As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning] DLC on March 20th! Info in OP.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Scepters seem to be falling way behind, damage-wise. I should respec out of them and into chakrams.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • BookerBooker Registered User regular
    I think scepters have a place with a mage who is kiting large ferocious monsters. Chakrams are hella fun though, so I can't say you are wrong. What I will say is my experience with a scepter killing a large ferocious monster for me.

My first character was a battlemage. Patron god was Vraekor, so this character was basically supposed to be a fire paladin. Most of his weapons are fire based; Fire enchanted longsword, fire staff, mark of flame, you get the deal. So when I first encountered a Niskaru tyrant, I was woefully unprepared for a fire resistant boss. Regular Niskaru are tough, but they still burn. And if it burned, I could kill it. The Niskaru tyrant was different. If I moved in, he smashed me with his tail, if I tried to cast massive flames onto him, he would smash me with his giant arm. Or burn me. Luckily I was still carrying a spare ice scepter. That thing let my move far enough away to constantly pelt the monster with ice chunks, while still having the time to dodge each attack.

Scepters main advantage is rapid fire. They are fast, low damage weapons, similar to daggers. They also have great range. The main downside is that they are not nearly as flashy or fun as chakrams.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    So, last night I figured out that dungeon loot doesn't adhere to the level restrictions of the outside world. I jus started the plains as a level 31 and I'm seeing normal loot on the outside, but in dungeons I'm getting prismere gear like nobody's business.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Welp, all finished.

Level 40
    Day 88
    210 Quests finished
    64 Hours played
    9.7 Million gold

I quite enjoyed it. I probably would have enjoyed the ending areas a lot more if it wasn't for
    whatsherface jabbering in my ear nonstop for the entire last two areas. Someone forgot to turn down the "dramatic reading" dial when they were recording her voice lines, my god.

Overall it was a fun game. I'll definitely keep an eye out for any sorts of DLC they come out with.

It took until the last area until I noticed my character was essentially a bizarro world/negative image version of that dark elf lady. Except with more clothes on.
    2t6Cn.jpg

Aistan on
    Man, I will never have 9.7 million gold. I am way too much of a packrat/salvage addict.

Capture.jpg~original
  • DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    Are there any Skill Tree simulators out there? I hit level 12 and I want to respec and plan it out a bit.

• V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Man, people put way more thought in to the combat than I do.
    I just hit people with my sword until they die.
    Feel kinda bad now..

• LorekLorek Registered User regular
    DrunkMc wrote:
    Are there any Skill Tree simulators out there? I hit level 12 and I want to respec and plan it out a bit.

http://www.38watch.com/calculator/

• GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    V Faction wrote:

So much better and less awkward than the Jimmy Fallon interview.

But I'm sure that's true of pretty much every comparison between Conan and Jimmy Fallon.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Booker wrote:
    I think scepters have a place with a mage who is kiting large ferocious monsters. Chakrams are hella fun though, so I can't say you are wrong. What I will say is my experience with a scepter killing a large ferocious monster for me.

My first character was a battlemage. Patron god was Vraekor, so this character was basically supposed to be a fire paladin. Most of his weapons are fire based; Fire enchanted longsword, fire staff, mark of flame, you get the deal. So when I first encountered a Niskaru tyrant, I was woefully unprepared for a fire resistant boss. Regular Niskaru are tough, but they still burn. And if it burned, I could kill it. The Niskaru tyrant was different. If I moved in, he smashed me with his tail, if I tried to cast massive flames onto him, he would smash me with his giant arm. Or burn me. Luckily I was still carrying a spare ice scepter. That thing let my move far enough away to constantly pelt the monster with ice chunks, while still having the time to dodge each attack.

Scepters main advantage is rapid fire. They are fast, low damage weapons, similar to daggers. They also have great range. The main downside is that they are not nearly as flashy or fun as chakrams.

Yeah, you're much much more mobile while using scepters then chakrams. And they have better range. The trade off is damage but remember you hit a lot more often with a scepter then you do a chakram or a staff.

Lads, you should try bows. They're heavily talent dependent, but by god they snipe the shit out of things.

Capture.jpg~original
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    8-)
    011E1D845AF83D44305B4E88E21D8ACC9020E17E

At level 6 at the moment on hard and at that part where I saved the fateshiter guy from dying by killing the monster that was suppose to kill him.

Also is there a list that tells me what Physical Damage, Elemental Damage and Melee Damage do? Or are these stats dependent on what your weapon/armor says?

Like for example if I go Rogue Destiny it says I get +5% Piercing Damage and with My Omniblade Daggers it says I get 6 Piercing Damage. Does that mean my 6 Piercing Damage gets increased by 5%?

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    Riokenn wrote:
    8-)
    011E1D845AF83D44305B4E88E21D8ACC9020E17E

At level 6 at the moment on hard and at that part where I saved the fateshiter guy from dying by killing the monster that was suppose to kill him.

Also is there a list that tells me what Physical Damage, Elemental Damage and Melee Damage do? Or are these stats dependent on what your weapon/armor says?

Like for example if I go Rogue Destiny it says I get +5% Piercing Damage and with My Omniblade Daggers it says I get 6 Piercing Damage. Does that mean my 6 Piercing Damage gets increased by 5%?

Plus damage applies to all sources of that kind of damage. So your +5% piercing damage would increase all the piercing damage you do, regardless of source. Be it a weapon, an ability, a modifier on a weapon, a potion buff, etc. You can craft +ice damage into a shield, for example. Equip the shield and all your ice damage gets that bonus whether or not the shield is actually out or not.

Capture.jpg~original
  • gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    On Scepters:

I actually have one on my Might/Finesse character that I sometimes use for bosses and other fights where I need to stay back. The real advantage of using Scepters is that you don't really need many points in them for them to be useful.

For example, this is my planned build. Note that I'm speccing to get the -10% mana cost ability on the second level of the Sorcery tree. In order to get there, I grab some of the Scepter abilities. And since I'm using the +1 Might/Finesse/Sorcery (level <4) epic gem, I get even more mileage out of them!

http://www.38watch.com/calculator/#2000526556550525002000000100161606405511305521050001400100040000000000000000

Also, unrelated, Shield Bash is really cool when combined with a fast weapon like Faeblades. It'll stagger any human size or smaller enemy and it gives you enough of a window to start a weapon combo.

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Phew! Finished the House of Ballads quest line.
    So I killed the Maid of Windemere and took on the title of King Wencen. I have to admit I'm a little disappointed that things didn't change more? I didn't get kingly chambers, or a kingly crown with awesome stats, or much of anything really. I got that twist of fate card, and some of the NPCs appear to look up to me now. But the House of Ballads is pretty barren now with most of the court having died or fled. Seems like sort of a hollow victory.

I guess if I had to point out one fault with the game its that none of the quests I've done thus far appear to have much impact, or reshape the world much. There is a definite trend of quantity over quality in this game. Still a fantastic game. And I actually am enjoying the stories to most of the side quest thus far. However, a lot of them are very low impact. You can tell the core of the engine was based around combat and big areas, and less around a dynamic and cohesive world. They also seemed to have emphasized being able to do everything in one play through. So no two quest seem to pull you in different directions. Which is interesting, because I never realized until now how boring a game can be when you don't have to make those difficult choices. Playing the Fallout games for example, I'd always just be frustrated that certain quest lines locked me out of others. The grass is always greener and all that I suppose. Who knows, maybe they'll release some DLC that has a really tightly knit new area where various quest will pull you in different directions. I seem to recall hearing that some of Oblivion's best content was in the latter DLCs that were released.

• mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Namrok wrote:
    Phew! Finished the House of Ballads quest line.
    So I killed the Maid of Windemere and took on the title of King Wencen. I have to admit I'm a little disappointed that things didn't change more? I didn't get kingly chambers, or a kingly crown with awesome stats, or much of anything really. I got that twist of fate card, and some of the NPCs appear to look up to me now. But the House of Ballads is pretty barren now with most of the court having died or fled. Seems like sort of a hollow victory.

I guess if I had to point out one fault with the game its that none of the quests I've done thus far appear to have much impact, or reshape the world much. There is a definite trend of quantity over quality in this game. Still a fantastic game. And I actually am enjoying the stories to most of the side quest thus far. However, a lot of them are very low impact. You can tell the core of the engine was based around combat and big areas, and less around a dynamic and cohesive world. They also seemed to have emphasized being able to do everything in one play through. So no two quest seem to pull you in different directions. Which is interesting, because I never realized until now how boring a game can be when you don't have to make those difficult choices. Playing the Fallout games for example, I'd always just be frustrated that certain quest lines locked me out of others. The grass is always greener and all that I suppose. Who knows, maybe they'll release some DLC that has a really tightly knit new area where various quest will pull you in different directions. I seem to recall hearing that some of Oblivion's best content was in the latter DLCs that were released.

Yuppers. Choice dont matter cause nothing story wise matters. Go bash shit and get loot; thats the part that is fun as a ll hell.

i wish they had not gone with the MMO (!) quest system. Made you talk to folks to get the Q's. would have made it more personal. I dunno.

I am slowly starting to hate everything in this game that is not loot, char building or combat. But its still very very fun.

Pure finesse is ridiculous in the best way. between the bow, bleeds, poison, and bombs i hardly even hit people twice. And bosses? They cant survive 1 sneak attack. Its really awesome. Boss is all like "RAWR I'm orange you are in the shit now! Prepare to taste my- <smoke bomb> oh where did you go? <stab stab stab> MY ORGANS!!!!!!!! OH GOD MAKE IT STOP!!!! "

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I honestly can't decide which method of giving quest I like better. Having the markers on quest givers is helpful, saves times, and streamlines the game. However, it also takes some of the wonder and exploration out of the game. Me being a greedy gamer wants the best of both worlds. I just have no clue how a developer would accomplish it. I do recall a settings options to turn off a lot of those waypoints on the map, but I'm not sure exactly how much it turns off. Also, I find it fascinating that most people on this thread have talked about how essential detect hidden is in illuminating things on the minimap. Which makes me think people want MORE information explicitly given to them than less.

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Sadly one of the nice things now about the story not mattering is that I do actually murder NPS and steal from random loot chests in town without doing OCD backup saves or worrying I'll break the game.

The game is really about how pimp you can make your guy which makes the lack of difficulty more of a problem

PSN SeGaTai
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote:
    I honestly can't decide which method of giving quest I like better. Having the markers on quest givers is helpful, saves times, and streamlines the game. However, it also takes some of the wonder and exploration out of the game. Me being a greedy gamer wants the best of both worlds. I just have no clue how a developer would accomplish it. I do recall a settings options to turn off a lot of those waypoints on the map, but I'm not sure exactly how much it turns off. Also, I find it fascinating that most people on this thread have talked about how essential detect hidden is in illuminating things on the minimap. Which makes me think people want MORE information explicitly given to them than less.

its a tough deal. Skyrim you walk into a town and something BIG to do there presents itself- and there is generally more lil quests if you talk to a few folks. Now in that case i will generally miss some cool stuff but it makes the world feel.... bigger. And there will be other play throughs so ill have new things.

In amalur its all laid out. Chase (!) till there are no more. take skills to find more hidden junk chase that too. Level level level. Only reason to play twice is to try another build but you can do that at a fateweaver... so... I'm done I guess?

Honestly the sequel to this game may be one of the finest ever created if they work out the story/world/questing system side and tinker slightly with combat.

Maybe part of the disconnect is that this is a story that sets up the greater world for future games- which it is. But none of the NPCs are personal/ emotionally matter. Your character has no real arc or personality- You were pooped out of the the well; you killed things as you moved from left to right on a map towards your ultimate goal. faction quests have choice but none of it matters. It would be amazing if some of those choices had major repercussions like turning a town hostile- or maybe choice causes a previous zone to change and fall to the tuatha or some other threat.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    I'm going to play it twice because I generally enjoy playing it and don't just want to Fateweave at level 40 to 'try out' the other builds for a bit, I want different characters for them.

I don't feel compelled to chase anything or level. I've just been exploring, talking to everyone and more than anything else gawking at the fucking beautiful scenery. Seriously, the thing I say to myself more than anything else is oh my god this world is pretty.

• SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    So, are there any slick looking armor sets such as the one the the main quest fateweaver wears? I like playing as a Might character but I wish that there were more sleek looking armors.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    How do you guys hoard so much money? I am constantly around 500k -700k but then I have to repair all my uniques and it costs like, 200k.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    How do you guys hoard so much money? I am constantly around 500k -700k but then I have to repair all my uniques and it costs like, 200k.

aren't repair kits like 40 gold apiece?

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
    Griswold wrote:
    Klyka wrote:

I think repair kits cost even less than that.

• GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    mojojoeo wrote:
    Griswold wrote:
    Klyka wrote:

I think repair kits cost even less than that.

well obv depends on your mercantile skill but yeah, they're cheap

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
    Pff, repair kits, I help the economy and go to a blacksmith!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Hoping someone here has figured out this sidequest that was driving me nuts last night.

In the plains you find a journal and your told to place colored stones into these three urns which will summon a boggart? It seems totally random as I’ve played around with the order in which to place them, even got the little bugger to appear but nothing happened after that. I’ve searched my inventory, hoping to find the journal to at least read it and get some clues to the correct order, but no luck.

Basically I’ve no idea what to do and I just want it out of my friggin quest log.

I haven't found that quest yet, I'll tell you if I can finish it when I do.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • cmerccmerc Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Maximum wrote:
    Hoping someone here has figured out this sidequest that was driving me nuts last night.

In the plains you find a journal and your told to place colored stones into these three urns which will summon a boggart? It seems totally random as I’ve played around with the order in which to place them, even got the little bugger to appear but nothing happened after that. I’ve searched my inventory, hoping to find the journal to at least read it and get some clues to the correct order, but no luck.

Basically I’ve no idea what to do and I just want it out of my friggin quest log.

I found that one last time I played, I think it's just a repeatable task to get some exp but nothing more. I kinda hate you can't get rid of the "tasks" in your quest log actually because most of them are pointless.

cmerc on
  • gehrig38gehrig38 Registered User regular
    Glad to see you guys enjoying this, and some folks working on replaying.
    We are hearing you, camera, difficulty, all that, and working where we can to create the perfect player experience.
    Fascinating to read the variances in feedback on things like art, combat, dialogue and questing. To some it's deep, rich, awesome, to others it was totally uneventful.
    FWIW on my PC playthru I think I just hit 13 last night, heading to meet up with Alyn Shir again, as well as nearing the end of the house of ballads line.
    Full sorcery build....Loving my Chakrams.

• captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Camera is the big one for me. Some of the work your environmental artists have done is incredible. But it can be hard to see because the camera is perched right behind my character's back all the time. It would also help combat. I have a hard time seeing enemies that are left and right of me.

captaink on
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Maximum wrote:

Unfortunately the quest remains a task because you can do it any time to get a buff / get another boggart.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
    gehrig38 wrote:
    We are hearing you, camera, difficulty, all that, and working where we can to create the perfect player experience.
    Fascinating to read the variances in feedback on things like art, combat, dialogue and questing. To some it's deep, rich, awesome, to others it was totally uneventful.
    FWIW on my PC playthru I think I just hit 13 last night, heading to meet up with Alyn Shir again, as well as nearing the end of the house of ballads line.

Chakrams are filthy. Just a fun one to use.

Even with the (subjective) bad stuff, this game is one hell of a foundation for the future. Day 1 purchaser of next 1 for sure.

How are sales? If specifics are not to be released, are you guys pleased with the performance of the game?

• gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    gehrig38 wrote:

My main balance suggestions would be to weaken Blacksmithing by a fair bit and remove the damage bonus from Reckoning mode. It would also be nice if every character had 0.1 health regen/sec by default, but that's more a QOL improvement than anything else.

• MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Maximum wrote:

Unfortunately the quest remains a task because you can do it any time to get a buff / get another boggart.

I feel stupid for not realizing this sooner and wasting twenty minutes on it but Thanks!

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    gehrig38 wrote:

You know it, man! I love the immense power a pure Mage can wield. Unstoppable magic badasses :^:

Can't wait for the DLC expansions to start rolling out :D

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I got the quest to help Didenhill Village collect stuff for fire potions. I've done it probably a couple hundred times now. Is it just repeatable forever or am I doing something wrong?

Also, does it matter if I go to the Plains or Desert after the forest? I'm in the Plains right now, I did stop in the desert for the arena stuff though.

Loving the game though, can't wait for some DLC.

Blendtec on
    Blendtec wrote:
    I got the quest to help Didenhill Village collect stuff for fire potions. I've done it probably a couple hundred times now. Is it just repeatable forever or am I doing something wrong?

Also, does it matter if I go to the Plains or Desert after the forest? I'm in the Plains right now, I did stop in the desert for the arena stuff though.

It's a repeatable quest that will never end, yeah.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    Blendtec wrote:

It's a repeatable quest that will never end, yeah.

I want to make some kinda rap or dance track just with that quest giver saying "Tindertwig", cause that's all I ever get out of him, just so used to clicking through it to get the money.