As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Broken Age: Double Fine's 3.3 Million Dollar Kickstarter Game

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    It's a risk based on faith. Yes. WE KNOW THIS AND ARE HAPPY TAKING THAT RISK.

Just because you aren't happy taking that risk doesn't mean that everyone else is misunderstanding the risk. They are just either less risk averse than you or have more faith in the guys involved than you do.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Caedere wrote:
    With this kind of budget, I want them to get some top-notch voice talent in.

Like... Eric Idle. And John Cleese. Carlos Alazraqui, Tara Strong, Mark Hamill. Mmm.

This post highlights an interesting aspect to look forward to with this entire project, just how many people are going to be butt-hurt when the game isn't what THEY wanted and THEY paid for. It's all so vague so far. OLD SCHOOL! POINT AND CLICK! ADVENTURE!

I can't wait for the shit-storm when details come out for this thing.

Allforce on
  • Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Caedere wrote:
    With this kind of budget, I want them to get some top-notch voice talent in.

Like... Eric Idle. And John Cleese. Carlos Alazraqui, Tara Strong, Mark Hamill. Mmm.

I want part of the game to be entirely voiced by Nolan North. Including female characters.

Change Nolan North to Steve Blum and I'm doubling my investment.

Except... he'd actually pull it off somehow. D: If he could do a fuckin' Digimon, he could do a female, I'm sure of it.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    The thing is, this is Double Fine. They've been good to us and seem like stand up people. Nearly any other developer wouldn't find anywhere near this much success.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    People are willing to pay money for an adventure game, but there are no new ones being made.

Double Fine wants to make an adventure game, but publishers won't finance an adventure game.

People finance an adventure game, Double Fine makes it.

I don't know where all these unscrupulous doomsday scenarios are coming from. The whole thing is a bunch of people who love adventure games getting together and getting an adventure game made, and thankfully one of the parties involved is a professional video game making crew.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    GSM wrote:
    Warlock82 wrote:
    reVerse wrote:
    Stacking is a puzzle game, Costume Quest is a jRPG lite.

^ this

Also, it's not like those are the ONLY two games Tim Schafer has ever put out -_-

(for the record, played and loved Costume Quest, never got around to Stacking)

Adventure games are puzzle games, though. Stacking just replaced "inventory" for "who are you possessing", like Phoenix Wright swaps inventory out for "Evidence" and "Use Item" for "Present Item". Plain "Adventure Gaming" is puzzles woven into a storyline. Stacking is still an adventure game, albeit a nontraditional one.

I never really followed that particular game that closely. Regardless though, it's not the same type of game as this one, which is a traditional point-and-click adventure. Saying you have to support games that are nothing like this to be able to support this is silly. Especially when Schafer has made quite a few excellent point & click adventure games in his career :)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote:
    To be honest, their "reputation" only matters to a tiny tiny number of their consumer base (mainly, people who post at forums). Not that they would take the money and piss it away but they totally could and it wouldn't mean a damn thing going forward to them.

You mean the same people who are donating? Yes, we're a relatively small number of people, but this shows what we can do. You think the masses you're talking about have donated a cent?

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Smaug6 wrote:
    Figgy wrote:
    Smaug6 wrote:
    I just think its a terrible legal structure to make this game and because of that, it could lead to unscrupulous results. I am not saying it will.

In alot of ways I am happy that so many people supported the game, but I will never support a project with this set up through donations.

Will I order the game? Possibly. Will I have taken any risk? No. Should people understand the problems with how this is done? Yes. Should you donate? Its up to you, but please understand the risks you are taking.

Why do you keep using the word donate? It's not helping your argument to ignore all the people telling you it's not a donation.

It is entirely a donation. I mean thats what kickstarter is. Its for donations. Their rules expressly prohibit any return on investment or profit sharing. Its not an investment.

You are giving someone money and they have all the power to decide how to use that money to create something. I am not sure how else you can see it.

To repeat, you have no legal right to the product. Its not a pre-order. Its not an advanced sale.

Its a donation to a for profit company with the idea that they will take the money and create a product. If they do, they will send you one. If not, thanks for the donation.

It's not a donation. Find the word donation on that site.

It's a pledge to fund a creative project for which you receive a reward. That's what Kickstarter is. You aren't donating anything. This isn't a charity.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    They're close to a million here and there's still, what? 33 days left?

Just.

Holy shit.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    Alright, now I have to finally play through Monkey Island this year. What's the best platform to play it on? I have it on iPod touch and Steam.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    It's great because all the time people want these niche titles (2d Rayman, point and click Back to the Future) and they get made and then don't sell as expected. This forces the consumers hand - it says "we're willing to make this game you claim to want, but you need to ensure us that you truly will buy it".

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Goal: $400k in a little over a month

Via twitter:
    TimOfLegend Tim Schafer
    300! 300! 300! 300! 300! 300! 300! 300! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy! Holy!
    13 hours ago

Via PC Gamer:
    Graph: how Double Fine raised $450,000 for an adventure game in eight hours

:D

Edit: Just looked, people have tossed $899,626 their way, more than double their goal ... :O

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HuntingNoobHuntingNoob Registered User regular
    Psychonauts 2 next, k?

• Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    I figure I massively underpaid when I bought Iron Brigade, that game was worth £40 to me, so hey, I'll front some costs for DF.

Also I owe them for Brutal Legend, I bought a second copy for a mate, even new, that only cost £5.

Five freaking pounds.

If all my $30 gets me is the soundtrack and being part of this as a way of saying thank you, I'm happy.

If the game is even half as good as Brutal Legend or Iron Brigade I'll be chuffed and feel quids in mate.

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote:
    People are willing to pay money for an adventure game, but there are no new ones being made.

Double Fine wants to make an adventure game, but publishers won't finance an adventure game.

I don't know where all these unscrupulous doomsday scenarios are coming from. The whole thing is a bunch of people who love adventure games getting together and getting an adventure game made, and thankfully one of the parties involved is a professional video game making crew.
    "There are no new adventure games being made" is pretty much bullshit. As the video points out, Germany's pumping out plenty, and if the Blackwell games, Gemeni Rue, The Next BIG Thing, The Book of Unwritten Tales, Gray Matter, everything Telltale makes (Monkey Island, BttF, Sam and Max, Jurassic Park, Law & Order, etc) are any indication, then no, the genre isn't dead.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote:

"There are no new adventure games being made" is pretty much bullshit. As the video points out, Germany's pumping out plenty, and if the Blackwell games, Gemeni Rue, The Next BIG Thing, The Book of Unwritten Tales, Gray Matter, everything Telltale makes (Monkey Island, BttF, Sam and Max, Jurassic Park, Law & Order, etc) are any indication, then no, the genre isn't dead.

I forgot about Telltale. Didn't the Internet decide that they're shit now?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I dunno about shit, but their formula has gotten a bit stale.

• Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    Jurassic Park went a little too far down the "Interactive Movie" route, by replacing puzzles with QTEs. And episodic adventure games end up a little narrow in scope, because of the bite-sizing going on.

We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote:
    Smaug6 wrote:
    Figgy wrote:
    Smaug6 wrote:
    I just think its a terrible legal structure to make this game and because of that, it could lead to unscrupulous results. I am not saying it will.

In alot of ways I am happy that so many people supported the game, but I will never support a project with this set up through donations.

Will I order the game? Possibly. Will I have taken any risk? No. Should people understand the problems with how this is done? Yes. Should you donate? Its up to you, but please understand the risks you are taking.

Why do you keep using the word donate? It's not helping your argument to ignore all the people telling you it's not a donation.

It is entirely a donation. I mean thats what kickstarter is. Its for donations. Their rules expressly prohibit any return on investment or profit sharing. Its not an investment.

You are giving someone money and they have all the power to decide how to use that money to create something. I am not sure how else you can see it.

To repeat, you have no legal right to the product. Its not a pre-order. Its not an advanced sale.

Its a donation to a for profit company with the idea that they will take the money and create a product. If they do, they will send you one. If not, thanks for the donation.

It's a pledge to fund a creative project for which you receive a reward. That's what Kickstarter is. You aren't donating anything. This isn't a charity.

Yeah, pledge is the right word to use here I think.

@Smaug6 I agree with you that legally, its very easy for the creator of a kickstarter to fuck over the pledgers and take the money. The thing is though that kickstarter doesn't use legality to enforce that creators carry through with the project, it uses reputation. For anyone in business(and hell, just about any other field) reputation is everything, and if you split on a kickstarter your reputation and career are likely ruined.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    ultimakay wrote:
    Figgy wrote:
    Smaug6 wrote:
    Figgy wrote:
    Smaug6 wrote:

Yeah, pledge is the right word to use here I think.

@Smaug6 I agree with you that legally, its very easy for the creator of a kickstarter to fuck over the pledgers and take the money. The thing is though that kickstarter doesn't use legality to enforce that creators carry through with the project, it uses reputation. For anyone in business(and hell, just about any other field) reputation is everything, and if you split on a kickstarter your reputation and career are likely ruined.

Yeah going over it, I think the reward may qualify as a unilateral contract, though its unclear. So there maybe some legal protection, but still zero guarantee on quality.

I guess in the end it front loads the risk on the pledgor's and gives them little protection. Yeah its an interesting idea to use reputation effects to enforce something. That said, this is a very big test of the kickstarter system.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    reVerse wrote:
    reVerse wrote:

I forgot about Telltale. Didn't the Internet decide that they're shit now?

It's not that "no new adventure games are made", I guess, it's that...

No new Tim Schafer adventure games are made. That's the distinction.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Imagine comi, but in 1080p, with 30fps hand drawn animations and watercolor painted backgrounds... that's what extra money could bring in. Full orchestrated score, with Michael land writing the music. There's a lot that a larger budget could bring to this... more money is more people doing development work. At 400000 they would be limited to 3d... with 2 to 3 million they could do 2d animations... or try to get liscencing rights... to monkey island.... and Gilbert could make mi3 his way. Who knows. All we know is money can help make a better game, and I trust them to spend it wisely.

No I don't.
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    I think Trust really is the key word in all this.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm honestly not understanding the level of quasi-hostility and negativity this project is garnering from select people.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    I'm honestly not understanding the level of quasi-hostility and negativity this project is garnering from select people.

Agreed. It's a company with a great reputation asking for early preorders to fund one of their dream projects. And if you're a big fan with extra money, you can pay extra and get collector's items. Not seeing the problem.

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote:
    I think Trust really is the key word in all this.
    Exactly. These guys, this company, has a reputation of making things I love. Consistantly through my life I've enjoyed their projects. I trust them. Their fans obviously trust them. And if they betray that trust with this, they're finished. These are their diehard fans pledging... they will turn on them if the fuck everyone over.

No I don't.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Maddoc wrote:
    Well, it can't be that much hostility if they've gotten A MILLION DOLLARS out of it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Tim should use the extra cash to buy the Maniac Mansion license from Lucas... not like they're fucking using it :P And he's already got Ron Gilbert over there :P Just need to get Grossman on board and bam, Adventure Game magic.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Should break a million in a couple of hours.

Ri-goddamn-diculous.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote:
    Tim should use the extra cash to buy the Maniac Mansion license from Lucas... not like they're fucking using it :P And he's already got Ron Gilbert over there :P Just need to get Grossman on board and bam, Adventure Game magic.

Don't remind people in power of old licenses... they may turn them into FPS'es.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    $955k! Guys, I'll make you a deal. If we hit $980k I'll add RTS elements to the game! And if we hit $1M, I'll take them back out!

:lol:

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    $955k! Guys, I'll make you a deal. If we hit $980k I'll add RTS elements to the game! And if we hit $1M, I'll take them back out!

EDIT: Damn you @Caedere

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Barrakketh wrote:

EDIT: Damn you @Caedere

8-) I'm just awesome like that.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm not understanding the quasi-hostility either. This isn't like Joe McJustboughtgamemakerpro asking for 400k to build a game. This is an established, successful, beloved and trusted company saying "We want to make this game we know you want, but publishers won't invest, help".

Obviously they struck a cord...nearly a million clams in two days 24 hours.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote:
    I'm not understanding the quasi-hostility either. This isn't like Joe McJustboughtgamemakerpro asking for 400k to build a game. This is an established, successful, beloved and trusted company saying "We want to make this game we know you want, but publishers won't invest, help".

Obviously they struck a cord...nearly a million clams in two days.
    Correction here: A million dollars in less than 24 hours.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    If giving Tim Schafer money is wrong, then quite frankly there is no need to ever be right in this world again.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    The number of people who registered on Kickstarter JUST to give Tim Schafer money is pretty staggering as well.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    I just "donated" my $30.

This is fantastic.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    PiotyrPiotyr Power-Crazed Wizard SilmariaRegistered User regular
    Yep, this is the second KS project in a month I haven't had to even think about before pledging.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Piotyr wrote:
    Yep, this is the second KS project in a month I haven't had to even think about before pledging.

What was the first one?

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling