As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning] DLC on March 20th! Info in OP.

• milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    And what kicks off the change has nothing to do with your character, but the Maid of Windemere saying 'I don't want to play this game anymore' and going off script. The only magic involved with the ballads is how they were recorded, the rest of it is pageantry designed to imitate life. Windemere at least wanted to actually apply her will to the world at large instead of living in a self imposed prison, write some new songs instead of replaying the same old shit.

Windemere doesn't kick things off, dude, the Fateless One does. He is a person that exists outside of Fate, so where ever he travels, the strands of destiny begin to unravel. Any time he interacts with someone else, he's writing his own story while un-writing (or re-writing) theirs. That's the premise of the whole plot, man, and the concept applies to the House of Ballads quest as much as it applies to every other.

As soon as the Fateless One appears in the Kingdoms, the Songs start to lose their magic, and people start dying. But Windemere? She never skips a beat, and takes advantage of the situation in the cruelest way possible. She may go on and on about how she doesn't want to be bound by Fate any longer, but even when she's afforded this unique opportunity to apply her will to the Kingdoms, she chooses to become the greatest threat that the House of Ballads has ever known. Which is exactly what she is in the Song.

Windemere doesn't go off script at all, man; she adapts to it.

If she can adapt, then so can Sir Sagrell.

Don't get me wrong, like, I'm not saying your decision to side with the Maid was "incorrect" (I don't believe there are incorrect choices in games like this, only differing matters of preference); I'm just trying to explain why I sided with the Ballads. To be honest? Most people I know side with the Maid, and I've always thought that was strange because I feel so strongly about siding with the Ballads.

milk ducks on
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I honestly don't recall who I sided with in the House of Ballads. But the story there was awesome.

I also enjoyed the House of Sorrows, though it wasn't quite as awesome.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I think I sided with the House of Ballads, if just because I try to avoid "kill this entire town" solutions to quests. If there had been a third option that was like "hey maybe everyone should stop killing everyone and also everyone realize we don't need to spend the entirety of our immortal existence LARPing that would be great" I would have taken that.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I think I sided with the House of Ballads, if just because I try to avoid "kill this entire town" solutions to quests. If there had been a third option that was like "hey maybe everyone should stop killing everyone and also everyone realize we don't need to spend the entirety of our immortal existence LARPing that would be great" I would have taken that.

But.. that's pretty much what happens if you side with the maid. She just kinda takes the place over and says 'let's do like, something different, just for shits and giggles.' It's actually quite tame all things considered.

Ah...I thought siding with her meant basically making the House of Ballds a ghost town. If that's not the case, maybe I'll give it a go.

camo_sig2.png

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Is the time of this world supposed to be in a loop, you know, due to a set fate and all?

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I think the Fae are just dumb about it. They did new things in the past, but then decided to stop actually doing things and just repeat themselves. Even then they aren't completely bound, since they eventually pass on their roles to others. There never really was a loop, the Fae just structured their society to act like there was, which worked fine until the other races showed up.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Is the time of this world supposed to be in a loop, you know, due to a set fate and all?

For the Fae? Yeah, but it's not that they are in a loop, but just want to constantly repeat the past, over and over.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    It's not even all the fae, just the house of ballads. You meet plenty of fae doing things other than roleplaying their greatest hits.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The House of Ballads is just basically a theater group that plays for reals. The purpose of which to keep all of their history alive.

I'm actually disturbed by their decadence, but it was their cowardice that offended me.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    You guys are crazy. Cuh-raze-ee.

They're aren't pretending or playing anything, it's Fate that sings their Songs again and again; they're a part of that cycle the same as everyone else involved. The only difference between the Ballads and pretty much everyone else in the Kingdoms is that they recognize and acknowledge that fact.

My problem is that they only fought the Maid because they knew they would win, because Fate. Once they were no longer had a guarenteed victory, they pussed out.

They think they are so superior to humans and other non-immortals, yet when actually threatened with death, they show their true colors. If the House of Ballads really believed the Maid was so bad, they'd risk their lives to stop her. The fact that they don't, tells me that either the Maid isn't so bad -and she isn't really- or that they are not worthy of their position.

The Maid was just as vulnerable as the HoS, yet she was willing to risk her life for what she believed in. She's better than they are.

steam_sig.png

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Noticing it was far to easy doing every single quest on normal, decided to ramp it up on hard only doing main quests. I want to say im having fun with it as a finesse/sorcery build. Last I played I took down this giant one eyed beast wrecking a city. Not sure how much is left in the game.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    You guys are crazy. Cuh-raze-ee.

They're aren't pretending or playing anything, it's Fate that sings their Songs again and again; they're a part of that cycle the same as everyone else involved. The only difference between the Ballads and pretty much everyone else in the Kingdoms is that they recognize and acknowledge that fact.

Yes, this.

They're Fae. They're supposed to be somewhat incomprehensible.

• Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote: »
    Noticing it was far to easy doing every single quest on normal, decided to ramp it up on hard only doing main quests. I want to say im having fun with it as a finesse/sorcery build. Last I played I took down this giant one eyed beast wrecking a city. Not sure how much is left in the game.

Do take the time to do the House of Sorrows quest (which should be coming up in the next set of areas). I recall it having some good moments...

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    People talk about skipping the side quests but it seems like there are not very many of them. It seems like there are about 45 in the main game.

Is there a list of relevant quests anywhere?

Krathoon on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »
    People talk about skipping the side quests but it seems like there are not very many of them. It seems like there are about 45 in the main game.

Is there a list of relevant quests anywhere?

definitely do all the house quests, and do any sidequests that sound interesting to you. dont feel compelled to do every single side quest thats like "get me 15 spider vaginas" or whatever, because there are a shit ton of them and theyre not any more interesting than that.

• Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Only 6 more days till that sweet, sweet new DLC! :winky:

kyrcl.png
    Wait, what?

steam_sig.png

• KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    Take a look at the (very old) thread title. :P

MGRSig2.jpg
    heh

steam_sig.png

So I started a new game on this, since my old save file at the end of the game that had done everything but the DLC still suffered from a glitch where every two steps I'd take my character would freeze and lag. I reeeaaalllly hope that doesn't happen again.

But I forgot, which skills are best to try to max out first?

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Someone answer his question, I just got this myself and will just randomly pick magic sounding stuff without guidance. And if you can't respec it would be horrible! And we don't want that do we?

You can respec, just find any Fateweaver.

Though it's hard to mess up really. All three branches are fun.

steam_sig.png

Well I meant skills, not Abilities and I remember now that its Blacksmithing and Sagecraft first with Detect Hidden until you can open doors

Oh, I don't believe there is. The good news is that you get a lot of skills, plus there are skill trainers.

The one I maxed out first, was detect hidden. Up to you after that, imo.

steam_sig.png

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Resetting at a fateweaver resets both abilities and skills just FYI.

The only way to max out all the skills is being a jack of all trades, but it isn't necessary. If you track the skill books, you can get pretty damn close and more or less cap whatever you want. EDIT: Resetting your skills doesn't remove skills gained via skill books; so if you only need one skill to a certain point, but have it past via skill books and you reset, you can get it there again with less points and put them elsewhere.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Fateweavers reset your skills, too.

camo_sig2.png

Why is the camera the most dangerous enemy in this game? (also why can enemy mages float. i want to float!)

Also: thoughts on the DLC? That's not a crack about the thread title, I'm really curious. How is it?

camo_sig2.png

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Both DLCs are well done and lengthy. Definitely worth a purchase if you want more Reckoning content.

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    I played through this game last year and I had fun with it.

Tried a bit of everything and eventually settled into rogue/warrior with a two-hander.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Got this in the recent Xbox sale. Any tips for newbies?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Make sure to buy all of the backpacks.

If you care about achievements, you'll want to start on hard difficulty as there's an achievement for beating the game on hard. You might want to do that anyway since the combat is pretty easy. You'll also want to put a lot of points into persuasion since there's an achievement for completing 50 successful persuasion attempts. If you care about min-maxing, you'll want to buy all of the training possible, focusing on basic, then advanced, then master trainers.

Otherwise the game is pretty straightforward. Feel free to mess around with all of the weapon types and skill trees. The game gives you bonuses no matter how you choose to play.

• ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Thanks. I played the demo a long time ago but I hardly remember it.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Also, don't run around into new areas before you're done with the current area. Even taking a step into another zone will lock all the monsters at your current level and make them not give you good XP.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Also, don't run around into new areas before you're done with the current area. Even taking a step into another zone will lock all the monsters at your current level and make them not give you good XP.

In addition to that, be aware that you can very easily customize your gear to the point of breaking the game and killing what little challenge there is in it.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular

In addition to that, be aware that you can very easily customize your gear to the point of breaking the game and killing what little challenge there is in it.

That's half the fun of a game for me.. finding ways to just completely obliterate everything.

I prefer that to the "just progress through the game normally and it turns to easy mode" that most games are.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

That's half the fun of a game for me.. finding ways to just completely obliterate everything.

I prefer that to the "just progress through the game normally and it turns to easy mode" that most games are.

That is progressing through the game normally. Normal Blacksmithing ruins the challenge completely.

• EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    That is progressing through the game normally. Normal Blacksmithing ruins the challenge completely.

Eh, sorta. I mean you can just play it like a hack n slash without touching much of that and it has "some" challenge at parts. But it's certainly not a difficult game. I did enjoy it however. Wish they hadn't messed up the financial part so bad, I'd love to have seen a sequel.