As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning] DLC on March 20th! Info in OP.

1568101133

Posts

  • Options
    SyrionusSyrionus Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Anyone else using hammers? I don't feel devastating enough with them, like im sacrificing speed for not enough crushing. They seem to pair poorly with scepters.

    Where can I respec?

    I am using Hammers on my 360 Paladin build. I find them to be the most satisfying weapon in the game.
    Spectrum wrote:
    Hammers are pretty trash at crowd control, but once you get high enough to pick up the increased damage to stunned enemies and the ability to ignore stagger, they can absolutely destroy.

    They are, however, not great with Scepters. If you're Might/Sorcery, pick Chakrams instead. Get a leveled Storm Bolt for the stun as well.

    Yeah, I am using Chakrams as my secondary

    Syrionus on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I finally bought this on steam. Originally I was holding out as I was a bit miffed about not getting the fate touched weapons. Yet, even that couldn't dissuade me for long.

    Didn't get to try it yet as I had to go to work, but I really am looking forward to it.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    It's a good thing because the fate preorder weapons are completely useless. I was annoyed I spent time on the phone with Best Buy getting the code because it wasn't on my receipt. All it ended up doing was taking up inventory space. Though I think they sell for a bit so I suppose it's a little chunk of gold off the bat.

    EDIT: Nope, fate weapons: 0gold.

    The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

  • Options
    tehkensaitehkensai Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    Spectrum wrote:
    Triple B wrote:
    gehrig38 wrote:
    Glad to see you guys enjoying this, and some folks working on replaying.
    We are hearing you, camera, difficulty, all that, and working where we can to create the perfect player experience.
    Fascinating to read the variances in feedback on things like art, combat, dialogue and questing. To some it's deep, rich, awesome, to others it was totally uneventful.
    FWIW on my PC playthru I think I just hit 13 last night, heading to meet up with Alyn Shir again, as well as nearing the end of the house of ballads line.
    Full sorcery build....Loving my Chakrams.

    First, allow me to say that I am not worthy. *bends the knee*

    Second, thanks for breaking the curse. We really appreciated that. :D

    Third, the game is awesome. That said, I feel if there's ever a sequel, it needs a few changes. One would be a greater variety of enemies. Not to say that mercilessly slaughtering boggarts, trolls, and woodland creatures for 60 hours isn't curiously satisfying. :P Another change I'd casually suggest would be to implement some kind of property ownership system, a-la the Fable series. I don't use beds anymore in Amalur because I've actually begun sleeping on top of the pile of money I've accrued, as there is not very much available to spend it on. The gear I've looted has universally been superior to anything vendors have had available, and I can't spend 4 million gold on lockpicks and repair kits (not for lack of trying.) I know I'd end up with a mountain of gold at end-game regardless, but to have some kind of money-sink to serve as a distraction in the meantime would be a plus. Just a thought. Keep up the good work!
    Given the kind of craphole that the world was, it might have been interesting to have a township ownership type thing where you can find a plot of land, then sink lots and lots (and lots) of gold into it to make it livable/defensible, then go out and recruit/offer for people to live there and start their lives up again. Think that system appeared first back in the Breath of Fire days?

    Town building minigames are one of my horrible vices

    I spent roughly a million hours playing Fairy Sim City in BoF3

    For the love of god this. Any game that has a town building sim/thing in it I get ridicilously addicted to. BoF, Suikoden...NWN2 had a pretty good one too.

    THIIIIIS

    jAhPU.jpg
  • Options
    BevilrBevilr Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So I'm about 50 hours in and had been trying to do most quests I could . . . and I'm really bored. So bored in fact I'm not 100% sure I'm going to bother finishing this.


    Things I love:
    -I love walking into a new area and seeing the art/design, the first time I got to one of the real cities on the coast I was stunned, especially after having seen so many small towns. It made me feel like the world was really inhabited (albeit with a weird lack of farms).
    -Great animations. Combat, walking, running, swimming, and the leaps and jumps especially, all look very good.
    -The lorestones are great to listen to, and having books to read could be cool if I was more into the lore.
    -Enemies are interesting or new though limited, and you often find strategies that work against one type, don't against another, making me switch my combat style.
    -Lots of voice acting on every character! I don't always listen to what ever single person has to say because frankly it's not usually very interesting, but I appreciate it and I want more games to do this. Stumbling across someone and being able to ask them their world view is awesome.
    -The crafting (and alchemy!) in general has been pretty cool. I like games where you can craft things that are better than what you find in the world, and right now I'm wearing all crafted armor which I got to customize to suit my play style. The ability to compare something you're about to craft to your equipment is also super helpful!
    -Lots of content! I'm at hour 49, and I can tell there's still lots left to do, and a few areas I've yet to see.

    Things I hate:
    -Unless you rush ahead to areas you probably shouldn't be in yet the combat is just way too easy - especially once you get gems/equipment that gives you health regen buffs, I can sit behind my shield (which I never use in combat) and actively gain more health than I lose.
    -The train of combos gets boring to repeat over and over again, and I've tried out all the weapon types, but ultimately decided that the spamming Chackram/Longsword combo that I seized on 10 hours in is still the best.
    -Quests, with only a few exceptions are horribly generic, and when they aren't, the writing is terrible and you finish the quest with the feeling that what you did made no changes on the world around you. I know it's a hard comparison, but after the Diaedric and Dark Brotherhood quests in Skyrim, and the factional quests in F3:NV, immersion and good storytelling as part of the quests feels like an essential marker of a good RPG.
    -The "get new loot to kill more monsters to get more loot to kill more monsters" progression of this game is something I generally like (the Diablo formula, but Torchwood proved there were was to keep it fresh) but the UI in this game is an absolute pain in the ass. The menu trees are simple, but to get to the screen where I can examine a weapon I just picked up (because I couldn't look at it's stats while it was in a container), I need to click through 3 menus, and since I can't look at things until they are in my inventory that means that every time I pick up some new equipment I'd have to click through 3 menus to see it, which I've just stopped doing because now that I have the detect hidden skill there are chests/loot piles every 10 steps each with 1 plausibly good item.
    -With the ability to totally respec your character at will comes a complete lack of attachment to him. He could not be more boring and flavorless, and since my decisions in quests mean nothing, it's even worse.
    -Stealth can be okay sometimes, but if I'm about to get into a fight with more than 3 enemies it usually isn't worth it. The time it takes to sneak up on someone vs the reward is RARELY worth it, and considering how much faster I could kill any given enemy with just a long sword attack combo - not really worth it, especially if there is ANY risk I will get seen before I sneak attack.

    TL;DR: Despite great art, lots of lore and good crafting/alchemy, lots of boring or meaningless quests, a flavorless main character and repetitive UIs/combat makes me want to walk away even after 50 hours of commitment.


    Was wondering if anyone else had similar feelings, or was as disappointed that the formula for the game got as repetitive as it was for me. The single player MMO comment gets thrown around a lot, and I understand that - doing some of the repetitive tasks in this game would be way more fun if I did it with a party of friends.

    Bevilr on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I have to agree that the lack of difficulty in the combat is beginning to drain my interest in the game - especially because I have outleveled all the enemies in the outside areas of the desert land. The exploration and finding new stuff still keeps me playing, but I am disappointed in having this awesome combat system and nothing worth actually fighting.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I will never be disappointed with respec options. After 28 hours of playing a pure Might character in Amalur, I was getting bored of the playstyle and wanted to try something new. If I couldn't respec, I'd have to either make a new character and do all that content again or just trudge onward. If you don't like respec options, don't use them.

    I haven't had too many complaints with the side-quests. I've enjoyed a lot of them, particularly the main and faction quests, though I do enjoy the latter more in Amalur than Skyrim. Skyrim's faction quests moved at an breakneck, awkward pace. They've felt more fleshed out and substantial in this game. If you're tired of those random quests, ignore them for now and just focus on the meatier ones.

    Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The faction quests and some side quests have been pretty decent, if sometimes wonky in how you can often do everything required to be solving one yet not be able to activate/resolve the quest unless you find the quest giver. The Unquiet Bride is a classic example of that and I found quite frustrating actually. I also find that I now don't bother exploring anymore, I just find quest givers and then go to whatever dungeon it is I need to. This is because if you explore somewhere, as you won't be able to pick up a quest midway in many cases you will just need to go back through areas again when you get that dungeons relevant quest. I'm not sure if this has caused me to miss any content or not - as I think there is a quest that directs you through most areas.

    But the lack of difficulty in combat is really beginning to bug me considerably. Thankfully, I do know if I am getting bored, once I finish with all the thief stuff I can just respec and do something else for more variety. I might actually just change character entirely from Finesse to Might/Sorcery or whatever else I feel like. It won't change combat being too easy, but at least it will mean I will be killing things in an entirely new way and help make the game feel fresh.

    I kind of hope for a Borderlands esque patch, which rebalances the way the level scaling works and thus adds back in some difficulty. Borderlands difficulty also became a complete joke, because you could easily out level the enemies and they never caught up. A patch brought the enemies scaling back up and added much tougher variants along with it: Ensuring that on a playthrough 2 you DID need to pay attention or you could get badly shot up.

    Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Bevilr wrote:
    Was wondering if anyone else had similar feelings, or was as disappointed that the formula for the game got as repetitive as it was for me. The single player MMO comment gets thrown around a lot, and I understand that - doing some of the repetitive tasks in this game would be way more fun if I did it with a party of friends.

    oh yes, my friend. I'm right outside the final boss and I just don't give the slightest of fucks about playing for 10 more minutes because I really do not have any motivation left, mostly for reasons that you touched on. it's a very pretty game with a lot of broken mechanics and no soul to it, as far as I'm concerned, and I really hope some dlc will redeem it for me because with just the slightest tweaks it would be completely playable.

    Torgairon on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    The final boss is supposedly ridiculously easy, so if you are that far you might as well pummel his face in for the sake of it.

    Also, as I have mentioned this before I've died 5 times now in the 45ish or so hours I've put into the game. 4 of those times were just being one shot by accidentally failing a very hard dispel (which sometimes does insane damage instead of cursing you). The other time I died was to a bug where an enemy hit me while I was behind him (was pretty funny though). This means that dispelling chests has been four times more dangerous to me than actually fighting enemies.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Heh.

    I was just thinking that Dispelling is about right as far as difficulty goes. I have almost no points in Dispelling so I just avoid Hard chests since I know I can't take them.

    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I can usually get hard/very hard without too much effort, but sometimes I mess up and just accept the curse. On the other hand, when you fail a very hard chest and it doesn't curse you if it's a chest of your level the damage is *absurd*. They will very nearly one shot me and if I'm not on the ball with a potion I'll die, this is when I don't get one shot in the first place of course. First time it happened I couldn't even believe it.

    I respect the very hard chests now: I always save before trying to dispel them.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Given the availability and speed of healing in the game the Chests pretty much have to be one shots if you're going to care. If the combat in general was more threatening the curses would also have been a good mechanic for them but as you say, it's easy to just go "Ho hum, extra damage you say?"

    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Extra typed damage is a big deal if you're in an area with guys who do primarily that damage.

    For example, getting additional Lightning damage in Ettinmere is practically a death sentence, since those giant bolts now take off like 75% health if you get nailed by one.

    Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I chose not to heal any curses while in ettinmere just to keep things interesting... ended up with the lighting one and some others, I also was not allowed to use reckoning. Died quite a few times let me tell you.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I've taken to doing entire dungeons utterly naked. Now that is quite interesting I can assure you.

    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I keep seeing screenshots where the colours are more vibrant.
    How do people do that?

  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Bevilr wrote:
    Things I hate:
    -Stealth can be okay sometimes, but if I'm about to get into a fight with more than 3 enemies it usually isn't worth it. The time it takes to sneak up on someone vs the reward is RARELY worth it, and considering how much faster I could kill any given enemy with just a long sword attack combo - not really worth it, especially if there is ANY risk I will get seen before I sneak attack.

    I don't know. I personally think Stealth's a huge help. I'm playing full Finesse on Hard mode. I do believe that the combat should be harder (at least on the harder difficulties; my wife is playing on Normal, and she loves it. She probably wouldn't play it if it were really hard, but I want the hardest difficulty to be a serious pain in the ass), but there are still packs of enemies that can kick my ass in a couple of seconds if something goes wrong. Oftentimes, it's not that combat is super-challenging or anything, but when I die, it's usually because I didn't expect to get hit as hard as I did. You know what I mean? Or I get caught in a quick combo I wasn't expecting. Thinning out the crowd with a sneak attack really helps me maintain control of the battlefield.

    I can usually outright kill my initial target, and then start comboing into the second while the others are just begining to respond. I have a pretty mean opening combo, and I can almost always take down that second target. But even if I cant, taking down that first target's really helpful.

    Anyway, I think Stealth's cool. That's what I'm getting at. Your mileage may vary.

  • Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    You guys know that for dispelling chests (and lockpicking too), you can just abuse the constant 10% force dispel chance by saving/loading right?
    Rizzi wrote:
    I keep seeing screenshots where the colours are more vibrant.
    How do people do that?

    The FXAA injector for Skyrim works on this also. More details can be had here.

    Me, I think the game is OK as it is. Might try the FOV fix though.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sorcha RavenlockSorcha Ravenlock Registered User regular
    I can see why people are disappointed in the difficulty. This game had fallen completely of my radar once I heard that combat was player skill based because I know I'm really bad at that. However, now I've got the game I can happily play on normal, while turning the difficulty down to casual for boss battles. So I am delighted, because I'm loving this game so much! Needless to say I do hope that if the difficulty gets patched they'll add a new difficulty rather then changing the ones we have now.

    Dispelling is too hard for me, and for now I'm just ignoring chests that need to be dispelled. I'm finding so much gold and loot anyway, and there is no guaranty there's actually anything good in those chests.

    The game has left me pleasantly surprised though, I can't get over how amazing it looks, feels and plays. I love the fact that I'm able to respec and change my look, those were features Skyrim lacked in my opinion. It's great for people like me who keep rolling alts: I went from pure mage, to battlemage, to pure warrior and now I'm Might/finesse with a great sword and a bow. But I didn't have to repeat any content to try out those different playstyles and that is awesome. I'm sure I'll replay this game once I'm done with it at some point, but it's nice to be able to keep going on a first playthrough.

  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I can't do dispelling because of some crazy input lag on my system, but frankly even playing on hard I have no problem just attempting the auto dispel with its crap 10% chance of success and eating the damage and curse it puts on me.

    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Oh my bloody hell, stealth killing gnomes is brutal. I just stabbed one through the back and used the dagger to lift him into the air, holding him there for a few moments as he gasped and clawed at his chest until he gently slid down the blade and died. D:

    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    I'm having more fun with my rogue character on hard doing only main quests than the 7 hours I spent on my main guy on normal doing every quest.

    Seriously, I loved how I couldnt just walk up to a orange guy and button smash my way to victory, I had to plan my attacks accordingly so I woukdnt get wrecked with his hammer or magic. I loved that because of my mistakes I was taking way too much damage and had to use multiple potions. I loved how if I was good enough while fighting him I would actually topple the guy to set up for my charged ability for extra combo fate damage.

    All of you saying this game is too easy, make a new guy on hard and just do the main quests. It makes the game more exciting and makes me less sleepy.

    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    Do you guys keep all your uniques/sets or just vendor them once they're useless? Trying to be a packrat, but inventory size limits are getting pretty irritating.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote:
    I'm having more fun with my rogue character on hard doing only main quests than the 7 hours I spent on my main guy on normal doing every quest.

    Seriously, I loved how I couldnt just walk up to a orange guy and button smash my way to victory, I had to plan my attacks accordingly so I woukdnt get wrecked with his hammer or magic. I loved that because of my mistakes I was taking way too much damage and had to use multiple potions. I loved how if I was good enough while fighting him I would actually topple the guy to set up for my charged ability for extra combo fate damage.

    All of you saying this game is too easy, make a new guy on hard and just do the main quests. It makes the game more exciting and makes me less sleepy.

    While I'm really considering doing this you just said "Ignore like 90% of the game, including some of the best quests." If they have any damn sense in their head they're already working on a fix to slow level gains way the fuck down or at least give us a difficulty that does that.

    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote:
    I'm having more fun with my rogue character on hard doing only main quests than the 7 hours I spent on my main guy on normal doing every quest.

    Seriously, I loved how I couldnt just walk up to a orange guy and button smash my way to victory, I had to plan my attacks accordingly so I woukdnt get wrecked with his hammer or magic. I loved that because of my mistakes I was taking way too much damage and had to use multiple potions. I loved how if I was good enough while fighting him I would actually topple the guy to set up for my charged ability for extra combo fate damage.

    All of you saying this game is too easy, make a new guy on hard and just do the main quests. It makes the game more exciting and makes me less sleepy.

    While I'm really considering doing this you just said "Ignore like 90% of the game, including some of the best quests." If they have any damn sense in their head they're already working on a fix to slow level gains way the fuck down or at least give us a difficulty that does that.

    True. I am level 12 on my main guy all through sidequests. I haven't even talked to Aragath after the house murder. (Like the second/third main quest)

    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    BevilrBevilr Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote:
    I'm having more fun with my rogue character on hard doing only main quests than the 7 hours I spent on my main guy on normal doing every quest.

    Seriously, I loved how I couldnt just walk up to a orange guy and button smash my way to victory, I had to plan my attacks accordingly so I woukdnt get wrecked with his hammer or magic. I loved that because of my mistakes I was taking way too much damage and had to use multiple potions. I loved how if I was good enough while fighting him I would actually topple the guy to set up for my charged ability for extra combo fate damage.

    All of you saying this game is too easy, make a new guy on hard and just do the main quests. It makes the game more exciting and makes me less sleepy.

    I've seen a lot of comments saying "too easy? just respec," but that's part of the problem - I have respec'd to almost everything. I started off might/magic, then went might/finesse, tried pure finesse. I will agree with you that pure finesse seemed to give me some of the most interesting combat, but it often slowed it down to unreasonably slow. Planting a fire cracker and stabbing one dude off the back of the pack would take just as longer than if I headed straight into the fight daggers flying. After the pure finesse build I tried pure magic and pure might to see how things were, and magic's charkram spam is probably the most overpowered weapon in the game. Pure might made me such an unkillable tank that it felt like I had turned god mode on, which while amusing for a couple hours really shot the difficult in the knees.


    I did however forget to mention that I did like the lockpicking/dispelling mini-games. I have yet to run out of lockpicks, but I rarely have more than about 12 or so in my inventory which I think is a totally reasonable amount. Dispelling can be HARD, and it took me well past the half way mark of my play through to get the timing down - up until that point I was failing even easy chests. The curses they give are suitably bad, and curing them will sometimes make you immune to that curse (a great feature in my eyes). Obviously with the lack of anything to spend money on, getting those curses cured isn't really a problem, but I like the idea, and with some tweaking it could be even better.

    A couple comments on the gold problem: When vendors never having anything good, and there's a dearth of anything else to spend any large amount of gold on, it makes me not want to bother picking up and selling items. I currently have about 750K because for a very long time I was a pack rat and picked up absolutely everything, and either sold it or broke it down for parts, but now I just destroy a lot of it for the 15% gold return, and move on so I don't have to go back to town after clearing every two dungeons. Not sure I feel that's a good thing or a bad thing, just feels a bit weird.

    Someone mentioned the property buying mini games in Fable, and in my opinion, the property/money managing in Fable 3 in particular was great. There was this feeling that right up until the very end of the game (when I had bought every single property) that not only was there still things to buy, but so many things that I could reduce my gold supply to 0, wait a bit for the rent to come in, and do it again, and again and again. The original KoTOR all these years later still has the most balanced gold management system in a game I've played. Over the course of the single player, if you saved up and did every quest, you had a little bit of wiggle room to buy those super awesome vendor items, and if you squeezed every penny you could go to that lizard dude on the Yavin IV station and buy the absolutely ridiculous light sabers and armor and it would make the final two areas a bit easier and yourself significantly more awesome looking. However, those items were so expensive I couldn't buy a health pack afterwards, and had to sell some legitimately useful things I wish I had kept to afford them, and they weren't available to me until right before that final fight, not that I could have afforded them earlier. This may sound weird, but I want to be just as broke at the end of the game as I was at the beginning, because making hard choices about what to do with my gold (to me at least) is a mark of a well balanced game and makes you commit to things in a way that draws me in.

  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Pff, skipping quests, just arrived in Rathir after 46 hours and I have done every single quest in Dalentarth, Detyre and the Plains.
    120+ quests done :D

    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    spitfirekspitfirek Registered User regular
    I started a rogue/caster hybrid on normal and it was way too easy. Everyone told me that might was super cheese easy, so I started another toon as might... not really my cup o' tea, I never really liked god of war type combat(especially w/o a controller). My friend told me that straight up casting was fun, so I tried that and WOW so much more fun than any of the other styles Ive played. I started another toon on hard and playing full caster and loving it.

    As a caster you have little defense so you have to dodge around and try to avoid things(which is fun), and with the fire spell you are also trying to line up enemies so you can mark multiple ones at once. Then BOOM! and they are all dead :rotate: The 2nd tier arcane weaponry is great with staves also, you can pull stuff together and them mark them all at once.

    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Something I noticed in the demo but haven't seen mentioned.

    If you hover over the item in the popup window (before you reflexively click take all) you can press a button to compare it to your current equipment and then you can press it again to equip it.
    This last little equip bit was a pretty fanastic touch. You can also add it to your junk screen.

    You guys who don't know about it should really be using these features.

    Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Something I noticed in the demo but haven't seen mentioned.

    If you hover over the item in the popup window (before you reflexively click take all) you can press a button to compare it to your current equipment and then you can press it again to equip it.
    This last little equip bit was a pretty fanastic touch. You can also add it to your junk screen.

    You guys who don't know about it should really be using these features.

    Yeah, are the button prompts not there for KBAM controls? I use my 360 controller and very rarely have to actually go equip stuff through the menu.

  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Maybe it's because I'm playing a pure sorcery character, but I don't think the game is easy at all.

    In new areas, I need to plan all my battles, or the enemies will gang up on me and I'll die. I need to zip from place to place with my ice teleport and hope nothing hits me. As soon as I get hit, I flinch, which gives the enemy the chance to chain its attacks and allows the rest of the enemies to catch up to me. Then I'll be in the middle of a mob, getting hit from every side and not being able to do a goddamn thing.

    I die all the time. Every hit takes a large chunk from my health bar. I've bought like fifty minor health potions and I chug them down like water. I need to rhythmically tap the health potion key to keep from dying. It's like a rhythm game in that I need to keep it up while I desperately try to fight my way out of a mob and gain enough space to charge one of my bigger spells.

    I've taken to divide-and-conquer type tactics. I cautiously approach a mob, standing just outside their range of perception, and hit a single enemy with a lightning spell, which is the only spell I have that targets from a relatively long distance. Then I run like hell to a clearing somewhere and take it out. I repeat the process until they're all dead.

    Maybe it'll make the game too easy, but I really hope I get the wide-area fire spell soon. Then I can fry the fuckers from a distance.

    It's possible that I'm just playing the game wrong, because I hate using reckoning mode and usually just save them for boss battles. I don't blacksmith or sagecraft anything either. Also, I've been trying to find all the trainers with a minimum amount of fateweaving, which means running into unknown territory, trailing a huge number or enemies I've collected along the way, and hoping I'll find the city with the skill trainer before they catch up to me. That might also be the reason why much of the equipment I find is underpowered, since I'll have a higher level by the time I explore an area thoroughly.

    Maybe the game will get easier as I level up some more, but I'm not at that point yet.

    [EDIT] I don't use my shield either. It's not the game-play type I like.

    TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    spitfirekspitfirek Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    captaink wrote:
    Something I noticed in the demo but haven't seen mentioned.

    If you hover over the item in the popup window (before you reflexively click take all) you can press a button to compare it to your current equipment and then you can press it again to equip it.
    This last little equip bit was a pretty fanastic touch. You can also add it to your junk screen.

    You guys who don't know about it should really be using these features.

    Yeah, are the button prompts not there for KBAM controls? I use my 360 controller and very rarely have to actually go equip stuff through the menu.

    If you are using KB/M controls you can right-click on the item and compare and then there is the option buttons in the lower corner to equip/junk/etc. A little less friendly than the controller, but slightly less annoying than picking it up -> pressing "i" -> manually equipping it -> getting back out of menu.

    TeaSpoon wrote:
    Maybe it's because I'm playing a pure sorcery character, but I don't think the game is easy at all.

    In new areas, I need to plan all my battles, or the enemies will gang up on me and I'll die. I need to zip from place to place with my ice teleport and hope nothing hits me. As soon as I get hit, I flinch, which gives the enemy the chance to chain its attacks and allows the rest of the enemies to catch up to me. Then I'll be in the middle of a mob, getting hit from every side and not being able to do a goddamn thing.

    I die all the time. Every hit takes a large chunk from my health bar. I've bought like fifty minor health potions and I chug them down like water. I need to rhythmically tap the health potion key to keep from dying. It's like a rhythm game in that I need to keep it up while I desperately try to fight my way out of a mob and gain enough space to charge one of my bigger spells.

    I've taken to divide-and-conquer type tactics. I cautiously approach a mob, standing just outside their range of perception, and hit a single enemy with a lightning spell, which is the only spell I have that targets from a relatively long distance. Then I run like hell to a clearing somewhere and take it out. I repeat the process until they're all dead.

    Maybe it'll make the game too easy, but I really hope I get the wide-area fire spell soon. Then I can fry the fuckers from a distance.

    It's possible that I'm just playing the game wrong, because I hate using reckoning mode and usually just save them for boss battles. I don't blacksmith or sagecraft anything either. Also, I've been trying to find all the trainers with a minimum amount of fateweaving, which means running into unknown territory, trailing a huge number or enemies I've collected along the way, and hoping I'll find the city with the skill trainer before they catch up to me. That might also be the reason why much of the equipment I find is underpowered, since I'll have a higher level by the time I explore an area thoroughly.

    Maybe the game will get easier as I level up some more, but I'm not at that point yet.

    [EDIT] I don't use my shield either. It's not the game-play type I like.

    Try to stealth then cast your lightning spell from far range. It will crit for a TON and sometimes the rest of the pack won't even notice you. Also, blocking is great for stopping those chain attacks. Time the block just before they hit and it will parry it and cause them to stagger for a second(plenty of time to get away). I personally would never use a "charge up" ability in this game. They take WAY too long for very little bonus effect.

    spitfirek on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Slimcea wrote:
    Do you guys keep all your uniques/sets or just vendor them once they're useless? Trying to be a packrat, but inventory size limits are getting pretty irritating.
    That's what the house stash is for. I personally keep unique weapons and set items, but not unique armor.

    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Meteor makes magic easy.

  • Options
    gehrig38gehrig38 Registered User regular
    Meteor makes you a hero:)

  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I love the slowdown and the mini-meteors that fly around before the Big One hits.

  • Options
    ZulkirZulkir Registered User regular
    For the house of ballads questline; was I the only one who
    Chose the "let's rule together" option? I thought that was awesome, really sold me on conrinuing the game.

  • Options
    gehrig38gehrig38 Registered User regular
    In game update on my PC playthrough.
    Seems I'm now about to
    meet up with my old friend Formorous Hughes in the Saltwell mines.
    I've procured and upgraded a 2nd home, as well as acquired and upgraded my own mining business, now a virtual entrepreneur it seems!
    Full on Sorcery build, Staff and Chakram wielding tough guy.
    Level 15, and enjoying the hell out of this. Amazing to see content I haven't seen in a long time, woven into the story now.
    Off to meet the little bugger...

  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Gave the demo a try, found it very hard to stop playing. This combat system is REALLY fun! I also like the world and art style alot.

    The plot seems rather generic but I'm more in this for the combat, exploration, and loot fest - if the story and such manages to involve me much then that's more a bonus. It is abit disappointing that the story and world don't try to do something more original, but at the same time I can't be too mad about it. It's not like the story of say Titan Quest was anything special, but damn I played the shit out of that game!

    Oh yeah question: what happens when you beat the main quest, does the game end or can you continue to play on that char and do side quests ect? Is there a newgame+ option? (I'm betting not but devs, I think alot of ppl might like that!)

    Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
Sign In or Register to comment.