As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SSX] World class tunnel physics simulator

• Options
    TomaToma Registered User regular
    It feels like I'm doing the story mode just to get it out of the way. As a kind of tutorial, I wish they made it shorted.

I'm really looking forward to digging into the Explore and Global Events modes.

tomapop.gif

PSN: Toma84
  • Options
    TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Have I mentioned that I hate the survival mechanics yet? Everything else about this game is awesome, but the second I have to worry about oxygen or cold or some other tacked-on mechanic it feels completely arbitrary and frustrating. "Hey get as many points as possible, except don't breathe and don't go in the shade! Have a blast!"

Trying to finish World Tour mode so I can unlock all the characters and mountains, but it's not looking promising...

On another note, any tips on getting Tricky quickly and keeping it for a while? I'm at the point where I have to be constantly boosting in order to stand a chance in these later races.

TheScruple on
    All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    I don,t think you have to go through world tour to get that stuff if you don't want to. You can always buy characters with in-game credits and Explore/global events let you go anywhere you want.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    You don't need to play the story mode to unlock anything. You can just buy characters in explore. I think they're only 10,000 each or something.

I know I was surprised when I tried to switch characters and it costed me some credits.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Basically, people need to stop playing story mode and start trying to beat my scores.

And I ALWAYS beat story modes before I play online. This one is just kind of lame.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Yay, finally got my copy. Should add me on XBL: Knight is Crazy

If someone could put that in the OP I'd <3 forever.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    The Global Event shit is slick, even though I don't have an Online Pass it's cool you can still do that stuff and unlock cash flow, but if you don't feel like playing online you can just do routes in Explore or World Tour to get money.

But there's a TON of events with like 3 BILLION dollar purses, and only 400 entries, I'm getting upwards of 400K+ for my mediocre runs (Silver/Gold) once the event clears.

• Options
    TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    Fireflash wrote: »
    I don,t think you have to go through world tour to get that stuff if you don't want to. You can always buy characters with in-game credits and Explore/global events let you go anywhere you want.
    DeMoN wrote: »
    You don't need to play the story mode to unlock anything. You can just buy characters in explore. I think they're only 10,000 each or something.

I know I was surprised when I tried to switch characters and it costed me some credits.

Wow, thanks you two. My SSX experience just got way better. Working on beating some of your times now!

All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • Options
    Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Allforce wrote: »
    The Global Event shit is slick, even though I don't have an Online Pass it's cool you can still do that stuff and unlock cash flow, but if you don't feel like playing online you can just do routes in Explore or World Tour to get money.

But there's a TON of events with like 3 BILLION dollar purses, and only 400 entries, I'm getting upwards of 400K+ for my mediocre runs (Silver/Gold) once the event clears.

I agree completely, loving the online stuff.

By the way: I just beat your best score on that downhill survival global event by 7,000 M

dealwithit.jpg

Yellow Ranger on
    sigcx.jpg
  • Options
    Haha that track is awesome, the one where you gotta avoid trees and just keep going as long as you can? I loved that.

• Options
    TomaToma Registered User regular
    So I can safely say, unless you want a surefire way to make tons of credits and unlock all the characters without spending any, Story mode is pretty... meh. It's a good sampling of the whole game, but seems like they should have just stuck with Explore and Global Events being the only modes.

tomapop.gif

PSN: Toma84
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Rented this from a Red Box tonight.

Fun game, though I'm having a hard time adjusting to the right stick=jump after years of Tony Hawk as a younger engraved that in my brain.

I tried the buttons config but I couldn't figure it out.

Also I can't help but feel that my tricks are nothing but button/stick mashes.

Ah well.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    I tried the buttons config but I couldn't figure it out.
    It's the same as the right stick controls. Moving stick to the right = pressing the right button, moving it down = pressing the down button, etc.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    I love that your ghost gets wins.

• Options
    LingxorLingxor Registered User regular
    My enjoyment of this game suddenly took a nosedive after racing against the AI in a pitch black cave with pitfalls EVERYWHERE.

• Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    This game is about four times more enjoyable with a custom soundtrack. I highly recommend that everyone come up with their own.

They did a fantastic job with the remixes

• Options
    I love that your ghost gets wins.

Seriously, earning credits while not playing the game is the best thing ever.

Trenched/Iron Brigade did something kind of similar. It's a trend I'd like to see continue.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    gunwarrior wrote: »
    This game is about four times more enjoyable with a custom soundtrack. I highly recommend that everyone come up with their own.

I tried to put some music on the 360 but no dice, I googled it and the only way is to literally put a CD in there and copy the music over lol.

Maybe my wife has some Beatles CDs somewhere....

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular

I tried to put some music on the 360 but no dice, I googled it and the only way is to literally put a CD in there and copy the music over lol.

You should be able to stream music from a Windows computer with media player on it.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Reynolds wrote: »
    The loading times on this are really starting to get to me.

Yeah me too. Really wish they had a PS3 install option. I wonder if the load times on the 360 are better.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Yellow RangerYellow Ranger Registered User regular

Yeah me too. Really wish they had a PS3 install option. I wonder if the load times on the 360 are better.

They must be, because I've never really noticed them. How long are they on PS3? I just loaded the biggest Himalayan track to run a test and it took about 11 seconds. I have it installed on my 360 hard drive.

sigcx.jpg
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular

They must be, because I've never really noticed them. How long are they on PS3? I just loaded the biggest Himalayan track to run a test and it took about 11 seconds. I have it installed on my 360 hard drive.
    Its about the same, its just that you have to go through a lot of them when restarting, changing maps, etc.

Also, all you SSX3 fans, go to Lock Jaw on Mt. Foraker in Alaska. It should start to feel a little familiar about 1/3rd of the way into the run

• Options
    Man, once you hope over to Explore, some of those drops are actually pretty tough. I can't remember the name, but it's a Trick drop in New Zealand - tons of trees and it requires armor and pulse goggles. Tough to keep a constant combo going. So much fun though.

I think my first goal is to medal in all the drops, and then focus on beating times/getting the remaining medals to gold.

• Options

You should be able to stream music from a Windows computer with media player on it.

Yeah I found I can stream but that just overwrites the game soundtrack, but you can't actually put your music in the game as their definition of "Custom Soundtrack' where the game remixes your tracks on-the-fly unless you have music ripped directly to your hard drive, and you can only do that by putting a CD in the tray apparently.

• Options
    SiracSirac Registered User regular
    Okay, finally got around to adding all the 360 people on the 1st page. I look forward to never beating any of your scores!

(Seriously, the game is massively fun and I am enjoying the hell out of it, but I am and always have been, at best, mediocre at SSX. And judging by the few scores I have seen already that appears likely to continue. Still, I will take a shot.)

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

If you have a Mac, try Rivet. iTunes DRMed music won't play on your 360 though.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    99 Assassins drop can eat a fucking dick.

• Options
    Sirac wrote: »
    Okay, finally got around to adding all the 360 people on the 1st page. I look forward to never beating any of your scores!

(Seriously, the game is massively fun and I am enjoying the hell out of it, but I am and always have been, at best, mediocre at SSX. And judging by the few scores I have seen already that appears likely to continue. Still, I will take a shot.)

We need more mediocre players than we need elite players. We're the meat of the game!

I probably spent a good hour last night just hitting the Back button on any alert that would pop up and then doing that friend's challenge. I like how it it tells me "So and So Just Placed a Geotag on Blablabla" and I went right to the course and searched for it. Also I love how it tells you when someone finds YOUR Geotags right in real-time.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    i dont even know how people are doing the thing theyre doing in this game

• Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    Am I the only one that like the survival events? The mechanic of trying to go down multiple times with increased bad stuff going on each time is hella fun

• Options
    DJ Cam Cam wrote: »
    Am I the only one that like the survival events? The mechanic of trying to go down multiple times with increased bad stuff going on each time is hella fun

They're my favorite events.

Also - I love dicking people over who try to put Geotags in bottomless pits so that no one will go to them.

• Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    DJ Cam Cam wrote: »

No I like em too so far. Dodging trees and jumping over fallen trunks is really fun!.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    Yeah I love them too, the avalanche ones are amazing. I love how they threw the entire game on it's head with those and it's just total insanity

• Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    Sirac wrote: »

We need more mediocre players than we need elite players. We're the meat of the game!

I probably spent a good hour last night just hitting the Back button on any alert that would pop up and then doing that friend's challenge. I like how it it tells me "So and So Just Placed a Geotag on Blablabla" and I went right to the course and searched for it. Also I love how it tells you when someone finds YOUR Geotags right in real-time.

Hey, I'm pretty mediocre, I'll throw my hat into the ring of average SSX player. My gamertag is spubiga, I'll be sending out some friend requests to add some ghosts/geotags to challenge.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    I keep saying this, but I love the custom soundtrack remixing. I just had a run where I got on a rail during Super Tricky with 'Freaks and Geeks' by Childish Gambino playing and it started looping him saying "So insane" while I twirled and tricked on the rail.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Oh god tomorrow can't come fast enough.

Managed to wrangle the earliest shift but even leaving work at 4 is too late.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    I keep saying this, but I love the custom soundtrack remixing. I just had a run where I got on a rail during Super Tricky with 'Freaks and Geeks' by Childish Gambino playing and it started looping him saying "So insane" while I twirled and tricked on the rail.

Creepy... that's on my playlist as well.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I found an old Tribe Called Quest CD in the armrest of my car today, so I am attempting to use that as my remixed music. To be fair it's an awesome album so I lucked out. There was also a burned Josh Groban album that I literally have no clue where it came from.

edit: And now when I hit "custom playlist" all my music shows up from my portable HD hooked up to my PC! Hooray! It didn't work yesterday maybe I just had to reconnect it. Now it's Bone Thugs N Harmony all the way down the Deadly Descents baby!

Allforce on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Gunwarrior, you need to stop being a soulless high score generating killbot so I can beat you at some of these things.

I just took Platinum on the Global Serenity race. GODDAMN, that was wild. Just snick under the cutoff by tenths of a second. Hope that payout stays the same.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    finally beat all the deadly descents, really liked them though the last one felt a little bullshit. overall i had fun with the story mode and it's a good way to become familiar with the mountains and unlock the characters (and gear).

i approve the amount of childish gambino in this thread; here's a sample of my playlist: