As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Share your peculiar gaming habits/rituals!

AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur.Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Games and Technology
In this thread we discuss and share some of our odd behaviors in regards to gaming. To kick things off, and to provide examples, here are a few of my odd habits.

When I get a new game I have to stop everything. Hell, if work wasn't so important I'd probably turn off my phone too! I don't just stop everything either, I have to make sure everything is just right before I begin playing. Do I have snacks and drinks handy? Check. Is the spot I am sitting at comfortable? Check! Is the lighting in the room just so? Check! Once I am settled in and have everything perfect that's when I start the game.

I cannot play games during the day. I have to play them in the evening. I'm not just talking about stuff like work or things that need to get done around my house keeping me from playing. I mean even when I have a day off and have literally nothing important to do I still can't bring myself to play. I'll flip through the TV, surf the net, otherwise just be bored and I still cannot get in to a game before 6pm! I think since I cannot normally play during the day do to work and chores I have conditioned myself to only being able to game in the evening. Unless of course it is a brand new game, then see above.

When it comes to RPGs, notably JRPGs, I do not read the manual until I am pretty far in to the game. Why? Mainly because I've had the actual manual spoil parts of the freaking story. Usually little things, like a sceenshot showing off combat and describing the UI, but whats that? That dude who is in the player's party is the freaking badguy! Why is here there? Fuck. So I tend to stay away from manuals for fear of spoilers.

So share on! What peculiarities do you exhibit when it comes to gaming?

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
Axen on

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    I have to wander around the house and make sure there's nothing that I need to get done before I set down to play a new game. Dishes done? Cats fed? Etc...

Otherwise i'm constantly up as I remember there are things that need to get done and feel entirely too lazy if I put them off to play games.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Not sure if this counts, but when buying a disc based game, even as far back as PS1, I refuse to get anything without the original case and manual. It drives me crazy. When I go to gamestop to get a used PS3 game, if it has one of those ugly generic gamestop cases, it's a deal breaker for me.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    I feel compelled to play shitty games over good ones. What is wrong with me?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i can't lend out games anymore, unless i trust the person. turns out even good friends can lose your games (or take them to germany)

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Any time I get a new game I always just throw the manual and case out immediately without never reading it, something I've been doing since I was a kid because I've always figured that instructions are bitches.

All my discs go into my various binders sorted via game system because otherwise I'd have to devote an entire wall to housing my collection >.>

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Shady3011 wrote: »

Hi-5!

My Gamefly Queue is always 50% crappy games and 50% decent/good games.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote:
    Any time I get a new game I always just throw the manual and case out immediately without never reading it, something I've been doing since I was a kid because I've always figured that instructions are bitches.

All my discs go into my various binders sorted via game system because otherwise I'd have to devote an entire wall to housing my collection >.>

This makes me sad. :(

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    When I go into the options of the game looking to turn on subtitles, I make guesses in my head as to whether it's under Game Options, Display Options or Sound Options.

I'm right usually 50% of the time

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Hah, that reminds me of another oddity of mine.

When buying an older game I try to not get the Greatest Hits (or its equivalent) version. Why? Because when I put the case in my book shelve deal, it bugs me to no end that one of them doesn't match the rest. Even now, the GH version of Demon Soul's mocks me with it's red markings as it sits next to all my other black/grey PS3 game cases. :P

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote:
    TOGSolid wrote:

I've got something ridiculous like 500 discs floating around. I was not exageratting when I said "an entire wall."

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I used to do that, but binders will seriously fuck up your discs

Also I kept the cases and manuals, it was just for transport purposes really

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote:
    anoffday wrote:
    TOGSolid wrote:

I've got something ridiculous like 500 discs floating around. I was not exageratting when I said "an entire wall."

I understand the space issue, but a wall full of games looks awesome to me.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Axen wrote:
    Hah, that reminds me of another oddity of mine.

When buying an older game I try to not get the Greatest Hits (or its equivalent) version. Why? Because when I put the case in my book shelve deal, it bugs me to no end that one of them doesn't match the rest. Even now, the GH version of Demon Soul's mocks me with it's red markings as it sits next to all my other black/grey PS3 game cases. :P

yeah, all of the 360 platinum hits titles I own have been swapped into standard green cases. (I had a few from the sherlock holmes promo a few years backs + a few salvaged from trade-ins)

• Options
    Man, I love the red Greatest Hits cases

I wish I could turn them all to that

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    i can't lend out games anymore, unless i trust the person. turns out even good friends can lose your games (or take them to germany)

I let someone borrow my copy of Sonic Unleashed just after I got it (because I wasn't planning to play it until I finished a couple of other games) and then he moved away

I only got to play the first two levels :(

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I like to play half to three quarters of a game, get bored or just busy doing something else, and then watch lets plays on youtube to see the ending.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Just some quick notes based on what I read in the thread so far:
    1) I never buy used.
    2) I, too, turn on subtitles whenever possible.
    3) I check for a sound test mode.
    4) I'm either dead-set on finishing a game, or I flounder and never finish it or get far into it to begin with.

My 5)th point is one I actually care to discuss at length. I even wrote a blog entry about this. To summarize, after I've beaten a game a couple times (or once if there's really no alternate paths / options of playstyle), my following playthroughs are based on two things: first, and I always do this, is abusing game mechanics to turn the game on its head. Like exposing balance issues, or easily performed glitches, that sorta thing. Just totally wrecking any semblance of a challenge by using the game's faults against it as much as possible. One example of this is, say, an RPG (a short one), I'll find the most efficient means of leveling and just power through, then wreck the game with a lot of "tee hee, using this spell WAY early!" Another example is in Castlevania (Metroidvania) games, canceling attack animations with landing from a jump, and back-sliding and canceling that animation with an attack. Just... weird nuances like that. Hell I even did it in Valkyria Chronicles; the straight up soldier class, with a machine gun, was the mainstay of my attack teams. I'd just run them up point blank to enemies and head shot. Or run around behind tanks and unload point-blank into their weak spot.

Gimmicky playthroughs are another thing I dabble in when there's options. Like this time I'll use the slow two-handed mace weapons. Or this time I'll be a pure-offensive caster. Dumb shit like that.

I just like to explore every angle of a game possible, whether the game itself is good or bad. It's a neat way to get perspective on video game designs, or how the same system can be different in one game from the other.

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Oh, one thing I always do when I turn on a game for the first time is check out the options menu and try out everything. I love options. I'm always really disappointed when I get a game and there's no options menu, or it's just stupid stuff like sound mode or whatever.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Actually before checking the forum tonight I was partaking in my dumb exploitative-play thing. KotOR2 to be exact (I got a restoration mod and want to see stuff first hand as I go through, so I may as well 'cheat' without cheating).

In this case it means playing a sentinel with 16 Int to start, flatten out the negative bonus on Dex, Wis, and Cha, and then just pump up Con and Str as you play. Nothing else. Make the switch to a weapon master or marauder at level 15, and you can pretty much 1) craft every item and upgrade in the game and 2) you kill everything really fast. You don't need the Wis / Cha bonuses for force powers because the character-level bonus outweighs what either of those modifiers could do by a large margin. And Dex wouldn't add to your defense much anyway. Just run through with a double-bladed saber, crit-striking everything like a fucking maniac.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Oh another one.

When I travel I find myself playing games I wouldn't otherwise play or haven't touched in a long time. Not sure why, but it doesn't matter if I've been balls deep in the latest AAA title the second I leave town I can't bring myself to play it and instead work on my backlog.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I hate spoilers. Having a game spoiled will make me not even play it. Even if its a game wherein I'm completely ignoring the story anyway. I almost didn't finish Bastion because some asshats decided to spoil some random bits of it. (They just said 'lol you don't have to read it!!1.' Ya, so I textdumped the ending of AssCreed revelations into the chatroom. I got banned from there, but totally worth it.)

I can only seem to really game well when I'm tired. After getting off work, badly in need of sleep and have to be up in a few hours? Sounds like the perfect time to grind some items or beat that stage! I can play normally at other times but I tend to not do as well/get distracted easily. Exhaustion is my gaming ambrosia.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I always read the manual first.

Oh...right...

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Shady3011 wrote:

I'm playing Neverdead right now, so I can agree with this.

It's actually fun.

Also rule number one of starting a new level, always go back first instead of forward, there's usually an item there.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:

Oh...right...

I do too, but nothing about how to play the game. Just all the extra fluff about the setting and characters. <.<

Remember when game manuals use to be super cool and detailed? Especially PC games.

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:

Oh...right...

Your game came with a manual?

• Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I am extremely OCD and am the kind of person that Skyrim can extend by 5 times as much as other people because I habitually raid every chest/cupboard/etc. that I can. Everything. And I have to talk to everyone and map out every place that I go.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Subtitles are an absolute must for me as I sometimes have To play without sound due to getting called away to help family members. Doesn't matter if its 3am or pm, chances are I'm playing with either one headphone on or none at all.

Thats another thing: headphones. Cannot use speakers for shit now. Its so freaky. Even with the Wii, I have to set the headphones up. I feel like I'm missing lots of sounds without them.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote:
    Subtitles are an absolute must for me as I sometimes have To play without sound due to getting called away to help family members. Doesn't matter if its 3am or pm, chances are I'm playing with either one headphone on or none at all.

Thats another thing: headphones. Cannot use speakers for shit now. Its so freaky. Even with the Wii, I have to set the headphones up. I feel like I'm missing lots of sounds without them.
    i too use subtitles, but often because i'm talking in a XBLparty so i can't hear the dialouge. agreed on the headphones thing, though since mine die all the time i end up cranking the volume on my TV.

• Options
    I read game manuals in the bathtub. Don't judge me.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I have to get up and wash my face and hands after an hour of gaming. I just feel really sticky and gross but a quick face and hand wash always sorts me out and it's always 60 minutes apart (give or take maybe 5 minutes)

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Gotta get a pile of beers in for a decent game!

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    I have a certain phobia of spending too much time on a game. The idea of three hours going by playing intimidates me and prevents me from playing games requiring an amount of time investment. Like mission-based games in RTS's, where I know it'll take an hour to get the whole thing done. As opposed to team FPS stuff like TF2, where I can just join up and start doing stuff and can hop off at any time.

Although usually in TF2 I don't notice three hours going by. So usually TF2 takes up more of my time than some RTS. But I never learn this lesson.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm with you there man, "can't play Skyrim because I'll be playing for three hours."

Then I go and play Iron Brigade for three hours instead...

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    I can't help min-maxing and figuring out the most game breaking or otherwise brutally efficient builds. It becomes problematic when 3 hours into a game I discover you can get a higher-level reward (usually a weapon two or three levels above your current level) early on, but I missed it. Or a more efficient order of upgrades or something, as I will restart until I perfect the opening acts.

Fun times, I do enjoy it so.

• Options
    I like to do this too. Especially in games like Super Mario RPG and FFVII. Grinding and becoming powerful so bosses are too easy.

I also like to cheat a lot. Starting up games like Blood or Duke 3D and turning god mode on and having a blast.

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Whenever I buy a game I tuck the receipt into the case, behind the manual. If I buy multiple games at a time I keep the receipt with the most expensive one.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Andy Joe wrote:
    Whenever I buy a game I tuck the receipt into the case, behind the manual. If I buy multiple games at a time I keep the receipt with the most expensive one.

This is my favorite post in this thread so far, because I don't know anyone who does this (though now I get to say, "I saw this dude post on a forum once").

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I won't play games when other people are watching. Either they'll try and talk to me while I'm playing or they'll back seat drive, both of which drive me crazy.

I also play most games with the sound either off or way down, which is mostly just conditioning from years of living with roommates and playing games late at night. But it saves me from the generally terrible quality of video game music/voiceovers.

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    I too have a hard time playing while being watched. I tend to get too self-conscious while playing and that tends to make me screw up more. Nothing is more awkward than having Commander Shepard start flirting with Garrus while a roommate watches who isn't really into video games.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I have a huge problem with people watching me play games. I don't mind watching other people play, or talking to someone else while playing, but having someone just watch over my shoulder drives me crazy.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget