As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Glossolalia] A Dark Red Day

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i really don't get the numbers thing at all. i never do well when we have to make new characters in DE?AD's revised stuff.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    [Christina Lightning] [Team and ID Code] A: [ ] [ ] [ ]
    25/25 10/10 4/4 10/10 0/0 0/0 5/5 0/0 0/0 0/0 Auto: On
    [Action Scientist][Sexy][Resourceful] [Marksmanship]
    i: Combat-ready Lab Coat, Toolkit, Pistol, Tablet PC

Christina loves science. A lot. Especially if it shoots something or causes an explosion. Her typical happy-go-lucky demeanor is probably the only thing that keeps her from going full-on mad scientist.

Well, that and her pet corgi named Rick. She'd never do anything to disappoint him.

I put my previous Gloss characters in a blender, and this is what happened.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    this is a dumb question I think

Ok, so, we distribute points along the emotional spectrum, and we can use these points to do actions, correct? Do we also need to shift our style of play based on what our scores are? For instance, if I made a cocky gunslinger, and used all my gold points on an action, or they were taken in some way, and my next highest color was, say, grace, would I switch direction immediately and start acting like a dandy?

Or is the system purely mechanical in nature to the game?

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »
    also:

strongly considering admitting that Sanity! was never a particularly good idea and dropping it

thoughts
    b56l9.jpg

yeah maybe it's a bad day to make a decision like that

just felt kinda shitty and unmotivated today

• Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    i really don't get the numbers thing at all. i never do well when we have to make new characters in DE?AD's revised stuff.

You get all of Maddie's points, 25 DarkRED points, and 25 points that can be any color you want (except Black), and can be split up however you like.

@Langly It's sort of the other way around - this is the only point in the game where you're going to be "choosing" what points you have. From here on out, you gain them largely based on how you act - so you'll have the points that represent who your character is. You character acts like a brilliant ballerina, you get HotPink points. She beats a dude to death with a tire iron, she gets Tan points.

• Options
    Looks good Stilts. Action Scientist would normally cost you, but, well, I'll talk about that once we get to people's quarters.

• Options
    DE?AD wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:

You get all of Maddie's points, 25 DarkRED points, and 25 points that can be any color you want (except Black), and can be split up however you like.
    oh
    i thought the darkred points were turned into the other color points

i didn't think it was clear but i'm also not good at figuring out your stuff

my fault

• Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    yeah jake had 25 red. or at least that's what his stat line has on it

[Lorenzo] [] A: [] [] []
    25/25 15/15 25/25 3/3 5/5 0/0 10/10 0/10 0/0 3/3 Auto: On
    [Magician] [Regal] [Cocky] [Acrobatic]
    I: Magician's Attire

Shabooty on
  • Options
    Antimatter wrote:
    DE?AD wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:

oh
    i thought the darkred points were turned into the other color points

i didn't think it was clear but i'm also not good at figuring out your stuff

my fault
    All Unbound being with 25 DarkRED points, and 25 points that they may split

Emphasis added.

• Options
    DE?AD wrote:
    Looks good Stilts. Action Scientist would normally cost you, but, well, I'll talk about that once we get to people's quarters.

Plus, how could you possibly say no to these puppy-dog eyes I'm making right now?

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    ok, i'm dumb.
    [M] [] A: [] [] []
    0/25 0/5 11/11 10/10 3/3 3/3 0/0 0/0 3/3 Auto: On
    [Swordsperson] [Weak Power Mimic] [Very Dangerous] [Technokinetic]
    I: Scimitar, Light Armor, Masked Helmet

• Options
    Ok that makes sense. How do we denote if we are Action, Trick, Evade, or Reveal?

• Options
    I am really sorry that I am so dumb by the way

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Going to try to get in on this, hopefully I don't fail horribly.

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Click.

A man sits in a study, wearing a frumpy suit, his hair splaying out above his head. "Now, when you look... when you look at the HEX tower, you have to wonder 'who put it there?' I think that, if you look at it, the only, the only real answer is aliens."

The video cuts to a small gray being with shiny purple eyes, sitting in a similar study. "It's preposterous, and, frankly, a little offensive. All these 'alien conspiracy' advocates, are pushing the notion that my people - a people with a well documented history within The City - are somehow sneaking around, forcing humans to build these monumen-"

Click.

An expensive-looking hotel lobby in silence, hostages tied up beside the tall marble pillars, men in dark fatigues and red face-masks, assault rifles kept at the ready. On the second story balcony, one of them notices something, his gaze drawn by an unheard sound, he turns to look through the wide glass windows looking out over the nearby buildings. A point of light, moving toward him through the dark. Slowly, a drum-beat rises in the background.

Energetic pop-music washes across the scene, timed perfectly with the shattering of the left wall as a streamlined tank covered in shiny tan paint crashes through it. The crooks scatter in horror, racing toward the front door, only to be stopped as a neon pink hot-rod crashes through the perfectly polished glass doors.

Click.

Footage of a man rushing the stage at an awards show, shoving the woman at the podium aside and grabbing the mic. "-diences last night were shocked when rapper 'ICEberg' interrupted a speech by MVF Award-Winner Desmi-"

Click.

A faceless carbosilicate man in a pure white suit kneels beside a young boy and tousles his hair. A lot has been said about Act 7-85. Concerns have been brought up about its intent, its purpose. He takes a baseball from the boy and tosses it off into the distance. The boy giggles and runs off after it. The carbosilicate man chuckles before addressing the camera. Hello, you may call this terminal Micheal. It is here to tell you that, you don't have to be afraid. Act 7-85 is here to protec-

Click.

I turn off the vid-feed and recline against the mechanical arm from which I hang. It's almost time! A beautiful day outside, crisp and clear, a pleasant 65 degrees. Perfect. Everything is turning out just perfectly!

Spinning about, I open a hatch in the floor and descend to the levels below, glossy red plastic breezing by at ridiculous speed. Reaching Entry Chamber 705, I snap to a halt, bouncing about at the end of the arm before my feet manage to touch the ground.

It's a small room, with a low ceiling, but it was made for this very purpose - its every surface acts as a conductor, the seams in its walls and floor creating a very specific pattern of interlocking lines designed to pull in a very specific type of energy.

I step to the center of the room as bodies begin to flicker in and out of existence around me, the room doing its work perfectly. Carefully I unfold the little card table I'd been carrying, and set the pink carboard box atop it.

"Good morning, everyone!" I call to the rapidly forming beings still sprawled across the floor. "Welcome to HEX. I've brought donuts!"

DE?AD on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Sup ladies and gents

DE?AD summoned me here so

here I am I guess

I wanna place a game what can I play

• Options
    Langly wrote:

I'm not sure what you're asking.

Basically, points are spent to buy those things. They aren't traits or whatever, and you don't need to use them, really, they're special moves that let you do cool shit.

When you want to use one, just, out of character, say you're using it. Or make it super clear in your post.

Something like: My character flourish the blade. "Thing is, I took fencing for five years in college." [Using 1 gold for a Reveal: Convenient Skill].

Or whatever.

@Antimatter: Looks good!

• Options
    Going to try to get in on this, hopefully I don't fail horribly.
    Solar wrote:
    Sup ladies and gents

DE?AD summoned me here so

here I am I guess

I wanna place a game what can I play

Good evening Gentlemen!

You may play DarkRED. Please refer to the OP, it'll get you set right up.

• Options

"Oh, thank you, that sounds delish," Christina says, slowly and carefully picking herself up from the floor. "Do you have any plain cake ones? Rick can't really handle a sugar glaze."

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    [Irmin Kross] [Team and ID Code] A: [ ] [ ] [ ]
    25/25 5/5 5/5 5/5 0/0 10/10 0/0 0/0 0/0 0/0 Auto: On
    [Western-Fist Monk][Iron Will][Regenerator] [Plant Mutant]
    i: Ragged Jeans, Monk's robes, Gnarled Staff

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
  • Options
    [M] [] A: [] [] []
    0/25 0/5 11/11 10/10 3/3 3/3 0/0 0/0 3/3 Auto: On
    [Swordsperson] [Weak Power Mimic] [Very Dangerous] [Technokinetic]
    I: Scimitar, Light Armor, Masked Helmet

M rises up from the ground and shoves thon's helmed face into the narrator's. "What. The. Hell. Happened. I was at rest. Wait... No, I was, but then more things happened. Further things. Better things. But I remember my first self now when I didn't before and that is hellish."

• Options
    DE?AD wrote:
    Langly wrote:

I'm not sure what you're asking.

Basically, points are spent to buy those things. They aren't traits or whatever, and you don't need to use them, really, they're special moves that let you do cool shit.

When you want to use one, just, out of character, say you're using it. Or make it super clear in your post.

Something like: My character flourish the blade. "Thing is, I took fencing for five years in college." [Using 1 gold for a Reveal: Convenient Skill].

Or whatever.

@Antimatter: Looks good!

Oh ok! The wording on the lists has the sections posted as, like, "Reveal Characters may utilize Special points to “reveal” previously unknown aspects of the scene..." I thought that you needed to pick one, and your special moves would always be of that type.

• Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Shabooty wrote:
    Irmin...

Gonna do some justice.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    [Koji] [Team and ID Code] A: [ ] [ ] [ ]
    25/25 10/10 0/0 0/0 5/5 0/0 5/5 0/0 5/5 0/0 Auto: On
    [Baji Quan Master][Chi Projection][Agile] [Chef]
    i:

• Options
    AGH! Carbosilicates! AGGGGHH!

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    also:

strongly considering admitting that Sanity! was never a particularly good idea and dropping it

thoughts

I loved the concept, and I still think a game incorporating music heavily would rock

but I've not been able to get into my character which is weird considering I basically just made myself into a character and called it a day.

• Options
    edited February 2012

"Hey, c'mon, M. Chill out." Christina searches through the box of donuts and picks out a cream-filled one for herself. "It's like, we can sleep forever, yeah? We have stuff to do. People to save. Explosions to create."

As she takes a bite of the donut, she notices the last bit of her body--her hair--finish forming. It's a blonde pixie cut, and the tips get colored blue right before her eyes. She grips a bang in her free hand to study it closer.

"Oh, neat!" she exclaims, her mouth still full of donut.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options

Hm. Alright, I'm gonna say [Western-Fist Monk] Will need 10 Gold and 10 Royalblue to take. [Iron Will[ is fine. [Regenerator] will require 25 ForestGreen. Plant Mutant will take 10 Forrest Green. You can bump it down to [Weak Regenerator] for 15 Forestgreen

@Caulk Bite 6 Sorry I forgot to respond to you question: ForestGreen represents Life in a conceptual sense. Like "life magic" or "Life Force". Essentially, how much you resonate with cells dividing and trees growing and babies popping outta people, kinda thing. Druid shit.

• Options
    totally using zoom like woah to read these character profiles

• Options
    AGH! Carbosilicates! AGGGGHH!

Micheal. Why'd it have to be Micheal?

• Options
    @Huntera A martial art master is gonna take 50+ points. Knock it down to Novice or Adept and we're looking at something affordable. Chi Projection will cost you 15. [Agile] is fine, I suppose. [Chef]. Make it a skill, not a profession. Cooking, or what have you.

• Options
    DE?AD wrote:

Hm. Alright, I'm gonna say [Western-Fist Monk] Will need 10 Gold and 10 Royalblue to take. [Iron Will[ is fine. [Regenerator] will require 25 ForestGreen. Plant Mutant will take 10 Forrest Green. You can bump it down to [Weak Regenerator] for 15 Forestgreen

@Caulk Bite 6 Sorry I forgot to respond to you question: ForestGreen represents Life in a conceptual sense. Like "life magic" or "Life Force". Essentially, how much you resonate with cells dividing and trees growing and babies popping outta people, kinda thing. Druid shit.

How much for plain-jane monk?

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    [Penelope Mainyu] [Team and ID Code] A: [ ] [ ] [ ]
    25/25 0/5 3/8 10/10 1/1 5/5 5/5 2/2 2/2 1/1 2/2 Auto: On
    [Hoverblade Hoodlum][Hardcore][Manipulative] [Mighty]
    i: Spray paint, Golden Baseball Bat

how's this?

Shock G on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I'm gonna go ahead and take credit for two players wanting to be monks, regardless of how much Resonance actually had to do with it.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    “We can make small talk later,” the guard says to Chad. “You’ve got to get out of here.

The four of you take off down the hallway. None of you actually clarified where you were going apart from away I mean I’m not psychic I can’t figure out what you want but I’m going to assume you want out. Wherever exactly this is, it’s a confusing tangle of unmarked hallways all painted the same grayish-blue, all lit with the same fluorescent lights, every door locked.The complex really displays a startling lack of creativity on the behalf of its designer.

Twenty Minutes Ago

Katrina sits in an empty conference room, watching the news on a screen lowered from the ceiling above the long table in front of her. A half-empty bottle of gin and a glass sits before her. Sarah stands closer to the door, pacing. They’ve been locked up in here for hours- for their own protection, of course.

Katrina gestures at the screen, currently displaying the image of RNR sweeping its flamethrower across a residence block on the edge of the Grand Plaza. “This is bullshit,” she exclaims. “Some of them might be assholes, but none of them are murderous assholes. They fucking tried to talk down an invasion force, for fuck’s sake. They’re getting set up.”

“Chief Mechanic-” Sarah begins as Katrina stands, then pauses, closing her eyes and looking down briefly. “I can’t let you do this in your current state,” she says, standing in front of the door.

“Like hell you’re gonna stop me,” Katrina growls.

Sarah makes a short exhalation that might count as a laugh. “You misunderstand me. I can’t let you do this in your current state,” Sarah pulls open her suit jacket, revealing a holstered pistol, “because you are insufficiently armed.

Rounding another identical corner, you nearly smack headlong into Sarah and Katrina. What are they doing here? Katrina wears her usual grimy coverall with a pistol in one hand and a meaty wrench in the other, while Sarah wears a full suit of form-fitting body armor with at least eight sidearms holstered around it.

“We’re here to rescue you! And the radio guy!” Katrina blurts out in surprise.

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    How much would Novice cost?

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i still don't totally get the characters we're making from like a flavor standpoint

is the idea that we're making sort of generic "core" characters that manifest as different avatars as we go out into the world beyond the city, or

• Options
    Oh man, I was totally thinking druid, but I think that would conflict with a plant monk character already in the game

hmmm hmmmmmmm

• Options
    I push M's hammer out of the way, politely. "Glad to see you two taking to your new incarnations so quickly. I have to say, I was a bit worried there would be... consequences to wedging open the door the way I did. Basically just jammed HEX into the energy-feed to keep it from collapsing. Messy business."

This discussion has been closed.