As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

180 - An Award Winning... Documentary?

2»

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Also, since Comfort is intent on educating the masses about World War II & the Holocaust, let's go ahead and do a rudimentary fact-check on his documentary, putting aside his unethical juxtaposition.

@ 0:54 to 1:03: The archival clip in the background, with Hitler in the foreground and having been inserted after showing a series of clips from Hitler's Mercedes parades, I'm pretty sure shows a Russian tank parade. Need someone else to confirm this, though.

@ 1:58 to 2:11: ...Off topic, but I'm pretty impressed with this man. If I were that stoned, I don't think I'd have been able to identify any physical characteristics of Hitler.

@ 6:03: Comfort seems to think that assassinating Adolf Hitler in 1939 would've prevented the second world war. Apparently he has forgotten about Goebbels, Himmler, Bormann, Goering, Rosenberg, etc. The arms build-up had already occurred; the war campaign was more or less a done deal by 1939, with or without Hitler's leadership. Perhaps killing Hitler a few years prior, before the arms build-up, would've averted catastrophe - but we can only say that with the benefit of hindsight. If I were living in Germany in 1936, and for some unknown reason I had a Mauser in hand and Adolf Hitler was driving across a road within firing range, and I had no idea what policies he would eventually shape, what reason would I have for murdering him? No doubt that if I did do that, I'd have been arrested for treason & assassination, and the world would think me a wretched psychopath, never having known the fate I'd prevented.

@ 8:10: Comfort starts paraphrasing quotes originally attributed to Hitler in 'Hitler's Table Talk', which is a controversial volume among historians to say the least, and certainly not to be taken at face value as the literal words spoken by Hitler. The original notes for the books were penned by Martin Bormann & Henry Picker, and while Picker's notes are considered reliable (they were vetted by Albert Speer), there's every reason to doubt the veracity of Bormann's - so even the best translated works need to be taken with a grain of salt. 'Table Talk' was translated into English and French by Hugh Trevor-Roper & François Genoud, who have been accused of editing the notes and, in particular, inventing Hitler's Christian remarks more or less whole cloth (Richard Carrier has demonstrated that more than a few of Trevor-Roper's 'translated' passages are fabrications, while Richard Steigmann-Gall has noted that many of the statements in Table Talk are uncharacteristic of everything else ever known to be spoken or written down by Hitler, which makes them a curious anomaly).

@ 8:26: Comfort states that Hitler printed '100,000 copies' of his own edited version of the Bible. It's not known how many Bibles were printed by the Germans tasked with creating them at Eisenach (it's a relatively recent discovery that this was even done), but it almost certainly was not much more than a few thousand copies. Most were destroyed (which is why it's a new discovery), and it was not a central component of Hitler's agenda. Comfort might be getting the Bible printing operation confused with Hitler's distribution of Mein Kampf (which Hitler also referred to as his own Bible).

@ 9:10: Comfort implies that Hitler was one of the foundations for anti-Semitism in Germany. Anti-Semitism was incredibly widespread throughout Europe, Russia and North America in the 30s and 40s (and well before, and well beyond those decades), and while Hitler can certainly be blamed for fomenting hatred, he was not alone in doing it and he certainly didn't need to provide a very compelling narrative. It was not 'his' deception at all.

@ 10:14: Off-topic, but that's maybe the worst fake German accent I've ever heard. The whole dramatization is also disgusting.

@ 10:30: There are no accounts I'm aware of involving people being exterminated via bulldozer. I think Comfort is again confused (the footage of bodies being bulldozed that most people are probably familiar with come from Belsen, while it was being liberated & demolished by British soldiers. The mass exterminations at Auschwitz & Treblinka were carried-out via gas chamber: bodies at Auschwitz were disposed of in a crematorium, while Treblinka's victims were burned in massive pyres. There were also instances of mass shootings, but for the most part the tools for the industrial-scale genocide were gas chambers (because of their inexpensive & efficient nature).

@ 30:55: ...I'm supposed to believe that the smiling people in the opening shots are those walking to Belsen at gunpoint under orders from it's enraged liberators (which was liberated by the British & Canadians, not the Americans)? Well, I'm afraid I don't. Most of the neighbouring communities surrounding the camps knew exactly what was happening there - they were just powerless to stop it.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    @The Ender, I love this breakdown, but it's Ray Comfort, not Kirk Cameron.

Apothe0sis on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote:
    denihilist wrote:
    Stupid was the wrong word on my part, as it actually isn't common knowledge. Most people don't go out and make religious videos with Kirk Cameron talking about how bananas are proof of god's love though so, eh
    Most people don't know that the bananas we eat now are a different strain than the ones my parents ate in the 60s so there you go.

I still say something really, really dark happened to Kirk while he was shooting Growing Pains that turned him into the evangelical he is today.
    And also in danger of being extincted by a fungus. GG perfect species.

Not extincted, small scale production of Gros Michael (the former banana) is still possible and trees do still exist, it's just you can't grow them in any kind of quantity. Once Cavendish goes we'll likely find another one, it will taste a bit different and then in 25 years we'll all be trying to explain to kids how much more banana'y the bananas used to be.

It will probably be this banana...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldfinger_banana

Tastes like a banana crossed with an apple. Unless someone can do something clever with GM to make the Dwarf Cavendish immune to the fungus.

This is the freakiest shit in this thread.

What the hell are you people doing to my Bananas!!!!

• Options
    Apothe0sis wrote:

Doh! That's what I get for knowing Comfort only as 'The Banana Man'.

Corrected.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote:
    Apothe0sis wrote:

Doh! That's what I get for knowing Comfort only as 'The Banana Man'.

Corrected.

:lol:

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The Ender wrote:
    I just hope that this somehow leads to a filmed 'debate' between Cameron and one of the ADL's historians. That is the sort of academic ass kicking that would soothe my soul.

I remember Ray Comfort had an interview with a small atheist tv show out of Texas that was pretty mind numbing

I mean the guy he was arguing with was pretty intelligent and articulate but Ray Comfort's voice is like an unrelenting torrent of smug, nothing can stand against it

override367 on
  • Options
    Y'know... the words 'award winning' are stamped all over this garbage. But I don't see any mention of what awards it actually won, or who awarded them.

Can anyone help me out?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The Ender wrote:
    Y'know... the words 'award winning' are stamped all over this garbage. But I don't see any mention of what awards it actually won, or who awarded them.

Can anyone help me out?
    It's an award you literally buy.

Been following this little turd since it came out in October. They're fucking ecstatic it got a million views on Youtube...in about three weeks. Shit, they even have a image of a guy artificially jacking up the views to make it look "viral." They STILL insist that it's viral despite the relatively low views.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options

In this award winning* post by The Ender, I ask Rorus Raz what this award is called, and where you can purchase it from.
    *Awarded Best Electronic Social Community Reply of 2012 by the Internet Global Awareness Organization, which was founded by The Ender as of this post.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    The Ender wrote:

Can anyone help me out?

Been following this little turd since it came out in October. They're fucking ecstatic it got a million views on Youtube...in about three weeks. Shit, they even have a image of a guy artificially jacking up the views to make it look "viral." They STILL insist that it's viral despite the relatively low views.

Now I feel bad about this thread... more attention. More views.

• Options
    The Ender wrote:

In this award winning* post by The Ender, I ask Rorus Raz what this award is called, and where you can purchase it from.
    *Awarded Best Electronic Social Community Reply of 2012 by the Internet Global Awareness Organization, which was founded by The Ender as of this post.

This was 24 words that rocked my world.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    The thing with those is, you don't exactly give a great response to being ambushed on the street

Ambushing people on the street does seem to be Comfort's go-to tactic. When he ambushes the unsuspecting on the street, he can get them to admit they're lying, thieving, murderous blasphemers who need Jesus.

When he engages people in, say, a debate, his buddy Cameron starts waving the Crocoduck around.

• Options
    The thing with those is, you don't exactly give a great response to being ambushed on the street

Ambushing people on the street does seem to be Comfort's go-to tactic. When he ambushes the unsuspecting on the street, he can get them to admit they're lying, thieving, murderous blasphemers who need Jesus.

When he engages people in, say, a debate, his buddy Cameron starts waving the Crocoduck around.

Well, in fairness, Comfort has challenged a few high profile people to debates (most notably, professor Dawkins), but they've all turned him down. Mostly because they don't think it would be a good idea to give him the exposure he craves so much.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Dawkins is willing to debate Comfort on the condition that Comfort donates $100,000 to a charity of Dawkins's choosing. It's exactly for the reason you say: it gives Ray exposure, you will not "beat" a fundie in a debate (they will claim victory no matter what), and it also gives the impression that the matter is still up for debate. The latter there isn't so much the case regarding religion, but evolution was Ray's pet issue until abortion. Debating evolution is like debating Holocaust deniers, only without the antisemitism: it creates the illusion that this is an issue still up in the air.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'd like to see these people go all in and declare the earth is flat.

That would make my year.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Honk wrote:

That would make my year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Earth_Society

• Options
    Honk wrote:

That would make my year.

Most of them claim that there are still dinosaurs living in the Congo, which I think is roughly equivalent.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    The Ender wrote:
    Honk wrote:

That would make my year.

Most of them claim that there are still dinosaurs living in the Congo, which I think is roughly equivalent.

Is there actually a concrete definition for "dinosaur"? Would a crocodile qualify, since it's been largely unchanged over tens of millions of years and pretty much looks like a dinosaur, or does something have to actually possess traits X, Y and Z to get the coveted "dinosaur" label?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The Ender wrote:
    Honk wrote:

That would make my year.

As much as I'd like there to be, I'm fairly certain the opportunity to ride to school on a t-rex has passed before my time.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote:
    The Ender wrote:
    Honk wrote:

That would make my year.

Is there actually a concrete definition for "dinosaur"? Would a crocodile qualify, since it's been largely unchanged over tens of millions of years and pretty much looks like a dinosaur, or does something have to actually possess traits X, Y and Z to get the coveted "dinosaur" label?

Using a strict phylogenetic definition, birds are dinosaurs so dinosaurs aren't extinct.

gotsig.jpg
  • Options

What Sicarii said. Crocodiles are Arcosaurs, if I recall correctly.

So, yes, technically there are dinosaurs still alive, and also dinosaurs in the Congo. I should've been more specific; many creationists claim that a Sauropod or two are living in the Congo.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    That's close enough for me. There is still a chance that I will someday ride a dinosaur, so I am happy.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Dawkins is willing to debate Comfort on the condition that Comfort donates $100,000 to a charity of Dawkins's choosing. It's exactly for the reason you say: it gives Ray exposure, you will not "beat" a fundie in a debate (they will claim victory no matter what), and it also gives the impression that the matter is still up for debate. The latter there isn't so much the case regarding religion, but evolution was Ray's pet issue until abortion. Debating evolution is like debating Holocaust deniers, only without the antisemitism: it creates the illusion that this is an issue still up in the air.

Matt Dillahunty debated Ray Comfort for an hour on the Atheist Experience. It pretty much solidifies how useless Comfort is in a debate. Completely and utterly incapable of listening, too.

Paragon on