Options

[Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning] DLC on March 20th! Info in OP.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Regarding a sequel; has one actually been announced? Other than the MMO I mean.

Yes. They'll be making another single-player Amalur RPG.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Huh. OK. Well, no complaints I guess.

Makes me wonder how sales of Reckoning have actually been. I was under the impression that they were decent but not mind blowing. I wasn't sure it'd warrant a sequel on top of a MMO that's in development.

Though I'll be totally honest and say they're gonna have to work hard to make the story worth caring about. One of the main interesting aspects of Reckoning
    that being Fate
    is effectively gone at the end, so a sequel would have to find something else to focus on. I mean, the Fae were interesting and all, but not enough so that they could carry a sequel.

I was impressed enough with Reckoning though to reserve judgement. They've got my attention.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Huh. OK. Well, no complaints I guess.

Makes me wonder how sales of Reckoning have actually been. I was under the impression that they were decent but not mind blowing. I wasn't sure it'd warrant a sequel on top of a MMO that's in development.

Though I'll be totally honest and say they're gonna have to work hard to make the story worth caring about. One of the main interesting aspects of Reckoning
    that being Fate
    is effectively gone at the end, so a sequel would have to find something else to focus on. I mean, the Fae were interesting and all, but not enough so that they could carry a sequel.

I was impressed enough with Reckoning though to reserve judgement. They've got my attention.

Yay, we can agree in this thread :)

Considering the Fae basically carried this game for me anyway, I'm hoping they can carry a sequel.

• Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    They really need to hire a new writing team for the sequels. The game's pretty boss except for the plotline / immersion. Fix that, and you'll have an RPG that should stand the test of time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I feel pretty confident that KoA is already an RPG that will stand the test of time.

IMO, of course

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I feel pretty confident that KoA is already an RPG that will stand the test of time.

IMO, of course

Yep, more so than Fable I believe.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote: »
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Hmm, 38 isn't messing around with the DLC. Two very substantial DLC's within six months of launch.

Take note devs.

The main thing I bet they did was create an engine which had lots of easy 'hooks' for DLC to be attached onto without causing any other bugs which means all they need to do is create the areas, populate them with quests and mobs and record some lines and the DLC is good to go. Other developers I'm sure don't do this so thoroughly and so their DLC causes bugs and takes way longer to make.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Hmm, 38 isn't messing around with the DLC. Two very substantial DLC's within six months of launch.

Take note devs.

The main thing I bet they did was create an engine which had lots of easy 'hooks' for DLC to be attached onto without causing any other bugs which means all they need to do is create the areas, populate them with quests and mobs and record some lines and the DLC is good to go. Other developers I'm sure don't do this so thoroughly and so their DLC causes bugs and takes way longer to make.
    Look at the note you just added to my nite about taking notes.

Joking aside I wish everyone(developers) took amazing ides from each other more

• Options
    tbloxham wrote: »

Take note devs.

Look at the note you just added to my nite about taking notes.

Joking aside I wish everyone(developers) took amazing ides from each other more

? I'm a little confused. I really do think that that is why they can get the DLC out so fast.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    He meant to say his note about taking notes, but he said nite. It's in reference to a post he made earlier about devs taking notes.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    This is all becoming a little metaphysical

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    It's a little known fact that I am not an actual person, I am actually a symbiotic organism attached to joshgotro's brain stem. You'll notice our posts are always separate from each other by some time frame, because after he's done posting as himself, I use my symbiotically procured control of his brain to have him post things for me.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »

IMO, of course

Yep, more so than Fable I believe.

Speaking of Fable, I think that one of the things I would want most in a sequel to KoA is to make the world a bit more interactive. Fable is a good example of this, as it had some really great ideas when it came to owning property, making friends, and all that. Then Peter Molyneux went batshit insane and decided that what people really want are games that basically play themselves and where 'pattycake' is a normal and accepted form of adult human interaction.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I happened to be in Gamestop, and I noticed they were selling this for $40.

But I want it on a big list...

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    It's a little known fact that I am not an actual person, I am actually a symbiotic organism attached to joshgotro's brain stem. You'll notice our posts are always separate from each other by some time frame, because after he's done posting as himself, I use my symbiotically procured control of his brain to have him post things for me.

You forgot to rave about the toaster function.

My iphone for some reason auto corrected note to nite. TECHNOLOGY!

• Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    I was very happy with the Dead Kel DLC, and from the looks of things, I'll be happy with the next one as well.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    Booted up Amalur last night, noticed in the bottom corner of the main menu "Teeth of Naros DLC"
    pooped my pants in excitment
    finished reading "Coming soon!". Dang...

Still haven't been able to wrangle a full Azurite armor set... got a helm, curiass and greaves. I keep finding plain jane gauntlets, but I never get the mitts from them when I break them down! Haven't seen one pair of chausses yet. I've finished some side quests, the Warsworn line and House of Ballads, so I'm way over leveled for Webwood. In protest, I am doing the Webwood quests pantsless! If the game wants me to cover up my bottom, it needs to toss me some Azurite pants.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I'm waiting for all the dlc to be released, then I buy them all and finish the game

I never finished it after going all hardcore mode with my 2-hander might finesse dude

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    Booted up Amalur last night, noticed in the bottom corner of the main menu "Teeth of Naros DLC"
    pooped my pants in excitment
    finished reading "Coming soon!". Dang...

Still haven't been able to wrangle a full Azurite armor set... got a helm, curiass and greaves. I keep finding plain jane gauntlets, but I never get the mitts from them when I break them down! Haven't seen one pair of chausses yet. I've finished some side quests, the Warsworn line and House of Ballads, so I'm way over leveled for Webwood. In protest, I am doing the Webwood quests pantsless! If the game wants me to cover up my bottom, it needs to toss me some Azurite pants.

Your soiling speed is incredible, sir.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So I'm finishing up the Dead Kel DLC and
    during the escape from the crumbling ruins or whatever, twice in a row now I've gotten out only to turn and see Brattigan standing there like an idiot while all the rocks in the world fall down on top of her - and then the quest marker points up where she is presumably still standing, buried under tons of rock, and I can't do anything at all to get out of the little beach you get stranded on. I've done this twice now with the same result. What the hell.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    So I'm finishing up the Dead Kel DLC and
    during the escape from the crumbling ruins or whatever, twice in a row now I've gotten out only to turn and see Brattigan standing there like an idiot while all the rocks in the world fall down on top of her - and then the quest marker points up where she is presumably still standing, buried under tons of rock, and I can't do anything at all to get out of the little beach you get stranded on. I've done this twice now with the same result. What the hell.

I had that happen too. Mainly because I took off sprinting and she was all "lol imma fight these guys"

She warped to me though after I took a few steps away from the ruins.

• Options
    She's not warping for me, though.

I'll try again later today. At least the boss fight before hand isn't difficult...

• Options
    Nope, it's still bugged. In fact, during the whole mission she never did anything, just stood around like a dolt, occasionally teleporting closer to me.

Which is great, because I don't have any saves before this mission, except one before I even went to the fucking island.

• Options

• Options
    Oh wow, the DLC drops next Tuesday?

Nice!

• Options
    am0nam0n Registered User regular
    So, I read a few reviews where they mention that the AI/targeting in the game leaves a lot to be desired. Has anyone here found that to be true, or is it highly possible the reviewers I read were blowing steam? I'm thinking about giving the game a shot, but there was a lot of mention of monsters just standing there while you killed them and projectiles hitting imaginary walls. And a crafting system that trivializes content. All of which would make it difficult for me to enjoy the game. If this is false, that'd be good to know, but if there is some truth to these issues I'd like to know before I drop some dollars.

• Options
    Monsters definitely do not just stand there and let you wail on them. It is possible to stun lock a few of them, but most of the time you're fighting a group anyways. I've never had spells or arrows hit some imaginary wall either.

The blacksmithing and Sagecrafting(making your own gems) skills can allow you to make some rediculously OP weapons and armor, but you don't have to use those skills if you don't want things to be too easy. Well, too too easy any ways. The game isn't terribly difficult even on hard, but that doesn't make it uninjoyable. Go for it, its awesome! There's even already a substantial DLC add-on, and another one drops tomorrow.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I'm getting close to beating the main game, just wanted to check...the DLC is level appropriate for beating the game right? Just wanna make sure the items and xp i get is not going to be crap if i get it.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Well you have to be level 10+ to even do it, but my understanding is that unique items will level themselves appropriately when you acquire them?

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    am0n wrote: »
    So, I read a few reviews where they mention that the AI/targeting in the game leaves a lot to be desired. Has anyone here found that to be true, or is it highly possible the reviewers I read were blowing steam? I'm thinking about giving the game a shot, but there was a lot of mention of monsters just standing there while you killed them and projectiles hitting imaginary walls. And a crafting system that trivializes content. All of which would make it difficult for me to enjoy the game. If this is false, that'd be good to know, but if there is some truth to these issues I'd like to know before I drop some dollars.

I had trouble with targeting occasionally, but I mostly had a handle on it. Occasionally a lightning bolt would shoot in an odd direction when I didn't get a good autotarget or something.

Never ran into those bugs.

Crafting can trivialize, but it's also easy to ignore.

Try the demo!

• Options
    A few questions:

Can you craft repair kits?
    Trainer skills say 0-3, for instance. Does this mean if I am at 3 in a skill I can still use that trainer to get to 4?
    Is travel gated, or could I for instance, once I get enough money, just go to whatever town has the next trainer skill I want and purchase it?

• Options
    Can't craft repair kits

NOt sure on the trainers. If it says 0-3 though, that trainer will probably not get you past 3.

Nah, you can go almost anywhere you want at anytime. Monsters might kill you in one hit, but you're free to roam if you choose.

• Options
    A few questions:

Trainer skills say 0-3, for instance. Does this mean if I am at 3 in a skill I can still use that trainer to get to 4?
    Is travel gated, or could I for instance, once I get enough money, just go to whatever town has the next trainer skill I want and purchase it?

It's the requirement to be trained, so you can use it to go to 4.

• Options
    gjaustin wrote: »
    A few questions:

It's the requirement to be trained, so you can use it to go to 4.

Thanks Skull and gjaustin.

• Options
    New DLC should be live, btw. At least for the 360/PC. PS3 might be a bit later today. $10.

• Options
    TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    A few questions:

The only problem with traveling is that zones level lock if I am not mistaken. Meaning if you enter a zone at 5 and the zone level is 10-20 that zone will lock at level 10 even if you quest in it later at level 20. If I am not mistaken, this is one of the major problems people have with the game, over-levelling is far to easy to do. Even by accident.

Tulabelle on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Tulabelle wrote: »
    A few questions:

The only problem with traveling is that zones level lock if I am not mistaken. Meaning if you enter a zone at 5 and the zone level is 10-20 that zone will lock at level 10 even if you quest in it later at level 20. If I am not mistaken, this is one of the major problems people have with the game, over-levelling is far to easy to do. Even by accident.

Hmm... that would suck. I just want to be able to go to different towns and buy the skills I want as I get the cash. But I am on Hard, so I am hoping it remains a challenge. =/ Is it possible to just enter a specific zone, like a city, without walking through any other zones to get there? (at work, and only made it maybe an hour in, so I'm not sure how traveling works yet)

am0n on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    A few questions:

Hmm... that would suck. I just want to be able to go to different towns and buy the skills I want as I get the cash. But I am on Hard, so I am hoping it remains a challenge. =/ Is it possible to just enter a specific zone, like a city, without walking through any other zones to get there? (at work, and only made it maybe an hour in, so I'm not sure how traveling works yet)

Not really, you have to walk there. You could avoid some zones, but not all of them.

What I did was wait until I had gotten there 'naturally', then I bought a respec, fast-traveled to all the low level trainers, and bought their trainings before I re-spent my points.

• Options
    captaink wrote: »
    A few questions:

Not really, you have to walk there. You could avoid some zones, but not all of them.

What I did was wait until I had gotten there 'naturally', then I bought a respec, fast-traveled to all the low level trainers, and bought their trainings before I re-spent my points.

That might be what I do. Just pump up my points where I want them until I can get there to respec, do it once and then go from there. Thanks for the heads up. Found a map with all the level ranges, so plan to try and make some of the max. zones stay max., unless it gets too grindy to be fun. Would have been nice if they removed the lock idea and just made it so that if you leave a zone/dungeon and come back, the level range adjusts (so if you are under or over the range it caps it, but inside it would be dynamic).

• Options
    captaink wrote: »
    A few questions:

This is the only way to play the game really, do NOT go to loads of zones early. Once you get to a zone, finish it. Otherwise everything will be grey and you will be sad.