As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games you refuse to play on Principle

MahoshonenMahoshonen Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Games and Technology
Are there games that you flat-out refuse to play on pure principle? Specifically for reasons that go beyond brand loyalty or sweeping generalization of genres.

For me, I cannot play any game made by Bioware. This is a pity, because I enjoyed many games they made prior to me making this decision.

The reason that I categorically refuse to play their games can be traced to Dragon Age 2. Specifically, the "Tranquil Solution" quest in Act 2. While I never played it (thank god I didn't, otherwise I would have thrown my computer out the window when I got to that point), I did read about it in a Let's Play. I swear I had never felt that angry about something in my life. After I read what the quest entailed, I immediately deleted every Bioware game I had, broke any disks that were left, cancelled my ME3 and TOR preorders, and wrote an angry letter to the ADL. The only thing I need to do to complete my show of disgust is to post a massive rant on the Bioware Forum complete with a wallpaper-sized goatse.cx. However, work's been busy, so I've been putting it off.

So, anyone else with a similar experience?

Mahoshonen on

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    that's a bit dramatic. I don't remember anything particularly offensive about that quest.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    There's a lot of games that I won't purchase thanks to excessively sexist or racist characters, but seriously, OP? That is... worryingly overdramatic.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I don't have any that I won't play (I think), but what did Bioware do that quest that made you hate it so much?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    What's ADL?
    edit: Anti-Defamation League, huh? So it's some Jew thing?

On topic, any Ubisoft game on PC. Hey, Ubisoft, I understand that you guys feel the need to protect your games from the pirates but come on.

Come on.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    You could just say because Dragon Age 2 is a piece of shit game.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what you're going all Southern Belle over.

Explain this to me.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    that's a bit dramatic. I don't remember anything particularly offensive about that quest.

As a Jew who has an entire branch of my family tree ending in a stump at around 1941-1945, I admit that I'm rather touchy about potrayals and direct references to the Holocaust in the media. Needless to say, Bioware hit all the wrong buttons for me.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I can't even remember what quest your talking about from DA2, so I can't imagine it being that bad. I also can't imagine why it would stop you form playing any BioWare game ever, but meh.

I refuse to buy or play Call of Duty games anymore, for really obvious reasons. I can fire up Modern Warfare 2 and still get exactly the same experience as if I fired up Modern Warfare 3 or any of it's ancestors. I really don't blame Activision for continuing to shit them out, because people are still buying them like fucking candy...but I refuse to be one of them. I'll stick to Halo and Battlefield for my FPS joy.

I also refuse to play MineCraft on purely hipster principal. I never thought it was that good to begin with, and the hype machine was so ridiculous that I just said "Nope, not doing it". Dwarf Fortress for the same reason.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I oftentimes thought of playing Bulletstorm because it looks fun and I like the environments, but the absurd level of crude humor just goes over a line for me and I honestly don't think I'd be able to enjoy the game or the characters in it.

Although I don't know if that qualifies as principle more than it does just preference.

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Mahoshonen wrote:

As a Jew who has an entire branch of my family tree ending in a stump at around 1941-1945, I admit that I'm rather touchy about potrayals and direct references to the Holocaust in the media. Needless to say, Bioware hit all the wrong buttons for me.

I...what? I'm still not seeing it. Right, there was a lot of pro-mage/anti-mage dogma but I'm not seeing how bioware offended the jews in the process.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    edit: DOUBLE POST VAMILLA FORUMS GOGOGOGOGOGOGO

edit #2: now my original post disappeared

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Mahoshonen wrote:

I take it you also boycott Marvel, right?

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    So your were offended because it was a wordplay on "The Final Solution"?

As far as I just read you got to stop some madman from trying to pull this whole thing off and there's not even the option to actually let him do it or anything. It also says that his higher ups were totally against that plan and it was just him and his lackeys.

What exactly is offensive about this that you would destroy your games and hate Bioware?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Hmm. Well, I'll say that I'm going to refuse to play any Sonic the Hedgehog games.

I played all the Sega Genesis-era games. And really, since then, I hadn't played any others. Not because I was avoiding it, it was just a matter of circumstance. So I apparently missed the whole transition from platforming to stupid-speed-fuck-bullshit. Which yes, Sonic is about running fast, but I played Sonic Colors on the DS recently (bought it actually, and I should just sell it off) and it was my first taste of a Sonic game, hands on, since the Genesis. And my god, it is just such a huge pain in the ass to try to handle. I really can't be fucked to deal with that shit.

• Options
    Mahoshonen wrote:

Genocide happens all the time...so no game can ever touch on the subject of genocide without it being about Jews and the holocaust?

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote:
    Mahoshonen wrote:

Genocide happens all the time...so no game can ever touch on the subject of genocide without it being about Jews and the holocaust?
    The issue is that the quest name is a direct reference to the Holocaust, but yeah, he's getting way bent out of shape. I mean I have a whole family tree stump in Europe too but I don't flip out when people bring it up obliquely.

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    I ignore everything from Activision because of Bobby Kotick. I still buy Blizzard games, but someday I hope they break away from Activision.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    Viskod wrote:
    I oftentimes thought of playing Bulletstorm because it looks fun and I like the environments, but the absurd level of crude humor just goes over a line for me and I honestly don't think I'd be able to enjoy the game or the characters in it.

Although I don't know if that qualifies as principle more than it does just preference.

You should give it a shot since the "humor" is sparse and takes a back seat to the melodramatic story. It's basically the opposite of what the advertising would have you think.

• Options
    My greatgrandmother helped smuggle Jews out of Berlin. Her, my greatgrandfather, and my grandmother all survived the camps and the Red Army. And you know what? Fiction will always be influenced by history, and unless BioWare has Nazi sympathies I see nothing to be offended by.

• Options
    GnomeTank wrote:
    Mahoshonen wrote:

The issue is that the quest name is a direct reference to the Holocaust, but yeah, he's getting way bent out of shape. I mean I have a whole family tree stump in Europe too but I don't flip out when people bring it up obliquely.

I'll concede the title of the quest is...thought provoking. That said, I find the No Russian mission in CoD to be far more offensive than a reference to the Final Solution, but I am not Jewish so I can't judge.

• Options
    Shady3011 wrote:
    Viskod wrote:

You should give it a shot since the "humor" is sparse and takes a back seat to the melodramatic story. It's basically the opposite of what the advertising would have you think.

Bulletstorm is honestly a parody of the game you think it is. The main character's arc is learning that his assholish prick demeanor has consequences, and that he needs to take responsiblity.

• Options
    Since Vanilla ate my original post:

I don't play MMOs, so this kind of doesn't count, but if I did play MMOs I would refuse to play TOR on principle. There's some horrific, awful, twisted rape/torture shit in there that makes me sick just reading about it. BioWare in general has the kind of writing that makes people think that videogames are infantile nerd fantasies that confuse something like "epic" or "violent" with "mature" or "deep."

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Mahoshonen wrote:

I...what? I'm still not seeing it. Right, there was a lot of pro-mage/anti-mage dogma but I'm not seeing how bioware offended the jews in the process.
    GnomeTank wrote:

The thing was that the reference was really blatant while carrying absolutely no gravity. Refering to the whole thing as "The Tranquil Solution;" Having it orchastrated by a Templar named Otto who was just looking for lobotomized sextoys, and the line in the DLC where one character makes the oh-so memorable quip: "I guess your Tranquil Solution wasn't the Holocaust you envisioned!" It's one thing to have genocide in a game, but making such blatant references while showing no respect whatsoever for one of the most horrific events in human history, all to make your game 'edgier', is what blew my gasket and led me to renouce Bioware.

Mahoshonen on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oh wait, this is like... refuse to play because of face-value offense-taking?

Um... I'm gonna have to think on this one. I can't remember the last time I saw promotion for a game and I was personally offended. Maybe that Call of Juarez shit, but I have to find out about that through an episode of Extra Credits.

• Options
    Renounce? You can renounce a company? How the fuck do you do that? Do I need a priest and the ashes of Enron?

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I haven't played Dragon Age 2, but I looked up the Tranquil Quest. It reminds me far more of an atrocity like female genital mutilation than the holocaust.

That said, I sometimes have difficulty playing an bad character that does not direct his ire on characters that are "badder" than him. It's a common character trope, for example in the series Dexter, Dexter is a self-admitted monster who preys on people worse than him, and that allows people to make a connection to Dexter because in this world he is still a hero of sorts.

Prototype gave me difficulty because of this, as the character you play murders innocent people all the freaking time as a part of gameplay.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Mahoshonen wrote:
    "I guess your Tranquil Solution wasn't the Holocaust you envisioned!"

This is amazing.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    To be fair, you're not exactly human in Prototype.
    Virii kill innocent people all the time.

• Options
    Renounce? You can renounce a company? How the fuck do you do that? Do I need a priest and the ashes of Enron?

Easy. Never play a game of there's again.

• Options
    Klyka wrote:
    Mahoshonen wrote:

This is amazing.

Sorry, but the Holocaust is in another castle.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I don't remember that line in any of my playthroughs.

EDIT: What the hell?

CaptainNemo on
  • Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular

Yes, I agree, the flying fuck nut?

If there were games about Political/religious reasons
    If you want to keep being neutral about me as a user don't read these maybe
    seriously
    games where you kill the Abrahamic god(god of the Jews, Christians, Mormons, JW's, Rastas, historically and biblically Muslims, etc) or any real world religion god, Hindu's multiple, or Buddha (Not a god, a spiritual advisor), calling religion a farce, called a certain real racial or ethnic group evil, have the player be able to rape people (Believe me, some fans of Rockstar wanted this feature in GTA) one note, Japnese games are the exception, because some like FF10, are about trying to kill the fake god of a world and the "not catholic church", because most Japanese publishers (I know at least) don't like Christianity.
    I would not play them, out of principle.
    The reason I won't watch Dirty Dancing is because it's some mid 30 year old going after a young adult woman, and THAT scene, which I will not mention.
    If anyone suggests I remove my post, politely and civilly, I will.

• Options
    Look, as long as we all agree that Dragon Age 2 is a shitty game, we can move on.

• Options
    Well, not to be controversial, but the Holocaust is "one of the worst events in human history" because it's fresh, recent and talked about a lot. More Russians died in the culling (by three times) than Jews during WW2, but it's not talked about as much and not as fresh in our memories. Almost as many people have died in Darfur as Jews in the holocaust as well. If they had been making casual reference to the genocides in Africa, would it upset you as much?

Genocide is never funny, never good and should never been tolerated, but I think video games referencing these things is just part of history being woven in to our mythology. Video games are modern mythology, like it or not.

Anyway, not trying to talk you down from your point of offense, who am I to tell you not to be offended by something...just offering a counter point.

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    Klyka wrote:
    Mahoshonen wrote:

This is amazing.

Sorry, but the Holocaust is in another castle.

If that line is TRULY in the game, I will buy it just to see this with my own two eyes.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Shady3011 wrote:
    Look, as long as we all agree that Dragon Age 2 is a shitty game, we can move on.

I liked it, but I'm not going to purge all of my Shady3011 products off of my computer.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    GnomeTank wrote:
    Mahoshonen wrote:

Being a direct reference to the Holocaust was kinda the point, I thought. It was Bioware saying "Hey, if you support the Templar's, look at where their extreme views lead to. This shit is terrible, and radical psychos like this need to be stopped. There is bad JuJu here."
    I don't play MMOs, so this kind of doesn't count, but if I did play MMOs I would refuse to play TOR on principle. There's some horrific, awful, twisted rape/torture shit in there that makes me sick just reading about it. BioWare in general has the kind of writing that makes people think that videogames are infantile nerd fantasies that confuse something like "epic" or "violent" with "mature" or "deep."

I'm sorry, but I don't get this reasoning either. Real world villains do horrific, awful, twisted rape/torture shit all the time. All you need to do is look at what's going on in Syria right now to see that. Its a huge part as to what Evil and what a culture who promotes evil, is. What do you want from villains? Do you want Disney villains where the worst that happens is they cause someone to fall into a deep sleep?

I would argue that it is better for villains to be evil, twisted, and demented just like they are in the real world. To me, it is FAR more realistic to have the villains be, you know, EVIL, rather than the kid friendly villains we normally get.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Shady3011 wrote:

I liked it, but I'm not going to purge all of my Shady3011 products off of my computer.

Well, that's because you have simple tastes unlike my refined ones. 8->

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    Is it me or is there some level of irony where instead of hating a single product or the writers involved, this guy is raging out against the company and all its assets?

• Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    I have been setting here for five minutes now trying to put my head around this OP and come up with some kind of suitable snarky remark about his rant against BioWare. But I am at a loss.

Any person who goes to that extreme for a plot line in a mediocre game probably needs to be medicated. And it not someone I would want to socialize with.

BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
This discussion has been closed.