As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Call of Duty] BLOPS2 The Game With No Last Stand Or Dead Man's Hand

• CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Huh. The trailer actually makes it look decent. Bland, but decent. Still disapointed the tutorial isn't going to be
    Mason
    killing Kennedy.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Man.

I was hoping for more whacky historic conspiracy hi-jinks. Now it's even more like every other FPS.

Spoiler alert

Woods goes back in time and unleashes hoards of zombies in the past and you have to help George Washington fight them off
    george_washington_zombiehunter_by_sharpwriter-d3blw90.png

However while doing so you unwittingly stop the JFK assassination by bringing JFK to the future. You also unwittingly stop the allies from winning WW2 and the Nazis end up landing on the moon and colonizing it. Needless to say this pissed JFK off and well...
    john_f__kennedy_alien_hunter_by_sharpwriter-d4pkjm8.jpg

iRevert on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    I was hoping for more whacky historic conspiracy hi-jinks.

May still be, considering parts of it are set in the 80s.

Oh, you laugh now.

But I would play the shit out of Call of Duty: Powdered Wig Ops

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I think I found my next desktop...

newSig.jpg
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    I think I found my next desktop...

http://sharpwriter.deviantart.com/

I've got Teddy vs Bigfoot as my second monitors desktop.

• Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    I would like to see JFK Alien Hunter in moving form.

I would like to see JFK Alien Hunter in moving form.

He moves like a well oiled gazelle.

I'll be curious to see how weird they'll let the weapons get. If they let me do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHoIMBXKSos

It's a day one purchase.

Skynet is the real enemy in Black Ops2.

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    The trailer character TOTALLY looks like Francis from Left 4 Dead. Just saying.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Holy shit! How is Woods still alive?! Thats awesome... Calling it now, BLOPS Deux is going to be the best CoD campaign ever. If MP keeps the Strike Packages from MW3 this'll be just the best thing.

I have ultra low expectations for Blops2, but this still interests me some to see how the multiplayer pans out. If they scrap the whole slow pace BLOPS multi for a faster MW2 type multiplayer I'll be getting it but if its like blops was I'm passing on it.

They haven't said anything about the MP, but Giantbomb have posted an article that makes this sound very interesting. You do indeed play respective levels in the 1980s and 2025, with points in the story where you can make choices that might impact how later missions play (this was not clearly defined at all). Additionally there are missions that blend an RTS aspect with a special ops team trying to do objectives on (presumably) repurposed MP maps. These are actually failable and will apparently change later missions if you do fail them (but the game carries on). In general, they seem to be trying to address the "entirely linear railroaded story" aspect of the game to some degree.

The giantbomb article writes more, but in general if this is what they're doing then I am actually interested in the game based on that. I was never going to buy CoD v1.8 (or whatever we're on now), but doing something actually different for the series I approve of. Especially as I liked Black Ops a lot more than Modern Warfare 2 or Modern Warfare 3 in just about every respect.

Also MP is set entirely in 2025 gameplay wise (which is about the only thing they have said about MP now I think of it, yes that does contradict my opening sentence) and there will be a returning Zombie mode.

So yeah I don't know how they did it, but I went from being entirely "I don't give a shit" to "Yeah, I'm interested".

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    MP should just be quad copter dog fights.

Quad copter dog fights on horseback.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    That GB article sounds interesting.
    Considering I actually play these games for both Multi and single player that could be fun.

newSig.jpg
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    iRevert wrote: »
    Holy shit! How is Woods still alive?! Thats awesome... Calling it now, BLOPS Deux is going to be the best CoD campaign ever. If MP keeps the Strike Packages from MW3 this'll be just the best thing.

I have ultra low expectations for Blops2, but this still interests me some to see how the multiplayer pans out. If they scrap the whole slow pace BLOPS multi for a faster MW2 type multiplayer I'll be getting it but if its like blops was I'm passing on it.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, man, and say that if you didn't like BLOPs, just save yourself the frustration and skip BLOPs Deux. Everything I've read and heard from the developers indicates that they're looking to refine the Black Ops model -part of which means distancing itself entirely from the Modern Warfare model- and while I think that's a good thing, it doesn't sound like something you're interested in.

At this point, guys, I think we should all be honest with ourselves: the Black Ops series appeals to a certain kind of player, and the Modern Warfare series appeals to another. I had really high hopes that Modern Warfare 3 would borrow the successful elements of Black Ops, and be something more than just Modern Warfare 2.5, but I got burned. It's pretty clear that the two developers have completely different gameplay models, and I think it's probably better for everyone's blood pressure if they just don't buy BLOPs2 if they didn't like BLOPs.

I certainly will never purchase another Infinity Ward game. I know I won't like it. No matter how much I try to convince myself I will, or that they've changed, or that the series is headed in a different direction ... I know now that it's all bullshit. Infinity Ward aims to produce one kind of game, and Treyarch aims to produce another.

We'll see in November if BLOPs was a fluke or not. Maybe it was? If the multiplayer experience is bad, though, I will say this: it'll be the nail in the coffin of the Call of Duty series, as far as I'm concerned. I think the setting change is kind of cool, and I'm hoping it'll be just the kind of shake-up the series needs to freshen shit up a bit. If it's bad, though, it's bad. And that'll be that.

• GccPoseidonGccPoseidon Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So I like a town in Ohio, Joshgotro used the promised lube, and Black Ops 2 is set in the future. It's been a fucked up week. o_O

Edit: For real though, Joshgotro's a good guy, even if he did sell his xbox.

GccPoseidon on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So I like a town in Ohio, Joshgotro used the promised lube, and Black Ops 2 is set in the future. It's been a fucked up week. o_O

WAAAAAAAAAAT?! Josh is a good dude to CoD with... this makes me sad.

Also, BLOPS Deux preodered, the cycle continues! :rotate: So glad they've decided to go with Frank Woods as their "John Price" character instead of dumb ol Reznov.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I will miss Gary Oldman, though. There's no good way to make a figment of the imagination pass from father to son.

Gary Oldman should do more voice work.

Well, maybe he'll show up in the 1980's portions if you still play as Mason. I hope Hudson's still in the game too, I liked Hudson.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    walking tanks? color me intrigued.

all we need now is time travel in the story. Mason a playable character in 2025 or whatever because that's his real timeline and was actually sent back in time (at the end of blops2) to allow the cold war to play out for reals so that we wouldn't get the worse China-America hot-cold war, but lost his memory in the jump and that's what the numbers really mean and the whole thing of Russian brainwashing was a red herring.
    For the record, I never made it past the oil drums part in blops so I'm probably making less sense with this nonsense theory than I think I'm making

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

WAAAAAAAAAAT?! Josh is a good dude to CoD with... this makes me sad.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact he's moving out into the middle of nowhere with no internet so he can be "self-sufficient" and green or some shit. Why would you let him do that, GccPoseidon? Bad friend!

And I can't agree with you, tibbly, on wanting Black Ops 2 to be more like Infinity Ward's outings. I like that it's its own game. I don't want the same thing every year.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    walking tanks? color me intrigued.

all we need now is time travel in the story. Woods a playable character in 2025 or whatever because that's his real timeline and was actually sent back in time (at the end of blops2) to allow the cold war to play out for reals so that we wouldn't get the worse China-America hot-cold war, but lost his memory in the jump and that's what the numbers really mean and the whole thing of Russian brainwashing was a red herring.
    For the record, I never made it past the oil drums part in blops so I'm probably making less sense with this nonsense theory than I think I'm making

Yeah... I don't think any of that will happen in BLOPS 2. :P

DO you mean you never got past the hill in Khe Sahn? The Napalm barrels n stuff? Because the big deal about Woods being in BLOPS Deux is the last time you see him in BLOPS he's tackling Krevchenko out a window and then blows up. I'm interested to see how they explain that one...heh

• sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2012
    I just read that David Goyer is writing. Damn it all.

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Also, BLOPS Deux preodered, the cycle continues!

Why would you preorder it already? It'll be, like, $45 and come with a free year of Xbox Live if you wait till, like, 2 weeks before release to preorder.

Burtletoy wrote: »

Why would you preorder it already? It'll be, like, $45 and come with a free year of Xbox Live if you wait till, like, 2 weeks before release to preorder.

Really? That never happens for CoD games...

• DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    sPider817 wrote: »

Like, "damn it all, now I have to get this" or "damn it all, this is terrible?"

Because I don't know who this is.

edited May 2012

He wrote the first Black Ops game, all three Blade movies, Jumper, and the story for the three recent Batman movies.

Dashui on

Really? That never happens for CoD games...

Pretty sure it does.

Dashui wrote: »

He wrote the first Black Ops game, all three Blade movies, Jumper, and the story for the three recent Batman movies.

Which Batman movies? That's the important question.

Dashui wrote: »

Which Batman movies? That's the important question.

Vacorsis wrote:
    the three recent Batman movies.

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    So, the ones with Keaton and Val Kilmer, right?

:rotate:

...My brain skipped the "the". I'm dumb today, for reference: I made a mad dash for work this morning because I woke up at 7:16 and my brain told me I had 16 minutes until 8:00.

I need a vacation :P

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Implying this is going to be different in any way from MW3.

We can only hope that Treyarch continues their history of doing their best to fix IW's fuckups.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    jonny439 wrote: »
    Don't really feel what they are doing with this. Also like others have said this doesn't really feel like "black ops" when giant mechs and drones are flying around all crazy.

That's what the bad guys are doing it doesn't really show what the good guys are doing which implies that what the character is doing is hunting down the people controlling the mechs and not engaging in all out fights with drones.

• belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Interesting.

• MusicoolMusicool Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Got pulled into playing some MW3 for the first time in months. We lost our first game warming up (and broke my 75 game streak) but got into the flow afterward. I noticed the USAS is the new Striker now, with everyone and their dog trying it out.

42-8 with the USAS I maxed out before it was cool. Still got it.

Musicool on
    I disagree completely.

hAmmONd IsnT A mAin TAnk
    unbelievablejugsphp.png
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    You know what would be awesome? Wild west of...Duty? They could totally bring back the Tony Hawk, everyone would be using six shooters and reloading all the time. It would be fantastic.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    You know what would be awesome? Wild west of...Duty? They could totally bring back the Tony Hawk, everyone would be using six shooters and reloading all the time. It would be fantastic.

You could just play Red Dead Redemption.

Musicool wrote: »
    Got pulled into playing some MW3 for the first time in months. We lost our first game warming up (and broke my 75 game streak) but got into the flow afterward. I noticed the USAS is the new Striker now, with everyone and their dog trying it out.

42-8 with the USAS I maxed out before it was cool. Still got it.

I went back to the striker last prestige after using the USAS as my shotgun for the previous two.

USAS is good, don't get me wrong, the the Striker is the new Striker.