Options

Twenty thousand posts under the SE(++), or, Emergent group dynamics in online communities

• Options
    CoohlaCoohla Registered User regular
    On an unrelated topic, Neil Strauss is doing an IAmA on reddit. Right now. I lied. It is related.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ppb72/iam_a_seventime_new_york_times_bestselling_author/

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Coohla wrote:
    On an unrelated topic, Neil Strauss is doing an IAmA on reddit. Right now. I lied. It is related.
    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ppb72/iam_a_seventime_new_york_times_bestselling_author/

why are you such a sack of shit

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    is a question

I would ask

that dude

• Options
    My heart stopped for a moment there.

• Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Ubik wrote:
    i love the phrase "a loophole in female psychology"

DENNIS

thedennissystem.png

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Coohla wrote:
    Buttlord wrote:
    The Game is actually not about how awesome PUA is

It's about how fucking horrendous it is and how it destroys lives

I mean it starts off with Mystery having a complete breakdown for fuck's sake

But Neil Strauss likes money and went back to doing it

Oh I sure agree with that. It's just that at least some of the PUAs seem like they want to have a good personality, you know, actually be a better person. But most of their followers are assholes.

Also, this forum goes forward way faster than I can respond to.

They're assholes too, they just don't realize it

They're substituting BEEP BOOP algorithims and techniques for real personality and it shows

• Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    JoeUser wrote:
    Ubik wrote:

DENNIS

thedennissystem.png
    no man it's all about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ1lc6KASWg

campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    I love the boat episode

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    guys and more specifically @Rolo a girl just messaged me on OkCupid

how soon do I neg her

sig.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    thorgot wrote:
    JoeUser wrote:
    Ubik wrote:

DENNIS

thedennissystem.png
    no man it's all about

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ1lc6KASWg

First you'll need to get a bunker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZnLu43kztU

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    More SE people should go to the D&D meetup things.
    Ny/Nj has quite a few

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Buttlord wrote:

They're substituting BEEP BOOP algorithims and techniques for real personality and it shows

Where is the line between those two? If you are a socially awkward guy, but a nice person (not "they don't get me" but "I wish I could just talk to them"), you have two choices. Stay that way and hope for the best. Or go out, overcome your fear step by step, succeed (hopefully). Once you do that, you might want to help others like you do the same. Make their lives better.

Ultimately it comes down to the intentions. The good ones want people to like them for being likeable, and are then delighted that they belong. Assholes want to get laid and take the shortest possible route.

It's like in university, we have basically two types of students here. Ones want to study to gain knowledge, know about something. They will do their jobs well and will hopefully get paid well for it. Others just want to get a degree, a paper and title that will possibly get them a better paying job. Short-term results might be the same. Guess who's the asshole. And, just like with PUAs, guess who's better at doing the job.

By learning these BEEP BOOP algorithms they are mostly just learning stuff that is second nature for the not-socially-awkward people. They might even get better at it than most, good for them, they earned it. If they're still assholes by your standards, it could mean we live in a universe where socially awkward people are just doomed to be assholes. Possible.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Also, a 12th year PhD is like a 6th year senior

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Man I hate PUAs.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Coohla wrote:
    Buttlord wrote:

Where is the line between those two? If you are a socially awkward guy, but a nice person (not "they don't get me" but "I wish I could just talk to them"), you have two choices. Stay that way and hope for the best. Or go out, overcome your fear step by step, succeed (hopefully). Once you do that, you might want to help others like you do the same. Make their lives better.

Ultimately it comes down to the intentions. The good ones want people to like them for being likeable, and are then delighted that they belong. Assholes want to get laid and take the shortest possible route.

It's like in university, we have basically two types of students here. Ones want to study to gain knowledge, know about something. They will do their jobs well and will hopefully get paid well for it. Others just want to get a degree, a paper and title that will possibly get them a better paying job. Short-term results might be the same. Guess who's the asshole. And, just like with PUAs, guess who's better at doing the job.

By learning these BEEP BOOP algorithms they are mostly just learning stuff that is second nature for the not-socially-awkward people. They might even get better at it than most, good for them, they earned it. If they're still assholes by your standards, it could mean we live in a universe where socially awkward people are just doomed to be assholes. Possible.

Uh

Normal people don't learn the "patterns" or whatever the fuck PUAs call the rote series of techniques that they use to fuck a girl

The basic ideas, to make yourself stand out, to be interesting, to know how to open a conversation, etc, those are good! Little exercises designed to help people with those are good! Taking them to the extremes of PUA is bad. Because once you start doing the PUA shit where you're "applying kino" and "negging" and so on and so forth you're a piece of shit manipulating women into having sex with you solely so that they'll have sex with you.

This is ignorning how many PUAs will tell you how to "overcome resistance" to having sex with you, which is just a fancy way to say "hey here is how to rape a girl"

Also because you have idiots like Mystery who hear "stand out" and come up with peacocking

Buttlord on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    so it's news to me that there was a /r/beatingwomen
    Many of you may be here in response to the banning of the jailbait subreddits, looking for the next target of your ire.
    The fact is, you can take down an outlet, but you cannot take down a source. The source is men. As long as you are a woman, you will be smaller than us, weaker than us, and used by us to fulfill our desires. Subreddits like SRS attempt to soothe the cognitive dissonance created by this indisputable truth.
    The idea that something was accomplished today is beyond idiotic. The fact remains that any time you walk outside, any time you are seen by men, they objectify you, they hunger for you, they dream of holding you down and violating you, and many of you will get the chance to let them act out those desires before your time is through.
    So let me say this clearly one more time: You. Are. Whores. Most of you just use your bodies for bartering as opposed to cash.
    Keep that thought in mind as you return to your regularly scheduled programming.

yeah I think it's ok to go ahead and just shut this one down

• Options
    wow

that's a post, alright

sig.png
  • Options
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    D:

That is horrible and scary as hell for me as a father of a little girl.

edit: talking about what MrMonroe quoted

ObiFett on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Welp reading that just made me feel horrible and angry

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Stay classy, reddit

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    I want to understand people

but I don't know that I want to understand people like that

• Options
    Seriously wrote:

I don't think there is too much to understand.

They are villains.

• Options
    Seriously wrote:

fRpfP.png

sig.png
  • Options
    Buttlord wrote:
    Uh

Normal people don't learn the "patterns" or whatever the fuck PUAs call the rote series of techniques that they use to fuck a girl

The basic ideas, to make yourself stand out, to be interesting, to know how to open a conversation, etc, those are good! Little exercises designed to help people with those are good! Taking them to the extremes of PUA is bad. Because once you start doing the PUA shit where you're "applying kino" and "negging" and so on and so forth you're a piece of shit manipulating women into having sex with you solely so that they'll have sex with you.

This is ignorning how many PUAs will tell you how to "overcome resistance" to having sex with you, which is just a fancy way to say "hey here is how to rape a girl"

Also because you have idiots like Mystery who hear "stand out" and come up with peacocking

Okay yes I think that about covers it.

But it raises questions I don't feel good discussing (I'd like to know if the following is a terrible opinion). Is it rape when she wants to have sex? You could say hypnosis makes her do that as well and that definitely is rape. We know it's wrong, because she would not have done so without it and will not do it again when she snaps out of it. Maybe those tricks you mention are like hypnosis. But somehow, I don't think the girl will ever 'snap out of it'. Just like when you're picking up a girl, old school way (no clubbing over the head, not that oldschool). You are always using patterns. You're just usually not sure which one will work, so you choose by some perceived probability or whatever. They just found better ones through trial and error. Once again, I think it's the intention that matters.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Have we talked about the ladder theory yet?

But re: "Nice Guys finishing last", when I was in high school I was a class clown but no girl would give me the time of day. I was generally a nice kid (kind of a smartass but not mean to girls) and I just couldn't figure it out. A buddy of mine who was 2 years older than me (actually my friend's older brother) convinced me of the whole NGFL thing and that was the reason why I couldn't meet women. I kept believing that guy and, while I never became an asshole, I just lamented my life because I was just too nice to date.

Then I got to college and it turns out that I just wasn't interesting and I let women walk all over me. I started being more involved in things other than student activities and getting more confidence gave me the ability to not just date, but be more social and successful. Now I'm a full adult and I have a (somewhat) interesting job, I perform stand-up, I cook, I'm a magician for kids in the hospital, and I can pretty much talk to people about anything.

I had dinner with that guy a few months ago and it turns out he's kind of a sleazeball. He photographs models for a living in Mexico and tells me he's dating a few of them at a time. Whether he's lying or telling the truth, he's a douchebag for it and I kind of hate the fact that my younger self would hang out with him.

tl:dr, Guys who consider themselves 'nice guys finishing last' are typically manipulative dickbags who tell themselves they are nice so when they get mad at the world, they aren't in the wrong because "they're oh so nice to people"

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Coohla wrote:
    Buttlord wrote:
    Uh

But it raises questions I don't feel good discussing (I'd like to know if the following is a terrible opinion). Is it rape when she wants to have sex? You could say hypnosis makes her do that as well and that definitely is rape. We know it's wrong, because she would not have done so without it and will not do it again when she snaps out of it. Maybe those tricks you mention are like hypnosis. But somehow, I don't think the girl will ever 'snap out of it'. Just like when you're picking up a girl, old school way (no clubbing over the head, not that oldschool). You are always using patterns. You're just usually not sure which one will work, so you choose by some perceived probability or whatever. They just found better ones through trial and error. Once again, I think it's the intention that matters.

This is largely an issue of what constitutes consent.

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    This is a pretty interesting thread. I read both of the links in the OP, it was fun and kind of makes me think about a situation that is happening at my work atm with our department being re-organized and restructured under another department and how some of the guys I work with are reacting to it.

In reference to terrible people on a subreddit
    I would kind of like to see a secret webcam of that dude typing out that message. What does he look like? What are his daily interactions? How did he get so fucked up? Is it possible to keep other people from getting so fucked up?

And I just wanted to say, earlier in the thread you guys were talking about horror movies and stuff. I think the scariest scene in a movie I can think of off the top of my head is the scene from Zodiac, where the Zodiac killer finds that couple on their picnic and ties them up and stabs them in the back as they lie on the ground. That thought of being helpless as someone is stabbing your loved one because you thought he was only going to rob you two? ugh, fuck that, you better have a gun or in much better shape than me if your gonna try to rob my ass.

Buddies on
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Maaan I used to believe the whole nice guys finished last thing. "Oh I'm so nice and would treat her way better than that guy." It is amazing I ever actually got girlfriends, not amazing that they did not last too long until college. Then I went through a lot of stuff and grew up, and started taking care of myself, becoming more self-confident and etc.

I totally wouldn't date the me of several years ago either. I still have work to do though, diggin myself out of school debt, finding a job that is not food service.

Anyway. Ladder theory people are the fuckin worst, also pick up artists.

Also all of those horrible horrible horrible subreddits. Jesus fucking christ they make me mad. And there is nothing I can do about it. Those people exist. What the fuck is wrong with them, why do they act that way.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Coohla wrote:
    Buttlord wrote:
    Uh

If she says no, and you continue to coerce her, it's rape

Full stop

"No means no" is an old line, but it's true. If she says "no" or any variation thereof? Fucking stop

Also the intention is nothing more than to convince women to fuck them through emotional manipulation

It is as scummy as you can get, please stop defending PUA horseshit

Buttlord on
  • Options
    MrMonroe wrote:
    so it's news to me that there was a /r/beatingwomen
    Many of you may be here in response to the banning of the jailbait subreddits, looking for the next target of your ire.
    The fact is, you can take down an outlet, but you cannot take down a source. The source is men. As long as you are a woman, you will be smaller than us, weaker than us, and used by us to fulfill our desires. Subreddits like SRS attempt to soothe the cognitive dissonance created by this indisputable truth.
    The idea that something was accomplished today is beyond idiotic. The fact remains that any time you walk outside, any time you are seen by men, they objectify you, they hunger for you, they dream of holding you down and violating you, and many of you will get the chance to let them act out those desires before your time is through.
    So let me say this clearly one more time: You. Are. Whores. Most of you just use your bodies for bartering as opposed to cash.
    Keep that thought in mind as you return to your regularly scheduled programming.

yeah I think it's ok to go ahead and just shut this one down

r/beatingtrannies and r/rapingwomen exist too

Welcome to reddit

Here is your complimentary loaded shotgun

• Options
    Buttlord wrote:

Full stop

I dunno about that. What if you're married, and you ask your husband for sex, and he says no he's busy, and then you say 'pleeeaaase' and he says 'oh all right'

Did you rape him? I feel like most people would say no.

sig.png
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    i signed up for a reddit account so that i could take /r/atheism and /r/stupidshittymempics off the frontpage

i think that's the only change i made and it made reddit pretty okay

• Options
    which is not to say PUAs aren't vile, despicable people

but trying to say that convincing someone to have sex with you is the same as rape is a pretty untenable position, and kind of trivializes actual rape

sig.png
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Tossrock wrote:
    Buttlord wrote:

Full stop

I dunno about that. What if you're married, and you ask your husband for sex, and he says no he's busy, and then you say 'pleeeaaase' and he says 'oh all right'

Are you really fuckin doing this

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote:
    I'm a magician for kids in the hospital

This is so cool Bedi

• Options
    Artreus wrote:
    Tossrock wrote:
    Buttlord wrote:

Full stop

Are you really fuckin doing this

Doing what? Disputing that convincing someone to have sex with you is not rape? Yes, I am. I don't feel like that's very crazy!

sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Tossrock wrote:
    Buttlord wrote:

Full stop

I should clarify: there is a level of implied consent in a marriage/long-term relationship that isn't present in the PUA scenario

More specifically

Coercing a woman you've just met and hit on expressly for the purpose of having sex into having sex with you despite her objections is rape

(Also that scenario isn't "She said no, so I backed off and then I tried it again and THIS TIME SHE DIDN'T FIGHT ME IT'S TOTALLY OKAY GUYS", which I've read more than once (or a hundred times) in seddit)

Buttlord on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    wowza

I feel pretty good about building up one of these "external enemy identification and vilification" emergent group dynamics surrounding Reddit now

• Options
    MrMonroe wrote:
    wowza

I feel pretty good about building up one of these "external enemy identification and vilification" emergent group dynamics surrounding Reddit now

The worst part is how many people are defending it

Or getting mad when you call them a pedophile for getting mad about subreddits devoted to jerking off to kids being shut down

Like hey if you don't want to be called a pedophile maybe you shouldn't fight for the rights of pedophiles to masturbate to children