As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hero Academy] Tycho Brahe Memorial - Congrats Brew!

• Options
    rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    ooohh keeping notes in the chat is a neat idea I hadn't thought of. Right now I have 20+ games going and don't keep track of anything.

I've recently decided my main focus when playing against humans, above board position or destroying gems is killing and stomping human healers, especially if they show up on the board early on in the game. The benefit is amazing if you can catch a human player with no healers because you've killed all 3 or you've killed 1 or 2 and the rest havent come up yet from their bag.

I get frustrated at the low level of random games sometimes. I will have someone knock-out a spec'd necro of mine and they still have actions left and they waste them spawning new players or moving forward other pieces instead of stomping my guy. Then my DE healer rezzes him from 3 squares away and then he spends the next 4 actions beating the crap out of some units from 3 squares away and healing himself back up at the same time (with the amulet on to boot).

rockmonkey on
    NEWrockzomb80.jpg
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    rockmonkey wrote: »
    ooohh keeping notes in the chat is a neat idea I hadn't thought of. Right now I have 20+ games going and don't keep track of anything.

I've recently decided my main focus when playing against humans, above board position or destroying gems is killing and stomping human healers, especially if they show up on the board early on in the game. The benefit is amazing if you can catch a human player with no healers because you've killed all 3 or you've killed 1 or 2 and the rest havent come up yet from their bag.

I get frustrated at the low level of random games sometimes. I will have someone knock-out a spec'd necro of mine and they still have actions left and they waste them spawning new players or moving forward other pieces instead of stomping my guy. Then my DE healer rezzes him from 3 squares away and then he spends the next 4 actions beating the crap out of some units from 3 squares away and healing himself back up at the same time (with the amulet on to boot).

I find that killing the Dwarf healers (Paladins? I think of them as Valkyries in my head) is even more effective, because they don't have any other way of doing it. Both other races have some item they can use to get two (or more in the case of DEs with multiple KOs) bonus rezzes, but if you take out all of the paladins, Dwarves are screwed. Of course, they also double as the tanky characters with lots of health and self-healing when they heal others, so if the player is smart, they won't be very vulnerable.

Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Are you saying I am not smart? Huh? HUH?!

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Are you saying I am not smart? Huh? HUH?!

Hahah, sorry, I didn't mean it that way at all! I don't think anyone is very familiar with how the dwarves play yet, nor did I recall that THAT game was against you! No insult was intended, but I think hope you know that :)

I feel like that game so far has given you some really bad draws. The drawn hand of reinforcements makes this play sort of like poker, where you can play aggressively and hope the other person didn't get the cards they need. When it works, awesome! When it doesn't, I end up losing units I left in exposed positions, hoping that the target wouldn't get rez'd and then wreck me.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    Oh yea. I had only the engineer dwarf in my inventory after you massacred all my guys I think. Wasn't very helpful. And you have two healers. Oiy. Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I don't fear the Dwarf Healers so much, but those Grenadiers. WHOO.

They scary.

• Options
    I don't even like the Grenadiers. I am all shotgun/rockets. I wish I could trade Grenadiers for other stuff.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I love the grenadiers. I generally love all the long-range units. Sit back and AOE their crystals to death while also killing their units. It effectively gives them a range of 4 or 5 as long as there's something 3 range connected. Even better when you do it on a map where you're sitting on the crystal damage square.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Yeah, unit positioning is more important than ever against dwarves. Woops, can't go there, he'll aoe my crystal, woops really can't go there, he'll aoe my other crystal from a purple tile... hmm....

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    The Random opponents I've started games with aren't very on top of playing their turns

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I move that dwarves not be allowed in the current tourney on account of grenadiers being obscenely over powered.

Went from ten ahead and perfect crystal health to unwinnable in one turn.

I could just be bad but seems much more powerful than the other races.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    That Grenadier, left uncountered, is a game-wrecker.

Or winner, depending on what side you're on.

• Options
    AthemicAthemic Gent, BelgiumRegistered User regular
    Is the tournament over? Or is there still a way to join?
    Would love to play with you guys.

Ingame name is Athemic.
    Feel free to inv me.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Imperfect wrote: »
    That Grenadier, left uncountered, is a game-wrecker.

Or winner, depending on what side you're on.

Which is okay for the super unit but to have to face three of them.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    CanisAquilusCanisAquilus Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Its just about positioning with the grenadier. Have your troops deployed right and he's just a necromancer without stomp.

If a grenadier is totally wrecking you, odds are a good portion of the blame is yours.

CanisAquilus on
  • Options
    Maybe? But I seem to be an unfair amount of wrecking WITH him, as well, against opponents I respect.

Perhaps it's entirely because people aren't used to him yet, and don't give him the same wide berth that say, a gold-bow archer would demand.

• Options
    Man, the difference in skill level between y'all and randoms is quite high. Aside from my very first game, I have not lost to a random opponent (and I won the next 2 games against him). I think I'm 50/50 with PA folks.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    How many games are we waiting on for round 2 to start? It's been a while.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    One game in Group D (Sniper Guy vs. Beltaine) and several in Group B (mostly involving 38thDoE, who's already explained his problems, and Axen). I'm hoping those won't take too long, but I'm going to institute a maximum time between turns for Round 2.

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    All my games are complete. Or so I thought....

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    Yeah c'mon Group B get crackin.

Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    Does anyone like the new map? It feels like it pigeon-holes the way the match proceeds, rather than the fairly open-ended nature of all the other maps.

Everyone seems to agree it's mandatory for the first player to stick a unit on the teleporter to close the back door, which of course makes it mandatory for the second player to likewise plug their teleporter so that said first unit can't come through on the following turn.

Then, since the purple tile is just 2 squares away from the spawn point, it's only natural for player 1 to claim it and start shelling the forward crystal. If player 2 tries to stop that from happening, he can't move his teleporter clogging unit, so it's a long hike from the spawn point to bring a new unit out to fight. He may get some kills, but odds are that forward crystal will still be destroyed or at least severely weakened. So instead, player 2 usually claims his own purple tile and shells player 1's forward crystal.

So while every other map has a myriad of opening situations, this new map almost always unfolds into two fallen forward crystals, and units clustered in the top right and bottom left.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    My problem with this game is I NEVER attack crystals. I play defensively and eat up any unit that moves into range of archers/ninjas and then if they play defensively I inch forward to give my mages an opportunity to shell 3 units at once.

But I absolutely ignore their crystal. I feel like this isnt a long term winning strategy.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Axen STILL has not started his game with me, and is as mentioned, mostly MIA in the one I started.

Dracil on
  • Options
    Disrupter wrote: »
    My problem with this game is I NEVER attack crystals. I play defensively and eat up any unit that moves into range of archers/ninjas and then if they play defensively I inch forward to give my mages an opportunity to shell 3 units at once.

But I absolutely ignore their crystal. I feel like this isnt a long term winning strategy.

I generally lean toward unit destruction/preservation strategies more than crystal-focused strategies, but one of my regular opponents is always hell bent on crystal destruction. It's a sign of good game balance that our matches more often than not end up with nail biter finishes. If I win it's by team destruction with plenty of units left in my deck, but my crystal on a sliver of health, and if he gets my crystals it's usually with the last few units in his deck.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I don't think either strategy is significantly more viable, but you definitely have to be aware that they both exist. All three of my tournament losses were due to allowing my opponent to snipe down my crystals in exchange for me killing their dudes, and then they were able to blitz my crystals down.

• Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Dracil wrote: »
    Axen STILL has not started his game with me, and is as mentioned, mostly MIA in the one I started.

Yeah, the only game I have left to finish is my match with him. It is going to expire tomorrow I believe though and that will solve that.

• Options
    BrewBrew Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »

I usually start off with unit destruction strategy unless the opponent does not defend their crystal at all and I happen to get lucky with the offensive unit draw. Once the game starts unfolding, I'm always ready to switch to crystal attack if I start getting pressured offensively. If someone is too focused on killing my units it usually takes them a turn or two to realize that I'm setting up for a crystal kill and by then it's too late.
    I really like that aspect of the game. As long as you're flexible with your strategies, you usually win :)

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    my girlfriend got the game after seeing me play it. she aggressively charges my crystals and lets me kill each of her units after getting 1-2 shots on. I've beaten her 3 times in a day and her strategy hasn't changed. I don't know if I should have an intervention with her or just enjoy the wins.

• Options
    my girlfriend got the game after seeing me play it. she aggressively charges my crystals and lets me kill each of her units after getting 1-2 shots on. I've beaten her 3 times in a day and her strategy hasn't changed. I don't know if I should have an intervention with her or just enjoy the wins.

haha. I have a few friends like that. Spawn dude run across the map, die. Next turn, spawn dude run across the map, die. Rinse repeat. One of these friends has his masters in computer science and is incredibly intelligent but just doesn't get it. We are on our 6th game and last night I finally asked if he only makes moves when he is drunk.

• Options
    AthemicAthemic Gent, BelgiumRegistered User regular

Same here, but mine's getting smarter.
    It's like watching a kid solve a problem...

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    How close are your other Axen games to expiring?

Also, @SniperGuy, can you let me know what your first game result was?

• Options
    Looking at the Group D results, the winners are clear! Congratulations to @Brew and @ani_game_bum!

• Options
    Bah it is actually 14 days for a custom game to expire so it will be another 7 days until my last Axen game expires.

• Options
    Does anyone have the same time lag on their Axen games? If so, I'll count them as forfeits.

• Options
    He got one turn in days ago and nothing again since. And he never started his game

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Alright, looks like @Axen is out. I'll adjust the results accordingly. Looks like @wonderpug is guaranteed first place, but 2nd place is still up for grabs, depending on the results of @Dracil vs. @38thDoE.

@38thDoE, I know you had server issues. Still having problems?

Spoilered for size:
    PAHeroAcademy1B.png

Jacoby on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dropping out of a tournament for one of many reasons is perfectly understandable.

But, dropping out via the medium of going utterly silent on all game related matters despite being plenty active elsewhere on the forum is not classy behaviour at all.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Dracil/38th, can one of you post a screenshot of how the game is going? Let's make this more of a spectator sport! :)
    (but do it during a replay so the things you have in your hand are blocked out!)

wonderpug on
  • Options
    BrewBrew Registered User regular
    Just recently I turned on the game center on my iPhone and saw that there are achievements for Hero Academy. "Frozen Lake" achievement for responding with your turn within 3 minutes. Awesome :)

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."