As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crusader Kings 2 Multiplayer Extravaganza! (Tues/Thurs 10 PM; Save in OP)

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    From the Phalla @shalmelo: painkillers and non-consciousness?

1) That is either a shitty birthday or an awesome premature celebration yesterday.
    2) Able to play tonight?

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Yeah, I can play tonight. I injured myself playing hockey Sunday night (memo to myself: try not to go hard into the boards chin-first). Nothing too serious, just a big gash on my chin that got stitched up and a very sore/stiff neck. So yeah, apologies if I'm mildly loopy tonight, but I'll be there.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Now I'm trying to figure how you managed to do that unless you got boarded.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Now I'm trying to figure how you managed to do that unless you got boarded.

I had a little help, yes, but it had more to do with my lack of skating ability.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
  • Options
    So, Brian, how long did it take you to find your father? Because that's impressive if it's pays off.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    There is one nonobvious trick if you are redistributing large amounts of land, and that is to make a small amount of 'supermayors.' The main advantage is that he will have a much larger cashflow, and thus start upgrading much more steadily (The AI likes to sit on 100-150g before it starts buying stuff). The second advantage is that you can more easily get a single dude to +100, which means you'll levy more troops (They'll be mostly light infantry, but still).

When distributing land, make sure that whoever you give it to is off your culture. Not having that -10 is quite the difference maker.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    So, Brian, how long did it take you to find your father? Because that's impressive if it's pays off.

Around the time Castille was getting decimated by the muslims. I was originally going to marry my mother matrilineally to their heir, but seeing as there wasn't much left there I broke the betrothal and went shopping around.

IIRC last game I tried to do the same thing with Cumania, but it didn't pan out.

• Options
    I fell ass backwards into Rus. Just looking around at brides as my heir turned 16 looking for alliances really and then the little heir to Rus popped up. It was her 18 year old brother so I figured nothing would come of it unless I helped but then he dies at 22.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    So, what kind of resources might you be able/willing to contribute to the conquest of Sweden? Alone, it will probably take me about two decades to fully prepare.

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    Once I take Hungary back? 10,000 men + whatever I feel like spending on mercs. So I probably need 5-10 years.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    OK, 10,000 men in 10 years sounds good.

Edit: Although the logistics of that are going to be tricky (I'm planning to fight short wars in succession for all ten duchies.

Brian Krakow on
  • Options
    Should also be able to get my daughter-in-law to join, so that's another... bunch of Russians.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Success! I have reached my goal in my game as the Karlings, descendants of Charles the Hammer and Charlemagne. I've become Emperor (of Francia) and reclaimed Iberia for Christianity!

And then I realized that I had a claim on the Byzantine Empire from my mother, so I took that too. :)

Now to get a claim on the Holy Roman Empire...

• Options
    Success! I have reached my goal in my game as the Karlings, descendants of Charles the Hammer and Charlemagne. I've become Emperor (of Francia) and reclaimed Iberia for Christianity!

And then I realized that I had a claim on the Byzantine Empire from my mother, so I took that too. :)

So, basically you did the LP we did in the forum? Only I think we had the British Isles as well.

• Options

So, basically you did the LP we did in the forum? Only I think we had the British Isles as well.

Huh, I must have missed that. When/Where was this?

I installed my half-brother as King of England. Does that count? If not, I still have 200 years to recreate the Roman Empire.

Starting with a single county as a vassal was significantly different than anything else I'd done before. Honestly, I think I prefer it to starting as an independent ruler

• Options
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Ahh, the original Crusader Kings. That explains how I missed it.

I beat you guys to being an Emperor by about 90 years :P But jests aside, I'm going to have to read through that entire thing.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    Emperor titles were a bit less... defined in CK1. Except for the Byzantine one. Which I grabbed at the end in a pique of roleplaying.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Huh, apparently the Sunni Caliph can be Catholic. All you have to do is murder a Caliph, marry his pregnant wife to one of your courtiers, then marry the child into your family :)

Considering he's my grandson, this should be interesting when I play him. I wonder if it'll let me call Jihads.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    So, I joined a crusade for the first time. The crusade was called for Jerusalem, but that was far away from Ireland, so I just invaded a bunch of Spain instead. For some reason the pope gave me 90% of the counties of Jerusalem when the war ended. I created the kingdom of Jerusalem for a crapton of piety and prestige, but now I have no idea how to hold onto it.
    My current title is :
    King of Ireland
    King of Norway
    King of Jerusalem

38thDoE on steam
    ๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€๐Ÿฆ‘๐Ÿฆ€

• Options
    You were the highest contributor somehow. The Muslim target must have had a bunch of allies in Iberia.

I suggest giving it away to a distant branch of the family, because fighting constant rebellions in the Holy Land is a huge pain in the ass. Might want to wait for the conquest modifiers to drop though.

• Options
    No pain, no gain. Give away that worthless northern land and seek the riches of the Orient. Spread the faith, too.

• Options
    Well, that's the other option, yes.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    No pain, no gain. Give away that worthless northern land and seek the riches of the Orient. Spread the faith, too.
    Can you elaborate more on why that would be good?
    Also can you give stuff away once its attacked, that way getting more prestige as long as possible?

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Because Muslim land starts with much higher tech levels, it tends to be better developed and thus richer. It's also home to many of the best provinces in the game (Baghdad, Cairo, and Alexandria are just a few great cities within striking distance of Jerusalem), and is generally home to much better land than Northern Europe. Once the recently conquered modifiers expire, it will probably be more prosperous and home to more soldiers than your home provinces unless you've been very aggressive with building and technological development (i.e., have several universities and church schools).

Being surrounded by religious enemies also gives you an near inexhaustible supply of piety, prestige, gold, and, of course, land. It has its own risks, of course, but with a holy order or two you'll be able to defend yourself without too much trouble.

As for your second question, I believe you can only give away (as in remove from your realm) titles that are equal to your title. So if, for example, you want to give away the Duchy of Jerusalem, you'll have to give away the entire Kingdom of Jerusalem.

• Options
    I ended up keeping everything, the Muslims only wanted Galilee back, so that's fine. I've added some of the Muslem parts of France to my control, I'm all over the place.

I think I became a bad person. My first son died, and my heir went to his son not my second son for some reason.
    Maybe because my second son is the King of Denmark via marriage?
    I think when I die I just added Denmark, and maybe enough of England to usurp that kingdom as well!

38thDoE on steam

• Options
    Nope, that's just how succession works. If Charles died before his mother, William's the heir to the British crown, not Prince Andrew.

• Options
    I would assume so

• Options
    Assuming my shit works. If it keeps OOSing on me I'm going to withdraw. :(

• Options
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
  • Options
    I'm gonna drop out. It's been a pleasure; good luck in your virtual endeavors.

• Options
    1) Any particular reasons? Just tired of the it? We've been doing this for something like six months.
    2) I was actually considering the same between my desync issues and my Thursdays will be devoted to my #1 passion in a couple weeks (college football).

• Options
    I'm pretty burnt out.