As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning] DLC on March 20th! Info in OP.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    The only reason I added respeccing was to remove skill abuse. Ability respeccing is fine, skill respeccing is not. It allows you to spec into crafting, create something, spec back into combat. It also allows you to circumvent trainer limits, giving you a fuckload of extra skill points. Did you know that by abusing respeccing, finding every trainer (not hard, they're marked on your map) and finding every statically (not even the random ones!) placed skillbook you are 1 skillpoint short of maxing everything at 40?

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Grey PaladinGrey Paladin Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    This could probably make Might harder if played in a certain style, but as Finesse or Magic, you can just stay out of range and avoid all damage through rolling. In my experience Finesse and Sorcery play less like Devil May Cry and more like some bullet hell shooter, except that the bullets are really slow and there are only a few of them. I only ever needed to drink that many potions in the fight against the Maid, and I was cursed with -35% resistance. If you are opposed to making enemies smarter, at least make their attacks faster or, like, double the damage.

Grey Paladin on
    "All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." - T.E. Lawrence
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Everything I read says Shadow Flare sucks. With Shadow Flare and Enduring Agony capped out, it's easily my most powerful ability. Or, at the very least, its time-to-damage ratio is the highest. The damage per flare isn't tremendous, but there are 5 of them. I think what people are missing, in a lot of these build guides, is that it's pretty easy to put most, if not all of those flares into a single target (especially if that target's big, like a Troll).

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    shadow flare isnt there for damage anyway

its there to cancel into and out of, as well as applying a bleed that increases your physical damage

niskaru charging at you and you stuck in a recovery animation?

first part of shadow flare him to stop his attack dead... at range and for only 20 manas

so pro

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    Popped a troll in the face with a Shadow Flare in the desert. All five daggers hit, all five daggers critted. So...11k odd dmage?

Not there for damage? pfft. It annihilates large enemies.

Capture.jpg~original
    edited February 2012
    Pretty much.

I use it for straight damage all the time. It's the finisher in my opening combo against high priority targets. If you're in close, Shadow Flare will absolutely wreck whatever you're up against. It's got a lot of other utility, though, obviously; I also use it to help set up Longbow juggles after a Faeblade Talon Strike. The Talon Strike puts them in the air, but you can't get many hits in before they land. I've found that if you Talon Strike, then Shadow Flare the target on his way down (just the first part of Shadow Flare, not the second), you'll be set up for full-on Longbow spam. I usually follow that up with a roll-to-Cyclone, to get them back up so I can continue to combo.

Actually, here's a video of a guy that's Finesse/Might doing pretty much exactly what I'm talking about. He does Harpoon / Quake after the Longbow portion of the combo, but it still works for him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPuFvoLbPR4&feature=channel_video_title

milk ducks on
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Dungeons seem to be leveled to you when you go in. Before I left that first zone, the last few quests I was clearing up I had taken ages ago and took place in zones where everything was grey, going into the caves/ruins where the final objectives took place for the first time however, everything in there was yellow or orange.

It seems to me that if they wanted to make the game a little harder they could just put level requirements on the various tiers of crafting equipment. I'm still just exploring the plains, I've only gone through about three of its subsections just looking around, haven't even dented it and I crafted some 130 attack power frost chackrams when I first got here that just totally rip everything that can be staggered to pieces. Trolls, Jottuns, and Ettins can just be hit with Lightning Bolt and Ice Barrage over and over and locked down.

Or you know Meteor. God how I love Meteor. There was one zone in the plains where I was able to round up like 6 wolves, 4 bandits, and 3 Jottuns in one huge group which just screamed for Reckoning Mode into Meteor.

EDIT: Also since you know, I have meteor in just the second area of the game, if they tied mats to levels, they should probably slow down how fast you gain experience or since they seem to want the player to get access to all the fun things early one so that you have a lot to play with, remove the cap at level 40 and just let you have modest HP/MP gains each level and spread out the crafting mats so that you know, if you're level 30 by the second zone you can just use improved mats, 40 for greater mats and 50 for master mats.

Viskod on
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    Fuck this fucking place with three Fae caster bitches while ashdfklahgkagh. I am in the first dungeon in the desert zone where you have to activate the piller/waterfall/tree and I cannot for the of me beat the spot with three fae casters. I'm full might with Greatswords at the moment and I just get wrecked.

Fuck this fucking place with three Fae caster bitches while ashdfklahgkagh. I am in the first dungeon in the desert zone where you have to activate the piller/waterfall/tree and I cannot for the of me beat the spot with three fae casters. I'm full might with Greatswords at the moment and I just get wrecked.

Reckoning mode? maybe? Or drink buff potions till you're peeing blood? I dunno. I snuck up and knifed em.

Capture.jpg~original
  • BookerBooker Registered User regular
    Relentless Assault should stop them from staggering you while you smash them. On the other hand, I always found the greatsword ineffective (though deliciously stylish) when applied to casters. Most of the other weapons are better for knockdown and stunning. If you have a longsword, you might want to try that, just to keep them knocked down.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I respecced my pure Finesse character to redistribute just a few points into Longsword Mastery (I love the Finesse abilities but I do like big swords, too), crafted a prismere longsword with +critical hit damage and chance, and ohmygod it's disgustingly powerful. I've completely broken the game now.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • WadeWilsonWadeWilson Registered User regular
    So, my lovely wife bought me this game for Valentine's Day. (I knew I married her for a reason!) It's pretty durn fun. So as always in these sorts of games, I'm rolling a Stabby McStabberton assassin. I was going pure finesse, until i read the later destiny cards for sorcery/finesse. Then I respecced. for one reason: I neeeed some bamf action. Bamfing around via clouds of poison sounds so badass. Now I regret not taking the Death God (or whichever it was that gave you +poison stuff). As I aim for the latter Sorcery/Finesse destinies, I am confounded by Dread/Panic. I see no skills related to or mentioning Panic except in the Might Tree (War Cry). I'mma confused.

Also, how many pips do I need in stealth before I can murder willy-nilly? Every group of bad guys does extremely well of leaving no blind spots to approach from... It gets a bit frustrating.

WadeWilson wrote:
    So, my lovely wife bought me this game for Valentine's Day. (I knew I married her for a reason!) It's pretty durn fun. So as always in these sorts of games, I'm rolling a Stabby McStabberton assassin. I was going pure finesse, until i read the later destiny cards for sorcery/finesse. Then I respecced. for one reason: I neeeed some bamf action. Bamfing around via clouds of poison sounds so badass. Now I regret not taking the Death God (or whichever it was that gave you +poison stuff). As I aim for the latter Sorcery/Finesse destinies, I am confounded by Dread/Panic. I see no skills related to or mentioning Panic except in the Might Tree (War Cry). I'mma confused.

Also, how many pips do I need in stealth before I can murder willy-nilly? Every group of bad guys does extremely well of leaving no blind spots to approach from... It gets a bit frustrating.

I posted some stealth tips a page or two ago. Isn't panic caused by setting something on fire?

Capture.jpg~original
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited February 2012
    You can use shadow prisms to distract enemies so as to stealth kill them. I haven't done it, but that's what they're for. Also Smoke Bomb, when you get it. Also you can dodge roll while stealthed, allowing you to move much faster. With 6 points in stealth and dodge rolling up, you can very often get in and get a backstab before they react, even if some of them are facing you.

Panic is caused by fire damage, but only sometimes and only some enemies. It's not something you can do reliably, I think.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited February 2012
    burp

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    use smokebomb

its how i 1-shot a lot of bosses

just smoke bomb them and stealth crit them for 27k with a greatsword

obF2Wuw.png
  • WadeWilsonWadeWilson Registered User regular
    Panic is caused by fire damage, but only sometimes and only some enemies. It's not something you can do reliably, I think.
    That seems rather meh, and un-synergistic.
    Lanrutcon wrote:
    I posted some stealth tips a page or two ago. Isn't panic caused by setting something on fire?
    Excellent tips, btw. Until I read those, I crept everywhere. Now, everyday I'm tumblin'. And thanks to you and Tiger I will be using all those shadow prisms I found.

I look forward to smoke bomb, I'm rushing finesse (execpt some chakram points for when i get jumped) for that sole reason. Also everyone should put at least 1 point in Might. Harpoon is so good. I imagine everyone of these Red Legion Bandits having this train of thought: "Haha! I'm out of range of your daggers!" *Spear* "Crap." *Dead*

I need to find two things: A fence and a house or storage. I'm tired of doing the inventory shuffle. I already dropped 7.5k on a backpack.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    WadeWilson wrote:
    That seems rather meh, and un-synergistic.
    Lanrutcon wrote:
    Excellent tips, btw. Until I read those, I crept everywhere. Now, everyday I'm tumblin'. And thanks to you and Tiger I will be using all those shadow prisms I found.

I look forward to smoke bomb, I'm rushing finesse (execpt some chakram points for when i get jumped) for that sole reason. Also everyone should put at least 1 point in Might. Harpoon is so good. I imagine everyone of these Red Legion Bandits having this train of thought: "Haha! I'm out of range of your daggers!" *Spear* "Crap." *Dead*

I need to find two things: A fence and a house or storage. I'm tired of doing the inventory shuffle. I already dropped 7.5k on a backpack.

Go to Cannerac in Webwood and you can do a side-quest for a house.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I have to admit I've enjoyed going pure might. Slowly getting better with Greatswords. Now Longswords just feel like twigs. Using the block-attack with a greatsword is a fantastic way to close the distance on someone, AND dodge a pack of enemies! Plus it just looks bad ass poll-vaulting with your greatsword. Not a huge fan of the greatswords dodge-attack, but it has its uses. I guess once I fully get used to greatswords I'll want to slow down even further with hammers. I got relentless assault but I try not to abuse it. I think I've only used it when dealing with large packs of jotun. Can't seem to get the parry timing down for them at all.

Love the Jotun assassination animation. I could stealth kill Jotun and Ettin all day.

Capture.jpg~original
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote:
    Love the Jotun assassination animation. I could stealth kill Jotun and Ettin all day.

This is probably the reason I will never get to using much of anything that isn't a dagger

PSN SeGaTai
  • FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular

I ran past them, killed the quest objective and came back without the debuffs. Made them a lot easier.

And the arena battle with a billion fairies is really hard as finesse/sorcery, I they literally stunlock me forever if I get caught with one attack, so I can't really cast any spells. Just dodge, 2 chakram attacks repeat. And the faeblade dodge attack is actually harmful to me here as I can't dodge out of it, while if I didn't have it I could attack with them instead.

frozen if you get stuck in an animation use the first part of shadow flare to break it

obF2Wuw.png
    so shadow flare breaks you out of any other kind of animation?

edited February 2012
    your moves are in tiers

tier 0 consists of the first parts of basic attack combos - everything other than the finisher. this can be broken by anything

tier 1 is basic attack finishers and special moves like your block + attack combo. this can only be broken by tier 2 - you cant block out of this shit

tier 2 is abilities, and can be broken by nothing

so as a general rule you transition from 0 to 1 to 2 in the course of a combo, and the only time you cant cancel truly is if you're stuck in an ability animation. shadow flare has an exceptionally short cast and recovery time, plus its a ranged interrupt that works on all kinds of monsters so it is very useful

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    So even as a pure sorcery character it wouldn't hurt me to throw 1 point in finesse to grab it just for canceling and interrupting?

• DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    That youtube video is making me think of using a bow vs. Chakhrams. That looked bad ass.

edited February 2012
    you can use the first part of mark of flame for the same purpose, albeit not quite as snappy

but yeah if youre happy switching skills quickly shadow flare is very very good

id be putting a few points in finesse anyway for the crit damage out of stealth... that shit includes spells y0

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • EnderEnder Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote:
    I have to admit I've enjoyed going pure might. Slowly getting better with Greatswords. Now Longswords just feel like twigs. Using the block-attack with a greatsword is a fantastic way to close the distance on someone, AND dodge a pack of enemies! Plus it just looks bad ass poll-vaulting with your greatsword. Not a huge fan of the greatswords dodge-attack, but it has its uses. I guess once I fully get used to greatswords I'll want to slow down even further with hammers. I got relentless assault but I try not to abuse it. I think I've only used it when dealing with large packs of jotun. Can't seem to get the parry timing down for them at all.

The dodge attack from greatswords is pretty much a guaranteed stagger. Works perfectly on mages and the like.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote:
    So even as a pure sorcery character it wouldn't hurt me to throw 1 point in finesse to grab it just for canceling and interrupting?

If you're running pure sorcery, there's several abilities that are hard to be canceled out of. For example, when casting Meteor, you CAN get interrupted during the casting phase, but the Meteor's already been summoned, and it'll hit a second later.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    Viskod wrote:

If you're running pure sorcery, there's several abilities that are hard to be canceled out of. For example, when casting Meteor, you CAN get interrupted during the casting phase, but the Meteor's already been summoned, and it'll hit a second later.

Oh that's happened before and its awesome, it frees me up to hit them with something else... you know, as if I needed to.

• AtaxrxesAtaxrxes Hellnation Cursed EarthRegistered User regular
    So Longbows and Chakrams is totally doable. Respecced to this on my day off yesterday and had a blast. I lay down a bunch of frost traps then start in with the rain of arrows. Whatever makes it to me gets frozen in traps/stunned by lightning/roasted with mark of flame/shadowflared. If they aren't dead by then a couple chakram hits does the job. One problem I am having is finding a decent bow. My best bow is a purple one with 71 dmg. The best I could craft was 63 and I have max BS and Sagecrafting. The best bow Ive seen on a vendor was 113 dmg or something but cost over 300k and I only have 100k. I want a better bow dammit! Oh, I'm level 22 or something close to that.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I have around 3 million gold at the moment. I have literally no idea whatsoever what there is to actually spend that on. I don't seem to be able to get the mansion in Detrith (or whatever it is called) and I don't own any other property. It would be great if I could find a use for all this gold, because I haven't seen anything worth buying from a vendor in a billion years now.

I also have to admit this game is bugging me in a new way. With many quests, they will direct you to go to a dungeon and you need to find/kill/see whatever it is they want. Unfortunately, if you go to many dungeons early, you can't initiate the quest that way: It has to be from the quest giver. By far the most egerious example of this is in the town in Kandrian, where you have the people disappearing.
    If you figure this out quick, like I did and break into the guys house to go into his basement then you can naturally see that something is incredibly fucked up in there. But sadly, the game does not let you interact with him or do anything at all until you activate the quest (Through the KoA equivalent of the Mages Guild).

This is pretty immersion breaking and really makes the gameworld feel very artificial. It doesn't do it terribly obviously most of the time, but when it does it's actually pretty infuriating. This is actually something that Skyrim handles a lot better (as a fairly decent comparison). If you come across something part of the way through a questline generally speaking it will allow you to pick up on it from there onwards. A good example of this is the gauldor amulet fragment, where the quest can be initiated in four different ways and at different stages of the quest. The way KoA does things penalizes exploring dungeons, because inevitably you'll just have to go back through the damn thing anyway when the quest for it appears. Running through Shardfall again because I hadn't initiated the quest for it was kind of annoying as an example.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Just crafted one hell of a pair of daggers:
    Reckoning2012-02-1700-25-08-00.jpg
    I don't know if I'll ever be able to make anything better than that.

Capture.jpg~original
    your moves are in tiers

tier 0 consists of the first parts of basic attack combos - everything other than the finisher. this can be broken by anything

tier 1 is basic attack finishers and special moves like your block + attack combo. this can only be broken by tier 2 - you cant block out of this shit

so as a general rule you transition from 0 to 1 to 2 in the course of a combo, and the only time you cant cancel truly is if you're stuck in an ability animation. shadow flare has an exceptionally short cast and recovery time, plus its a ranged interrupt that works on all kinds of monsters so it is very useful

Hey man, I was thinking about addressing basically this exact thing in my next gameplay commentary. You've framed it in a way that I probably wouldn't have thought of, and it makes a lot of sense. Do you have a Youtube channel or something that I could link viewers to in the details section? I'd love to give you credit for breaking attacks / abilities into Tier groups. That makes understanding it a lot easier.

• GnomercyGnomercy Chicago SuburbsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    On one hand I absolutely hate how a lot of this games quests are about as fun as me picking up my laundry from the dry cleaners. On the other hand it frustrates me so much when people give me these quests, so I just get to kill them and be on my way. So I think it cancels out and ends up being ok.

I don't really know how you guys do every side-quest and not want to murder your errand-masters or /wrist, but to each their own, that is the point of the game I believe! So it's doing something right.

Gnomercy on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I have killed several of them - notably by setting them on fire. It's a habit I picked up from Skyrim and I shall continue doing for great justice.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    milk ducks wrote:
    your moves are in tiers

Hey man, I was thinking about addressing basically this exact thing in my next gameplay commentary. You've framed it in a way that I probably wouldn't have thought of, and it makes a lot of sense. Do you have a Youtube channel or something that I could link viewers to in the details section? I'd love to give you credit for breaking attacks / abilities into Tier groups. That makes understanding it a lot easier.
    The devs already made one!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyu38nXLcko

They talk about it about 4 minutes in.

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    There is great joy to be had in setting people alight for their impertinence.

Why yes, of course I'll exterminate the rats in your cellar. Right after I rip out your soul and murder all of your unborn children, and their children's children. For eternity.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Making the push to the finish now, I hit level 40 about an hour ago. Respecced into full Finesse. That top tier bomb ability I can't remember the name of is a lot of fun to play around with.

I like everything about Alabastra. The music and the environment is really atmospheric.

Aistan on