Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Avengers: AvX CHAMPIONS. "wedabes" declares Captain America.

12829313334100

Posts

  • RansRans Registered User regular
    Probably what they want you to think from here on out.

  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Interesting how Johnson and Ultimate Fury (aka movie Fury) look pretty much exactly the same

    I mean, I like Johnson, he's pretty cool

    but still, that seems a bit shameless? maybe?

  • TexiKenTexiKen Steeeve Perry Steeeeeeve PerryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I do like that they reused the super soldier costume though.

    It can work like the X-Men uniform Lee made during the Claremont era, that Forge and Banshee and the others wore. It makes the field agents stand out from the other SHIELD monitor watchers.

    Rans wrote: »
    Probably what they want you to think from here on out.

    But what about we who remember Hasselhoff's Fury?


    edit: is Johnson a Super Soldier because of Fury being his dad? Infinity baby formula give him powers?

    TexiKen on
    HAB3pqF.png
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla KOOKABUNGA LIVES Registered User regular
    Yeah what with Nick being retired

    I am pretty sure Marcus is gonna drop the Johnson and be Marcus Fury and he will be the new Nick Fury

    All Along The Watchtower: A DCAU Podcast.

    HEY! I sell the digital codes from my comics every week! 1.75 a pop! PM me if you wanna know what's available!
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I'm seriously amazed they jumped through that many hoops to put movie-Fury in the comics, rather than just push the Ultimates TPBs.

  • TexiKenTexiKen Steeeve Perry Steeeeeeve PerryRegistered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    I'm seriously amazed they jumped through that many hoops to put movie-Fury in the comics, rather than just push the Ultimates TPBs.

    I mentioned this before but the way Marvel works these days it feels like the Ultimate line is the line that actually has changes made despite being released as a new reader friendly universe, so it's aged along with its readers.

    HAB3pqF.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Ultimate Universe is no longer modernised icons

    it's a thing by itself

    which is fine and cool, but it does mean that taking ultimateised versions of the heroes is a bit odd

    fortunately, they seem to have avoided that in most cases, which is good!

  • TurambarTurambar Avocado at law Registered User regular
    Is it just me or does Nick Fury's son look suspiciously like Ultimate and movie Nick Fury


    Could there have been a Nick Furies crossover where Nick Fury had a baby with Nick Fury?!

    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Always down for another minority character, and I'm glad the excellent Super Soldier costume won't be going to waste. Of course, this brings our African-American Super Soldier count to Falcon, Josiah X, Patriot, and Marcus. That's not counting 'not really' Super Soldier Battlestar. Maybe it's time to spread out a bit.

    I would also be down for Winter Soldier/Patriot comic Marvel. *nudge*

    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »
    I'm seriously amazed they jumped through that many hoops to put movie-Fury in the comics, rather than just push the Ultimates TPBs.

    I mentioned this before but the way Marvel works these days it feels like the Ultimate line is the line that actually has changes made despite being released as a new reader friendly universe, so it's aged along with its readers.

    Well, I was specifically referring to The Ultimates, by Millar and Hitch. That thing lines up pretty perfectly with the movie, visually speaking. So, why not push those TPBs hard, in the wake of the movie? Stick an advertisement in front of the film, buy some ad space, etc.

    This is assuming that the character of Marcus Johnson is meant to be something of a bridge to non-comics readers, to help ease them into the comics, from the Avengers film.

    Munch on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Turambar wrote: »
    Is it just me or does Nick Fury's son look suspiciously like Ultimate and movie Nick Fury

    Well, considering all the posts before your's... no, I don't think it's justt you.

    Hensler on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Well, on the plus side this is a Fury who I don't know enough about to hate.

    While I did figure that was Hill in context, my nerd brain saw the gloves and though Quake. It doesn't help that the last I saw her someone gave up on making her look exactly like Jolie in Hackers.

  • AriviaArivia Registered User
    Until you made me poke at wikipedia right now I had no idea Quake and Maria Hill were two different people

    huntresssig.jpg
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I flipped through that issue of Battle Scars earlier.

    And there is some really bad writing going on. These are kind of non spoilers, but incase someone is just that excited for the book, they'll go in the box:

    1. Marcus's Legal Name is... Nick Fury (Jr.). Hill calls him it once, and it just sticks.
    2. It's implied that his skin gets darker because he is severely burnt in an explosion.
    3. Nick Fury literally just kind of fades into the background again. I guess he's out of infinity formula for realz, this time, and says that he's going to try and die alone and in peace.
    4. There's a letter from the architects at the end, saying that this is a lot bigger than people think even now, and that he will soon be making a huge appearance... somewhere.

  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    And I have to say that my immense love of Ultimate Nick Fury is really just totally strangled by my immense hatred of laughably cliched and forced writing.

    That book may as well have been called "Status Quo"

  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I flipped through that issue of Battle Scars earlier.

    And there is some really bad writing going on. These are kind of non spoilers, but incase someone is just that excited for the book, they'll go in the box:

    1. Marcus's Legal Name is... Nick Fury (Jr.). Hill calls him it once, and it just sticks.
    2. It's implied that his skin gets darker because he is severely burnt in an explosion.
    3. Nick Fury literally just kind of fades into the background again. I guess he's out of infinity formula for realz, this time, and says that he's going to try and die alone and in peace.
    4. There's a letter from the architects at the end, saying that this is a lot bigger than people think even now, and that he will soon be making a huge appearance... somewhere.

    Christ.

    That item number 2 is just so bad.

    Was he locked in a tanning bed or something?

  • BlankzillaBlankzilla KOOKABUNGA LIVES Registered User regular
    Everything except Number 2 is so hilariously dumb I can't even get mad at it

    and 2 is so bad I am curious as to if Hadji misread a bad joke or something since he was just flipping through

    All Along The Watchtower: A DCAU Podcast.

    HEY! I sell the digital codes from my comics every week! 1.75 a pop! PM me if you wanna know what's available!
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    The shop I work at only ordered two copies.

    I think some casual readers are going to be a little confused a few months from now when "Nick Fury" suddenly appears in a bunch of high-profile, high-continuity titles.

  • TexiKenTexiKen Steeeve Perry Steeeeeeve PerryRegistered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

    That book may as well have been called "Status Quo"

    That should be a new super hero team. The tagline would read "it's what they fight for!"

    One thing I don't get about spoiler #1
    wouldn't Johnson know at some point in his life his name is Nick Fury Jr., and put two and two together?

    HAB3pqF.png
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    So he's totally going to do something in AvX I assume?

    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

    "Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla KOOKABUNGA LIVES Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

    That book may as well have been called "Status Quo"

    That should be a new super hero team. The tagline would read "it's what they fight for!"

    One thing I don't get about spoiler #1
    wouldn't Johnson know at some point in his life his name is Nick Fury Jr., and put two and two together?
    Maybe not? I mean I know quite a few people that have never actually looked at their birth certificate

    alternatively, Nick worked some spy mojo so his name wasn't an issue

    All Along The Watchtower: A DCAU Podcast.

    HEY! I sell the digital codes from my comics every week! 1.75 a pop! PM me if you wanna know what's available!
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    They should have just had regular Nick Fury go to that surgeon that turned Punisher into a black guy, that one time.

  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Hill says the documents were long lost or something or...

    I don't even know. It was bad.

  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »
    Until you made me poke at wikipedia right now I had no idea Quake and Maria Hill were two different people

    You should check out Secret Warriors - Quake is the best new Marvel female character in a long time, and really shines in that book (she makes her debut in Secret War, but really steps up in Secret Warriors).

  • TexiKenTexiKen Steeeve Perry Steeeeeeve PerryRegistered User regular
    Marcus Johnson hosts the Phoenix force, that's who Thor is fighting in that blacked out Versus cover.

    HAB3pqF.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Everything except Number 2 is so hilariously dumb I can't even get mad at it

    and 2 is so bad I am curious as to if Hadji misread a bad joke or something since he was just flipping through

    Honestly, I am wondering if I misread it too. But I slowed down and went over it a couple times.

    It's not something where he straight up says
    "Hey, I got burnt so much I'm blacker!"

    But he's in the hospital thinking about how his eye is gone, and he said he has massive burns all over his body (and there is an explosion earlier in the book that exists solely so he can be burnt).

    Then he shaves his head, and on the next page he suddenly has a much darker skin tone.

    HadjiQuest on
  • BlankzillaBlankzilla KOOKABUNGA LIVES Registered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Everything except Number 2 is so hilariously dumb I can't even get mad at it

    and 2 is so bad I am curious as to if Hadji misread a bad joke or something since he was just flipping through

    Honestly, I am wondering if I misread it too. But I slowed down and went over it a couple times.

    It's not something where he straight up says
    "Hey, I got burnt so much I'm blacker!"

    But he's in the hospital thinking about how his eye is gone, and he said he has massive burns all over his body (and there is an explosion earlier in the book that exists solely so he can be burnt).

    Then he shaves his head, and on the next page he suddenly has a much darker skin tone.
    Eh

    I think that is just some coloring to make him straight up look like Samuel L. Jackson and less a HE IS NOW BLACKER DUE TO BURNS

    I mean it is still dumb but not offensively so like before

    All Along The Watchtower: A DCAU Podcast.

    HEY! I sell the digital codes from my comics every week! 1.75 a pop! PM me if you wanna know what's available!
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Everything except Number 2 is so hilariously dumb I can't even get mad at it

    and 2 is so bad I am curious as to if Hadji misread a bad joke or something since he was just flipping through

    Honestly, I am wondering if I misread it too. But I slowed down and went over it a couple times.

    It's not something where he straight up says
    "Hey, I got burnt so much I'm blacker!"

    But he's in the hospital thinking about how his eye is gone, and he said he has massive burns all over his body (and there is an explosion earlier in the book that exists solely so he can be burnt).

    Then he shaves his head, and on the next page he suddenly has a much darker skin tone.
    Eh

    I think that is just some coloring to make him straight up look like Samuel L. Jackson and less a HE IS NOW BLACKER DUE TO BURNS

    I mean it is still dumb but not offensively so like before
    The narration emphasizes that he is burnt severely and that it will change how he looks forever.

    It just never explicitly said that he is darker because of the burns

  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    So this, right
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    I flipped through that issue of Battle Scars earlier.

    And there is some really bad writing going on. These are kind of non spoilers, but incase someone is just that excited for the book, they'll go in the box:

    1. Marcus's Legal Name is... Nick Fury (Jr.). Hill calls him it once, and it just sticks.
    2. It's implied that his skin gets darker because he is severely burnt in an explosion.
    3. Nick Fury literally just kind of fades into the background again. I guess he's out of infinity formula for realz, this time, and says that he's going to try and die alone and in peace.
    4. There's a letter from the architects at the end, saying that this is a lot bigger than people think even now, and that he will soon be making a huge appearance... somewhere.

    So, I know Marvel says they don't switch stuff to match with movies, and yet they totally do, and that's fine.

    But this, right here? Goddamn shameful.

  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Is there any sort of sales data that shows that having a comic look like the movie actually boosts comic sales? Or that comic movies have any sort of effect on comic book sales?

  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I'm really not trying to sound like I'm out to step on any toes here

    But this whole 'Nick Jr' deal sounds more like something DC would think up.

  • BlankzillaBlankzilla KOOKABUNGA LIVES Registered User regular
    Honestly I find the whole thing so dumb and blatant that I can't even get mad about it

    it is just hilarious

    even moreso that Yost admits to Nick Fury Jr. being editorially mandated

    All Along The Watchtower: A DCAU Podcast.

    HEY! I sell the digital codes from my comics every week! 1.75 a pop! PM me if you wanna know what's available!
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Yeah I don't think I'll bother with Battle Scars when it comes out in trade format. However I did read all of The Fearless maxiseries and it was pretty good. Cullen Bunn did a great job on writing duties and I hope to see more of him in the future. The fact that he's bringing that insane doctor back in his 4 issue Wolverine run shows he knows to use good characters.

    Speaking of which Aaron's third Wolverine volume comes out tomorrow and I need to pick that up.

    wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It's silly, but Nick Fury's not a huge character. It's not like they're making Captain America black (Though it would be cool to see Patriot in a world where Cap never got frozen/defrosted and became old/irrelevant), and I already like this guy because he's not WW2 Nick.

    Seriously, it's 2012 and there are a dozen WW2-era heroes still running around in peak condition, everyone from the main Invaders team to Dum Dum fucking Dugan. I'm inclined to give HUGE props to Marvel for weening themselves off that teet for once.

    Crimsondude on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    So... is he actually african american or...?

  • BlankzillaBlankzilla KOOKABUNGA LIVES Registered User regular
    Y

    yes? He is half-black.

    His mother was african american.

    All Along The Watchtower: A DCAU Podcast.

    HEY! I sell the digital codes from my comics every week! 1.75 a pop! PM me if you wanna know what's available!
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Y

    yes? He is half-black.

    His mother was african american.

    Oh! I didn't see that part.

    I thought they had burnt a white guy to make him look black (based on what I read here).

    Caveman Paws on
  • MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    I like that they're weening them off of WW2 era heroes, too.

    But the whole explosion/skin thing is pretty bad writing.

    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    One thing that pleased me about the Battle Scars ending spoilers...
    That the architects from Hickman's SHIELD make themselves know. That concept and those characters are way too good not to be used in other stories by other writers.

    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
This discussion has been closed.