring, since all the flowers in the garden were blooming. (And since ponies don't seem to mind cold weather.)

• Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Caedere wrote: »
    Such an amazing episode, but there's one little touch about Twilight that I really liked...
    Twilight's OCD manifesting itself slightly when she wiped down Pinkie's bubble pipe.

Is that OCD? She just wants to be clean. I mean, I'd do the same.
    agoaj wrote: »
    About halfway though the make a strip panel someone did ask for an annual MLP reference, but Mike put his footdown and it's not annual.

Didn't a guy go up and ask if he could ban all ponies?
    So someone asked who is best pony to Jerry and Mike.
    There was a bit of silence and then some cheers from a third of the crowd.
    Mike said "Fluttershy? Is that a pony?"
    Jerry tries to think of a name and eventually settles on sluthorse.
    Clearly Jerry's favorite should be Twilight and Mike's should be Rarity.

Nope nope, Fluttershy is best pony.

That last part of the Griffons story.
    Particularly that face he made.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Is Con Mane's name based on con man or is there something else to the pun/reference that I'm not getting?

Fanfic related question:

What time of year do you think it is when the Grand Galloping Gala takes place? Initially I was thinking mid- to late summer, because it seemed fairly warm out even at night, but now I'm thinking maybe spring, since all the flowers in the garden were blooming. (And since ponies don't seem to mind cold weather.)

I always assumed Spring.

• Options
    Riokenn wrote: »

Yeah, about 5 questions after the guy asking for the annual pony got rejected, a guy said he only got in line to tell them to block/ban ponies. Then he went on to say that he found out he had a brony in his car and left him back on I90.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular

Fanfic related question:

re: your spoiler
    it's kind of a pun on "John Wayne

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The problem with PAX Q&As is that a lot of nerds assume that since Mike and Jerry are also nerds then that means the guys must like exactly all the same things and know about every single meme or reference.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options

Yeah, about 5 questions after the guy asking for the annual pony got rejected, a guy said he only got in line to tell them to block/ban ponies. Then he went on to say that he found out he had a brony in his car and left him back on I90.

How'd they respond to that one?

And what audience request did make it into Monday's comic?

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    Just now got to watch the rest of the episode. Poor AJ and Twilight didn't get any cake. Solid episode though, I love mystery spoofs like that.
    I was wondering why AJ was looking so nervous during the questioning then

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SabreMau wrote: »

How'd they respond to that one?

And what audience request did make it into Monday's comic?
    An awkward ok.

The best one
    Adding the watch to the scene.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    They need to bring that watch in more often.

But yeah that I90 guy sounded like a dick.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Cute

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    The pony fans were at Norwescon too. Saw a Rarity cosplayer on saturday.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    New Royal Wedding episode/website commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1qztVkn590

Confirms appearance of
    Vinyl Scratch/DJ PON-3.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Guys I haven't watched ponies in a month. What would best summarize what I've missed?

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Guys I haven't watched ponies in a month. What would best summarize what I've missed?

Ponies did things. Fun was had by all.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
This discussion has been closed.