As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Whitney Houston is dead.

2»

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Do celebrities have to hang out with completely unfunny and party-obsessed people that are bad to have relationships with and party with in the long run? Could they perhaps try to explore life and society outside of designated areas? I realize they may have to live in certain areas due to sheer convention and proximity to certain movie/music-production facilities, but will their careers really take a hit if they don't hang out with turbulent, substance-addicted people and form relationships with normal people? Some of these lucky and wealthy celebrities grew up being not that different from me, and I just can't understand why so many of them turn into UFOs just because they suddenly got it made. I'd like to think I would at least try not to turn into Britney Spears and fuck everything up if I became famous.

It's like when Wesley Snipes cheated on his taxes - I'm all like "Way to shit up a great situation, jackass".

Absalon on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote:
    Do celebrities have to hang out with completely unfunny and party-obsessed people that are bad to have relationships with and party with in the long run? Could they perhaps try to explore life and society outside of designated areas? I realize they may have to live in certain areas due to sheer convention and proximity to certain movie/music-production facilities, but will their careers really take a hit if they don't hang out with turbulent, substance-addicted people and form relationships with normal people? Some of these lucky and wealthy celebrities grew up being not that different from me, and I just can't understand why so many of them turn into UFOs just because they suddenly got it made. I'd like to think I would at least try not to turn into Britney Spears and fuck everything up if I became famous.

It's like when Wesley Snipes cheated on his taxes - I'm all like "Way to shit up a great situation, jackass".

It's the ego, when you're constantly surrounded by people telling you how amazing you are, you start believing it and expecting everyone to be like that. Everyone else is below them, they can get away with anything, they're so important no one will question it etc. Basically they turn out like that because they have poor impulse control and society encourages it.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    True. Maradona came from very humble circumstances and was suddenly thrown into a whole new world where the Beautiful People stuck a lot of things under his nose. Hookers and blow being the two major things. Now he looks like ho-hum incarnate.

I just get annoyed when people with an enviable degree of financial stability decide to have the worst kind of lifestyles and relationships. It is a bit dispiriting.

Absalon on
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote:

How many non-celebrities venture outside their own tiny worlds?

Why would a celebrity, who is treated quite nicely in his or her own world, venture out then? Do you know people who regularly give up privilege and status just for the heck of it?

And are you really suggesting that celebrities grew up in similar conditions as your own? Were you also a child singer put on stage in front of thousands? What happened?

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I think I should have used more qualifiers and specificity when describing the situations here.

But let's take Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who grew up poor and then became one of the most famous, popular and successful football players in Swedish history. He's hella normal. Maradona came from humble upbringings but when he turned pro and popular he put half of Colombia inside his sinuses.

The privilege and status you talk about here comes at a price - but you can still have privilege and status outside of more destructive and drug-infested groups, no?

And yes, many celebrities did have similar conditions to mine, apart from the fact that they spent many hours a week outside of school with their pastime or hobby. That's a critical difference, but not one that should lead to such peculiar behavior.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxIN79n4jVo

Absalon on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I've seen my share of programs (mostly on VH1) about self-destructive celebrities, and for some reason they really feel they HAVE to do that shit for approval. They need therapy, big time. And not the enabling kind of therapy, like they need fucking serious help.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    wandering wrote:
    Detharin wrote:
    Don't these things come in threes?
    Nope.

Well, sort of. When a prominent celebrity dies, the media and the public hype up the next two semi-notable deaths so the fairy tale is preserved. So we'll wind up with "Whitney Houston died! And also the voice of the Taco Bell dog! And... uh... that guy who dresses up like an old dude and dances in Six Flags commercials! THREES, I SAY!"

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    oh whitney houston, i will always love you

• Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    unfortunately now you have nothing

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote:
    wandering wrote:
    Detharin wrote:
    Nope.

Well, sort of. When a prominent celebrity dies, the media and the public hype up the next two semi-notable deaths so the fairy tale is preserved. So we'll wind up with "Whitney Houston died! And also the voice of the Taco Bell dog! And... uh... that guy who dresses up like an old dude and dances in Six Flags commercials! THREES, I SAY!"

The important thing is that Abe Vigoda is still alive.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    wandering wrote:
    Detharin wrote:
    Nope.

Abe Vigoda will bury us all.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    wandering wrote:
    Detharin wrote:
    Nope.

I use to have the Abe Vigoda Firefox Extension (now gone). It displayed the word "Yes" down at the bottom right, just to let you know that he was still alive.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Her talent was AMAZING. I don't take that away from her. Her decent into drugs was her choice, and she had so many opportunities to get clean. She fact she wasted her talent is sad. The fact she died for drugs is pathetic. I get amazed when someone famous dies and people act like it was their mom or dad that kicked it. How much remorse was there for our fellow Penny Arcade follower (Saint Majik)who just died at a young age, right at christmas due to Cystic Fibrosis? That is sad. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/140653/request-for-a-personal-piece-of-art/p1
    I'll reserve my sympathy for someone who faught to stay alive and didn't piss their life away.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    I don't want to derail, but I seriously teared up reading the tread that @nakedzergling linked to.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3-hY-hlhBg&ob=av2n

My personal favorite.

The thread for Saint Majik is also moving; I don't see it as a contest.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote:

It's the ego, when you're constantly surrounded by people telling you how amazing you are, you start believing it and expecting everyone to be like that. Everyone else is below them, they can get away with anything, they're so important no one will question it etc. Basically they turn out like that because they have poor impulse control and society encourages it.

They're forced to go in certain situations, too. They have go to parties to hang out with the execs or important industry superiors just to get attention or find the time to talk to these people to convince them they're right for jobs IIRC.

The whole culture is fucked up.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Her talent was AMAZING. I don't take that away from her. Her decent into drugs was her choice, and she had so many opportunities to get clean. She fact she wasted her talent is sad. The fact she died for drugs is pathetic. I get amazed when someone famous dies and people act like it was their mom or dad that kicked it. How much remorse was there for our fellow Penny Arcade follower (Saint Majik)who just died at a young age, right at christmas due to Cystic Fibrosis? That is sad. http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/140653/request-for-a-personal-piece-of-art/p1
    I'll reserve my sympathy for someone who faught to stay alive and didn't piss their life away.

I don't get this sentiment. There isn't a limited supply of sympathy, at least not in my heart, so the hell am I reserving it for?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Like if people really reserved things that really matter and were limited, like oil or personal income, then the world would probably be a little better. But no we talk about reserving 'sympathy' like one day it'll run out and we won't have any left for starving children in Africa.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    How I feel boils down to did she seek out the drugs that ruined her life or were they pushed on her? I mean, either way, death sucks but I'll feel ever so slightly less bad if she (while sober) chose to do this to herself.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Absalon wrote:
    I think I should have used more qualifiers and specificity when describing the situations here.

But let's take Zlatan Ibrahimovic, who grew up poor and then became one of the most famous, popular and successful football players in Swedish history. He's hella normal. Maradona came from humble upbringings but when he turned pro and popular he put half of Colombia inside his sinuses.

The privilege and status you talk about here comes at a price - but you can still have privilege and status outside of more destructive and drug-infested groups, no?

And yes, many celebrities did have similar conditions to mine, apart from the fact that they spent many hours a week outside of school with their pastime or hobby. That's a critical difference, but not one that should lead to such peculiar behavior.

Maybe they were different from the get go? Something's gotta drive you to put in all those hours and chose a crazy career path. I think it's also safe to assume Diego Maradona, who was spoken of as a God, was offered far more pussy and blow than Zlatan Ibrahimovich will ever come to know in his lifetime. A lot of it comes down to how that person deals with the massive exposure as well. That shit can break many a good man.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular

Personally?

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Maybe this belongs here?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/feb/13/whitney-houston-album-price?CMP=twt_gu
    Sony Music has come under fire after it increased the price of a Whitney Houston album on Apple's iTunes Store hours after the singer was found dead.

• Options
    Lilnoobs wrote:
    Maybe this belongs here?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/feb/13/whitney-houston-album-price?CMP=twt_gu
    Sony Music has come under fire after it increased the price of a Whitney Houston album on Apple's iTunes Store hours after the singer was found dead.

Yeah, I don't care. Strike while the iron is hot.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    So it goes. She'll be missed.

Lots of famous people I grew up with have passed away recently. It feels odd.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Well Ender, I'm sure the majority of them were older than the majority of us, so they had a head start.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote:
    Absalon wrote:

Maybe they were different from the get go? Something's gotta drive you to put in all those hours and chose a crazy career path. I think it's also safe to assume Diego Maradona, who was spoken of as a God, was offered far more pussy and blow than Zlatan Ibrahimovich will ever come to know in his lifetime. A lot of it comes down to how that person deals with the massive exposure as well. That shit can break many a good man.

Yeah, personality failings aren't really a metric for who achieves fame and fortune. Some people roll the dice and come up 7-11, others labor for years and never find it, such is the caprice of fame. Unfortunately for people like Houston, their turbulent personal lives inevitably play a part in the grand sum of their life. Same deal with Michael Jackson. You can't really discuss them without acknowledging those darker aspects. For Houston, it's really too bad to see talent wasted, and more generally the effects of her rampant drug abuse and eventual death, but I'm also not really gonna pause for much reflection beyond that. My condolences to her family and loved ones.

• Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    Kagera wrote:

I don't get this sentiment. There isn't a limited supply of sympathy, at least not in my heart, so the hell am I reserving it for?

Honest answer? I truly don't know. I don't know if it a jealously thing, or what. I don't really care for mankind. Yes i love people, my wife, my son, my friends and family, but as a whole i think we're a disgusting, petty race of greedy, shitty, vain creatures. I suppose i'm just as guilty for making judgments about others, and it's easy to sit behind a keyboard and take shots at stuff like this. The feeling is just amplified for me when someone who has fame, money, talent, and success just acts so irresponsibly, and i don't know HOW to feel sympathetic for a complete stranger. I also get annoyed at people who never knew her crying like they lost a best friend or something...i just don't "get" it. It seems so alien to me.

I realize i'm doing a poor job of trying to express my lack of sympathy, but that's sort of it.

I do admit that she had an AMAZING talent, but for some reason that makes me even less sympathetic.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Listening to some older live material, I am struck by how perfect her voice was. If I didn't know better I'd claim she was lip syncing.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    New Jersey Flags To Fly At Half-Staff. As a resident of Jersey, I'm not sure how I feel about this. My first reaction was that it seems like something that should be reserved for someone more important (maybe that's the wrong word, but I can't come up with anything better) than a singer. But I'm really not sure how often the flags are lowered, so I have no point of reference on how appropriate it actually is.

• Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    The people that surround her were horrible enablers. Her daughter ended up in the hospital the night of her death after "friends" gave her all kinds of substances to help calm her down followed by alcohol.

If I was going through the loss of one of my parents I cannot see a single friend coming up to me and offering me drugs of any kind to console me. If anything they would keep me away from that stuff because of how mental people can be after such a loss.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Oh, Nancy, is there any tragedy you won't exploit, being the heartless monster you are?

http://www.salon.com/2012/02/15/nancy_grace_is_more_terrible_than_ever/

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Geese_PantsGeese_Pants Registered User regular
    SkannerJAT wrote:
    The people that surround her were horrible enablers. Her daughter ended up in the hospital the night of her death after "friends" gave her all kinds of substances to help calm her down followed by alcohol.

If I was going through the loss of one of my parents I cannot see a single friend coming up to me and offering me drugs of any kind to console me. If anything they would keep me away from that stuff because of how mental people can be after such a loss.

Last relative I had that kicked it I got good and shit faced. Last friend I had that died I also got good and shit faced.

There is nothing inherently wrong with get tanked on whatever, provided you don't have a problem with it. Drinking scotch when a relative dies, fine. Alcoholic drinking scotch when a relative dies, not fine.

• Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    SkannerJAT wrote:

Last relative I had that kicked it I got good and shit faced. Last friend I had that died I also got good and shit faced.

There is nothing inherently wrong with get tanked on whatever, provided you don't have a problem with it. Drinking scotch when a relative dies, fine. Alcoholic drinking scotch when a relative dies, not fine.

I should have qualified my statement by saying that her daughter has substance abuse issues so it follows the same reasoning as the last part of your statement. There is a difference between being a good friend and being an enabler.

• Options
    So, I'm stuck watching the funeral on TV while I'm at work.

I had forgotten how awful gospel services can be. Like a goddamned pep rally.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    On CNN a few days ago there was a panel on Laurence O'Donnell's show about Whitney Houston. It's fine when they say she was a good person only they made it seem like she had kicked her drug problem long ago. Which is infuriating to watch.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    On CNN a few days there was a panel on Laurence O'Donnell's show about Whitney Houston. It's fine when they say she was a good person only they made it seem like she had kicked her drug problem long ago. Which is infuriating to watch.

They said the same thing about Amy Winehouse and Heath Ledger, too.

"It's so sad to see them die this way, especially after they kicked the habit."

:shock:

That's so patently absurd and denialist. It's like saying, "I'm so sad that Jim died of being shot to death. He just recently got over not being bulletproof."

• Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Oh, Nancy, is there any tragedy you won't exploit, being the heartless monster you are?

http://www.salon.com/2012/02/15/nancy_grace_is_more_terrible_than_ever/

wow, nancy grace actually caring about a black women? surely hell has frozen over.