As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning] DLC on March 20th! Info in OP.

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote:
    dalith14 wrote:
    First off I'm sorry high school was rough for you. Secondly I agree with what the others in this thread have stated. You turned this into a big deal yourself with your snarkyremarks and your attacks at others that have a few complaints.

He wasn't the first ran out of this thread by the rampant fanboyism and comments like this. Anyone who has come in here with an opinion not directly in line with the group think that KoA is some transcendent game, has been basically shouted down and told to get out. You can be all quasi-witty and make comments about peoples high school days and tell yourself we're all just geese, but the fact of the matter is that this thread has been toxic to anyone with an opinion the thread decides is out of line.

Definitely don't mention the terribad camera, or the ridiculous marketing hype, or how the quests quickly slide in to repetitive MMO tropes that are basically "chase the quest marker", or how the story's dark and gritty undertones don't at all match the high fantasy, over exposed, saccharin-dipped art, or how most of the non-HUD UI is not very good, not well thought out and a pain to navigate.

The sad part is, Figgy and I both think KoA is a good game, worth picking up at some point...we just refuse to subscribe to the zeitgeist that it's some transcendent game that is above all criticism. It's a slightly above board RPG, with big aspirations and a sometimes flawed execution. Doesn't mean 38 shouldn't be praised for thinking big, and doesn't mean you shouldn't buy and enjoy it...but it's not perfect, and people who point that out shouldn't be shouted down. PA has always been about getting the real story about a game. If all I wanted to read or see was praise, I'd go read the marketing material.

You clearly haven't read the thread. I'm one of the "fanboys" jumping on people about calling it WoW and I've complained about:

Origin being awful
    The game being too easy
    The camera being too close
    Origin being total shit
    Skill trees being too compact
    Low variety of destines
    Origin not being able to read from a DVD
    Reckoning Mode
    Lack of good random equipment

So, in summary, the people making the thread toxic are the people accusing the thread of being toxic. That and all those drive-by "This looks like WoW so it sucks" posts. Those aren't helpful either.

• VorpalVorpal Registered User regular
    I do think its important not to overabuse reckoning mode if you don't want the game to be too easy. (Basically I save it for bosses) I usually try to beat stuff without reckoning mode first - and I don't stress too much about getting the max xp bonus for reckoning, as I don't want to get too severely overlevelled.

I think I'm level..9? and nowhere near being out of the first zone, and some of the monsters are already gray to me (fae gorta? the undead skeletal dudes around webwood). I've started just running by random quest givers out in the wild :) I'll check them out on another character!

steam_sig.png
    PSN: Vorpallion Twitch: Vorpallion
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Racheya wrote:
    I think I might have found a bug in the Uprising quest in Ysa. I pickpocketed the daggers then killed the guy but the game keeps telling me to take the daggers from his body ¬_¬ I'm hoping it'll have cottoned on next time I play. If not, that unfinished quest is gonna be bugging me for the rest of the game :P

Exact same thing happened to me.

And it wasn't one of those things that has corrected itself yet, sadly. After 8 hours.

Did you try destroying the daggers? That's the next step in the quest.

• MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Etiowsa wrote:
    Racheya wrote:
    I think I might have found a bug in the Uprising quest in Ysa. I pickpocketed the daggers then killed the guy but the game keeps telling me to take the daggers from his body ¬_¬ I'm hoping it'll have cottoned on next time I play. If not, that unfinished quest is gonna be bugging me for the rest of the game :P

Exact same thing happened to me.

And it wasn't one of those things that has corrected itself yet, sadly. After 8 hours.

Did you try destroying the daggers? That's the next step in the quest.

I did. Still nada. It's alright; I'm overlevelled for the quest at this point and the EXP gain would be insubstantial. It's just going with 2 other quests that I'm leaving undone, although those are by choice.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Reckoning get! Time to make a hammer mage!

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I didn't interpret the post Gnometank just made as angry, for reference. Disappointed, maybe, but not angry.
    Everybody needs to chill the fuck out, I think.

Here's a tip. Think someones angry? Reread the whole post with the assumption they are not angry.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Pickpocketing does seem to break/sequence break some quests. My habit of talking to NPCs about everything informed me that a particular townsperson was shifty, so of course I got all up in his business and pickpocketd three quest items off him. Later I got the quest for the three items, which were sitting there in my inventory. I still had to go through the entire questline and get shifty guy to "give" me the rings I'd stolen off him before I was allowed to hand them over to the quest giver. Was more amusing than annoying, since at least I could eventually complete the quest.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Mark of Flame is OHK everything in Dalentarth west of Glendara. I still have about six side and two house quests in those areas to do. I thought sorcery was going to be harder than Finesse.

• FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Mark of flame is pretty good.

The hard part as sorcery is that it kind of falls off a little later on, and against big groups you tend to get staggered a lot. Some enemies are annoying to trigger it against as well, treshes like not giving you enough time for application+detonation between their attacks among others.

But in general it's amazing, and makes storm bolt kinda useless. I still use storm bolt because I think it looks cooler to pummel a guy with lightning, set him on fire and then freeze him rather than spam mark of flame :P.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote:
    I thought sorcery was going to be harder than Finesse.

:lol:

Sorcery is so OP, I love it!

I guess the trade off is that Mages are a bit fragile, but meh... its not too bad. I only had trouble in a few spots. Towards the end of the game, most of my fights consisted of me just casting meteor. Once.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Mark of Flame stopped one-shotting bad guys when I bumped it up to hard.

Now it takes 2, or a little chakram action.

Frozenzen wrote:

The hard part as sorcery is that it kind of falls off a little later on, and against big groups you tend to get staggered a lot. Some enemies are annoying to trigger it against as well, treshes like not giving you enough time for application+detonation between their attacks among others.

But in general it's amazing, and makes storm bolt kinda useless. I still use storm bolt because I think it looks cooler to pummel a guy with lightning, set him on fire and then freeze him rather than spam mark of flame :P.

Yeah I like the healthy application of all my spells as well. I didn't have too much trouble with the threshes in the early part of the House of Ballads quest. Of course I used the tree in the middle to stop their ground spells.
    Skull2185 wrote:
    joshgotro wrote:
    I thought sorcery was going to be harder than Finesse.

:lol:

Sorcery is so OP, I love it!

I guess the trade off is that Mages are a bit fragile, but meh... its not too bad. I only had trouble in a few spots. Towards the end of the game, most of my fights consisted of me just casting meteor. Once.

That sounds boring...
    captaink wrote:

I'm playing on Hard, level 6, with Mark of Flame maxed.

Oh, well I've also reached the plains, finally. Enemies caught up to my level a bit by then.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    My Assassin just entered the plains, almost level 30. Some of the quests so far have been really interesting, I have to say. Screenshot time! People who say this game isn't pretty are wacky.

Plains? more like highlands!
    Reckoning2012-02-1523-51-38-76.jpg

Gnome courting ritual in action
    Reckoning2012-02-1523-09-06-59.jpg

See new places, admire the architecture, steal everything that isn't nailed down
    Reckoning2012-02-1523-00-44-09.jpg

Some overachievers built a sunken city in the desert (small boss spoiler in this one, sorry!)
    Reckoning2012-02-1523-06-11-08.jpg

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    Hmm. Guess I don't get the Webwood house this playthrough. Talked to the questgiver the first time, then went looking for the shop. Only, there was a spider I forgot to kill, apparently, and by the time I got out of the shop the spider had killed the guy. QUEST FAILED :(

I could reload but I'm trying to limit the number of sidequests I do anyway, and with the way crafting and loot progression go, there's really no need to save gear anyway.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
    Most of the items in my stash on my finesse run were books. This trend has continued into my sorcery run.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote:

The hard part as sorcery is that it kind of falls off a little later on, and against big groups you tend to get staggered a lot.

Tempest. Meteor. Elemental Rage. DEEEEEEEEAD.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • cmerccmerc Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So is anyone else encountering some weird bugs with aggroing a ton of enemies that aren't even near you on the map? Anytime I run anywhere I seem to end up in a fight with a couple dozen or more enemies that were very far off a second before. Also having some issues with the foes I'm fighting completely disappearing midfight and being replaced by different enemies so I have to start some fights all over.

This would be a lot more annoying if the game was more difficult, but it's still pretty annoying.

cmerc on
    rndmhero
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    So, adessa, what am I missing.
    The screen above should be the adessa bossfight I'm assuming. I got the house, but I can't trigger anything else happening around there. I found the templar who observed me, went to the house and uncovered the spy, murdered him, got the house, nothing. How do I activate the rest of it?

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Vorpal wrote:
    I do think its important not to overabuse reckoning mode if you don't want the game to be too easy. (Basically I save it for bosses) I usually try to beat stuff without reckoning mode first - and I don't stress too much about getting the max xp bonus for reckoning, as I don't want to get too severely overlevelled.

I think I'm level..9? and nowhere near being out of the first zone, and some of the monsters are already gray to me (fae gorta? the undead skeletal dudes around webwood). I've started just running by random quest givers out in the wild :) I'll check them out on another character!

I'm pretty sure I did 100% of the quests in the first area, and just left to move onto the next area, and the final quest I turned in (the main story quest) hit me to level 20. I'll be heading back when I've got my detect hidden to 10 so I can find all those damn lorestones.

Towards the end it was a bit strange, as all the stuff outside the dungeons, which would have spawned when I was much lower level was insanely easy, then you walk into a dungeon which would spawn more higher level enemies and it would be a noticable difference in how much damage they could take.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Man, I think this game really wants you to break it. I just got a pair of high level chakrams that give you a flat 20% damage bonus for no damn reason. There really needs to be a higher difficulty. Even bigger numbers would make things closer to challenging. At this point I'm just blinking through people and letting them suicide on my spinning orbs of death.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    So.... Im leveling even faster as I get to the higher levels. No xp gear or nothing.

Game balance much? or whaaat?

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
    Frozenzen wrote:
    So, adessa, what am I missing.
    The screen above should be the adessa bossfight I'm assuming. I got the house, but I can't trigger anything else happening around there. I found the templar who observed me, went to the house and uncovered the spy, murdered him, got the house, nothing. How do I activate the rest of it?

You need to
    talk to the one Templar woman that Hughes told you about. Then you have to confront Octienne at the Archives, or whatever it's called-- Library.

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    I think the only thing that makes Sorcery any stronger than other trees would be the lack of ranged enemies. Put together a group of archers, or multiple mages, and it's a damn hard fight. Also Meteor has way too large of an AoE for that much instant damage. Tempest does far less.

Hmm. Guess I don't get the Webwood house this playthrough. Talked to the questgiver the first time, then went looking for the shop. Only, there was a spider I forgot to kill, apparently, and by the time I got out of the shop the spider had killed the guy. QUEST FAILED :(

I could reload but I'm trying to limit the number of sidequests I do anyway, and with the way crafting and loot progression go, there's really no need to save gear anyway.

There are a few houses in the game :) I have a house, an office and a villa so far...with half the game still undone. So don't stress about that house.

Capture.jpg~original
    Lanrutcon wrote:

There are a few houses in the game :) I have a house, an office and a villa so far...with half the game still undone. So don't stress about that house.

Man, fuck all of those. I have a fucking cave.
    To the Archsage Cave! Nananananananana Arch-saaaaaage!

jagobannerpic.jpg
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote:
    So.... Im leveling even faster as I get to the higher levels. No xp gear or nothing.

Game balance much? or whaaat?

This.

I was pleasantly surprised at first because I played for several hours and only gained 4 levels or so. Now I'm dicking around the plains and it seems like every 2 or 3 quests I pop another level.

It's really weird because I want to like this game but the more I play it the more it's starting to get on my nerves.

I can't complain though. Almost 40 hours in and not even out of the first kingdom. Yes, it's way too easy, there's entirely too many useless side quests and crafting breaks the game but you certainly get your money's worth.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote:
    It's like you guys work together to troll anyone who comes in here with anything other than the most glorious of opinions.

I said explicitely that the game has tons of content, and I'm just surprised the lead designer exaggerated the content time by 300% or more. It was promoted that the game took 200 hours to 100% speed run, playing several times faster than a normal player would. One of the dev quotes, captaink, ironically said they should be saying how huge the game is on the box. I thought that was a pretty silly exageration, given how absurd it was and given how widespread it was quoted. Then suddenly I'm somehow upset there's not enough content? Herpes, no one is letting the comments in this thread "prevent them from enjoying this game" except you. Just because you read a comment you don't agree with, doesn't mean it's a damn gauntlet being thrown down.

I'm going to take the advice I've received in a PM and just stop reading this thread. At first I was able to ignore the blatant fanboyism that causes some people to attack anyone with a differing opinion, in the hope that I could glean some honest opinions about the finer points in this game. I was wrong. Even very specific comments, if not flat out gushing and groveling, are trolled and then torn apart. Basil's comments especially are almost every single time just a stupid quip to devalue another's opinion. You win, man. You're so witty and sarcastic that I now agree with your opinion instead.

Maybe in a few weeks when I perhaps pick up this title, this thread will be filled with the usual fun, friendly, and open discussion that's characteristic of the G&T forums. For now, it's like a high school locker room and all the "cool kids" are snickering in the corner.

The hell? Why did you single me out? I explicity said that the 200 hour thing was pretty silly given that its unlikely it actually took said time. I wasn't upset at all, and I don't think you actually read my posts. Plus, yeah, people were bitching about false advertising and whatnot.

And man, no one is claiming the game is glorious and perfect. Even the people who like it a lot have problems with various things from difficulty to the camera, to the graphics or whatever.

Just don't get all bent out of shape when people call others on claims that are actually bullshit...you know, "this game is just like WoW" or nonsense like that.

Damn, calm down duder.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Guys, could we all just post together in peace and harmony? I really like this game, despite its flaws, and I'd rather newcomers to this thread not walk into a raging shitstorm and get scared off.

So on topic: anyone know when the final tier of Rogue armor starts dropping? Dreadscale, or whatever it's called? I'm level 31 in the plains area.

Capture.jpg~original
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    You know, there is one thing that has bugged me about the game the entire time and I only picked up on what was wrong when I played Borderlands a bit today: The invisible level scaling. When you wander around the zones, you inevitably outlevel old enemies and new zones "scale" to your level. The problem is that due to the very limited number of different enemies, a wolf in the first zone has nothing in particular to tell it apart from a wolf in the plains area later on. It kind of bothers me that random doods I just annihilate in earlier zones suddenly become briliant out of nowhere when I reach another.

Borderlands does this as well, but solves the problem by giving enemies in a new area different names or differentiation, so you can tell when you are running into weaker enemies (as compared to leveled up ones or stronger ones). It's something I feel the game could use and it's not that hard a system to implement. It would just help give a sense of progression - even if it's just an illusion - as opposed to feeling like I'm walking on a constant treadmill against the same 7 enemies or so constantly (which is becoming a bigger issue the longer I am playing the game).

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I thought people said that doing all the sidequests meant everything was grey to them in new areas.
    Are you saying that open area zones you have not gone to before level to you the first time you enter them?
    I'm very keen to get this game still when I get the cash and was a bit bummed that my customary habit of getting constantly sidetracked off the main story in open world games was going to eventually make the whole game easy as pie.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    I thought people said that doing all the sidequests meant everything was grey to them in new areas.
    Are you saying that open area zones you have not gone to before level to you the first time you enter them?
    I'm very keen to get this game still when I get the cash and was a bit bummed that my customary habit of getting constantly sidetracked off the main story in open world games was going to eventually make the whole game easy as pie.

It works like so: Area X is rated from levels y to z. Y being the minimum level things will spawn as, z being the maximum. When you enter a zone for the first time it checks your level and sets the area's level accordingly. If your level is equal or less than the minimum, then the area is set to the minimum. If your level is equal or greater than the maximum, then the area is set to the maximum. If your level is between the minimum and maximum, then the area is set to your level. This setting is permanent.

Example:
    I enter a map at level 33. The map is rated as 15 to 18, so the map becomes a level 18 map.
    I enter a map at level 20. The map is rated 18 to 22, so the map becomes a level 20 map.

This rule does not apply to dungeons. Dungeon level mechanics are still being figured out.

Capture.jpg~original
    edited February 2012
    Well, the devs have acknowledged the difficulty issues and are theoretically thinking of a way to fix it so that it doesn't peter off into being super easy.

What, if any, result will come remains to be seen.

I'll interested to hear what they have to say because honestly virtually every open-ish world RPG these days has this exact issue. All your Skyrims and Fallouts and Kingdoms just get so damn easy way too quickly. And just buffing the HP/armor of enemies isn't a good solution; that just makes every battle a chore..see Mass Effect (1) on Insanity or Oblivion. The whole level range by "cell" is, I think, ideal; but maybe they just need to broaden the ranges, not be afraid to make some zones above the level cap so that you simply can't outlevel it; tailor it not only to level but to gear, etc.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So, after 30+ hours in, judging by the world map, I've completed roughly 2/5 of the game. Speaking from the perspective that accounts for this being the first attempt from a brand new game studio, I am impressed with damn near everything this game has to offer. It's not perfect by any means, but I truly believe there is a place for an RPG of this particular flavor.

One little complaint I have is that there doesn't seem to be anything (like at all dude seriously) to spend money on. I am level 31 and i have 2.5 million gold. Literally the only things I've purchased from vendors are lockpicks, repair kits, and inventory expansions. It's not often that I beg for a money-sink but I'm kind of wishing Amalur had a property system like Fable, where it let me invest my gold into vast amounts of real estate so at least I'd have somewhere to put it all before endgame.

Anyhoo. I'm only a few levels away from finally unlocking my Universalist destiny (+3 to ALL SKILLS thank you very much), and I have yet to find a single thing that makes me regret spending the $60 for the Steam pre-order. I know some people have complaints about the game--some of which are valid, without a doubt--but I think the determining factor in whether or not you enjoy Amalur will be a matter of how much a particular oversight/shortcoming bothers you individually.

Edit:
    Aegeri wrote:
    ......a wolf in the first zone has nothing in particular to tell it apart from a wolf in the plains area later on......

......Borderlands does this as well, but solves the problem by giving enemies in a new area different names or differentiation, so you can tell when you are running into weaker enemies (as compared to leveled up ones or stronger ones).......

Look at the color of the mob's name floating over its head. It's exactly the same color-coding system found in other games. If its name is grey, you outlevel it. If it's yellow it's level-appropriate. Orange, it might kill you, etc.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
    edited February 2012
    Figgy wrote:
    Basil's comments especially are almost every single time just a stupid quip to devalue another's opinion. You win, man. You're so witty and sarcastic that I now agree with your opinion instead.

I'll be honest. I didn't read this entire post the first time and it wasn't until The Dude replied just now that I saw this. Now that I have I can't sit back and ignore it.

Basil is actually a lovely happy chirpy soul with a sense of humor that extends from the ludicrous all the way to the darkly satirical. He will make a ridiculous comment because it amuses him to make it. He throws wit and satire to the wilds in equal measure for the enjoyment at all.
    He is in now way arguing seriously with anyone ever. To believe so is to grossly mischaracterise him. Satire can sometimes look like sarcasm, but it's always put forth because he thinks it's a funny thing to say, not because he is trying to win over anyone.

It distresses me that anyone thinks like this about Basil. His sense of humor might not agree with everyone, but there's no malicious intent behind it and he means no harm.

Morninglord on
    Well, the devs have acknowledged the difficulty issues and are theoretically thinking of a way to fix it so that it doesn't peter off into being super easy.

I'll interested to hear what they have to say because honestly virtually every open-ish world RPG these days has this exact issue. All your Skyrims and Fallouts and Kingdoms just get so damn easy way too quickly. And just buffing the HP/armor of enemies isn't a good solution; that just makes every battle a chore..see Mass Effect (1) on Insanity or Oblivion. The whole level range by "cell" is, I think, ideal; but maybe they just need to broaden the ranges, not be afraid to make some zones above the level cap so that you simply can't outlevel it; tailor it not only to level but to gear, etc.

Add a new difficulty, have it do the following:
    - You can only carry 5 of a potion. Not 5 per stack, 5 total.
    - Add a potion drinking animation.
    - Add a potion cooldown, share globally between similar potions. All mana/mana regen pots share a cooldown, all defensive buff potions share a cooldown, etc.
    - Add more elemental effects/status debuffs to enemy attacks. Make resistances count.
    - Add a serious gold cost to Blacksmithing based on the components used. An chest made from an epic gem with master materials should set you back something stupid like 200k.
    - Lower the droprate on crystals, even with the Sagecrafting skill. Up the cost the buy crystals and gems. Add a moderate cost associated to crafting gems.
    - Cap all item mods; you should not be able to stack things like +armor mods till you are immune to physical damage. Same goes for health regen, damage reduction, crit rate, etc etc.
    - Disable Reckoning mode for boss battles.
    - Lower Fate gained rate.
    - Disable respeccing.

Capture.jpg~original
  • V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote:
    You know, there is one thing that has bugged me about the game the entire time and I only picked up on what was wrong when I played Borderlands a bit today: The invisible level scaling. When you wander around the zones, you inevitably outlevel old enemies and new zones "scale" to your level. The problem is that due to the very limited number of different enemies, a wolf in the first zone has nothing in particular to tell it apart from a wolf in the plains area later on. It kind of bothers me that random doods I just annihilate in earlier zones suddenly become briliant out of nowhere when I reach another.

Borderlands does this as well, but solves the problem by giving enemies in a new area different names or differentiation, so you can tell when you are running into weaker enemies (as compared to leveled up ones or stronger ones). It's something I feel the game could use and it's not that hard a system to implement. It would just help give a sense of progression - even if it's just an illusion - as opposed to feeling like I'm walking on a constant treadmill against the same 7 enemies or so constantly (which is becoming a bigger issue the longer I am playing the game).

Like a "dire" or "alpha" title in the name? It might go a long way in making the enemies feel more diverse.

After finishing the House of Valor quests last night (love 'em, btw), I went and split my save into two distinct branches. One will remain as my character currently exists: a Finesse/Sorcery build where I look like a walking disco ball. The other, which is now acting as the main file, has my guy respecced into a full-on Might-based only meathead. His basic tactic in combat consists of wielding and swinging around a sword... and then a bigger sword. Don't worry, however, as I pumped up my Blacksmith and crafted some choice pieces of armor of the +Health and +Damage variety for a good combination.

One thing I've appreciated about the game so far is the player character's ability to wield any weapon type. At the same time this mentality also invades the character's resource system--in other words the mana bar. While playing a full Might build, it feels weird to be using mana for abilities where none of my armor really calls for it nor do my stat allocations emphasize giving me that mana back.

I can see the argument that it's necessary from a game systems standpoint or that it's there to support the hybrid Might/Sorcery build or that lore-wise the justification comes from the spell really being an honest to goodness spell. But still, a cooldown system exists, too. I think having an all-Might or all-Finesse character getting the choice to either stick with mana or longer cooldown cycle would've been nice.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
    edited February 2012
    Lanrutcon wrote:

Add a new difficulty, have it do the following:
    - You can only carry 5 of a potion. Not 5 per stack, 5 total.
    - Add a potion drinking animation.
    - Add a potion cooldown, share globally between similar potions. All mana/mana regen pots share a cooldown, all defensive buff potions share a cooldown, etc.
    - Add more elemental effects/status debuffs to enemy attacks. Make resistances count.
    - Add a serious gold cost to Blacksmithing based on the components used. An chest made from an epic gem with master materials should set you back something stupid like 200k.
    - Lower the droprate on crystals, even with the Sagecrafting skill. Up the cost the buy crystals and gems. Add a moderate cost associated to crafting gems.
    - Cap all item mods; you should not be able to stack things like +armor mods till you are immune to physical damage. Same goes for health regen, damage reduction, crit rate, etc etc.
    - Disable Reckoning mode for boss battles.
    - Lower Fate gained rate.
    - Disable respeccing.

Some of those are fine for the game in general, but I think some would necessitate a "hardcore" mode or something, they'd be too much to deal with for an average player. Plus, I'm against removing the option to respec in virtually any game. Particularly games this long. Make respeccing difficult if you must, requiring a lot of investment, whatever; but leave the option. Nothing is worse than having 50 hours in a game and realizing you dicked up your spec and you can't change it, having a patch make your spec bad, or almost worse, play with a cookie cutter spec in mind which limits your options out of fear or being crappy late game.

EDIT: I have no desire to turn this into a debate over the merits of respeccing. I think the Diablo 3 thread was arguing over that for like two years straight with no resolution. Some people like it, some don't. Both sides have solid reasoning, they just don't agree.

The Dude With Herpes on

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Some enemy types are still challenging depending on build. The Niskaru packs, for one, since they can stunlock so easily if you're not careful.

XNnw6Gk.jpg