As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning] DLC on March 20th! Info in OP.

2456733

Posts

  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    There's a few things out there where I've received notes and letters and whatnot that I feel may have quests attached, but have yet to find them if so. The series of Graveside Letters in Gorhart, Frea Almar's death notice, and so on. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some rather obscure stuff out there that is story locked and in areas you ordinarily wouldn't go back to.

    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    It's like you guys work together to troll anyone who comes in here with anything other than the most glorious of opinions.

    I said explicitely that the game has tons of content, and I'm just surprised the lead designer exaggerated the content time by 300% or more. It was promoted that the game took 200 hours to 100% speed run, playing several times faster than a normal player would. One of the dev quotes, captaink, ironically said they should be saying how huge the game is on the box. I thought that was a pretty silly exageration, given how absurd it was and given how widespread it was quoted. Then suddenly I'm somehow upset there's not enough content? Herpes, no one is letting the comments in this thread "prevent them from enjoying this game" except you. Just because you read a comment you don't agree with, doesn't mean it's a damn gauntlet being thrown down.

    I'm going to take the advice I've received in a PM and just stop reading this thread. At first I was able to ignore the blatant fanboyism that causes some people to attack anyone with a differing opinion, in the hope that I could glean some honest opinions about the finer points in this game. I was wrong. Even very specific comments, if not flat out gushing and groveling, are trolled and then torn apart. Basil's comments especially are almost every single time just a stupid quip to devalue another's opinion. You win, man. You're so witty and sarcastic that I now agree with your opinion instead.

    Maybe in a few weeks when I perhaps pick up this title, this thread will be filled with the usual fun, friendly, and open discussion that's characteristic of the G&T forums. For now, it's like a high school locker room and all the "cool kids" are snickering in the corner.

    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    captaink wrote:
    Missing the point Dude. They care because they believe they have been lied to.

    People have been lied to about how long games are since games have been made. Granted, 200 hours is pretty egregious, but it was just an offhand comment. It's not on the box or anything.

    Given that I'm neutral here and just mentioning what I'm observing (since I don't give a damn either way), to me the ones blowing the issue out of proportion in this case are the defenders.
    The negative comments themselves aren't that emotive or inflammatory and nobody has spoken ill of the game itself. Disliking being lied to is a perfectly valid reason to make a negative comment. That it is common in no way changes its validity.

    This is one of those cases where an argument is artificially turned into a "big deal" when it really isn't.

    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The natives are rebelling. Jeeves, ready my submersible.

    I'll get you, @Figgy, and your little dog, too.

    Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I've been playing for about 40 hours: I'm almost done with the second area (the desert). After that I still have 3 left.

    I finished Fable 3 in 3 days. Dungeon Siege 3 took me slightly less.

    (pic cause this thread lacks screenies)
    AfterPicThree.jpg

    Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    IME, the only weapons that really seem distinctive in appearance so far are the large ones. Most Chakrams are, well, Chakrams and so on, while Hammers and Greatswords have some variety.

    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Figgy wrote:
    It's like you guys work together to troll anyone who comes in here with anything other than the most glorious of opinions.

    I said explicitely that the game has tons of content, and I'm just surprised the lead designer exaggerated the content time by 300% or more. It was promoted that the game took 200 hours to 100% speed run, playing several times faster than a normal player would. One of the dev quotes, captaink, ironically said they should be saying how huge the game is on the box. I thought that was a pretty silly exageration, given how absurd it was and given how widespread it was quoted. Then suddenly I'm somehow upset there's not enough content? Herpes, no one is letting the comments in this thread "prevent them from enjoying this game" except you. Just because you read a comment you don't agree with, doesn't mean it's a damn gauntlet being thrown down.

    I'm going to take the advice I've received in a PM and just stop reading this thread. At first I was able to ignore the blatant fanboyism that causes some people to attack anyone with a differing opinion, in the hope that I could glean some honest opinions about the finer points in this game. I was wrong. Even very specific comments, if not flat out gushing and groveling, are trolled and then torn apart. Basil's comments especially are almost every single time just a stupid quip to devalue another's opinion. You win, man. You're so witty and sarcastic that I now agree with your opinion instead.

    Maybe in a few weeks when I perhaps pick up this title, this thread will be filled with the usual fun, friendly, and open discussion that's characteristic of the G&T forums. For now, it's like a high school locker room and all the "cool kids" are snickering in the corner.

    Why is it that every time someone defends something, they are referred to as a "fanboy", as if we are super biased and don't think rationally as a result?

    Many of us like the game, so of course we're gonna defend it a little. I haven't seen a single poster go to any extremes, like "FUCK YOU, MAN, YOU SILLY GOOSE! THIS GAME IS AWESOME! YOU MUST JUST SUCK!!!"

    I mean, you're dogging on the game and you haven't even played it yet, dude. And anything that's a response to heavy and base-less criticism cannot be called trolling, gushing, or groveling. It's them telling you you just simply don't know what you're talking about.

    And if you haven't played the actual game yet, you DON'T in fact know what you're talking about. Simple.

    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Basil wrote:
    The natives are rebelling. Jeeves, ready my submersible.

    I'll get you, @Figgy, and your little dog, too.

    Unfortunately sir the Submersible is still in shop after your unfortunate "incident" last Tuesday with Madam White's Maid.
    Shall I ready the backup? Only I'm not sure the snorkle will still fit. It has been a number of years....

    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I just wish the game was harder, be it enemies blocking (which would make certain abilities like Lunge or charged attacks more useful) or more level scaling. I also wouldn't mind armor dyes and perhaps an online PvP mode to battle your friends.

    Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Does the adessa questline end when you get your house? Seems really abrupt.

    And is there anything I can do with the motus mining documents I find in apertyre? Kind of want to be a jerk to them after reading what they say, but can't see how to do it.

  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote:
    Does the adessa questline end when you get your house? Seems really abrupt.

    And is there anything I can do with the motus mining documents I find in apertyre? Kind of want to be a jerk to them after reading what they say, but can't see how to do it.

    You get a house, talk to someone, talk to someone else, then Boss Fight. THEN the Adessa quest-line is finished.

    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • SyrionusSyrionus Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Figgy wrote:
    It's like you guys work together to troll anyone who comes in here with anything other than the most glorious of opinions.

    I said explicitely that the game has tons of content, and I'm just surprised the lead designer exaggerated the content time by 300% or more. It was promoted that the game took 200 hours to 100% speed run, playing several times faster than a normal player would. One of the dev quotes, captaink, ironically said they should be saying how huge the game is on the box. I thought that was a pretty silly exageration, given how absurd it was and given how widespread it was quoted. Then suddenly I'm somehow upset there's not enough content? Herpes, no one is letting the comments in this thread "prevent them from enjoying this game" except you. Just because you read a comment you don't agree with, doesn't mean it's a damn gauntlet being thrown down.

    I'm going to take the advice I've received in a PM and just stop reading this thread. At first I was able to ignore the blatant fanboyism that causes some people to attack anyone with a differing opinion, in the hope that I could glean some honest opinions about the finer points in this game. I was wrong. Even very specific comments, if not flat out gushing and groveling, are trolled and then torn apart. Basil's comments especially are almost every single time just a stupid quip to devalue another's opinion. You win, man. You're so witty and sarcastic that I now agree with your opinion instead.

    Maybe in a few weeks when I perhaps pick up this title, this thread will be filled with the usual fun, friendly, and open discussion that's characteristic of the G&T forums. For now, it's like a high school locker room and all the "cool kids" are snickering in the corner.

    Figgy, I am not saying that it isn't possible. I am saying that it is very unlikely. I could be wrong but until I have any kind of proof, I am going to go with common sense. I have been playing the game since launch (went to the midnight release) and I can tell that I am not even half way through the game. I am trying to get a 100% completion but there is no way to verify because I haven't found a place where the game says how much you have completed. If there is an achievement, then the person stating their ridiculous claims of beating it in 87.5 hours, would have some proof. If there isn't an achievement, then he/she doesn't even know if they completed 100% of the content. Either way, right now, we have a "he said, she said" situation. I really am enjoying the game and normally just blow off the "This sucks" comments because everyone has opinions and view things differently. However, to straight talk out their egg layer, is something that should be addressed. Plus, after you beat the game, there are quests that you only get to appear after you beat the game. So, 100% is very unlikely. Beyond that, if you hate the art, the quests, the animations, etc. fine so be it. I know games, and for that matter, all forms of entertainment are subjective but once again, lets not get super ridiculous with claims in any category.

    Peace to all and to all feel my Hammer!

    Syrionus on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Everyone should just relax :)

    I had a thought: I'm not talking to non-quest npcs, for the most part, but I imagine that if you really were going for a 100% completion run and needed to talk to everyone using every dialogue option...well, I'm thinking that would add a crapload more hours too. Personally I don't consider that part of a completionist run, but I'm sure some people are ocd about missing in-game dialogue.

    I think my current playthrough will be just over 100 hours, given my current rate of progress. I think that's amazing value for money. I might respec full might to experience some greatsword hijinx at some point, those might armors looks friggin' sweet!

    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote:
    Everyone should just relax :)

    I had a thought: I'm not talking to non-quest npcs, for the most part, but I imagine that if you really were going for a 100% completion run and needed to talk to everyone using every dialogue option...well, I'm thinking that would add a crapload more hours too. Personally I don't consider that part of a completionist run, but I'm sure some people are ocd about missing in-game dialogue.

    I think my current playthrough will be just over 100 hours, given my current rate of progress. I think that's amazing value for money. I might respec full might to experience some greatsword hijinx at some point, those might armors looks friggin' sweet!

    I can't imagine doing that. I stopped checking every single dialog option and started picking only the ones I was interested in after like the 5th time I asked someone about the Crystal War only to hear a variation of "Yeah, the war is hard, but we do what we can."

    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    Man, I just finished the House of Ballards stuff. First of all, damn that was fun and second, fuck you random loot!

    Also i know the whole WoW thing is a dead horse but, how the hell can you really compare the two? having played WoW on and off for many years, wha? Not even close.

    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Twenty-five hours into my Finesse character and I make the horrible decision involved in, "The Widow" quest. After about two minutes of yelling at myself I re-rolled a Ljolsafar Sorcerer.

    Not rushing to House of Valor with a mage. Bad enough with a Rogue at the beginning of the game.

  • DeviousRakunDeviousRakun Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Helloween wrote:
    Man, I just finished the House of Ballards stuff. First of all, damn that was fun and second, fuck you random loot!

    Also i know the whole WoW thing is a dead horse but, how the hell can you really compare the two? having played WoW on and off for many years, wha? Not even close.
    I really only saw one stupid similarity that's been pointed out already, I think. The red bar's behind things like 'select' and your character profile on the first menu. I immediately thought of WoW when I first saw those.

    I've been building a sneaking character, but I've noticed I don't get actually get a lot sneak kills, because enemies are bunched so together and, like, hyper aware whenever one of their allies go down, I'm starting to think putting points into stealth was a waste.. Am I missing something crucial or does it get infinitely better as I go? I've only hit it's first milestone as of right now.

    DeviousRakun on
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Syrionus wrote:

    Figgy, I am not saying that it isn't possible. I am saying that it is very unlikely. I could be wrong but until I have any kind of proof, I am going to go with common sense. I have been playing the game since launch (went to the midnight release) and I can tell that I am not even half way through the game. I am trying to get a 100% completion but there is no way to verify because I haven't found a place where the game says how much you have completed. If there is an achievement, then the person stating their ridiculous claims of beating it in 87.5 hours, would have some proof. If there isn't an achievement, then he/she doesn't even know if they completed 100% of the content. Either way, right now, we have a "he said, she said" situation. I really am enjoying the game and normally just blow off the "This sucks" comments because everyone has opinions and view things differently. However, to straight talk out their egg layer, is something that should be addressed. Plus, after you beat the game, there are quests that you only get to appear after you beat the game. So, 100% is very unlikely. Beyond that, if you hate the art, the quests, the animations, etc. fine so be it. I know games, and for that matter, all forms of entertainment are subjective but once again, lets not get super ridiculous with claims in any category.

    Peace to all and to all feel my Hammer!

    This is a big honking load of goosey nonsense. Yeah, I can't post a nice screencap of %completion. You really want me to post screencaps of my stats I will. This is what I know. As of right now, at 87.5 hours, I have zero available quests via exclamation marks. If there is any other content for me to do it is hidden to the point of absurdity since the very first skill I maxed is detect hidden. So while yes, there might be content that I missed, there sure as fucking hell isn't at completely bare minimum 110 hours of the shit (and remember, the original quote isn't just 200 hours, it's speedrunning it at 200 hours but I'm willing to just assume the guy who said it has no idea what the actual connotations of the word speedrun are). I literally cannot fathom why this is causing anyone any consternation. The only proper response at all should be, "oh those crazy fucking marketers and the hilariously ridiculous lies they tell!" As The Dude has said, a 90 hour game is incredibly fucking impressive and is not, in any way, an insult.

    Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • SyrionusSyrionus Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Lanrutcon wrote:
    Everyone should just relax :)

    I had a thought: I'm not talking to non-quest npcs, for the most part, but I imagine that if you really were going for a 100% completion run and needed to talk to everyone using every dialogue option...well, I'm thinking that would add a crapload more hours too. Personally I don't consider that part of a completionist run, but I'm sure some people are ocd about missing in-game dialogue.

    I think my current playthrough will be just over 100 hours, given my current rate of progress. I think that's amazing value for money. I might respec full might to experience some greatsword hijinx at some point, those might armors looks friggin' sweet!

    Not really getting bent out of shape over it. Maybe my posts lead one to believe I am. I just address silly goosery, is all. Anyway, back at headquarters.
    Helloween wrote:
    Man, I just finished the House of Ballards stuff. First of all, damn that was fun and second, fuck you random loot!

    Also i know the whole WoW thing is a dead horse but, how the hell can you really compare the two? having played WoW on and off for many years, wha? Not even close.
    I really only saw one stupid similarity that's been pointed out already, I think. The red bar's behind things like 'select' and your character profile on the first menu. I immediately thought of WoW when I first saw those.

    I have payed WoW for about 6 years and I can see quite a few influences and by influences, I also mean comparisons. Now, I think they took everything that was good about it and put it in a single player RPG. Which, as I said before on several forums, is exactly how I pictured WoW if it was single player. Of course you have to ignore the combat because they are nothing alike. So ignore that part.

    Why is that I will find a way to complete the most ridiculous of quests? I particularly remember one in the first region where I had to pick some plants for a dude in the
    Blood Plagued Town.
    It took me almost an hour to collect all of those. Not to mention, one of them took a bit for me to figure out how to get down to it. I find myself becoming a completionist with this game and I am usually far from that type of person. I have yet to beat most of the games in my collection. This includes Skyrim.

    Did anyone find Waldo yet?

    Syrionus on
  • TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    Soooooo. Yeah. Game-breaking bug.

    On the quest "The Great General" I went out to speak with the august personage in question. She explains I'll need to whack these five stones using this windchime. Only. She doesnt give me the chime, and none of the gigantic button thingies have an interaction button, and I dont have the chime in my inventory. She still has the post-event-flag conversation block, but my quick map still points to the top of her head.

    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • RacheyaRacheya Registered User new member
    I've been stalking the previous thread for about 40 pages, ever since I tried the Amalur demo, and I finally registered to join the discussion :P

    I started off with a Sorcery character using Chakrams/Staff then I tried out might but I missed my Chakrams too much so I went back to sorcery. I just respecced to try out a Sorcery/Finesse build with Chakrams/Daggers. I'm intending on using my Chakrams for main combat and daggers to try and get some stealth kills in. I'm a little unsure of whether to be using finesse or sorcery armour but I figured I'd need mana so I stuck with my robes. I've got 21 hours under my belt and I'm in Tala-Rane in Ettinmere. I am slightly slow at these sorts of games though. I'm loving this game though, well worth the £30.

  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I found it silly of the designers to put that fat, mo-hawk monster on their loading screen. Not a big thing, but it is annoying to see that on load up. Not very esthetically pleasing.

  • SyrionusSyrionus Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote:
    I found it silly of the designers to put that fat, mo-hawk monster on their loading screen. Not a big thing, but it is annoying to see that on load up. Not very esthetically pleasing.

    They had to. He is under contract.

  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Helloween wrote:
    Man, I just finished the House of Ballards stuff. First of all, damn that was fun and second, fuck you random loot!

    Also i know the whole WoW thing is a dead horse but, how the hell can you really compare the two? having played WoW on and off for many years, wha? Not even close.
    I really only saw one stupid similarity that's been pointed out already, I think. The red bar's behind things like 'select' and your character profile on the first menu. I immediately thought of WoW when I first saw those.

    I've been building a sneaking character, but I've noticed I don't get actually get a lot sneak kills, because enemies are bunched so together and, like, hyper aware whenever one of their allies go down, I'm starting to think putting points into stealth was a waste.. Am I missing something crucial or does it get infinitely better as I go? I've only hit it's first milestone as of right now.

    Stealth tips!

    1. Get the Detect Hidden skill to let you see enemy facing on the minimap. Critical. Always aproach from an angle or better still: from behind.
    2. Dodgeroll while stealthed: you move faster.
    3. Remember that you can cross an enemy's LOS while stealthed, as long as you leave his LOS before his eye symbol is full.
    4. You can assassinate targets that haven't spotted you, even if their friends have. Enemies have to spot you, THEN warn their friends. You have time between someone spotting you and the warning going out.
    5. Breaking LOS with enemies for enough time resets stealth.
    6. Getting enough distance with enemies resets stealth.
    7. After stealth resets enemies return to their original places, most of the time. Stabbing them as they break off pursuit totally works.
    8. You can use those firecracker items (the ones that make noise) to draw enemies out. Place one down (they have amazing range), get behind a corner. After the enemies inspect the noise, they'll leave. While leaving they have their backs to you...feel free to assassinate em one at a time. Also: drop mines around the firecracker :P
    9. The Stealth skill pays off, but only at high levels. Either go big or go home.
    10. While in the stealth kill animation enemy detection gets dodgy. It's hard to explain, but stabbing multiple dudes in a pack is in fact easier than logic dictates it be.

    Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    It's time to visit the Fateweaver and rewrite outselves a new topic of discussion.

    Shamelessly Stolen from GameFAQs: Blacksmithing and Salvaging Theorycraft
    Just realized how confusing that sounds. Okay, let's break it down. *Runs to her stash and puts on her scholar hat.* For the following you will need level 7 blacksmithing and sagecrafting.

    Say you have a jewel (the ones you make out of shards) and you want to have a weapon component INHERIT the power of the jewel so you can DOUBLE your power.

    So, here's the jewel I want to use: "Gem of Incineration: 30 Fire Damage and 20 Burning Damage over 7 seconds". That's a weapon jewel, by the way. It was made with Pristine-quality shards.

    So say I want to make a flaming greatsword, so I need to use the jewel in the creation of a greatsword then salvage. Since I want a GREATSWORD I combine the following.
    (Since it's going to be salvaged you can use crappy components. The only thing that dictates the quality of salvage is the strength of the jewel used. As far as I know...)

    Large Iron Blade + Crude Hilt + Basic Grip + Simple Bindings + Gem of Incineration

    Again, use your CRAPPIEST items for this since most of it will be scrapped. So you have your fire damage greatsword. Now you need to save your game! Now salvage. Did you get a Flamed Hilt? No? Reload and do it until you get one!

    Got your hilt? Good!

    Alright, so now you have your hilt or other 'second component'. AKA the second material you need for a weapon. (Not to be confused with secondary materials) Be it fulcrum, shaft or hilt.

    Now you are wondering if you can gain any secondary materials like rivets, straps, grip and etcetera. Heres where things get tricky...

    You can NOT (as far as I know and trust me, I've TRIED) make secondary components with weapon jewels. It's just not possible. You have to use ARMOR or UTILITY jewels. To get certain straps and bindings you have to use a jewel with a scepter or chakram. Those two weapons work differently then all the others. You can not use weapon jewels in their creation, only utility.

    I have gotten +mana, +mana regen, +crit rivets, +health and +health regen (I think) from scepter and armor salvages. It's up to you to experiment. If enough people ask I will start making a list.

    Anyways, do you have your hilt for your greatsword and maybe a nice binding for it? Pick your best materials and start crafting.

    I did something like:

    Large Prismere Blade + Flawless Flamed Hilt + Greater Sage Grip + Flawless Restoring Bindings + (another) Gem of Incineration

    Now, the Flawless Flamed Hilt inherited the same stats as the Gem of Incineration. So in the creation of the Greatsword I have DOUBLED the effect, stacking them.

    Now, please meet Phoenix: http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h4/Kittykunoichi/Phoenix.jpg

    Is it the BEST anyone has EVER made? Probably not. You guys could probably do better, but it's waaaaay OP.

    V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I mentioned it at some point: salvaged stuff crafted with gems gets you cool shit :) you can also do it with epic gems and body armor, but it's trickier and very few of the epic gems translate into components. It compounds the obscene brokeness that is Blacksmithing.

    This is where I mention I'm currently rolling with 80%+ critital hit, 60%+ total damage, 4 mana/health regen and Sylvan daggers with 80something damage on them. My dagger crits range from 1.2k to 2.2k (depending on the armor/dr of the target). My highest assassination is just over 250,000 damage. I'm not max level or using the best components for crafting...yet.

    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote:
    Even very specific comments, if not flat out gushing and groveling, are trolled and then torn apart.

    I am enjoying the game immensely, but even I think there are numerous problems with it - they just don't impede my enjoyment much.

    1) The game is ridiculously easy (I have complained about this before). So far I've played about 40 hours. I have died twice: Once to a bug and once to an instant death (!?) accident on dispelling. I have had two challenging fights and I've finished all of the first area of the game and the arena.

    2) Crafting plain busts the game wide open. Unfortunately this just seems to be the rule with games that allow you to craft your own stuff.

    3) While it has tons of quests, many of them are not much more involved than go to B, kill Y and then high five back in town. It has some good quests in there, but unless you're an obsessive completionist it becomes easy to miss these as many players might stop trying to do everything. Personally, the fun combat system means I happily do everything that I can, but I wish that point 1) wasn't so prominent because I am just making the game even easier by doing this (as I get tons of XP and other stuff).

    I will write a lot more about what I thought after I finish the game, because some of my points might change (I so doubt it). Incidentally, I was one of the sources for the 200+ hour gameplay comment, because that is what one of the developers said to me back in November. Now I'm not sure I believe that myself, because I expected quests to be a lot more dense than they actually are based on that. Right now, I am pretty sure I will have done everything possible by about 80-100 hours as later zones get smaller than the first area (which took me around 35ish hours or so). I am unsure if the context of this required getting all secret doors, all lorestones, all chests and whatever else is in the game - but even so that wouldn't get to 200 hours. The point is that this isn't particularly relevant and the game is still incredibly bloody long no matter what way you cut it. I am not going to hold them to an off hand remark that doesn't impact the value or fun I have had from this game any way.

    Regardless if I finish the game having done everything I wanted at 80-100 hours or so, I don't really think that will bother me because I've really enjoyed the game immensely and I think it's great. I am really looking forward to DLC, which I hope addresses (hopefully) some of my issues, like point 1 in particular. It's also the sort of platform that if they make a sequel, is just going to be amazing if done right (AC -> AC2 sort of level, considering that KoA is a great game as is, I'm excited). Even so, I am going to continue enjoying this game immensely and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.

    Really, I would rather them make their DLC 20 hours instead of 40, but have 20 hours of really focused quests with interesting results (like Water of Madness quest, or the final decision of the House of Ballads) and really intense combat. Honestly, they have a wonderful combat system and I don't feel that KoA actually makes the best use of it. It's still immensely fun - do not get me wrong, I don't play a game for this long anymore if I don't enjoy the thing in the first place - but I am not feeling like the enemy design keeps pace properly with the way the player character develops. It's especially prominent because KoA shows you most of the enemies within the first 20-30 hours of gameplay, then there isn't a lot of variety after that.

    At the same time, that might change so like with Skyrim I'm not going to say anything final until I finish it (sigh, my 91 hour skyrim save, I still miss you :( I shall come back to that game soon) but I have a feeling some of my complaints aren't going to change at all (one will get worse I bet).

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Dashui wrote:
    I just wish the game was harder, be it enemies blocking (which would make certain abilities like Lunge or charged attacks more useful) or more level scaling. I also wouldn't mind armor dyes and perhaps an online PvP mode to battle your friends.

    I'm doing Hard mode, and it's okay. I think it's a good Hard mode, like I said in the video, but there needs to be a "Nightmare" or "Insanity" mode. This feels like a good Hard, but it also feels like there should be something tougher available. Having said that, I just finished the House of Ballads quest chain, and that last fight was an absolute bitch. Even with Reckoning active, there are just so many tough enemies. I ended up having to clear out the vast majority of the sprites and shit unbuffed, so I could save Reckoning for when that Thresh gets summoned in, because goddamn, Threshes can take hits.

  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I think a new difficulty needs to do the following:

    1) Potion cooldown. So you can't just spam buff and similar potions to just murder any fight that might be difficulty. This would also put much more emphasis on not being hit and actually blocking damage.

    2) Enemies absolutely MUST gain more abilities, like the scatter arrow (so you can't easily dodge them anymore). Right now, they are too predictable and limited.

    3) I think on higher difficulties the level scaling needs to favor higher numbers instead of scaling directly to your level. So your level +2 or +3 for harder enemies.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    milk ducks wrote:
    Dashui wrote:
    I just wish the game was harder, be it enemies blocking (which would make certain abilities like Lunge or charged attacks more useful) or more level scaling. I also wouldn't mind armor dyes and perhaps an online PvP mode to battle your friends.

    I'm doing Hard mode, and it's okay. I think it's a good Hard mode, like I said in the video, but there needs to be a "Nightmare" or "Insanity" mode. This feels like a good Hard, but it also feels like there should be something tougher available. Having said that, I just finished the House of Ballads quest chain, and that last fight was an absolute bitch. Even with Reckoning active, there are just so many tough enemies. I ended up having to clear out the vast majority of the sprites and shit unbuffed, so I could save Reckoning for when that Thresh gets summoned in, because goddamn, Threshes can take hits.

    Why not just kill the Boss with reckoning? that way you only have to deal with a few sprites. I popped a shitload of pots, activated reckoning, daggered the boss into the dialogue instantly. The boss had a sliver of health left so I just went pokey and won. I haven't met anything in the game that could stand up to Reckoning, I've met plenty that could kill me without it.

    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I hate to say this, but I haven't even used reckoning in several hours of gameplay. Scatterbow and smoke bombs are just so ridiculous, I don't even remember to turn it on to kill bosses before they die.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote:
    I hate to say this, but I haven't even used reckoning in several hours of gameplay. Scatterbow and smoke bombs are just so ridiculous, I don't even remember to turn it on to kill bosses before they die.

    I've met humanoid bosses that were immune to Smoke Bomb and assassination. Imagine my suprise when I throw down a Smokebomb and then the boss calmly beats my invisible face in :P

    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    That's okay, for them there is doing 1000+ damage x 7 with scatterbow. I called it a fantasy shotgun before, but I believe this to be in error: It's actually a fantasy howitzer.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    Man, I am digging this game hard! I know 3 other people playing this right now and we are all doing different builds. Wasn't planned, just happened that way. When I get home and need to decompress, this game is where it's at. The combat reminds me a lot of God of War in that, yeah, I could beat everyone by mashing one button, but it doesn't look as cool or feel as satisfying as switching up the weapons and making sick ass combos.

    I've just gotten to the point where the Demo and Shephard gear isn't better then what I'm picking up, so now I have to add loot whoring to this and I love it! Great game thus far!

  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Oh my god, the Meteor spell.

    The Meteor spell, Oh my god.

  • SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    Haven't seen this posted yet, but the stats for the omniblade daggers unlocked by the ME3 demo are below:

    omniblades.png


    Basically, don't bother.

    steam_sig.png
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Unless you want to run around and pretend Shepard doesn't know how to use anything else.

    Edit; Must use Shepard armor.

    joshgotro on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Slimcea wrote:
    Haven't seen this posted yet, but the stats for the omniblade daggers unlocked by the ME3 demo are below:

    omniblades.png


    Basically, don't bother.

    Oh lol. You'd think they'd have made em cool, since by the time the ME3 demo came out most folks had been playing KoA for a week already.

    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I'll use them first thing when I start my Finesse guy. For like, 10 minutes it seems.

  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Check out this badass mage!
    tQ5Gs.jpg

    Also, look how positively distressed my staff looks...
    JgAol.jpg

    Finished up the main questline a couple days ago, it was really really good! I will say though, for all the trouble a single gray Thresh can still give my level 35 mage, the final boss was super easy. Just need to finish up finding all the Lorestones and level up to 36 so I can get the cheevo for unlocking the final mage destiny. Where's a good place to grind? I'm assuming Alabastra somewhere.

    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
Sign In or Register to comment.