As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning] DLC on March 20th! Info in OP.

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Honestly I wish they'd managed to stay open for like another month so they could fix the difficulty like they said they wanted to. It's a damn shame because it really was a nicely put together game except for the actual game bits. Even they were close...

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Sup?

EDIT: Alternately: "Hey. u up?"

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Ew, Microsoft store.

I am *very* onboard with this remaster though. It's tragic how overshadowed this game was by the development nightmare, I ran through it again just a few months ago and it completely held up.

It is kind of a bummer to think that Curt Schilling stands to even make a dime off this game going forward, though.

• AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Kasyn wrote: »
    Ew, Microsoft store.

I am *very* onboard with this remaster though. It's tragic how overshadowed this game was by the development nightmare, I ran through it again just a few months ago and it completely held up.

It is kind of a bummer to think that Curt Schilling stands to even make a dime off this game going forward, though.

He doesn't. Rhode Island got full control of it when his studio went bankrupt, then THQ Nordic bought it from them.

Aistan on
  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Kasyn wrote: »
    Ew, Microsoft store.

He doesn't. Rhode Island got full control of it when his studio went bankrupt, then THQ Nordic bought it from them.

Oh, nice. I knew both of those things but figured he'd still have royalties or something going on with it.

I only linked the microsoft store because it is where it was listed first (only?).

AFAIK it hasn't even officially been announced, and it could simply be the mirror Microsoft Store page of the XB1 crossplay stuff.

From the little I know about Nordic/THQ, they're not dumb enough to make it exclusive; unless something weird happened and Microsoft funded the remake. I expect the usual, PC/PS4/XB1. Switch and next gen is anyones guess. Whether it's Steam/Epic, also is anyones guess.

I really enjoyed Kingdoms, and while the reuse of tilesets and ultra generic sidequests got taxing by the end of the game, overall it was what would have been a quite good first entry in a potential series by a new studio, made by notable people. Alas, we all know what happened next.

Still, this company has done well by putting resources into IP's that (IMO anyway) were quite good but just weren't "AAA" enough for their publishers, so if this does well, it could mean the potential for more.

Plus, the blurb notes enhanced graphics and refined gameplay, so maybe they will fix some of its shortcomings.

All in all I just find it impressive that a game that by all accounts should have never seen the light of day again, gets another chance. How well it will do will probably be a pretty tight balancing act of its pricing vs idle curiosity vs the infamy surrounding its creation. Schilling can get bent to hell and back, but unless they're off their rockers and charge full price or something, I could definitely give it another go around.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    From the little I know about Nordic/THQ, they're not dumb enough to make it exclusive

Dumb enough to collaborate with 8chan, though.

reVerse wrote: »
    From the little I know about Nordic/THQ, they're not dumb enough to make it exclusive

Ooooh, yeah, I had forgotten about that.

I just had to look it up to refresh myself. Dude should have known better, and parent company should have apologized and condemned it way faster than they did. Has there been anything like it since?

• Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    Nice...

Kingdom of Amalur was so ahead of its time. Probably one of the first ESO-like big open world games with well done third person combat... Then 3-4 years later you get Shadow of war/mordor, witcher 3, assassins creed origins/oddessey, Breath of the wild, horizons zero dawn...

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

Ooooh, yeah, I had forgotten about that.

I just had to look it up to refresh myself. Dude should have known better, and parent company should have apologized and condemned it way faster than they did. Has there been anything like it since?

Not that I'm aware. Mostly, they just stayed quiet until everything blew over. And everything did blow over.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Oh man I guess I will buy this game for the 5th time or whatever. I could never fully get into it which is strange because it should be my jam.

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Oh man I guess I will buy this game for the 5th time or whatever. I could never fully get into it which is strange because it should be my jam.

Yeah, this will be the 4th time I've bought it.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Only a few days ago, I hooked my old 360 so that my 10 year old son and I could play through the Mass Effect series together. I was going through a bunch of my old games, and Kingdom of Amalur really stood out as a title I'd love to play again. Absolutely loved this game when it released. Nobody else I've ever met has actually played it, lol.

• lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    This thread makes me feel old. A bunch of regulars that aren't that active anymore.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Some of us are still here.

Though I am amused at folks who have gone inactive getting pings for a six year old thread and coming back.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    It really is a shame about the circumstances surrounding this property. The game was a good game with so much more in depth lore and world building that you'd expect for the first entry in a new potential franchise.

But that's also kind of what doomed it. They went all out on a brand new IP to the point where they didn't leave themselves any room for it to be anything less than a knockout success. If they'd scaled back a little and let word of mouth get out about it then they'd have had the money to plan for a more successful sequel.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Kingdoms of Amalur should have been a success story. Brand new IP from a brand new studio that got good reviews and very good sales for a new studio's new IP.

But it got so bloated and so horrifically mismanaged that, well, Rhode Island ended up owning it.

Maybe if this re-release actually ends up happening, the series might be reborn. There's some really cool stuff in there that could be expanded on. I can hope.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Reckoning itself was successful, but the developer was sunk by being tied to the horribly mismanaged Amalur MMO.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Darn you, Herpes Guy. You got my hopes up with this being an Xbox Play Anywhere title. :lol:

Well, I'm not buying it on Steam, especially since this looks like a prime candidate for Game Pass potentially. I really only know the game by reputation and wouldn't pass on a chance to try it out depending on how the re-release was handled.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular

Looks like PC/PS4/Xbox

$40 regular is fine.

Selling a collector's edition for this seems like an odd choice.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I assume they're banking on its "hit among its cult following" reputation being a prime target for a Collector's Edition. And they really need the cash.

• DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    "Re-Reckoning" is such a delightfully silly name that I'm astonished they're going with it.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    I hope they do a bit of re-balancing. I remember my biggest complaint was that I'd get to certain area's and be so overpowered it was boring as hell. It's been a long time, but they should be able to do a relatively easy fix by locking you to 1 of the 2 "paths" in the story. I was just doing every area and I got overpowered really quickly.

Otherwise, I loved the game. I remember trying Skyrim and hating the combat so much I stopped playing in a hour or so. This game had me hooked from the beginning. Even playing a mage was fun with the Chakram's.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    I hope they do a bit of re-balancing. I remember my biggest complaint was that I'd get to certain area's and be so overpowered it was boring as hell. It's been a long time, but they should be able to do a relatively easy fix by locking you to 1 of the 2 "paths" in the story. I was just doing every area and I got overpowered really quickly.

Otherwise, I loved the game. I remember trying Skyrim and hating the combat so much I stopped playing in a hour or so. This game had me hooked from the beginning. Even playing a mage was fun with the Chakram's.

IIRC the issue was zones were level locked to the level you first entered them. Which...uh, yeah. Was pretty easy by the second or third zone to make all the combat utterly trivial. If they changed just that decision and did nothing else I'd be pretty happy with this.

(Okay, I'd probably cringe at 2013 graphics now but they'll obviously fix up that.)

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    "Re-Reckoning" is such a delightfully silly name that I'm astonished they're going with it.

high hopes for the inevitable MGR Revengeance remake

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

It is staggeringly mediocre. Don't buy it for a fifth time if you couldn't get in to it the other 4 times.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    With regard to difficulty, and feeling overpowered in certain areas, try avoiding Blacksmithing altogether if you hadn't already. It's been a long time since I've played, but I recall not touching Blacksmithing until the very late-, maybe even post-game, and that the instant I had finished crafting my new equipment, the rest of the content was a complete joke.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    THQ said the leak of the game was an "oopsy daisy."

...no really, they did.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I think the part of this I'm most excited about, if any of it is true, is the rebalancing.

I still remember how bizarre it was when this came out. I have a vague recollection of EA giving it no advertising almost at all, and crowding it out with competing titles they were also publishing. A quick googling shows it came out a few weeks before Mass Effect 3.

I recall a lot of weirdly antagonistic reviews of Amalur when it came out too. Like game reviewers did that thing they sometimes do where they take out all their aggression on the game that wasn't protected by their website getting tons of advertising dollars. It was like their scapegoat for all the games they knew they probably shouldn't shit on, because they had bills to pay. Which a quick googling also validates as wikipedia says reviews were "polarized", with a wide disparity between positive and negative reviews.

Here's hoping this is THQ Nordic doing their usual thing where they train a team by having them remaster a game, and then immediately set them to work on sequels and/or expansions. It worked for Titan Quest and Dark Siders.

edited June 2020
    I am probably completely misremembering the quality of the graphics of the original, but I'm looking at these screenshots and thinking "where's the graphical upgrade?"

Though to be fair, after playing FFVIIR my memories of all the Midgar areas of the original are already replaced with the new visuals and dumb me is like "didn't it always look like this?" I'm doing the exact same thing with XC1DE, because brains are stupid.

$40 is...it's fine. I was hoping more like $30, but I get it. Kinda bummed there's no (announced) Switch version, but what can ya do?

EDIT: no indication as far as I can see of what service the PC version will be on. EDITEDIT: As an occasional purchaser of CE's, I've gotta say that's a pretty weak amount of stuff for an extra $70.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    It's a remaster, not a remake from what it sounds like. So I'm preparing for little to no improvements game play wise and just support for 4K. I'd love to be wrong and have the textures upgraded, a re-balancing of game play, and maybe adding some tougher content. Sadly this sounds like "hey we got this game on fire sale, let's re-package it on the cheap and see if we can make some $$ off it".

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    I still remember meeting the developers of this at an IGN event in Sydney. Lovely people and they were really excited to be making such a big ambitious game.

Edit: Ha! My description is in the OP of the thread still!

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

It is staggeringly mediocre. Don't buy it for a fifth time if you couldn't get in to it the other 4 times.

Hey whoa hey let's not say anything we can't take back. It's perfectly fine and I daresay it's good, if you don't get sucked into the side mission vortex.

Trajan45 wrote: »
    It's a remaster, not a remake from what it sounds like. So I'm preparing for little to no improvements game play wise and just support for 4K. I'd love to be wrong and have the textures upgraded, a re-balancing of game play, and maybe adding some tougher content. Sadly this sounds like "hey we got this game on fire sale, let's re-package it on the cheap and see if we can make some $$ off it".

Well, the page on the microsoft store specifically mentions enhanced graphics and refined gameplay in the new version.

Granted, incredibly vague, but maybe? Visually the images don't look much different. Better draw distance, probably higher res textures, and a more modern lighting system; but overall the general feel of the game seems almost identical. Which is fine! I thought the visuals where one of the things the game had most going for it.

I don't know what refined gameplay means, but hopefully at least fixing a few bugs and maybe at least some moderate rebalancing of skills and/or crafting? It has been awhile, but I do remember distinctly that it almost didn't matter what skills/class you chose because you could just make something with crafting that was insanely powerful, very early, and it rendered rewards for almost the entirety of the game pointless. Sooo....it'd be nice if that was solved. :lol:

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    The story was kind of generic, the Fae were actually interesting, and the combat was fun on a bun. I might pony up for this.

The fact that in 2012 someone decided that the next step for this game was to go full MMO is just insane.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It’s more correct that the MMO started first and the idea for this game came out of secondary workd building work.

It was always intended to be a MMO setting as Kurt wanted to make a WoW like game as he was obsessed with that.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    Yeah, the entire studio and background for the game is fairly unique.

You're talking about a game that came out in 2012. The studio was envisioned in 2005 and founded in 2006 -- the heart of the "We can build a WoW killer and get mega rich!" era. It was basically founded by celebrities, a kind of fantasy/MMO super group concept. Curt Schilling, a very rich and famous baseball player who was obsessed with Everquest, tapping his buddies R.A. Salvatore and Todd McFarlane to create a fantasy world for his big new blockbuster MMO. On paper it wasn't the worst attempt at a WoW killer; it was too early to know that a "WoW killer" was never going to materialize, and Schilling's name was great for getting lots of capital to make a Big Game and try to realize their idea. The problem was that Schilling is a jerk who has no idea how to run a game development studio, and making MMOs is very very hard. By all appearances they wasted tons of cash floundering to make an MMO, realized it wasn't going to happen, and scrambled to make a game they could release to try to pay some bills. They wound up with a solid game, a good game by many accounts, but not one that could make up for the tremendous amounts of debt they accrued being overly ambitious in the beginning.

steam_sig.png
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    The game's story wasn't fucking generic. It was actually kind of cool.

There's two factions of elves that eternally die and get reborn, and one side has gone nuts and is genocidin' the lands, including all the non-immortal common-folk. There are magic people in the world called Fateweavers who can view parts of anyone's fate, but everyone's fate just says 'killed by genocidal elves' so despair is a bit high for the future of the Faelands.

Then there's you, a recently deceased nobody resurrected by a gnome engineer and his Massive Green God Machine. Fateweavers can't pinpoint your future so you're considered kind of outside the realm of reality, and the linchpin for why you're the BIG IMPORTANT HERO.

Like I mean cliche elves and medieval and shit but the opening premise is cool.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    The game's story wasn't fucking generic. It was actually kind of cool.

There's two factions of elves that eternally die and get reborn, and one side has gone nuts and is genocidin' the lands, including all the non-immortal common-folk. There are magic people in the world called Fateweavers who can view parts of anyone's fate, but everyone's fate just says 'killed by genocidal elves' so despair is a bit high for the future of the Faelands.

Then there's you, a recently deceased nobody resurrected by a gnome engineer and his Massive Green God Machine. Fateweavers can't pinpoint your future so you're considered kind of outside the realm of reality, and the linchpin for why you're the BIG IMPORTANT HERO.

Like I mean cliche elves and medieval and shit but the opening premise is cool.

I have a vague recollection of there being a lot of conflation about whether the elves were literally immortal, or figuratively immortal because they kept inheriting the names of those that came before, and re-enacting their deeds. Which I thought was another fun twist on the "lost lived elves" trope.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    If you want a really entertaining video on full history of the game and the complete shitstorm that was 38 Studios, here ya go:

https://youtu.be/cOywJPI9uTU

Switch: 3947-4890-9293