As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SSX] World class tunnel physics simulator

• Options
    ghost whistlerghost whistler explodicator HereRegistered User regular
    It's not a bad game. Just not served well by it's 'campaign' mode which is, frankly, awful. You'd be better served learning the courses first which one assumes the campaign would do - it's purpose should be a tutorial really.
    The global events stuff is not bad, though I suspect after a while, as with all games, the in-game credits will become utterly meaningless. There's only so much glittery crap to buy and it seems that your performance can be dictated by what's available in the store, in terms of mods. If one person has access to a really rare speed mod, while the other doesn't then this kinda becomes SSX: The Gathering.
    Some of the courses really do stink: Extinguisher tower has some of the most bland and slow trakcs i've ever seen. Inexplicably you just slow right down the moment you lose boost, even with a really fast character.
    The physics are at times utterly wonky.
    I don't really like advertising my gamertag in public thanks to dealing with assholes previously.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    This makes for a rather excellent addition to the soundtrack on just about any event;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUfgEDC5UEM

But I want a whole huge custom soundtrack and most of my music has no place in SSX. Any recommendations for albums that work particularly well? :3

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Do you have to copy stuff over to your 360 harddrive to have it play in game?

Got some tracks on a flash drive but they didn't play, and last time I formatted a stick to have some 360 space it didn't copy tracks over.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    I know iPods work great with 360s. Just plug em in, full access as though they were on the HDD. External hard drives work great too. Buuut, that's for the regular 'music in game' stuff. To have SSX remixing, it's gotta be on HDD, and the only way I know to do that with the 360 is rip it off disc.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Wait really?

You can't just transfer them over usb?

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    My plan for a soundtrack was to queue up everything from SSX3 and just roll with that.

• Options
    Again, only way I've personally pulled it off. :P

Presumably, a 360 formatted external hard drive should be able to transfer stuff direct to the 360 HDD, but I've never tried.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Huh, alright. It'll be really fucking dumb if CD is the only way to transfer music.

I've found the persona 4 soundtrack to be strangely appropriate as menu music.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    http://youtu.be/mYYuN40_C_w

discuss. (That's not me btw).

Is this playing in the spirit the game was intended?

ghost whistler on
  • Options
    Antihippy wrote: »
    Huh, alright. It'll be really fucking dumb if CD is the only way to transfer music.

I've found the persona 4 soundtrack to be strangely appropriate as menu music.
    xbox has always been like that. You cannot transfer files, only stream them. Yes, it's fucking stupid.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Entriech wrote: »
    My plan for a soundtrack was to queue up everything from SSX3 and just roll with that.

Some of those tracks are kind of hard to track down. I ended up going with the Tony Hawk Underground soundtrack for the trick sections, because it's one of the best video game soundtracks ever.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    You can also connect to your PC and use the music from there. That's what I did, and it works like a charm.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

If the rules of the game allow for it, I'd say yes. I know they tried to introduce some motivation for maintaining a certain descent down the mountain by having your multiplier die off if you're not going fast enough or tricking enough. That person just seems to have optimized it on that particular run. The sorts of things they're doing require technical proficiency to achieve, and it's a strategy that wouldn't necessarily work on other runs with less favourable layouts.

If they had wanted to curtail that sort of behaviour, then one simple fix could have been a light time limit imposed on trick courses, with a score penalty for each second over the limit. In fact, didn't SSX3 use something like that on their score attack and superpipe courses?

I miss superpipes.

• Options

The designers have been pretty adamant that mastering the game would involve using the mountains and not just the ramp. This guy figured it out to the extreme.

• Options
    I'm going to be making a Penny Arcade exclusive Custom Global Event tonight around 6 central. Add me on XBL if you haven't already so you can get in: skyturnsred.

Once I create it, I'll post the details. Likely a three day event with a 5-10k drop fee. Any particular runs you guys want to do? I could even make a Survive, Trick, and Race for the same run.

• Options
    I'm going to be making a Penny Arcade exclusive Custom Global Event tonight around 6 central. Add me on XBL if you haven't already so you can get in: skyturnsred. (I say exclusive because none of my real life friends have SSX on the 360, and the only other Gamertags I have are from PA.)

Once I create it, I'll post the details. Likely a three day event with a 5-10k drop fee. Any particular runs you guys want to do? I could even make a Survive, Trick, and Race for the same run.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Another problem is I feel like the boost gives you way too much impulse. You can land 2 inches away from a ramp and boost and you'll be going super fast by the time you ramp off it. In SSX3 there was way less massive acceleration given by the boost, which made you want to head down the mountain more so you could get enough speed to do big tricks. (rail cheese notwithstanding)

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    TheScrupleTheScruple The Oldest of BridgesRegistered User regular
    I don't know how I feel about the gear perks in this. I spent a good thirty minutes trying to best someones time today and then gave up went back to the gear screen, reloaded it several times until I got a faster board and then blew past him the first try. (Sorry TheScruple)

It's weird to mix skill based gameplay with, oh this guy is going to beat you always because his board gives him a major advantage, makes the skill part feel hollow. Also I'm not sure what effect leveling up has.

Just saw this, and yeah, I agree with you. I'm pretty terrible at racing, but the equipment I bought (Suit perk: Extra Tricky Time, Level 10 board with Perk: Bonus Boost) basically means I earn Gold if I don't crash, fall down or get stuck doing loops in a tunnel. In races you've already run, I'd actually slow down to watch your ghost to figure out your lines, then use my extra speed to try to make up the difference. I fully expected that once you got better equipment, you'd make my times look silly.

On one hand, it's good to feel accomplished by getting a few golds, but it does feel cheap, since I don't feel like I actually learn anything by winning, "press R2 to win, don't crash" was all I needed.

All prairie dogs just want to be heroes
  • Options
    chidonachidona Registered User regular
    Fuck the bulldog race, fuck the bulldog race, fuck the bulldog race *goes back to getting thrown about by random kickers and spinning in tunnels and half pipes forever*

• Options
    OK, if xboxists want to add me they can, my gamertag is Strangeotron. I have a funny thing about adding complete strangers though, but i don't mind people adding me. No, it doesn't make sense.

• Options

The designers have been pretty adamant that mastering the game would involve using the mountains and not just the ramp. This guy figured it out to the extreme.
    Well, it was my understanding that going backwards was supposed to nullify your multiplier. After all you are meant to be going down a mountain, not slingshotting your way back up like the Enterprise going backwards through time.
    Feels cheap to me. I think a timer would really have been the best option.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    If you add me I'll cam with you ghost whistler

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Gamertag - Wraith134

Would love some fellow SSX owners to pit scores against, my rivals list is pretty barren right about now.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular

Well, it was my understanding that going backwards was supposed to nullify your multiplier. After all you are meant to be going down a mountain, not slingshotting your way back up like the Enterprise going backwards through time.

There is a no flow penalty if you go back up or stay in the same place for too long, you don't get any points.

Fair play to this guy, he's doing what all top people do on competitive games, he's finding the limits of the systems in place and getting as close as he can.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options

He slingshots side to side for the most part. Not a lot of upwards movement (but then again, I did not watch the entirety of the video, that's just what I gathered after about a minute.)

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    This makes for a rather excellent addition to the soundtrack on just about any event;

I prefer this version for racing.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSPeg5Nw9Tk

Gives me that good old Tony Hawk nostalgia.

As for good SSX soundtrack album recommendations, the WET soundtrack is aces. Punkabilly craziness is a good motivator.

My customs (not a full list, just a snippet of the ones I remember off hand)
    Racing:
    Rusty Cage, Room A Thousand Years Wide, Outshined - Soundgarden
    Legacy - The Gone Jackals
    Got The Time - Anthrax
    Bring the Noise - Anthrax/Public Enemy
    Nights Of Fire - Eurobeat
    Crazy In The Head - Three Bad Jacks
    One Little Victory (instrumental) - Rush
    Ace Of Spades - Motorhead
    The Distance - Cake

Tricking:
    Hero, Freaks and Geeks, Bonfire, Sunrise, Firefly, Lights Turned On - Childish Gambino
    Welcome To The Terrordome, Shut Em Down - Public Enemy
    The Winner - Crystal Method
    Negotiation Limerick File, Make Some Noise, Sabotage, Body Movin' - Beastie Boys
    Jerry Was A Race Car Driver, Mr. Knowitall - Primus

Basically I went for uptempo rock for my racing and slower, funkier rap for my tricking.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    If he did that by some way outside of the game I would be mad. Hes playing the game as intended. If it were that easy the score would be much higher on that run right now. The truth is that is not easy to do at all, and there are plenty of points where he almost crashes or kills his combo. That run is a giant open area as well. I'd like to see the same kinda thing happen on other peaks when there is not a wall protecting you on all sides.

• Options
    Nice, I use a ton of Public Enemy on my custom soundtrack too, Rebel Without a Pause, Don't Believe The Hype, etc.

• Options
    DJ Cam Cam wrote: »
    If he did that by some way outside of the game I would be mad. Hes playing the game as intended. If it were that easy the score would be much higher on that run right now. The truth is that is not easy to do at all, and there are plenty of points where he almost crashes or kills his combo. That run is a giant open area as well. I'd like to see the same kinda thing happen on other peaks when there is not a wall protecting you on all sides.
    If that is how the game was intended to be played then it's not what I want in the game. It just doesn't sit right with me. YMMV. I don't care for it at all. I guess I won't be scoring 149 million anytime soon.

• Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    DJ Cam Cam wrote: »
    If that is how the game was intended to be played then it's not what I want in the game. It just doesn't sit right with me. YMMV. I don't care for it at all. I guess I won't be scoring 149 million anytime soon.
    Then play it the way you want to play it. If any of the other SSX games had the same online play as this one you would see the exact same thing happening.

• Options
    Yeah I'm not seeing any sort of exploits going on there, the guy strings together like a 150+ combo going down the hill using every single part of the mountain. That's what the instructions tell you to do when you jump out of the chopper.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    A little over 200 songs on my SSX playlist and this has been absolutely the best fit by far

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZEWU9VG4TY

I also hit my highest combo to this song, it actually lasted nearly the entire run - I remember hitting the finish line and thinking "Whoa"

• Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Nothing like logging in and getting 200K from 133 ghost wins
    or like abusing the wingsuit to beat a friend's time and then feeling like crap and then trying to beat your own time legitly and getting really close but not winning

Edit: I have atoned for my sins and beat my cheating self fairly

gunwarrior on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Alright, custom Global Event created for 360.

When: Now! Until 6 PM Central on Thursday.
    Where: Alps, Grand Collat peak, Hard Currency drop
    What: Survive It, 10,000 drop cost. Level 2 armor, no rewinds.

To play it: go to the run, go to the Plus sign, and you'll see "SkyTurnsRed." Add me if you haven't but want to do the event. gogogogogo.

SkyTurnsRed on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    Nobody on my friend's list is allowed to watch the video ghost whistler posted.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    QuintileQuintile Registered User regular
    Gamertag - Quintilex

I'm gonna add a bunch of you who have posted your gamertags... it should be fun to have some people to compete against!

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    SSX Get! Add me on the 360 as "DeathofRats 360". Can't wait to see you guys on ridernet!

No I don't.
  • Options

Hmm, well that breaks some of my assumptions about how to play the Tricks sections. I will have to try some of that stuff out, maybe I can get my scores out of the Bronze / Silver gutter.

Best thing about that video is the helicopter pilot talking shit. Apparently they didn't program the AI to pick up when you are sitting on a fat combo.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    TheScruple wrote: »
    I don't know how I feel about the gear perks in this. I spent a good thirty minutes trying to best someones time today and then gave up went back to the gear screen, reloaded it several times until I got a faster board and then blew past him the first try. (Sorry TheScruple)

It's weird to mix skill based gameplay with, oh this guy is going to beat you always because his board gives him a major advantage, makes the skill part feel hollow. Also I'm not sure what effect leveling up has.

Just saw this, and yeah, I agree with you. I'm pretty terrible at racing, but the equipment I bought (Suit perk: Extra Tricky Time, Level 10 board with Perk: Bonus Boost) basically means I earn Gold if I don't crash, fall down or get stuck doing loops in a tunnel. In races you've already run, I'd actually slow down to watch your ghost to figure out your lines, then use my extra speed to try to make up the difference. I fully expected that once you got better equipment, you'd make my times look silly.

On one hand, it's good to feel accomplished by getting a few golds, but it does feel cheap, since I don't feel like I actually learn anything by winning, "press R2 to win, don't crash" was all I needed.

Hey someone is watching my ghost. That's cool.

There is defiantly skill involved, like today I was trying to be BlitzAce1981 score on the short version of Serenity (Fast forward? which I think you have the best score on right now) and I oversteered briefly and it cost me a second, which was enough for me to lose to his score by 10 ms. The skill in racing boils down to find the fastest lines (which sometimes feels like a waste to explore because from what I've seen there is usually 1 or 2 good paths while the rest suck) and executing perfectly.

But when your scores are a few seconds apart a faster board is going to make big difference as well. I'm buying level 10 stuff now, but the boards are getting more expensive and the bonuses are less of an upgrade at this point, I wonder if everyone just levels off after awhile and all that is left is skill. But from a design perspective, why not just start with that? Maybe they felt like they needed that upgrade hook.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Probably to make credits valuable and give you a reason to compete with friends, do global events, and place geotags. The differences between boards at level 10 aren't really a big issue imo, its the perks that seem to have the largest effect.

gunwarrior on