As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning] DLC on March 20th! Info in OP.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I do enjoy how easy the respeccing is though. I've jumped between Mage/Rogue/Sword+board probably 10 times in the first couple of areas, just trying different builds. So far I think dual dagger rogue with the teleport strike is my fav.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I'm glad I waited until the price dropped on this game before I went out and bought it, but I honestly think I didn't wait long enough, only getting it at a 50% discount.

The combat was good, but I played it right after TERA, which is an MMO with fantastic combat that is in some ways similar (and superior) to this. The generic storyline really made me feel like I was playing an MMO, only with no other players, and that didn't endear it to me either.

I still want to go back and actually play it though, as I didn't get very far and it's possible that things get better.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    So is anybody aware of a balance mod or anything? I loved this game but it got really easy way too quickly.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I was actually playing this just recently. I played up through Mel Senshir, but put the game down after that. I got back into it in a big way, and now I've got all of the original achievements. I just have the DLC left to complete.

It has its flaws, but it's such a fun game. Brutally fateshifting fae never gets old.

• Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    I really enjoyed this one - it may not have been the most polished of experiences, but it had a meaty chunk of game play and allowed the PC a satisfying amount of power.

• JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Man, I liked this but got really bored partway through. The combat gets so easy and the story is so eh and the world is so...plastic and fake somehow.

It's like they took the bones of three good games and combined them in all the wrong ways to make one mediocre one somehow. I don't know. I should go and finish it, I guess.

JihadJesus on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Man.

This game.

Criminally under-appreciated.

It had its faults, most of which could have been easily solved with a good sequel.

But alas...:(

I would happily pay full-price for any spin-off game that features the House of Ballads.

Those guys are straight up baller.

GnomeTank wrote: »
    I still fire it up every so often just for the combat. The story is woefully generic, but the combat is neat, and the world is pretty in it's own way.

I totally agree about the combat, man. It just feels so nice. Here's a clip of me completing a dungeon a bit later in the game. Every time I watch this, I'm like, blown away by just how genuinely good it felt to ping-pong off of enemies with the faeblades like that. I didn't have a whole hell of a lot of experience with Might or Sorcery, but my full Finesse build was absolutely off the chain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0ZJJ9ViCYE

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Man.

This game.

It had its faults, most of which could have been easily solved with a good sequel.

I would happily pay full-price for any spin-off game that features the House of Ballads.

Insane more like. They traipse through the exact same story over and over again, never changing a thing, never even considering that perhaps they could try having a different life this time around. No, instead they go through motions they've gone through a thousand times already.

The only sane fae in that bunch was the Maid of Windemere.

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I still fire it up every so often just for the combat. The story is woefully generic, but the combat is neat, and the world is pretty in it's own way.

I totally agree about the combat, man. It just feels so nice. Here's a clip of me completing a dungeon a bit later in the game. Every time I watch this, I'm like, blown away by just how genuinely good it felt to ping-pong off of enemies with the faeblades like that. I didn't have a whole hell of a lot of experience with Might or Sorcery, but my full Finesse build was absolutely off the chain.

As someone who hasn't played the game, it looks ridiculously over the top.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Such a sad tale. This game. Horrendously under appreciated and its only real flaw is that your character can become so fucking awesome, that eventually the enemies just can't keep up or compare.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    EA will probably buy the rights to this. Hopefully, the series will not die. One silly thing I could see happening is Rhode Island trying to sell it for a ridiculous price.

Krathoon on
  • McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    Man.

This game.

Insane more like. They traipse through the exact same story over and over again, never changing a thing, never even considering that perhaps they could try having a different life this time around. No, instead they go through motions they've gone through a thousand times already.

I thought the fae were bound to those stories by fate just as much as anyone. The difference being that they embraced it.
    Viskod wrote: »
    Such a sad tale. This game. Horrendously under appreciated and its only real flaw is that your character can become so fucking awesome, that eventually the enemies just can't keep up or compare.

Oh, I'd say it had more flaws than that. But it was a pretty promising "first game" from a studio.

edited March 2013

We could talk about the House of Ballads all day, man. To be totally honest, I'm like, the only person I know who sided with them. I saw no other choice, though. The Song of Sir Sagrell tells us that our hero will be tempted and tested by the Maid, but that he will ultimately overcome her. Now, I understand, and am sympathetic toward, the perspective of the Maid of Windemere, but I just couldn't throw in my lot with her, in the end; the story says she is overcome, and so that's what happened. Our character isn't bound to the story in the way that previous Sagrells were, but our character is in a position to determine his or her own fate ... and if I have that power, I will not use it to destroy the legends of the Summer Fae. No way, man. If I have that power, I will use it to make sure their stories come true -- so that they can have real faith in the virtues that the Ballads represent.

milk ducks on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Only problem I had with this game was the fact that you overlevel really fast, making the last half of the game too easy.

I should play this again.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I'm playing on normal and got through the Tower, just reached the first village. Almost died on that troll in the Tower. And then the freaking wolves started troubling me. It's not difficult though since you're given ample room to use potions and able to dodge/block pretty easily.

Enjoying it so far. Going for the mage cards first time through.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Just reinstalled because of this thread popping back up. Said to myself "I won't use chakrams and faeblades this time!"

And then I got some chakrams and faeblades and remembered how much fun they are. So I'm using chakrams and faeblades this time.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    Daggers and bow for life.

Capture.jpg~original
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I... I sided with the House of Ballads.

Also I ran with Chakrams and... greatswords, I think. Or was it hammers? One of the fuckhuge weapons.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    On my sorcery character, I used staves and chakrams, eventually switching to a half-finesse, with daggers and staves. I also had a lot of fun with a might character, using longswords and hammers.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Chakrams/staves. Chakrams were great fun, more games need to have them.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    I used greatswords and two handed hammers, cos, well.

Morninglord SMASH

I did occasionally swap one of the two handed weapons out for a chakram because they're such unique weapons. Really great for dealing with certain annoying enemies.

For the most part though? Smash.

I never finished the game because it got too boring near the end. A shame but I got a lot out of it. I'll go back and finish it one day.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    Faeblades/daggers and the bow. Daggers were pretty much instant death for a single opponent once stunlock got going and faeblades for crowd control. The bow was for annoying critters like sprites and trolls.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I played through entirely in Might.

Someday I'll go back through Magic, not sure stealth is for me.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is this game available on PC or was it console only? (I don't have Origin so I have no idea what games are on there.)

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Is this game available on PC or was it console only? (I don't have Origin so I have no idea what games are on there.)

It's on PC too, not even Origin exclusive.

• RavelleRavelle Registered User regular
    The game's 50 bucks on steam, did they increase the price? Because I'm pretty sure I got it way cheaper when it was fairly new.

D083uBC.jpg
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    It's only expensive on Steam, it's $30 everywhere else.

Too bad it's still so buggy. It took me several tries to get through the tutorial because I couldn't complete the finishing move against the troll at the end.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Buggy? Really? I've played the bejeepers out of this game and I don't remember ever having any bug issues. Have I just been unusually lucky?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular

We could talk about the House of Ballads all day, man. To be totally honest, I'm like, the only person I know who sided with them. I saw no other choice, though. The Song of Sir Sagrell tells us that our hero will be tempted and tested by the Maid, but that he will ultimately overcome her. Now, I understand, and am sympathetic toward, the perspective of the Maid of Windemere, but I just couldn't throw in my lot with her, in the end; the story says she is overcome, and so that's what happened. Our character isn't bound to the story in the way that previous Sagrells were, but our character is in a position to determine his or her own fate ... and if I have that power, I will not use it to destroy the legends of the Summer Fae. No way, man. If I have that power, I will use it to make sure their stories come true -- so that they can have real faith in the virtues that the Ballads represent.

But the whole reason you get to be Sir Sagrell is because the last guy who used the name fucking died during his big story. There really isn't anything inherently special about the ballads other than that they actually happened once. The repetition is just them being immortal and cray cray. Hell, King Wencen just kinda says 'fuck it' and runs away at the end there.

edited March 2013
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    But the whole reason you get to be Sir Sagrell is because the last guy who used the name fucking died during his big story. There really isn't anything inherently special about the ballads other than that they actually happened once. The repetition is just them being immortal and cray cray. Hell, King Wencen just kinda says 'fuck it' and runs away at the end there.

Imagine what it must have been like, though, for these characters who had previously been empowered by Fate itself to defeat their enemies; because of the main character's very presence, the magical Songs that have sustained and protected the House of Ballads for generations beyond counting have begun to unravel. All of the sudden, everyone's dying. Those terrifying dark creatures and villains that the Summer Fae sing of in cautionary tales to their children have begun to make great strides unlike never, ever before. All at once, the Knights of the House of Ballads are expected to find real courage, and live up to the legendary heroes they were each named after.

Not everyone succeeds in that task; some of them turn away, throw down their cloaks, and submit.

Other stand, defiant to the end, and are utterly destroyed.

But not Sir Sagrell. The Song of Sir Sagrell says that he will be tempted by the Maid of Windemere, but that he will defy her. While others fail to live up to the names they have been given, my character chose instead to give new meaning to the Song.

So, what do you choose to do? Side with the Maid, freeing everyone involved from the hands that Fate have dealt them while in the process destroying the House of Ballads and bringing shame upon the names of countless Summer Fae heroes? Or do you choose to follow the Song, standing defiant against the Maid, just as Sir Sagrell once did? In doing so, you are able to bring new meaning to the Ballads. For the first time in countless generations, a Song is fulfilled not by Fate, but by courage and heart and determination.

I understand why people side with the Maid, but I don't think I could ever do that.

milk ducks on
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote: »

Imagine what it must have been like, though, for these characters who had previously been empowered by Fate itself to defeat their enemies; because of the main character's very presence, the magical Songs that have sustained and protected the House of Ballads for generations beyond counting have begun to unravel. All of the sudden, everyone's dying. Those terrifying dark creatures and villains that the Summer Fae sing of in cautionary tales to their children have begun to make great strides unlike never, ever before. All at once, the Knights of the House of Ballads are expected to find real courage, and live up to the legendary heroes they were each named after.

Not everyone succeeds in that task; some of them turn away, throw down their cloaks, and submit.

Other stand, defiant to the end, and are utterly destroyed.

But not Sir Sagrell. The Song of Sir Sagrell says that he will be tempted by the Maid of Windemere, but that he will defy her. While others fail to live up to the names they have been given, my character chose instead to give new meaning to the Song.

So, what do you choose to do? Side with the Maid, freeing everyone involved from the hands that Fate have dealt them while in the process destroying the House of Ballads and bringing shame upon the names of countless Summer Fae heroes? Or do you choose to follow the Song, standing defiant against the Maid, just as Sir Sagrell once did? In doing so, you are able to bring new meaning to the Ballads. For the first time in countless generations, a Song is fulfilled not by Fate, but by courage and heart and determination.

I understand why people side with the Maid, but I don't think I could ever do that.

Uh, methinks you might have over-romanticized the House of Ballads a tad. It's literally the product of some immortals' existential crisis. They don't act out the past as any sort of grand gesture or or homage or anything, they do it because they have no fucking idea what they could do otherwise. The concept of change is utterly terrifying to them, so they keep dancing the same dance. And what kicks off the change has nothing to do with your character, but the Maid of Windemere saying 'I don't want to play this game anymore' and going off script. The only magic involved with the ballads is how they were recorded, the rest of it is pageantry designed to imitate life. Windemere at least wanted to actually apply her will to the world at large instead of living in a self imposed prison, write some new songs instead of replaying the same old shit.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The greatest travesty of this game is when they were shut down, they had been working on a patch to improve the difficulty of the game - which was one of the most common complaints. They didn't get time to finish it.

:(

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Luchaire wrote: »
    Buggy? Really? I've played the bejeepers out of this game and I don't remember ever having any bug issues. Have I just been unusually lucky?

Which version do you have? I have the PC version and it has lots of bugs. It doesn't even work well with the XBox 360 controller.

Which version do you have? I have the PC version and it has lots of bugs. It doesn't even work well with the XBox 360 controller.

I ran into 1 bug total on the PC: I locked myself out of a quest by exiting a once-off area before talking to the NPCs.

Capture.jpg~original
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Hmm. I thought the PC version was fine, but I did not play that far.

That is strange. I'm experiencing quite a few bugs with this game, especially if I try to use the XBox controller.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

PC. And I play it with the 360 controller.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    I really need to finish this game up. I got caught up in Omega when it was released for ME3, then kinda just played other stuff on my backlog. I'm almost done, about to get on the final continent.

As for the House of Ballads. I sided with the Maid. I wasn't even going to do that until I was about ready to fight her and the King pussed out. It was only then when I saw their true colors. The House of Ballads wasn't full of heroes, but cowards. They would only fight the Maid when they were guaranteed to win. Once there was even a slight risk of them losing, they weren't to risk their lives. The HoB is a farse. Fake knights and fake valor.

The Maid may have been many things, but she at least had the courage to challenge Fate, even if she could truely die.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    this game would have been much better if they ditched like 75% of the pointless side stuff and focused in on making the side stuff left actually interesting. you already get overpowered really fast, theres no need to have all these hundreds of "i need 10 bear teeth!" style sidequests cluttering up everything. its a shame too because like the house quests and such were actually really cool. that said i still got the plat and played it for like 80 hrs and greatly enjoyed it.