Jabrosky's Non-Webcomic Art (dinosaurs and fantasy warriors)

JabroskyJabrosky Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Artist's Corner
All of these were taken from my DA page:

kasaqa__kentake_of_kush_by_jabrosky-d4ndbt4.jpg
African Warrior Queen

utahraptor_portrait_by_jabrosky-d4p6m8w.jpg
Utahraptor portrait

pygmy_vs_t__rex_by_jabrosky-d466tyk.jpg
Pygmy vs T. Rex

beauty_and_the_beast_by_jabrosky-d4osy1d.jpg
Beauty and the Beast

brontosaurus_by_jabrosky-d4figck.jpg
Brontosaurus

fs7[img][/img]1/f/2011/306/b/8/pentaceratops_on_the_plains_by_jabrosky-d4ewfji.jpg
Pentaceratops with young

daspletosaurus_by_jabrosky-d4e8cs8.jpg
Daspletosaurus

shepsit_the_ranger_by_jabrosky-d4ok8t1.jpg
African Ranger

assyrian_soldier_by_jabrosky-d4p48uq.jpg
Assyrian Soldier

egyptian_peasant_village_by_jabrosky-d4om006.jpg
African Peasant Village

queen_of_the_nile_by_jabrosky-d3i69fz.jpg
Egyptian Queen

Jabrosky on

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    Hello, Jabrosky, please use your previous thread for your designs.

• JabroskyJabrosky Registered User regular

But I'm reserving that for my webcomic.

• Spectre-xSpectre-x Registered User regular
    Jabrosky wrote:

But I'm reserving that for my webcomic.

That's nice but if you make a new thread for every little thing you're working on or want to show us, you'll clutter up the whole god damned forum.

So people generally confine their art to one thread, with smaller stuff going in the doodle thread. You do realize that this is an internet forum and you can pretty much post as much art in your own thread as you want, right? There's a lot of room on the internet.

So yeah, it's nice that you want to save that thread for your webcomic but put your stuff there anyway.

As for your art, people in your webcomic thread already mentioned that you might want to focus on anatomy and structure and whatnot a bit more because that stuff is just a really good foundation and your stylized stuff gets better as you get better at the more realistic stuff.

That being said, your pygmy is the tallest man alive. I mean, if he's supposed to be a pygmy, jesus. Have you seen how big a t-rex skull is compared to someone of average height? Maybe it's just a tiny t-rex, or it's way off in the distance, which would make sense since the pygmy dude's aiming at something way off to the left and in front of the t-rex. There's just no perspective in any of these whatsoever. That's partially due to the colouring, which is very, very, very flat.

I mean, your stuff isn't terrible. It's just incredibly flawed, and you'd improve immensely if you really practised your anatomy, perspective, proportions, structure and whatnot for a bit. Seriously. Cannot stress this enough. And Some of your comments in the other thread suggest to me that you're satisfied with your art and kind of complacent. Maybe. Don't read too much into this because I am sleepy right now, but always try to do better than what you did before. Never take your skill for granted. There's always room for improvement. Don't hate your stuff, that's counterproductive, but you should still always try to improve.

Spectre-x wrote:
    And Some of your comments in the other thread suggest to me that you're satisfied with your art and kind of complacent.

Honestly, I don't plan to get into any kind of profession with my drawing, and since I do have my fans elsewhere on the Internet, I don't really perceive much incentive to improve. It's only a hobby.

I promise I won't return to this community until I get better though.

• Spectre-xSpectre-x Registered User regular
    I think that's probably for the best.

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Jabrosky wrote:

I promise I won't return to this community until I get better though.

That isn't really the point. This isn't really a showcase of good people, this is a place where anyone can come and learn, of any skill level. It doesn't even require that much effort on your part to improve, simply read what people have to say about your work and it will ALWAYS FROM HENCEFORTH nag in your brain, and you will get better over time.

Getting better doesn't have to be some arduous process. It is just something that happens the more you do ANYTHING.

Keep posting. (Just post in one thread :P)

Also internet fandom is a fucking joke. Don't believe it for a minute, ESPECIALLY not on DA.

ninjai on
    ninjai wrote:
    That isn't really the point. This isn't really a showcase of good people, this is a place where anyone can come and learn, of any skill level. It doesn't even require that much effort on your part to improve, simply read what people have to say about your work and it will ALWAYS FROM HENCEFORTH nag in your brain, and you will get better over time.

Getting better doesn't have to be some arduous process. It is just something that happens the more you do ANYTHING.

Keep posting. (Just post in one thread :P)

How about my next post in this thread feature some kind of anatomy or perspective studies to show people that I'm working on improvement?

Hell, I'll post a few sketches I drew a long time ago. There actually was a time when I put some effort into improving my art, but I confess to having slacked on it in recent months.

standing_lamp_still_life_by_jabrosky-d4d1tjj.jpg

desk_lamp_still_life_by_jabrosky-d437yph.jpg

sketches_1_by_jabrosky-d3ix6s0.jpg

• ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    That's just it man, you don't have to do any of that "nose to the grindstone" stuff to get really great feedback from the awesome people on this forum. Just post what you draw, LISTEN to what people have to say, and you can improve.

ninjai on
    One of my hobbies is designing fantasy worlds. I don't know what to do with this one just yet, but I hope to use it for online role-playing.

the_continent_of_mundia_by_jabrosky-d4p9qsp.png

The Continent of Mundia

Norlund: This vast region of temperate forests and prairies in Mundia's north is the home of the Norvolk, a race of white-skinned, nomadic hunter-gatherers. The Norvolk are divided into numerous squabbling tribes that each have a democratic governmental structure in which chieftains are popularly elected. Despite their general technological backwardness, the Norvolk do have ferrous metallurgy and are formidably ferocious warriors, making them popular as mercenaries for more advanced nations.
    Shangchi: A powerful and technologically advanced empire once stretched across this archipelago off the continent's northeastern coastline, but it has since splintered into numerous feudal kingdoms in a chronic state of war with each other. Nonetheless, the yellow-complexioned Shangchinese have maintained their imperial ancestors' tradition of technological development; they are the only race in the world to have gunpowder and their warships can be famously gigantic.
    Tizotl: Inhabiting a temperate to semitropical river valley, the Tizotli are distantly related both physically and genetically to the Shangchinese, and like their eastern neighbors, they suffer from constant internecine warfare. They are famous for their terraced, earthen pyramid-temples and sophisticated calendar, although in general they have inferior technology to the Shangchinese (e.g. they lack gunpowder).
    Al'Tarid: The olive-skinned people inhabiting this desert region used to live as mutually hostile nomads, but ever since the prophet and warlord Yaghoub brought them together under one polytheistic religion, they have enjoyed peace as a tribal confederation governed by a council of priests. The Taridim's civilization has prospered as a consequence of farming alongside oases and commerce.
    Kembwe: The black-skinned Kembweans have Mundia's most ancient civilization, which is famous for its monumental stone architecture, advanced mathematics and medicine, and beautiful sculptures. The kingdom is governed by a hereditary monarch who can be either male or female but is always believed to be descended from the sun goddess Khamunra.
    Mbutwa: Although the Mbutwans are distantly related to the Kembweans, they are slightly lighter-skinned and much shorter in stature. These crafty pygmy people stick to a hunter-gatherer lifestyle that has served them well in the lush rainforests southwest of Kembwe. They are famous for their poison-tipped arrows which are capable of killing elephants and other large animals.
    Zinju: The Zinjuans are a black people closely related to the Kembweans and sharing their northern neighbors' affinity for stone architecture. However, they are much more cosmopolitan and commercial than the conservative Kembweans and have established trade links with the Taridim, Tizotli, and Shangchinese. The Zinjuans have also colonized the island of Malaki off Mundia's southeastern coastline; it provides them with most of the gold they are famous for.

And here's two pieces of concept art for people from Mundia:

tizotli_chief_by_jabrosky-d4paedi.jpg
    Tizotli Chief

obsidian_healer_by_jabrosky-d4p7vkx.jpg
    Kembwean Priestess/Healer

mundian_dragon_by_jabrosky-d4pcord.jpg
    Dragons (genus Megalovaranus) are by far the largest terrestrial predators in Mundia, residing in the continent's hot southern regions. There are four known species of dragon: the savanna dragon (M. kembwensis) shown here, the pale-striped desert dragon (M. taridensis), the dark-striped jungle dragon (M. selvae), and the relatively small Malakian Dragon (M. malakiensis). All belong to the monitor lizard family, but their metabolism is significantly higher than that of other lizards in order to better compete with mammmals. They will eat any animals they come across, including humans, but are particularly fond of large game such as elephants and rhinoceroses.

To give you a perspective of how big this guy is, that zebra he's eating was fully grown.

Couple of historical portraits:

ankhesenamun__bride_of_tut_by_jabrosky-d4qvhf4.jpg
    Portrait of Ankhesenamun, an Egyptian queen who was at one point married to the boy pharaoh Tutankhamun. After Tut died, she apparently sent a letter to the Hittite King Suppiluliumas requesting that she be married to one of his sons. In response, the king sent his youngest son Zanannza, who was murdered en route to Egypt. Some suspect the murderer was Ay, Tut's former adviser, who may have ultimately married Ankhesenamun instead.

I put more effort into shading and highlighting her skin than usual, relying heavily on a photo reference of some random model for both the facial features and skin tone values. I don't like how the cheek highlights came out, but I hope this is an improvement over my usual work.

julius_caesar_portrait_by_jabrosky-d4qxhzv.jpg
    Portrait of Julius Caesar, the most famous of the Republican Roman statesmen.

His nose was impossible to get right. The facial features were drawn using a bust of him as a reference and the skin tones were sampled from a modern Italian model.

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Don't use different shades of the same color when shading. Think of what lights are affecting the tones, also, a lot of the places where two parts of skin are close to each other it'll be more saturated because the light bounces from one side to the other. Highlights should be more in the direction of the light-source's color while shadows are in the direction of the light-source's contrast. Say you have a yellow-orange light source (the sun), then your midtones and highlights will be in that direction while the shadows would be (reference with a color wheel when in doubt) a dark blue-violet. Also, easy on the soft brushes there, remember that there are hard shadows (cast shadows) and soft shadows, whose intensity depends on the form of the body.
    And if you're using the burn and dodge tools or similar, stop doing that.

Sorry for necro-ing this months-old thread, but I'm particularly proud of this portrait, and the folks on DeviantArt are saying it's my best drawing ever:
    andromeda__s_portrait_by_brandonspilcher-d52qur6.jpg
    This is Andromeda, an Ethiopian princess from Greek mythology who married the demigod Perseus (of Clash of the Titans fame) after he rescued her from a sea monster.

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    I admire your confidence.

Regarding the coloured drawings, as it has been said before, they are a bit flat, and saturated, and the drawings would look much better if you tone them down a bit, wich will help you get better light/dark contrasts whenever you get into that. The Tizotli Chief for example, I love the colours you chose for him, they are not very bright, they add to the image instead of distract, I think you should go that way color-wise.

About the last drawing, I also think its the best, from this thread at least, I havent checked your stuff at DA yet. As you get better at drawing, and becoming more confident, dont be afraid to use some variation in the head poses, its very comfortable to stick to frontal view, full profile view, and 3/4 profile view, but if you get TOO comfortable it becomes hard to get out of it (it has happened to me). So even if the first attempts may look considerably worse than your standard views, do give it a try, it will allow you to make more interesting poses, it will broaden your expressing posibilities.