Options

Twenty thousand posts under the SE(++), or, Emergent group dynamics in online communities

1131416181922

Posts

  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    fyad was better when OBL was posting there, irrespective of the fact that OBL is a giant sack of shit

    Osama bin Laden?

  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote:
    "ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING EUGENICS" tells me i can ignore a dude without giving a single fuck

    It never tells you that some other dudes with $10 can buy moderately greater influence over the general discourse?

  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    gtrmp wrote:
    Buttlord wrote:
    In a context where every word out of everyone's mouth is a twisted parody of bullshit, it's easier to assume "dude is joking" (also ironic pedophilia has been banned in this context for ages now because it turned out the people doing it weren't so ironic after all)

    fyad's not really joking when they're being "ironically" misogynistic or racist or LGBT-phobic, either. they're stalked and harrassed people in other subforums and on other websites enough times to put the lie to the notion that they're only being ironic when they post hateful shit, especially when it comes to women and trans people.

    People in FYAD are very, very insecure about their forum, to the extent that if you even attempt to flatly describe it they accuse you of being bitter at being left out of their He-Man Gibbis Haters' Club, even if you didn't say anything negative about their forum in the first place.

    A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Based on the comments about the site, it sounds like I may not want this in my Google search history, so I'll just ask here.

    What does FYAD stand for?

  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote:
    Based on the comments about the site, it sounds like I may not want this in my Google search history, so I'll just ask here.

    What does FYAD stand for?

    Fuck Yourself And Die

  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote:
    i dislike reddit for the same reason i dislike SA - a large userbase with extremely fragmented communities comprised mostly of privileged dudes with poor social skills and little/inconsistent moderation

    SA has gotten real good about privilege in the last few years

    At least, there are people who acknowledge it and make a point of pointing out others' privilege and trying to raise some Awareness

    Also SA's moderation is pretty much perfect I love it
    Buttlord wrote:
    also there's too many people there and they allow name changes for pay

    fuck sa's entire design

    Allowing people to buy custom titles for other users is sublime though

    You want a self-governing community?

    For ten bucks you can stick some red text mocking someone's awful beliefs next to their name

    Done and done

    no logical disconnect here huh

  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote:
    ObiFett wrote:
    Based on the comments about the site, it sounds like I may not want this in my Google search history, so I'll just ask here.

    What does FYAD stand for?

    Fuck Yourself And Die

    hah, really?

    Well alright then. That sounds like a lovely forum.

  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Missing the disconnect between "I like SA's moderation" and "I like that you can pay to shame people"

    They're not mutually exclusive things

    I like the way SA's mod team handles things about 99% of the time (there's one really awful mod, but everyone else is shades of rad) and I like that the community is able to shame people with abhorrent beliefs

    I also agree wtih Ori re: paying for namechanges tbh, I think that's kinda dumb

    Buttlord on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Buttlord wrote:
    Missing the disconnect between "I like SA's moderation" and "I like that you can pay to shame people"

    They're not mutually exclusive things

    I like the way SA's mod team handles things about 99% of the time (there's one really awful mod, but everyone else is shades of rad) and I like that the community is able to shame people with abhorrent beliefs

    Or whenever they feel like it

    which is probably pretty often!

    It mean, it's probably pretty funny a lot of the time, but paying to change someones title is hardly some tool of justice.

    Javen on
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote:
    Buttlord wrote:
    Missing the disconnect between "I like SA's moderation" and "I like that you can pay to shame people"

    They're not mutually exclusive things

    I like the way SA's mod team handles things about 99% of the time (there's one really awful mod, but everyone else is shades of rad) and I like that the community is able to shame people with abhorrent beliefs

    Or whenever they feel like it

    which is probably pretty often!

    Less than you'd think

  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Considering my overall opinion of the SA community, I imagine it'd have to be

  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    so are you just going to completely white knight sa here or what

    cause really

    seriously

  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    SA seems to me to be a lot like SE++ but way more crowded and kind of full of itself

  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    SA seems to me to be a lot like SE++ but way more crowded and kind of full of itself

    They kind of pioneered being dicks on the internet just for the sake of it

    Seem pretty proud of it most of the time too

  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I've never really read Something Awful

    the site or the forums

  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    PiptheFair wrote:
    so are you just going to completely white knight sa here or what

    cause really

    seriously

    Nah

    There's lots of problems with privileged folks being privileged and refusing to acknowledge it

    And there's a circlejerk surrounding the military that's utterly nauseating

    Also some really shitty moderating decisions (though these are an extreme minority)

    But all in all it's pretty alright and it's seen a lot of improvement in the last few years

    Buttlord on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote:
    "ASK ME ABOUT SUPPORTING EUGENICS" tells me i can ignore a dude without giving a single fuck

    It never tells you that some other dudes with $10 can buy moderately greater influence over the general discourse?

    pretty much

  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote:
    Javen wrote:
    Buttlord wrote:
    I like the way SA's mod team handles things about 99% of the time (there's one really awful mod, but everyone else is shades of rad) and I like that the community is able to shame people with abhorrent beliefs

    Or whenever they feel like it

    which is probably pretty often!

    Less than you'd think

    for every two posters with a legit "i'm a terrible person and here's why" red text avatar, there's one with an avatar attacking them for disagreeing with a ridiculous topic (like the various "eating nothing but bacon is a healthy diet"-style threads) or for being a woman or a minority and having the temerity to openly exist.

  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Money buying influence over speech is only bad when I don't like the influence they're buying

    sig.png
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    boring conversation anyway

    Buttlord on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Also like 90 percent of the people with pony avatars hate MLP and had them spite-bought by bronies

    sig.png
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Tossrock wrote:
    Also like 90 percent of the people with pony avatars hate MLP and had them spite-bought by bronies

    wonderful

  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Buttlord wrote:
    also there's too many people there and they allow name changes for pay

    fuck sa's entire design

    Allowing people to buy custom titles for other users is sublime though

    You want a self-governing community?

    For ten bucks you can stick some red text mocking someone's awful beliefs next to their name

    Done and done

    nope, i don't want self-government on the web

    i want an imperialist dictatorship

  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    SA needs WORST ADMIN EVER to make another appearance

    perhaps he can delete fyad

  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Sometimes I go and visit these other places on the internet

    And then I crawl back to SE because it's safe(r) here and I don't have to worry about somebody stalking me

  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i'd read fyad a whole lot more if someone would make an 'who they are -> what their screen name is now' key

    i love so many people there and i don't know who any of them are

  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote:
    Sometimes I go and visit these other places on the internet

    And then I crawl back to SE because it's safe(r) here and I don't have to worry about somebody stalking me

    Um...we've had our fair share of stalking here.

    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Butters wrote:
    Usagi wrote:
    Sometimes I go and visit these other places on the internet

    And then I crawl back to SE because it's safe(r) here and I don't have to worry about somebody stalking me

    Um...we've had our fair share of stalking here.

    Fair enough, but here when that was discovered they were banned, not encouraged

  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Butters wrote:
    Usagi wrote:
    Sometimes I go and visit these other places on the internet

    And then I crawl back to SE because it's safe(r) here and I don't have to worry about somebody stalking me

    Um...we've had our fair share of stalking here.

    look man

    just acknowledge our love

    our gay baby love

  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote:
    I wish more Toronto forumers would come out to play.

    A bunch of D&D forumers have been doing a monthly dinner thing and it's been pretty great, but I'm the only person from SE there! If any of you guys are from the GTA and regular posters here it'd be awesome to have you along.

    Sup!

    Although I live in peterborough which is obviously a tad bit out of the way.

    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Butters wrote:
    Usagi wrote:
    Sometimes I go and visit these other places on the internet

    And then I crawl back to SE because it's safe(r) here and I don't have to worry about somebody stalking me

    Um...we've had our fair share of stalking here.

    look man

    just acknowledge our love

    our gay baby love

    br..bro

    Gat2H.jpg

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Butters wrote:
    Usagi wrote:
    Sometimes I go and visit these other places on the internet

    And then I crawl back to SE because it's safe(r) here and I don't have to worry about somebody stalking me

    Um...we've had our fair share of stalking here.

    look man

    just acknowledge our love

    our gay baby love

    br..bro

    Gat2H.jpg

    jess is gonna be so mad(turned on)

  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Tossrock wrote:
    Also like 90 percent of the people with pony avatars hate MLP and had them spite-bought by bronies

    that's horrifying

  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    PiptheFair wrote:
    Druhim wrote:
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Butters wrote:
    Usagi wrote:
    Sometimes I go and visit these other places on the internet

    And then I crawl back to SE because it's safe(r) here and I don't have to worry about somebody stalking me

    Um...we've had our fair share of stalking here.

    look man

    just acknowledge our love

    our gay baby love

    br..bro

    Gat2H.jpg

    jess is gonna be so mad(turned on)

    yo lemme get my camera

  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Keith wrote: »
    PiptheFair wrote:
    Druhim wrote:
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Butters wrote:
    Usagi wrote:
    Sometimes I go and visit these other places on the internet

    And then I crawl back to SE because it's safe(r) here and I don't have to worry about somebody stalking me

    Um...we've had our fair share of stalking here.

    look man

    just acknowledge our love

    our gay baby love

    br..bro

    Gat2H.jpg

    jess is gonna be so mad(turned on)

    yo lemme get my camera

    alq3K.jpg

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote:
    also there's too many people there and they allow name changes for pay

    fuck sa's entire design

    Allowing people to buy custom titles for other users is sublime though

    You want a self-governing community?

    For ten bucks you can stick some red text mocking someone's awful beliefs next to their name

    Done and done

    nope, i don't want self-government on the web

    i want an imperialist dictatorship

    That's cool too!

  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    http://digitallife.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/15/10416716-teens-facebook-pictures-posted-on-porn-site-cops-warn Students' facebooks get hacked, pictures posted on porn sites

    Reddit is mentioned because of the recent change in policy

    And it's not a good mention

    Good job waiting six years to fix that, reddit, now you look like assholes

  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    You keep saying six years

    Why are you saying that? Subreddit functionality wasn't even added until 2008.

    sig.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    4 more years!

  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Sorry, I thought it was 06 for some reason

    Four years then

    Still four years too many

Sign In or Register to comment.