As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hero Academy] Tycho Brahe Memorial - Congrats Brew!

• Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So @Spruchy from Group A hasn't been playing his turns for the last 5 or so days. Spruchy, if you're reading this, let me know if you can continue. Otherwise, I'll have to count them as losses.

Edit: You have 24 hours from when this was first posted. We can't wait any longer.

If anyone other group has a player who's gone AWOL, let me know. If/when I do something like this again, I'll have to have a "dead game" rule. (Hopefully, Robot will have added that to the game by then.)

Jacoby on
    GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Is anyone else getting a constant failure to retrieve games error? I can see the badge telling me I have games to play but I can't load my games.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Won one game against MikeDanger. I *think* I have the next game in the bag, but we'll see.

AxenPA never started his game against me, and the game I started against him has been 3 days since the last move.

Edit: just saw what was going on for 38thdoe

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    38thDoe wrote:
    Is anyone else getting a constant failure to retrieve games error? I can see the badge telling me I have games to play but I can't load my games.

I'm not, but a quick Google check shows that others are. Robot Entertainment is working on it, but for now, fully closing the app (in the task bar) and restarting seems to work.

Edit: Restarting the phone also might work...

Jacoby on
  • Options
    Since hes's had a full 24 hours warning and hasn't responded, I'm ruling that Spruchy has forfeited any unfinished games, which finishes Group A. Congrats to GeorgeF and Sploozo!

• Options
    KSKKSK Registered User regular
    Hey all! If you guys start a new tourney, let me know! I'd love to get in! I just downloaded this like 2 days ago and haven't been able to put it down!

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Oh man, big balance changes as part of the patch.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Oh man, big balance changes as part of the patch.

Sweet. They seem subtle, but significant. I really like how much attention they're putting on the game as a competitive environment.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Can't complain at them, though it may have neutered my main attack plan somewhat.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    It's good that the Void Monk is getting a buff, he never feels very useful in his current state.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    BrewBrew Registered User regular
    I already love the fact that you can just click Next Game to take you to the next match waiting for your move. I'm facing up against some Dwarfs today, we'll see how they do. I think i'm going to hold off on purchasing them until after the turney since we are not using them and it would force me to not use Random at team selection going forward.

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options
    omg

Dwarves are insane. Kudos to the game designers for daring to make the teams play so wildly different.

• Options
    ben_botben_bot Registered User regular
    Been playing this avidly for the past few weeks. Great to play while sitting on the couch watching a TV show I don't care for.

Add me to your next game - BBBBenny

PSN: ben_bot
  • Options
    GeorgeFGeorgeF Registered User regular
    I support the Void Monk change - i pretty much just threw them into a crowd to do damage and left them to die. Their presence was annoying and sucked up enemy actions, but I didnt care if they died due to their general 'meh'-ness.

Torn on the Knight - they indeed were tanks, and they never seemed to do much damage. Only reason for their existence was to knock people off of critical areas and to suck up damage. Has anyone else really used them effectively as an offensive unit? Or are they just tanks to place on the 'Assault Boost' squares?

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Knights are amazing for holding crystal damage boost tiles, and for giving archers/clerics/wizards something to hide behind. Generally, they're only a threat offensively if there's a ninja on the board to swap in for damage dealing.

I did think knights needed a nerf; I just hope they didn't overdo it. Their goal of making it at least possible to kill and stomp them in one turn with a scroll makes me think they reduced them just enough.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    Here are the exact balance change numbers:
    • Knight -200 HP
    • Void Monk +1 movement; splash damage increase to 66%
    • Phantom -100 HP
    • Wizard +10% elemental resistance

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I have an irrational fear of void monks now thanks to you wonderpug, this balance change displeases me! Might have to switch to de myself.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    DiamondGFXDiamondGFX Registered User regular
    So, I am brand new to this, but I want to start playing it, so if anyone wants to break me in, so to speak :winky: then add me. My username is diamondgfx.

ain't got one
  • Options
    So a fully upgraded knight is 1200 HP vs 1440 previously.
    40% physical reduction puts him at 1680 effective HP vs an archer. Upgraded archer can now kill a full knight in 3 turns ( scroll + 2 shots) which i think is the same as a void monk. Knight loses some luster/uniqueness

steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Wait no that's wrong. Void monk doesn't get additional 20% physical resistance buff. Never mind. Carry on :)

Brew on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Has dwarves although having a damn terrible time connecting to the servers. Shit is sloow today.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I am liking the Dwarves so far. I have quite some time till I really know what to do with them. If anyone wants to play (that isn't in the tournament thingy), I am redfield85 in the game. Let me know you are a PA guy.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    So how exactly does shielding work? I get it makes 1 attack be ignored. But what exactly is the premium square thing with it?

• Options
    CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I think the wraith should have been buffed, not the voidmonk, and I main dark elves.

Also is it too late to get into the tourney? I'm uhh... pretty good.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    Dracil wrote: »
    So how exactly does shielding work? I get it makes 1 attack be ignored. But what exactly is the premium square thing with it?

Shielding and premium squares don't relate to each other. The engineer shield will negate one attack, and also prevent any pull/knockback on that attack.

The premium square thing is the racial bonus the whole Dwarf team gets, like how Council has better healing and Dark Elves have life leach. Dwarves get a 20% bigger benefit for any special tile they hold (attack bonus, defense bonus, crystal damage bonus).
    I think the wraith should have been buffed, not the voidmonk, and I main dark elves.

Crazy talk! :) When he's eaten 3 corpses and upgraded, he's almost unstoppable, and even before he's upgraded he in essence shields all other units from non-stomp knockouts, since your opponent will want to avoid giving you the opportunity to feed the wraith.

• Options
    CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

Crazy talk! :) When he's eaten 3 corpses and upgraded, he's almost unstoppable, and even before he's upgraded he in essence shields all other units from non-stomp knockouts, since your opponent will want to avoid giving you the opportunity to feed the wraith.

When he's eaten three corpses, he does the same damage as the ninjas melee attack, and lacks the ninja's ranged attack. Theres a huge risk factor with the wraith, but very little reward.

Without physical resistance he's very easy prey for archers at rank three, nevermind when he comes on to the battlefeild with 650 hitpoints.

I wouldn't buff him hugely, just say, let him get his first consume if he spawns on a corpse.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    I would agree with consume if spawn on corpse.

The one thing the wraith really has over the ninja is the ability to heal himself while killing units. If you don't kill the wraith, he'll heal to almost full just hitting you back if he has the +lifesteal item.

• Options
    I'm with you on getting him a consume if he spawns on a corpse. Seems like there's rarely any point in having him corpse-spawn since he starts out so vulnerable.

As far as ninja vs. wraith, the ninja clearly is more powerful out the gate, but compared to an upgraded and belly-full wraith, the wraith is hands down the better unit. The ninja is vulnerable unless you keep him hidden in the back, whereas the wraith can charge into the fray--and he can heal himself to full in a single turn while killing several units in the process. It's also a big advantage that the wraith does magic damage instead of physical, since it's harder to raise magic resistance and defense tiles don't mitigate his damage at all.

The lack of physical resistance is definitely a weak spot, but that's the case for the entire dark elf team. But that's why it's so important for elves to focus on killing archers (and the ninja, of course).

• Options
    Wait, you can throw him on the field through someone's dead body, not just the spawn point?!

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Wait, you can throw him on the field through someone's dead body, not just the spawn point?!

Correct. I have seldom if ever found the opportunity, though, because he is generally very weak when he spawns. I'm sure there could be a specific case where it would be huge, though, such as a one-hit KO on a damage buff square and then dropping the wraith in there to smash whatever is next to it and eat him.
    I just noticed that I just started a game with you, good luck!

Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options

Yeah, like schmads says it's very rarely useful. You pretty much need a situation with two corpses at once, adjacent to each other, neither of which you want to resurrect, close enough to a safe place to retreat, but far enough from your spawn point so you won't be better off spawning normally and eating both. So... not often.

• Options

Yeah, like schmads says it's very rarely useful. You pretty much need a situation with two corpses at once, adjacent to each other, neither of which you want to resurrect, close enough to a safe place to retreat, but far enough from your spawn point so you won't be better off spawning normally and eating both. So... not often.

He's also useful as a distraction when you're deep in enemy territory. You kill someone with an upgraded unit and cant run away far enough, it's probably worth spawning a wraith in front of you. Wraith will probably get killed the next turn but your buffed unit can survive. It's situation but I've done that successfully once or twice :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    schmads wrote: »

Correct. I have seldom if ever found the opportunity, though, because he is generally very weak when he spawns. I'm sure there could be a specific case where it would be huge, though, such as a one-hit KO on a damage buff square and then dropping the wraith in there to smash whatever is next to it and eat him.

You will beat me handedly. I still have no strategies for any of the classes. Any good sites out there with class strategies? Like, good stuff. Pretty in-depth.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    I broke. I bought the dark elves and dwarves. I successfully resisted the dark elves because I wasn't yet sold on the app. However in the intervening time, I've had a blast playing you fine gents and I was holding out for another team.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    And with that loss to Dracil, I think I've completed all my tournament games (at least, all the ones I initiated are done). I won one to AxenPA (not sure how, I think that it might have been an autoresign thing?) and lost everything else. I feel like I've learned a lot, though (and maybe I'll even beat wonderpug's dwarves (I probably won't))

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    redfield85 wrote:
    Any good sites out there with class strategies? Like, good stuff. Pretty in-depth.

This blog has some good stuff beyond the basics.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Mike, can you check the standings image in the OP and see if everything looks right? You lost all your games except one against Axen, right? That's how I entered it.

Jacoby on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    So won both games against MikeDanger. You're definitely getting better, as I thought I was gonna lose one of the games and was down to my last unit!

Dracil on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    So just to recap where I am at.

Won 2 vs Dracil
    Won 2 vs Mike Danger
    Lost 2 vs Wonderpug
    Won 1 Lost 1 vs 38thdoe
    lost 1 vs AxenPA

Which leaves just one match to finish AxenPA.

• Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    schmads wrote: »

You will beat me handedly. I still have no strategies for any of the classes. Any good sites out there with class strategies? Like, good stuff. Pretty in-depth.

I've seen a reasonable amount of strategy discussion on the official forums, but I haven't looked around much. There are some nifty spreadsheets on the forums with damage calculations and to help keep track of the pieces in play. I keep too many games running at once to see much use in it, but I could see wanting to keep track of everything in a tournament game.

Personally, I'm playing random and just trying things to see what works and what doesn't. I don't have any strategy that goes beyond one or two turns, because the game is still too unpredictable for me, especially with the new race to learn. Every time I think I've got a plan, I get punished by someone who saw it coming, or simply had a better plan (painful, but always a learning experience). I would love to see some deep strategy discussion along the lines of Starcraft, though.

The simplest strategy that I've seen discussed relates back to the spreadsheet I mentioned. Basically, keep track of how many scrolls the other player has used, how many healers they have, and whether they still have a super unit. The actual spreadsheet seems like too much work, but if you try and remember a few things about each game (or put them in the chat, as a way of keeping per-game notes), this could give you an edge over someone like me that just plays the games across days with no long-term memory.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671