As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Wait, this game has single-player? USE SPOILER TAGS

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    hmm do you guys and gals have any general advice for someone just starting off in mp

(this is assuming I'll get lumped with a bunch of higher lvls)

I'd like to be of least a nuisance as possible :I
    I was probably going to try out infiltrator,sentinel and vanguard and see what takes...so any general advice in regards

• Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote:
    I think I'm falling in love with the starting Katana

I'm not in love with it, so much as the only other shotgun I have gotten is the Scimitar, and it's about six levels behind it on top of being weaker. For all my luck with aliens, the aliens/weapons I really want elude me.

Also, why would anyone hate the Mattok? It's accurate, deals good damage, and you decide the rate of fire. The sheer joy of a weapon that can pop out ammo exactly how I want it is hard to describe. I can't stand full auto, three round burst is nice, and single shot doesn't always have the rate of fire needed to drop a target. The Mattok? Love it!

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Egos wrote:
    hmm do you guys and gals have any general advice for someone just starting off in mp

(this is assuming I'll get lumped with a bunch of higher lvls)

I'd like to be of least a nuisance as possible :I
    I was probably going to try out infiltrator,sentinel and vanguard and see what takes...so any general advice in regards

There are people here infinitely better than me to give advice, but generally, stay alive. Stay with the team. Set up biotic or energy explosions if playing an adept or engineer. If you can't handle a group of enemies, or get surrounded, run away to your buddies. Revive people if its safe to do so, but don't run in there and get killed, you haven't helped the team if you die.

• Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    Dear lord. I finally unlocked the asari adept. Doubling my team's combined score all day long. Stasis is OH so broken on silver and up. Warp/Throw spam handles atlases really well. But stasis.. biotic explosions EVERYWHERE. And nothing can dodge the damned thing since it's not a projectile like every other biotic effect. So, so broken.

My first try with the adept was me loading into a silver round with everyone dead and almost everything still alive. And I would have won if it wasn't for my game bugging out left and right and showing hostiles about 18 feet away from where they actually are randomly. "okay, last dude is on the other side of that building. Hey, why am I taking damage? OH GOD WHERE CAN I SIT THAT I WON'T TAKE DAMAGE. Oh look, he teleported behind me after I died. Fucking comcast."

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Anyone download Shadowbroker recently? I keep getting this NSIS installer error when I run it. Tried from two diferent browsers, with and without download accelerators, no luck.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    Daris wrote:
    -Tal wrote:

I'm not in love with it, so much as the only other shotgun I have gotten is the Scimitar, and it's about six levels behind it on top of being weaker. For all my luck with aliens, the aliens/weapons I really want elude me.

Also, why would anyone hate the Mattok? It's accurate, deals good damage, and you decide the rate of fire. The sheer joy of a weapon that can pop out ammo exactly how I want it is hard to describe. I can't stand full auto, three round burst is nice, and single shot doesn't always have the rate of fire needed to drop a target. The Mattok? Love it!

The Mattock is pretty aggressively mediocre. It does middling damage without headshots, and it's inaccurate enough that going for headshots isn't reliable unless you're pretty close to them. It takes a good half of a mag or so to kill a regular assault dude from range, which is pretty bad.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    It saddens me whenever I play with an infiltrator who uses a sniper rifle.

So you don't want them to use the weapon they're best with, and kick most ass with.... WHY?

Oh, I do. But that weapon isn't a sniper rifle. It's a shotgun. You have cloak, which is made for flanking. Why would you sit there with a sniper rifle and use cloak as a simple damage booster?

• Options
    Dharma BumDharma Bum Registered User regular
    I can't connect to a multiplayer game on PC when choosing the quick match option because Origin is a shit devouring limp wristed fae which LOVES the cock.

olgafjpg.jpg
  • Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Why does no one want to attempt the gold challenge? Even silver only gives you two Vet Packs...

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    I would totally be down for doing Gold later. I'm PvtLemming on Origin, I'll probably be on in four to five hours or so.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Lemming wrote:
    Daris wrote:
    -Tal wrote:

The Mattock is pretty aggressively mediocre. It does middling damage without headshots, and it's inaccurate enough that going for headshots isn't reliable unless you're pretty close to them. It takes a good half of a mag or so to kill a regular assault dude from range, which is pretty bad.

coalesced.ini tweaks inc!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular

So you don't want them to use the weapon they're best with, and kick most ass with.... WHY?

Oh, I do. But that weapon isn't a sniper rifle. It's a shotgun. You have cloak, which is made for flanking. Why would you sit there with a sniper rifle and use cloak as a simple damage booster?

I think this is silly. Cloak can be used multiple ways. Cloak can also be used for getting away from pressure and allowing you to open up on people from a distance with devastating effects. Even with the Mantis and cloak upgrades, you can be one shotting Nemesis in the head or something. The final rank of cloak can be upgrade to specifically increase sniper rifle damage by 40%. That's quite a bit.

There are two ways to play the Infiltrator, snipery or upclose and personal. I think both are valid.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote:

I think this is silly. Cloak can be used multiple ways. Cloak can also be used for getting away from pressure and allowing you to open up on people from a distance with devastating effects. Even with the Mantis and cloak upgrades, you can be one shotting Nemesis in the head or something. The final rank of cloak can be upgrade to specifically increase sniper rifle damage by 40%. That's quite a bit.

There are two ways to play the Infiltrator, snipery or upclose and personal. I think both are valid.

Or Salarian and you just blow everything up with proximity mines :ar!

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote:
    Shen wrote:
    Whoever coded where engineers place their turrets should be given a bonus, then fired for being an evil bastard.
    Seriously. That area on Ghost just to the right of the LZ is practically designed for Engineers to make a killing zone with their turrets.

Ugh, this happened to a team I was on tonight. We all ended up pinned up on the right side and couldn't move. Eventually myself and another guy with Mantis rifles managed to knock out the engineers and then a turret.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote:

I was mostly joking and apologize if anyone thought I was being serious. I don't actually care if an infiltrator's using a sniper rifle. I just want people to try a shotgun. Everyone's first instinct is to use a sniper rifle, since that was the infiltrator's specialty in 1 and 2. However, that's no longer the case thanks to the weight system. Infiltrators with shotguns, adepts with sniper rifles, engineers with assault rifles. Crazy.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote:

I was mostly joking and apologize if anyone thought I was being serious. I don't actually care if an infiltrator's using a sniper rifle. I just want people to try a shotgun. Everyone's first instinct is to use a sniper rifle, since that was the infiltrator's specialty in 1 and 2. However, that's no longer the case thanks to the weight system. Infiltrators with shotguns, adepts with sniper rifles, engineers with assault rifles. Crazy.

I use only a Phalanx with my lvl 20 Salarian Infiltrator. Cloak specced for duration and energy drain. I can take out Centurions and Nemesi upclose without problem. If I get hurt I'll use energy drain on them. Assault troops usually get taken out by my proximity mines, a.k.a. the grenade launcher. The only real disatvantage is the small clip size and reserve ammo.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    For Orca's Little Page of Horrors:

tumblr_lzpfjsg6FO1qlceh0o3_250.gif

• Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    i'm sticking with a sniper. managed to get 75+ headshots during a game last night with my Infiltrator, so suffice to say i'm pretty good with the dang thing

my female Infiltrator is still rocking a Mantis currently due to it's stopping power (want a Widow so bad) but i threw a Viper on my Asari Adept and, combined with Stasis Bubble, magical things happened

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Smrtnik wrote:
    Anyone download Shadowbroker recently? I keep getting this NSIS installer error when I run it. Tried from two diferent browsers, with and without download accelerators, no luck.
    Anyone? I contacted EA support and they sent me a link to Bring Down the Sky DLC. I was like :|

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Question, will I get to redesign my character face before starting ME3? Or can I do it on repeat playthroughs of ME2? There's a few tiny adjustments I'd like to make that are bothering me during me ME2 playthrough but I'm far enough in I don't want to restart.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote:
    Smrtnik wrote:
    Anyone?

Downloading now along with Arrival, will let you know how it goes.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Someone figure out the face code for this

haleshep1.jpg

I NEEDS IT

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Lemming wrote:
    Lemming wrote:
    phalanx is the best pistol, ok

best gun? nahhh

also, turrets aren't even something you joke around with on silver

they kill squishy people in the blink of an eye, and krogans last 3 seconds at most

Which gun is better? Virtually every other gun either kills slower or is way more situational. The Phalanx is good at every range and against every enemy, and is ridiculously light to boot.

shotguns and sniper rifles kill faster, but more importantly, the pistols don't stagger enemies nearly as often

Those weapons might kill faster in short bursts, but the Phalanx has way more consistency. It is also so light your powers that stagger people recharge super fast. It also works close up like shotguns and far away like sniper rifles. It also doesn't rely on single hits, so if you miss a shot or two it isn't as big of a deal.

I have a 20 engineer, infiltrator and vanguard. On all three, I'm safer and more effective with just the Phalanx than any other combination of guns.

I was running the phalanx a ton on my engineer and my adept until I unlocked the Carnifex. Its basically the phalanx that hits even harder with a few less rounds of ammo. Given its ability to one shot rip peoples heads off I have never found ammo to be a problem with it and its accurate enough it hits what you are aiming at so if your aim is half decent you will be popping guys heads off like a champ. As for stagger given how fast your cool downs are when you are just sporting a carnifex your powers are where any staggers needed are likely coming from. Pistol is for head shotting fools.

• Options
    Smrtnik wrote:
    Smrtnik wrote:
    Anyone?

Thanks!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kaid wrote:
    Lemming wrote:
    Lemming wrote:

best gun? nahhh

they kill squishy people in the blink of an eye, and krogans last 3 seconds at most

Which gun is better? Virtually every other gun either kills slower or is way more situational. The Phalanx is good at every range and against every enemy, and is ridiculously light to boot.

shotguns and sniper rifles kill faster, but more importantly, the pistols don't stagger enemies nearly as often

Those weapons might kill faster in short bursts, but the Phalanx has way more consistency. It is also so light your powers that stagger people recharge super fast. It also works close up like shotguns and far away like sniper rifles. It also doesn't rely on single hits, so if you miss a shot or two it isn't as big of a deal.

I have a 20 engineer, infiltrator and vanguard. On all three, I'm safer and more effective with just the Phalanx than any other combination of guns.

I was running the phalanx a ton on my engineer and my adept until I unlocked the Carnifex. Its basically the phalanx that hits even harder with a few less rounds of ammo. Given its ability to one shot rip peoples heads off I have never found ammo to be a problem with it and its accurate enough it hits what you are aiming at so if your aim is half decent you will be popping guys heads off like a champ. As for stagger given how fast your cool downs are when you are just sporting a carnifex your powers are where any staggers needed are likely coming from. Pistol is for head shotting fools.

Yeah I need to unlock one and mess around with it for a while. That said, even if the Carnifex is better than the Phalanx, the Phalanx is still better than pretty much all other guns.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular

haleshep1.jpg

I NEEDS IT

doesnt really look like hale to me..

• Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    anyone playing this on the ps3? i'd love to get some games going.

League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Lemming wrote:
    kaid wrote:
    Lemming wrote:
    Lemming wrote:

best gun? nahhh

Yeah I need to unlock one and mess around with it for a while. That said, even if the Carnifex is better than the Phalanx, the Phalanx is still better than pretty much all other guns.

Yes the phalanx is one of the best of the easy to get weapons good combination of accuracy, weight and stopping power. I used it a ton with my more power oriented characters like adepts/engineers. Nice thing on somebody like an engineer the only real weakness of the pistols is to guys with shields and one overload zap and its off with their heads.

• Options
    kaid wrote:
    Lemming wrote:
    kaid wrote:
    Lemming wrote:
    Lemming wrote:

best gun? nahhh

Yes the phalanx is one of the best of the easy to get weapons good combination of accuracy, weight and stopping power. I used it a ton with my more power oriented characters like adepts/engineers. Nice thing on somebody like an engineer the only real weakness of the pistols is to guys with shields and one overload zap and its off with their heads.

Even if you're out of cover, I find it pretty easy to shoot the Guardians through the mail slot. When you're in cover, it's basically free headshot time.

And yeah I went into the Engineer class expecting to mostly use Incinerate and use Overload on dudes with shields, but nope, Overloading all day every day.

• Options

haleshep1.jpg

I NEEDS IT

doesnt really look like hale to me..

Looks a bit cleaner than the new default.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote:
    Question, will I get to redesign my character face before starting ME3? Or can I do it on repeat playthroughs of ME2? There's a few tiny adjustments I'd like to make that are bothering me during me ME2 playthrough but I'm far enough in I don't want to restart.

So should I just start over to get my face right?

Also in the "I want that female face code" camp

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote:
    Smrtnik wrote:
    Smrtnik wrote:
    Anyone?

Thanks!

Works fine, just installed normally like the rest.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    SniperGuy wrote:
    SniperGuy wrote:

So should I just start over to get my face right?

Also in the "I want that female face code" camp

you can get it changed in me3, but me3 is very different for faces, i imported my face code into the demo and holy hell.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    I kind of hate how they changed the faces again. I had a good face going in ME2 and it does look a bit off in ME3 and I don't see any appreciable benefit to the changes in the system in the demo. It doesn't look like there are significantly more options/it looks better all around.

I mean, it's just a matter of time until I tweak a good face, but it's still a little vexing.

• Options
    I think the defaults look significantly better. I imagine it's at least as good as the bump in quality between one and two. Which is great.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    least my shep has sorted out his weird upper lip bending he had going in 1 and 2, and his dork hair is much better.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Default Manshep has always looked good because it's a scan of an actual person. I really don't care for how the default Femshep looks. My one playthrough of the demo was with that face and I was...unimpressed.

I don't know why Bioware didn't scan a face for Femshep. They could have done what Borderlands did for Lilith. Host some open casting calls or something and find someone to be the face of Femshep, then model the face off that, then maybe take her around to some publicity things. EA/Bioware has certainly dumped a lot of advertising money into these promotions (the weather balloons...) so why not something that would actually help the game too? I'm sure there are good reasons for why they didn't since they had to have thought of that. It would have been nice.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    think daris means the default presets which now do look pretty good.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    Smrtnik wrote:
    Smrtnik wrote:
    Smrtnik wrote:
    Anyone?

Thanks!

Works fine, just installed normally like the rest.

Ugh. Starting to wonder if it's not my ISP that caching a corrupted copy of the file or something.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Just got in a few abbreviated Silver rounds with a rotating crowd of fragile goofballs. Watched one guy charge into a crowd of guardians with his SMG and get bludgeoned to death. So obviously a teammate decided to charge in to rescue him and got bludgeoned to death. Seemed fun though, especially on Firebase Ghost, where I was surprised by how aggressive the Troopers would hunt me down through the buildings.