Options

Twenty thousand posts under the SE(++), or, Emergent group dynamics in online communities

1161718192022»

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Keith wrote: »
    Tossrock wrote: »
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    SE++ still has a few really good ones, like Ain't no cure for baby dick, Langly thumbs up, and Sendkeithamessage.jpg

Those are all pretty recent and the funny one isn't SE++ specific (ain't no cure for baby dick is a 3 Word Phrase thing)

Older SE++ memes would be like... even Megatokyo, Nads is missing, Cronyx, etc

Oh, so I'm not funny, Tossrock??!

Keith, as someone who found your posts extremely funny in the past, I say this with some hesitance: yes, to a degree. The core of humor is surprise and the unexpected. You take what the audience expects and invert it, or spring something on them at an unexpected time, or cross a line they don't expect to be crossed. "sendkeithamessage.jpg" and all the other ways you make basically the same joke are, at this point, quite expected. I see a post from someone about their appearance, or that can be interpreted (even at a stretch) in a sexual way and think to myself, "here comes the Keith post", and as often as not, I'm right. It doesn't surprise me anymore, and so I don't really find it funny.

In fairness, there have been a few instances where I wasn't expecting it, like when the innuendo was particularly clever or the reference to appearances particularly gross, and those were funny. I think you can be quite a funny person, and those instances show it. But in general, I would definitely say the "thing" you've been doing lately is less funny than the way you used to post (2007-2010 type stuff), which I thought was hilarious.

I know you're dealing with a lot of stuff right now, depression and medication, job situation, etc, and this isn't some kind of judgment thing, you know, ENTERTAIN ME type shit. Just how I see things. You don't have to be funny for anyone, and if you enjoy sendkeithamessage.jpg'ing then I'm glad you're enjoying something.

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    oh no I agree

• Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    there was an article on the new Penny Arcade Report thing about it, apparently they're super sexist and unpleasant and now the community is split between people who think being super sexist and unpleasant is part of the community and those who think it's a bad thing

I wouldn't say super sexist, in that I don't think they really exceed the sexism of similar groups formed around multiplayer video games with similar age and socioeconomic demographics. The kinds of speech and ideas pretty much cover the spectrum--to be sure, there are both casually ignorant and outright vile components wrapped into other components that really are harmless, as well as some genuinely respectful components and even forward-thinking components--and the response to this incident has been on a spectrum too. Some folks think that seemingly unfiltered (actually just differently filtered) speech is integral to maintaining the community, some people think a general concept of sexism is a problem but have trouble connecting it to this specific incident, some people think the incident was wrong but that the status quo is manageable, some folks think immediacy is important in addressing the larger community issues, etc.

The community is not so hateful or toxic that it's not adapting, but it's excessively insular at the moment, with a dearth of established community figures willing to promote discussion and understanding of the problems. As such, the rate of change is too slow.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    there was an article on the new Penny Arcade Report thing about it, apparently they're super sexist and unpleasant and now the community is split between people who think being super sexist and unpleasant is part of the community and those who think it's a bad thing

I wouldn't say super sexist, in that I don't think they really exceed the sexism of similar groups formed around multiplayer video games with similar age and socioeconomic demographics. The kinds of speech and ideas pretty much cover the spectrum--to be sure, there are both casually ignorant and outright vile components wrapped into other components that really are harmless, as well as some genuinely respectful components and even forward-thinking components--and the response to this incident has been on a spectrum too. Some folks think that seemingly unfiltered (actually just differently filtered) speech is integral to maintaining the community, some people think a general concept of sexism is a problem but have trouble connecting it to this specific incident, some people think the incident was wrong but that the status quo is manageable, some folks think immediacy is important in addressing the larger community issues, etc.

The community is not so hateful or toxic that it's not adapting, but it's excessively insular at the moment, with a dearth of established community figures willing to promote discussion and understanding of the problems. As such, the rate of change is too slow.

It actually is a pretty interesting discussion, although I hate that it's happening in the middle of a reality TV show.

• Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    I wanna see various mens rights groups v. the mlp fandom

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular

Yeah my comment was pretty reductive, obviously it's a more nuanced situation than a straight up dichotomy of Evil Sexists vs Noble Feminists.

sig.png