As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

OLD [STEAM] Thread: CLOSE ME

• Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    busfahrer wrote:
    Seeing how Steam is down anyway, I can relate some useless anecdotes to you guys.

You know when something bugs you only slightly, but you don't notice it actively, so you can't do anything about it?

I just realized that I always thought that it was weird that people referred to "Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight" as Dark Forces II. I also realized that the reason for this is that Dark Forces I was censored here in Germany, so the sequel was released as just Jedi Knight.

Awesome story, huh?

What happened in Dark Forces 1 that made it censorable? Just the FPS genre in general being not acceptable at the time of it's release?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    busfahrer wrote:
    Seeing how Steam is down anyway, I can relate some useless anecdotes to you guys.

You know when something bugs you only slightly, but you don't notice it actively, so you can't do anything about it?

I just realized that I always thought that it was weird that people referred to "Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight" as Dark Forces II. I also realized that the reason for this is that Dark Forces I was censored here in Germany, so the sequel was released as just Jedi Knight.

Awesome story, huh?

I love the numbering in that series.

Especially Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

bottom fell out, lulz

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Steam Community has been buggy as hell lately for sure, probably due to the fact that they are dealing with an aftermath of the Xmas sale, plus they are trying roll out Steam Mobile which creates an increased load on the cloudsync.

I swear, a few days of buggy spurts and some of you are ready to make wild ass accusations about a budget you no zero about at all.

What... what aftermath? This isn't like a physical store; there aren't servers knocked over by stampeding shoppers or half eaten copies of Super Meat Boy on isle 5. The Christmas sale had a ton more traffic than this anyway.

Also, Christmas was a month and a half ago.

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Triple B wrote:

I've seen enough share price graphs like this in the past to recognise a catastrophic event!

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    busfahrer wrote:

Awesome story, huh?

I love the numbering in that series.

Especially Dark Forces IV: Jedi Knight III: Jedi Outcast II: Jedi Academy

I need to see some kind of official source to prove that was really considered the name. :P Every reference I can find just calls it Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy.

• Options
    Echo wrote:
    urahonky wrote:
    Alright everyone. Let's not get crazy with this "outside" talk.

500986412_3bMLm-L-2.jpg

Gotta put on my welding gloves and motorcycle helmet.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    urahonky wrote:
    Alright everyone. Let's not get crazy with this "outside" talk.

500986412_3bMLm-L-2.jpg

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Idx86 wrote:
    busfahrer wrote:
    What happened in Dark Forces 1 that made it censorable? Just the FPS genre in general being not acceptable at the time of it's release?
    If I remember correctly it was related to the dead burnt bodies in Mission to Talay.

fBnIs.jpg

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    envoy1 wrote:
    Triple B wrote:

I've seen enough share price graphs like this in the past to recognise a catastrophic event!

Is Football Manager 2012 really more popular than everything except Counter-Strike and Skyrim? What am I missing out on here? o_O

• Options
    Holy shit, the Steam outage has even caused a negative time wedgie on this forum.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I am posting from your future.

• Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    Frem wrote:
    envoy1 wrote:
    Triple B wrote:

Is Football Manager 2012 really more popular than everything except Counter-Strike and Skyrim? What am I missing out on here? o_O

Pretty sure everyone outside the U.S. enjoys the Football Manager game.

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Uh-oh. Now the forums are going all wonky. @Gaslight just quoted @Echo a full minute before @Echo even posted.

• Options
    I have already read your posts before you even post them. I have read all the posts.

• Options
    So... Not so "uninterruptible."

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    NBA 2k12 needs to adjust Jeremy Lin's stats.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So... Not so "uninterruptible."

Hehe, ya I was just chuckling over that. The uninterruptable ps's interrupted power supply.

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    striderjg wrote:

How does this happen? Isn't this the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do?

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    We moved 2 pages in under an hour. And that's with Steam down. Jeez you guys, I think we may have problems.

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Lepwave wrote:
    Frem wrote:
    envoy1 wrote:
    Triple B wrote:

Pretty sure everyone outside the U.S. enjoys the Football Manager game.

that game seems to be like crack for football fans, I know people who have a PC for facebook and Football Manager

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    The irony... it burns.

Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
  • Options
    "These powers supplies are not as uninterruptible as previously indicated."

But I guess a UPS can suffer a mechanical failure like anything else.

I thought the point of a UPS was just to provide temporary power in the event of an outage of regular power, though? So...there was a power outage in Bellevue WA and their UPSes just happened to bite it?

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    @Frem
    A host of new games, accounts, and increased overall activity is going to have a long-term effect collided with all the other natural issues that occur in the digital jungle for this type of data management.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    19i2I.png

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • Options
    Guys I don't think we spent enough time talking about girl scout cookies.

thin mints suck :D

• Options
    ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    I notice some steam sigs are working.

Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
  • Options
    busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:

I thought the point of a UPS was just to provide temporary power in the event of an outage of regular power, though? So...there was a power outage in Bellevue WA and their UPSes just happened to bite it?

I think it's because the UPS sits between the servers and the power grid. So if the UPS dies, your servers die too, even if the power grid is fine.

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • Options
    ParielPariel Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Gaslight wrote:

Actually, UPSes in data center serve primarily to regulate the power going in. In all likelihood, the data center has a large set of batteries that will last 15-60 minutes, and gas-powered generators which will last several days which actually supply the power.
    @Frem
    A host of new games, accounts, and increased overall activity is going to have a long-term effect collided with all the other natural issues that occur in the digital jungle for this type of data management.

Except that people who do this plan well in advance for events like the winter sale and releasing the Steam app. Proof is in the pudding: the downtime is entirely due to hardware.

Pariel on
  • Options
    Pariel wrote:
    Actually, UPSes in data center serve primarily to regulate the power going in.

I figured someone who was more familiar with these things would chime in. So if that's the case and the UPS regulating incoming power had some kind of fault, I can see how that would have major repercussions...

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Gaslight wrote:
    Pariel wrote:
    Actually, UPSes in data center serve primarily to regulate the power going in.

I figured someone who was more familiar with these things would chime in. So if that's the case and the UPS regulating incoming power had some kind of fault, I can see how that would have major repercussions...

I'm suddenly having flashbacks of watching the Green Mile.
    the goddamn sponge is dry! D:

Triple B on
  • Options
    In theory a UPS could short out and cut off all power to whatever is plugged into it, making is worse than useless.

• Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Pariel wrote:
    Gaslight wrote:

Actually, UPSes in data center serve primarily to regulate the power going in. In all likelihood, the data center has a large set of batteries that will last 15-60 minutes, and gas-powered generators which will last several days which actually supply the power.
    @Frem

Except that people who do this plan well in advance for events like the winter sale and releasing the Steam app. Proof is in the pudding: the downtime is entirely due to hardware.

It's nice to know that Steam could be up and running, even in an apocalypse scenario. :P

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Triple B wrote: »
    Guys I don't think we spent enough time talking about girl scout cookies.

thin mints suck :D

I have missed like every Steam thread since the end of the winter sale, but I'm glad I jumped in here.

I miss the 'regular' GS cookies. Vanilla and Chocolate with respectively flavored cream centres. I believe they're still produced, but anytime I've seen them for sale, it's always thin mints, which are okay, but they don't hold the nostalgia from when my sister used to sell them.

And the finest cookies they've ever made were the ones with peanut butter filling instead of vanilla/chocolate cream. I miss those as well.

Strangely, despite being in a major metropolitan area, I never see them being sold around town. I work at the largest shopping centre in the province, so you'd think they'd set something up either on the property or just outside.

All this because I can't log into TF2 to shoot mans. Come back soon Steam!

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    I would like to chime in and say that in the super-small environment I work in, it takes us about 2 hours to get everything back on and running. This is about 25VMs, 22 physical servers and all the storage associated with them. (about one per - depending on the type of server.)
    So...
    it may be awhile.

"lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Pariel wrote:
    Gaslight wrote:

@Frem

Because plans clearly go as planned, all the time. Your statement is out of context in response to mine, as I wasn't looking for any pudding or proof that may lie within. I was originally saying that silly geese tend to jump the gun when saying our money isn't being used correctly. I frown at those statements.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:

Depending on the path, your UPS going to hell will interrupt the line, since they're between you and street power and everything else. They're just there to smooth things over in a transition, or alert your servers to shit going down so they can cleanly turn themselves off.

Server -> UPS -> Generator -> Street. If you didn't spend a lot of cash setting up some ways around that, the piece that handles all the switching can bomb out badly. Usually what I've seen happen though is poor monitoring on the UPS and something like a brownout causing the flip to generator not to happen. So your UPS gets drained, goes empty, and suddenly you notice it's really dark in there. This happened frequently to DC's power grid and voltage level triggers to turn on the generators. The UPS is only supposed to last a few minutes.

• Options
    Store appears to be back for real this time. Still no Community yet, but I did just get a barrage of "So-and-so is playing..." notifications so I take that as a positive sign.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    It's quite confusing to me, as I had worked in a Data Center for a major company at one point and was charge of power. We had A and B power coming from two different grids. We had A and B UPS's so if one set shit the bed, the other was there. And lastly, as spoken of before, was the diesel generator capable of running the whole thing for ever(or until fuel was no longer able to be procured).

My point? I would have assumed that Steam was using a 99.99999% Uptime policy service.

Oh and for Internet, we were on the backbone and provider neutral so we had all the big players pipes to the internet. Was fun when we broke off an OC3 into our data center one time to play with.

50433.png?1708759015
This discussion has been closed.