Options

Twenty thousand posts under the SE(++), or, Emergent group dynamics in online communities

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    BECAUSE HE'S LYING TO A HOOKER

I read this in the voice of Murderbot, explaining the punchline to a Murderbot joke

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    No child anywhere on the face of the planet should have a fucking smartphone.

You know why? Because no child on the face of the planet should learn all those shit-assed text spellings, abbreviations, ect ect while they are learning how to spell actual, real, substantive words.

I hate to sound like a an old man yelling from a porch, here, but really, please, do not give your children the means to dismantle their education at such a tender age.

"Gotta wait 'til you're 21 to post 'ect ect' and 'a an' on the internet, junior."

• Options
    Oh, you guys were talking about jerks on the internet? Huh. I don't think I have anything to contribute...

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    BECAUSE HE'S LYING TO A HOOKER

who doesn't?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    I'm always honest and open with hookers because you can trust rugby players with your life

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2012
    Part of the reason why I buy into the ring of gyges argument is that I have seen how people tend to behave when they have that anonymity veil.

Technology has advanced to the point where we can really see how people behave in consequence free scenarios.

And I think this is more of a case of you weighting the cases where people are assholes (and how much of that is colored by your definition of what constitutes an asshole that others may not agree with?) and giving much less weight to cases of people being nice and friendly and helpful when they're under no compunction to do so. Yeah, if you work as a cop dealing with methheads and thieves and rapists all day, it's going to skew your perception and make it seem like people are generally savages. That doesn't make it true. Yes, being a mod I'm sure you've dealt with plenty of shitheads and even people that weren't shitheads but that you felt were shitheads because you were frustrated from dealing with other idiots and so on. But I don't buy that this means that people are generally horrible if they feel they can get away with it. I certainly don't deny that plenty of people will be horrible if they think they can get away with it, I just disagree that this is typical.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    In addition to that, I'd suggest that technology has advanced to the point where there are more consequences than ever for acting shitty on the internet unless you consciously go out of your way to take advantage of some of the more complicated methods for using the internet.

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Coohla wrote:
    Buttlord wrote:
    Coincidentally the "this is what to do formula" line of thinking is the core of PUA too
    I have to admit, I did read The Game (in my mid-teens, bleh) and for every guy there that seemed at least a little interestend in actually being a better person there were about ten who thought of it as a way to apply video game cheats to life.

Also, I have once (again in my mid-teens) actually used the "nice guys finish last" thing about myself. I blame the fact that I was an asshole back then.

The Game is actually not about how awesome PUA is

It's about how fucking horrendous it is and how it destroys lives

I mean it starts off with Mystery having a complete breakdown for fuck's sake

But Neil Strauss likes money and went back to doing it

Buttlord on
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote:
    I also read The Game

and in the end all the pickup bullshit didn't matter

what mattered was that the main guy got out of his comfort zone, got some social hobbies and improved his confidence and people skills

that is not how you 'get women' but how you become an interesting and likable human being

Yeah it's seriously too bad that these really basic things get lost in the BEEP BOOP formulas

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    I like being an anonymous nice person on the internet

• Options
    JoeUser wrote:

Wh... what do you do in the real world?

In truth are you actually like the opposite of St Francis of Assisi

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Buttlord wrote:
    Smart Hero wrote:
    I also read The Game

and in the end all the pickup bullshit didn't matter

what mattered was that the main guy got out of his comfort zone, got some social hobbies and improved his confidence and people skills

that is not how you 'get women' but how you become an interesting and likable human being

Yeah it's seriously too bad that these really basic things get lost in the BEEP BOOP formulas

dK2JL.jpg

• Options
    actually 8 questions is too much work

here we go

gVesp.jpg

• Options
    Edcrab wrote:
    JoeUser wrote:

Wh... what do you do in the real world?

In truth are you actually like the opposite of St Francis of Assisi

Haha, I'm pretty much the same in both environments. In general my philosophy is that life is tough enough without people being purposely mean to each other.

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    A loophole

• Options
    Rogue LemonRogue Lemon AVATAR BOX TOO TIGHT, 50 YEARS DUNGEON!Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't really see the attraction in being a complete dick while anonymous. The reward (laughing at their frustration) is just not worth the effort (trolling the fuck out of some people.) I guess if you were an antisocial asshat, and that's how you get your jollies, it might be. But not for me.

All that being said, in my endless life as a lurker, I've noticed a general trend of this place being much more hospitable to newcomers. Still very "cox dix lol", but it's a warmer and fuzzier cox dix lol.

Tentaclemon.jpg
    STEAM: BioSpark // POKEMON: 0303 9578 6730
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Tossrock wrote:
    Has anyone here sentkeithamessage.jpg recently?

No

Bucketman wrote:
    Also, I send Keith a message all the time.

No you don't!

• Options
    A loophole

By Benjamin Kennedy Jr.,
    Special to OpenHerBox.com
    New York City, New York 10007
    April 19, 2011 – Updated

Dear Friend,

On February 6, 2010, three corrupt researchers discovered a “loophole” in the female mind.

My name is Benjamin. And I’m writing this letter because you’ll never read about this research in the paper… hear about it on the news… and this is the most you’ll ever read about it on the internet. Yet this tiny piece of science is the key to as much intense, passionate sex as you can handle.

“Because This Loophole Allows Any Man
    To Read A Woman’s Thoughts
    As If They Were Written On Paper…”
    Even if you’ve “trained” with these techniques for less than one hour.

A leading Harvard Psychologist, 19 major corporations (such as GE, The Wharton School of Business and even The US Army) as well as this Ph.D. professor from UCLA all use this research for themselves:

“The Most Insightful Science I’ve Seen In YEARS…

ivZ8j.png

… And those corrupt scientists tested over 1,026 women in The United States, so far. So the science is real, and proven.

Thanks to this breakthrough…

“You Can Get A Phone Number,
    A Date Or Even A
    First Kiss With ANY Woman
    In 5 Minutes Or Less…”

• Options
    I don't trust a 12th year PhD student

• Options
    12th year PhD., UCLA

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    It's pronounced Fuddukla

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    12 years simultaneous rotation in one PhD

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Druhim wrote:
    12th year PhD., UCLA

that's my ethnic ethopian name

don't discriminate

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Man... I go to sleep for 15 hours and miss all sorts of interesting philosophical discussion.

Damn!!!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    OpenHerBox.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Jimmy do you lie to hookers?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    If I had the money?

Sure.

No reason I can't be Max Powers, international investor, for the evening.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    The Bad News: Those Dirty Researchers
    Kept This Extraordinary Science PRIVATE, For Decades…
    This gang of researchers hid their discovery because it could be extremely dangerous – in the wrong hands. The good news is, they hid it in plain sight…

They published their findings in psychology books. But… instead of calling their research “Female Psychology”… They called it “Dimensional Personality Traits And The Prediction of DSM-IV.” (Among other, confusing, technical names)

This way, they kept their secrets private. And away from prying eyes, like ours…

Until A Lonely Ex-Janitor
    Stumbled Upon This Science And Seduced HUNDREDS Of Women With It…
    This man’s name is Vin DiCarlo. And… not even a year ago, today… He “sniffed out” the secrets in these 96+ books and articles. He saw this research for what it really was: A key into any woman’s fantasies about sex. And therefore, a way to get any woman into bed!

• Options
    But Rolo..how do I get you?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    So is he an ex janitor because he's do rich after screwing all these women that he doesnt need a job

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    the loophole is a gun in the face

KISS ME OR DIE

• Options
    druhim three simple posts will allow you to overload my frontal lobe, rending my soft innards ripe for exploitation and impregnation

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    The three questions are

1. What is your favourite pokemon?

2. You can't say Clefable. Clefable's my favourite.

3. Well if you really like Clefable that much you're gonna love my penis.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    What's the difference between an 11th year and a 12th year PhD

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Butler wrote:
    The three questions are

1. What is your favourite pokemon?

2. You can't say Clefable. Clefable's my favourite.

3. Well if you really like Clefable that much you're gonna love my penis.

Because it's magic, has been through a surprising number of voice actors, oh and it only exists in the context of a Japanese franchise

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    What's the difference between an 11th year and a 12th year PhD

The 12th year is when they teach you the Wu-Tang Secret

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I have been waaaaay more upset by people online than in real life.

Usually people in rl are mean because you did something to upset them, or because they're just in a mood, in which case you can confront them and work things out.

People online who are mean, well, there's just no reason for it. Which means someone went to the time and trouble to single you out to be mean to just for the sake of being mean. And sometimes they can get really nasty, too.

I once had a series of PMs from a H&A/G&T forumer (of all people!) who went on and on about my appearance and how ugly I was... like, why?!

And then there was Borfase, who was seriously threatening to beat me up if he ever saw me, and worse.

Janson on
  • Options
    Rolo wrote: »
    druhim three simple posts will allow you to overload my frontal lobe, rending my soft innards ripe for exploitation and impregnation

FINALLY
    I CAN HARDLY WAIT TO IMPLANT MY BROOD IN YOUR BRAINSTEM

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Borfase was kind of a worthless shitpile, yes

• Options

Janson wrote:
    I have been waaaaay more upset by people online than in real life.

Usually people in rl are mean because you did something to upset them, or because they're just in a mood, in which case you can confront them and work things out.

People online who are mean, well, there's just no reason for it. Which means someone went to the time and trouble to single you out to be mean to just for the sake of being mean. And sometimes they can get really nasty, too.

I once had a series of PMs from a H&A/G&T forumer (of all people!) who went on and on about my appearance and how ugly I was... like, why?!

And then there was Borfase, who was seriously threatening to beat me up if he ever saw me, and worse.

seriously?

I hope that bullshit hasn't happened recently, Janson