As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tokyo Jungle [PSN] - A shining new era / is tip-toeing nearer

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    i have to say again this is the god damn game of the god damn year

you know that dream

that one

about being an overweight cat fighting a hippo on top of some abandoned CD stores

this is that dream

but god dang does it get tough later on, gotta pay real close attention to where food is plentiful on the map or you'll be proper fucked

also my cat wears a headlamp

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    How does one figure out where food will be plentiful from the map? Is that the food bar thing? Does it also show what areas are poisoned? Also, since the number of years tracked at the top is total years, is there a way to know how many years your *current* generation has left to live?

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    Yeah, it's those bars.

I don't believe it shows poisoned but I think there's a way to look at past announcements to see what's been announced; if not that it should show as an event.

I haven't figured out how to see how old my current Pomeranian is either I just judge by when I get that "Stats reduced because of age" thing means time to mount up.

Also, Superior females may not appear unless you've already reached Boss level before you pee four times. I've never seen one show up unless I was.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    So, protip: Pee like a Boss? Huh.

I stole roguelike from NeoGAF. Anyways:

-Same Map
    +Random Questlist
    +Random Spawns
    +Random Location Conditions
    +Permadeath
    +Easy quick death
    +Constant scramble to not die
    +Freedom to roam around and do whatever
    +Feature that makes you go "oh let's see what this [random thing] is OH GOD I'M DEAD" or "Oh please let this [random thing] be an [x] and not [y] OH GOD IT'S DOZENS OF [z] WHAT THE FUCK"
    +Capable of making people say "hahaha I'm invincible nothing can touch me I'll never die OH I'M DEAD"

Yeah I think I'd say it's a roguelike.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Yeah, it's those bars.

I don't believe it shows poisoned but I think there's a way to look at past announcements to see what's been announced; if not that it should show as an event.

I haven't figured out how to see how old my current Pomeranian is either I just judge by when I get that "Stats reduced because of age" thing means time to mount up.

Also, Superior females may not appear unless you've already reached Boss level before you pee four times. I've never seen one show up unless I was.

Age is shown when you pause, it's in the bottom left corner. I've been too afraid to get too old though, so what happens if you hit 16? Do you just die and explode into a pile of bones instantly or something?

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Holy shit. Even with the Fat Cat DLC from PSN+, you do NOT want to fuck with a Silky Terrier, apparently.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Looks like I've got just enough in my wallet to pick this up. Time for my army of Pomeranians to rule Tokyo with an iron (boxing-gloved) paw!

Gilder wrote: »
    Yeah, it's those bars.

Age is shown when you pause, it's in the bottom left corner. I've been too afraid to get too old though, so what happens if you hit 16? Do you just die and explode into a pile of bones instantly or something?

You lose health until DEAD.

Holy shit. Even with the Fat Cat DLC from PSN+, you do NOT want to fuck with a Silky Terrier, apparently.

Really? I owned those bitches. Had me some dog soup.

PikaPuff wrote: »
    protip: Pee like a Boss

new thread title

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Ugh. Want this game.

Is there any way to get a small amount of money into your PSN wallet? I don't want to buy a $20 card. I keep winding up with just a bit left over.

uyvfOQy.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure you can just use your card to add a $5 amount or thereabouts.

wVEsyIc.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I'm wary about putting my card anywhere near PSN after the hacking thing. Where do you do this, though?

uyvfOQy.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I for one have relegated myself to buying PSN cards specifically due to the PSN fiasco.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Housemate bought the game last night, had a surprisingly good first run (he got to like generation 4)... until he ran into a tiger. At night. No matter how bad-ass you are, you don't fuck with a tiger.

We then did a pom+cat run, which was awesome fun and awesome hard. You think keeping fed gets tricky with 1 player, try 2. No, they don't double the food amount, that'd just be silly. I think 3 of my 4 brothers starved to death as we made our way through The Zone Where Nothing Lived to one that had food. Of course, it was covered in miasma. Then we aggro'd an entire zoo worth of animals and died.
    Darn thing is, we took down an elephant. And it went rotten the moment it hit the floor. :(

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Wait, you can pee in this game? WTF? Where?

Some advice from what I've managed so far:
    * Don't let your boss get too old. You lose about 15% of your overall stats and this will transfer over to your offspring. In my opinion, don't go past 10-12 years without claiming a whole territory and mating.
    * Prime females can be determined if they're sparkling. If you don't see those sparkles, she's just an average mate. Leave her on the corner.
    * Desperate, Average and Primes also dictate how many offspring you'll have on the next generation. I got stuck with a Desperate (who also gave me fleas, the bitch) and she sired one offspring. Every time I mate with a Prime, I usually end up with 4-5 brothers.
    * Pollution miasma drops 10 every time you eat/drink from clean sources. You can tell when meat/plants go bad because it'll suddenly turn purple and have a little cloud around it.

Fuck the chick's challenges. First set of challenges is to mark 4 territories (easy), go to Shibuya market (easy) and eat a mushroom (hard because fuck you, food is random). Also, you're very likely to be one-shot by pretty much anything aggressive.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

edited September 2012
    The marking thing is peeing. They just didn't animate it but that's how animals control territories; piss and battle. It's like your own secret peeing.

Played the hell out of this last night. SAME SCREEN COUCH CO-OP IN MY ROGUELIKE?!?!? Thank you baby Jesus.

I got to gen 5 on my Pomeranian but I didn't understand Challenges yet so my stat increase is pretty invisible still but I did unlock the Cat. Switched to the Seki(?) Deer and lasted all of 1 gen before I ran into some dickwolves that buttfucked my venison all over.

Tried the Cat and he's pretty tough to keep full; he starts with a REALLY low hunger rating. Switched back to Deer and had an EPIC HERBIVORE RUN where I made it to Gen 3 and unlocked the Gazelle and Chick. Tried the Chick once and died to a Beagle almost instantly.

Since my game boner refused to go down I ran and bought the DLC and tried the Fat Cat who seemed very meh and didn't last long. But it's nice to see that these alternate color/size animals actually have different stats and challenges. Pretty sure I'm gonna be getting every god dang bit of DLC that comes down the pipe for this.

game of the years

all the years

Magic Pink on
  • CowSharkCowShark Registered User regular

* Don't let your boss get too old. You lose about 15% of your overall stats and this will transfer over to your offspring. In my opinion, don't go past 10-12 years without claiming a whole territory and mating.
    * Prime females can be determined if they're sparkling. If you don't see those sparkles, she's just an average mate. Leave her on the corner.
    * Desperate, Average and Primes also dictate how many offspring you'll have on the next generation. I got stuck with a Desperate (who also gave me fleas, the bitch) and she sired one offspring. Every time I mate with a Prime, I usually end up with 4-5 brothers.
    * Pollution miasma drops 10 every time you eat/drink from clean sources. You can tell when meat/plants go bad because it'll suddenly turn purple and have a little cloud around it.

Fuck the chick's challenges. First set of challenges is to mark 4 territories (easy), go to Shibuya market (easy) and eat a mushroom (hard because fuck you, food is random). Also, you're very likely to be one-shot by pretty much anything aggressive.

If you mark out territory, then sleep as a baby chick, you'll be an adult chicken, which isn't really great, but isn't _as_ shitty as baby chick.

but then you can't be robo-chick

so... consequences

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    went on an unlocking spree and i'm at chapter 8 or so and have 16 animals unlocked

unlockables tree spoiler
    pom -> cat -> beagle -> retreiver -> tosa -> wolf ->

sika deer -> gazelle -> pig -> blackbuck -> sheep -> axis deer -> boar -> goat
    __________-> chick -> rabbit

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    I saw some spolers as to end animals and they get pretty amazingly wacky.

edited September 2012
    CowShark wrote: »

If you mark out territory, then sleep as a baby chick, you'll be an adult chicken, which isn't really great, but isn't _as_ shitty as baby chick.
    Wait, sleep? How do you sleep, except after mating? And what does it do?

Glal on
    edited September 2012
    [edit] Fuck you button, I wanted edit...

Glal on
    Glal wrote: »

Maybe he means saving the game?

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I saw the GB quicklook on this and hnnnnngh I don't think I can put it off. As a Plus user it's only 12 bucks, and it looks fun as hell.

Is it only the one map though? I worry if it'll get repetitive with all those animals, unless it's way larger than what they showed.

And why is PETA not having a shitfest on this game's existence?

Professor Snugglesworth on
    If you go to a nest in territory you've marked without a mate, you have the option to sleep or save instead of mate or save. IIRC

Actually, I think you can't get a mate as a baby chicken, so you'll have to sleep to become adult chicken? Probably?

I saw the GB quicklook on this and hnnnnngh I don't think I can put it off. As a Plus user it's only 12 bucks, and it looks fun as hell.

Is it only the one map though? I worry if it'll get repetitive with all those animals, unless it's way larger than what they showed.

It is just one map that never changes but it has a lot of areas as well as secret areas and the content is randomized even while you're playing.

If you go to a nest in territory you've marked without a mate, you have the option to sleep or save instead of mate or save. IIRC

Actually, I think you can't get a mate as a baby chicken, so you'll have to sleep to become adult chicken? Probably?

Huh, I never went near a nest without my bitch in tow. What does sleeping do for you?

Huh, I never went near a nest without my bitch in tow. What does sleeping do for you?

It changes the time of day, changes what mates are active on the field (so if you only see desperates, you might sleep and see if you get better luck next half-day), and changes the food supply (so if you've got a nightmare of no food on nearby streets, it could be a good idea to nap).

It changes the time of day, changes what mates are active on the field (so if you only see desperates, you might sleep and see if you get better luck next half-day), and changes the food supply (so if you've got a nightmare of no food on nearby streets, it could be a good idea to nap).

holy asses i wish i'd known that

and i even read the manual

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Glal wrote: »

Sleep only shows up as an option if you're a baby chick. It transforms you into an adult chicken (which has much better stats than a baby chick) & makes it so that love interests will start appearing if you control that territory (obviously, you can't mate as a baby chick).

EDIT: Guess I was wrong and you can sleep as anyone. It's most important for baby chicks though.

RainbowDespair on
    I guess I played more Tokyo Jungle than I'd realized. I know weird nuances and shit.

On my JPN copy, I had a hat that was just a headband with a huge steel spike on it, which gave a rad attack power bonus. I wish I had any idea where I got it from.

I guess I played more Tokyo Jungle than I'd realized. I know weird nuances and shit.

On my JPN copy, I had a hat that was just a headband with a huge steel spike on it, which gave a rad attack power bonus. I wish I had any idea where I got it from.

That's the antenna, I got that last night. Pretty sure it just popped from a random treasure box but I could be wrong.

It's pretty awesome on a Seki Deer; those things can actually kick some serious ass.

• Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    I'm so mad I didn't realize this was out. I can't wait to go home and...figure out why I want to play this so much.

edited September 2012
    because

Pomeranian_Puppy.jpg

that kill elephants

Magic Pink on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    I was pretty sold before but now I might leave work an hour early.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

It is just one map that never changes but it has a lot of areas as well as secret areas and the content is randomized even while you're playing.

Oh good, it's randomized.

It's strange, as soon as the Quicklook was over I just had this sudden need to add this game as soon as possible. I wonder if I'm just attracted by the weirdness of it all, but it looks like it has everything I want for a quick pick up and play game.

So fuck it, it's downloading as we speak.

Eat those puppies, Stan. Eat them until you're full.

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    So the DLC costumes are nice. They have infinite durability (0/0) and still give you stat ups. I like the one that increases my hunger by 5 points. And they're free.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    So, I think the power of the spawned in enemies increases as the years go by? I had my best even deer run ended by a velociraptor in the middle of the starting area.

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Was having a good run as a Sika Deer until I got a bit greedy (there were 4 plants right over there and one of my challenges was "eat fruit") and got eaten by a pack of fucking panthers.