As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Robots in Disguise (Transformers 4! Coming June 29th 2014)

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Do we know when The Hub puts up episodes of Prime? I didn't catch last night's ep.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    where the fuck did my post go

anyway

you are being

incredibly shallow

big fucking woop that its animation wasnt the best

the plots were some of the best in transformers cartoon history

meanwhile prime has decent animation and mediocre plots

they literally killed the god of evil by the end of season 1

where do you go from there

why were there no crises of faith

how do you go on to just fighting megatron and the decepticons when you literally kill the god of evil whose blood corrupted your planet

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Animated had better characterization, and better storylines.

And it also had restrictions, due to it's timeslot, that meant they could never actually go as far with them as I wanted them to.

Prime has poorer plotlines, but I like what they'e done with them far more than I enjoyed anything in Animated, for the following reasons:

I want robots to fucking shoot each other, not constantly whip out melee weapons and find other workarounds to avoid using imitatable violence as much as possible most of the time. (I was sincerely pissed when Megatron pulled a fast one and punched starscream instead of actually using his goddamn gun on Prime at point-blank range.)

I want characters to take themselves seriously, not act like goofy idiots.

I want actual violence, not dudes just attempting to swing at each other and doing pratfalls for laughs.

Prime does all of these things, and does it while looking really good to boot.

I don't see anything shallow about that.

Goatmon on

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    They didn't kill Unicron.

They put him back into stasis and mention quite specifically that he's not dead and cannot be outright killed due to being, you know, Earth. He will be back.

Honestly 90% of the Prime complaints reek of people just reading plot summaries on Wikipedia and going MEH. Even if the plot lines aren't as interesting, at least the production quality, voice acting, and animation are miles above the poopfest that was Animated. Doesn't matter how good your characterizations are if watching the actual program makes me want to punch my own senses to death.

And please, enough about Cliffjumper. I cannot believe people were actually surprised. When a company says "hey we got The Rock (or another large celebrity) to be a voice on the new show and he's playing a moderately beloved character", there are two things you need to instantly know. 1) That character will appear once a season, and/or 2) that character will die. No celebrity as successful as The Rock is going to voice someone on any cartoon other than say The Simpsons for any appreciable length of time. It's the equivalent of having celebrities as love interests in sitcoms. Unless Matt Damon is now joining the cast of Friends, the relationship ain't gonna last. I'm honestly surprised Adam Baldwin stuck around as long as he did, and he's not The Rock.

Ceno on
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Animated had better characterization, and better storylines.

And it also had restrictions, due to it's timeslot, that meant they could never actually go as far with them as I wanted them to.
    Animated did some fairly mature things. Prime is no more mature than Animated, and likely less so.

Prime has poorer plotlines, but I like what they'e done with them far more than I enjoyed anything in Animated, for the following reasons:

I want robots to fucking shoot each other, not constantly whip out melee weapons and find other workarounds to avoid using imitatable violence as much as possible most of the time. (I was sincerely pissed when Megatron pulled a fast one and punched starscream instead of actually using his goddamn gun on Prime at point-blank range.)
    I don't understand this, at all. Melee violence is much more imitatable than laser weapons. Laser weapons are usually the work around for PG violence. And Megatron does use his cannon on Starscream later in the show. Multiple times.

You prefer shooting to melee? Okay. What does that have to do with the show's quality? Besides, the only real violence in Prime has been melee. Yes, there are lasers. Lasers that harmlessly miss and bounce off of armor.
    They do. There's humor, but there is a lot of seriousness.

Prime featured Bulkhead screaming in a high-pitched voice because he got tangled in wires.
    I want actual violence, not dudes just attempting to swing at each other and doing pratfalls for laughs.

Animated featured a living character being crushed. And a character being blown to bits.Multiple times. And a character having his arm ripped off. And I don't recall pratfalls.
    Prime does all of these things, and does it while looking really good to boot.

I don't see anything shallow about that.

I guess we'll agree to disagree on this, but I don't think it makes sense to completely dismiss Animated as less mature because it's 2-D animation.

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I don't understand this, at all. Melee violence is much more imitatable than laser weapons. Laser weapons are usually the work around for PG violence. And Megatron does use his cannon on Starscream later in the show. Multiple times.

You prefer shooting to melee? Okay. What does that have to do with the show's quality? Besides, the only real violence in Prime has been melee. Yes, there are lasers. Lasers that harmlessly miss and bounce off of armor.

Heh, you got me there.

They do. There's humor, but there is a lot of seriousness.

Prime featured Bulkhead screaming in a high-pitched voice because he got tangled in wires.

Eh, I have no problem with occasional goofiness, as long as it is only occasional. It was a lot more prevalent in Animated and it did nothing for me.

Goatmon on

• Options
    Okay, fair point. I like humor, so it didn't bother me too much.

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    y'know what's great

watching clips of transformers with youtube subtitles on

29yqc8h.png

• Options
    I guess we'll agree to disagree on this, but I don't think it makes sense to completely dismiss Animated as less mature because it's 2-D animation.

The animation is indicative of the show's direction, not necessarily it's maturity. And even if it was, that would be a symptom of the problem, not the cause.

It's just a pet peeve of mine, is all.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    BugBoy wrote: »
    y'know what's great

watching clips of transformers with youtube subtitles on

29yqc8h.png

G1TFsubtitles.png

G1TFsubtitles2.png

Goatmon on

• Options
    wwfdk4.png

1zmi494.png

vd3eoj.png

• Options
    xn7uhi.png

• Options
    ahahah, I'm not sure I can top that last one.

• Options
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    motor master is a terrifying villain
    jqqo0m.png

google autocaption isn't much for sci-fi
    1zn8pwx.png

if you thought arcee was the only ladybot on optimus prime's squad, think again
    24v7155.png

megatron wants what?
    a321l.png

• Options
    BugBoy wrote: »
    megatron wants what?
    a321l.png
    he wants

seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGSVYgcy24Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdutKJGe56E

• Options

Can I get you something for lunch, Megatron?
    5w9ukn.png

The Quintesson denies all charges.
    2wno3sg.png

Galvatron does not think Octane is a very good teacher.
    6nxtv6.png

Tell us something cool, Scrapper!
    5337va.png

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Finally saw Armada ... good episode. Fast paced but decently paced, it didn't try to wrap itself up too quickly. So yeah, new plot points:
    Megs has an Insecticon army (big brutes?), Jet Vehicons (air support), and Vehicons (foot soldiers)
    Wonder how long the Nemesis will be grounded ... not very, guessing by the next episode preview.
    Meh, without the quirky personality differences, I'm not mourning the quick loss of the clones

Also, figured out a way they could've fixed the Insecticon Ninja syndrome; Arcee fought one by herself. Fine, okay she struggled, but it's also a brute and they could've written something like starving for energon. But when Megs had to fight one, that's what threw everything apart. They should've had Megs weakened or immobilized or something prior, to make up the difference. Then come this episode, it wouldn't have been a big thing that they were getting shot left and right. And, to be fair, they were more getting shot and crashing, rather than actually dieing or being defeated. Most of those probably limped away.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    Finally saw Armada ... good episode. Fast paced but decently paced, it didn't try to wrap itself up too quickly. So yeah, new plot points:
    Meh, without the quirky personality differences, I'm not mourning the quick loss of the clones
    I'm just wondering what the point of introducing them was, especially in the episode focused on Insecticons attacking the Nemesis.

That part of the plot could've been cut entirely.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    I'm just wondering what the point of introducing them was, especially in the episode focused on Insecticons attacking the Nemesis.

Yeah they could've been flushed out so much better in their own episode ... BUT it would've also had been just as predictable, and they did lend themselves to some plot advances; Starscream fixing himself (probably) for one. Eh, on the fence about it. Now if they started having all these differences and arguing and debating about different helmets then fuck I'd be pissed.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    edited April 2012

Yeah they could've been flushed out so much better in their own episode ... BUT it would've also had been just as predictable, and they did lend themselves to some plot advances; Starscream fixing himself (probably) for one. Eh, on the fence about it. Now if they started having all these differences and arguing and debating about different helmets then fuck I'd be pissed.

considering how much Hasbro loves Prime and their budget
    They could've had time to do something that Animated wanted to do but failed to do; show the personalities of the clones evolve, become complete characters on their own, not just defined as a personality trait of Starscream.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular

Good to see someone having some fun with the cheap Protectobot knockoffs I found at Big Lots a few years back.

I wish mine came disassembled. I'm pretty sure I could have done a better job on the assembly.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    143999 wrote: »

Good to see someone having some fun with the cheap Protectobot knockoffs I found at Big Lots a few years back.

I wish mine came disassembled. I'm pretty sure I could have done a better job on the assembly.

those aren't cheap protectobot knockoffs

those are cheap candy toys from japan

officially licenced recreations of the protectobots with modern engineering that you assemble yourself

in addition, two new members of the team, that can make different combinations with the other Protectobots
    http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Gaia_Guardian
    http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Skyfeather
    http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Heatrock

I wont lie

I fucking love Skyfeather and his transformation into the upper torso/head of Gaia Guardian

he does exactly what an aircraft did in Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue for the Lightspeed Megazord

• Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    I took a look, and sure enough, Fake Defensor is the only one of those knockoffs I kept.

oLgGI.jpg

It's probably for the best, though, as the plastic and build qualities on these are hideous. First Aid's foot hole snapped under Defensor's weight, and I doubt he'll be able to do anything about it.

g7oLA.jpg

That's not even a word, First Aid.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Megs has an Insecticon army (big brutes?), Jet Vehicons (air support), and Vehicons (foot soldiers)
    Wonder how long the Nemesis will be grounded ... not very, guessing by the next episode preview.

Also, figured out a way they could've fixed the Insecticon Ninja syndrome; Arcee fought one by herself. Fine, okay she struggled, but it's also a brute and they could've written something like starving for energon. But when Megs had to fight one, that's what threw everything apart. They should've had Megs weakened or immobilized or something prior, to make up the difference. Then come this episode, it wouldn't have been a big thing that they were getting shot left and right. And, to be fair, they were more getting shot and crashing, rather than actually dieing or being defeated. Most of those probably limped away.
    This episode would have been perfect if not for retconning the Insecticons.

They could have at least made a comment on how much wimpier they were compared to the last one, or something.

Ah well. Least Scream's got a new T-Cog out of the deal.

Also I loved that line at the end with Bulkhead

"You guys would NOT believe the day I just had!"

*Sees Airachnid in a statis cocoon*

"...You too, huh?"

Goatmon on

• Options
    I'll never understand autocaption technology

it can get cybertron correctly, but in the very next sentence it reads "join us!" as "chili davis!"

• Options
    brooooooo

I need to show you somethinggggggggggg

talk to me

• Options
    wwwwhy did nobody inform me there's an insecticon combiner that becomes a train

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that was brought up here before. Since it sounds familiar. I think I remember looking up pictures.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    The Hearts of Steel train with the Unicron cow catcher? Yeah, we've spoken of it. Fondly.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    it's amazing

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    And please, enough about Cliffjumper. I cannot believe people were actually surprised. When a company says "hey we got The Rock (or another large celebrity) to be a voice on the new show and he's playing a moderately beloved character", there are two things you need to instantly know. 1) That character will appear once a season, and/or 2) that character will die. No celebrity as successful as The Rock is going to voice someone on any cartoon other than say The Simpsons for any appreciable length of time. It's the equivalent of having celebrities as love interests in sitcoms. Unless Matt Damon is now joining the cast of Friends, the relationship ain't gonna last. I'm honestly surprised Adam Baldwin stuck around as long as he did, and he's not The Rock.

In fairness (at the time, I've more or less moved on and now appreciate the show despite that happening), weren't they pitching Cliffjumper like a main character in the promos for the show? At the expense of actual regulars, like Arcee, Bulkhead, and Ratchet? (Was Prime himself even featured?)

Once a season? I'd be cool with that, even if it was in place of Wheeldrift.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    If you want to give your show's voice acting long-term lasting impact, you don't bring in Dwayne The Rock Johnson for your premiere and then kill off his character. What you do is you bring in recognizably famous voices from areas other than Hollywood A-listers so that twenty years from now, your nostalgic fanbase can say, "Can you believe they got so-and-so to be that guy?"

See also: Scatman Crothers, Kasey Casem, Orson Welles, etc.

8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    There are also plenty of opportunities for him to return. I'm hoping for a two or three part flashback that takes us back to the war on Cybertron. Cliffjumper could play a big role in something like that.

I'm kind of surprised we haven't see any time travel as well. There are lots of narrative tropes that could bring back old characters.

• Options
    Next time on transformers prime

Miko accidentally gets lost in the timestream while screwing around with the ground bridge. Watch as her meddling causes numerous key events, including the death of cliffjumper, the death of tailgate, and the autobot/decepticon schism itself.

• Options
    HEY GUYS G1 IS ON NETFLIX INSTANT NOW

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I'd be down for an "everything bad ever is Miko's fault" episode.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I'd be down for an "everything bad ever is Miko's fault" episode.

Ever taken a good long look at Sari's and Miko's hairstyles?

Miko is clearly Shattered Glass Sari.

• Options
    Ceno wrote: »
    HEY GUYS G1 IS ON NETFLIX INSTANT NOW

I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING TONIGHT

STUDYING FOR TESTS

BUT THIS FRIDAY, I WILL BE WATCHING THIS

• Options
    Shattered glass Sari is a real thing, officially designed

she ripped out her dad's eye

This discussion has been closed.